• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Character Discussion Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

DustyPumpkin

Smash Lord
NNID
DustyPumpkin
3DS FC
4038-5990-1614
Switch FC
0550-6678-6601
Caution: Somewhat of a rant coming up
So I was just updating some information on my Spyro4Smash4 site, and I noticed that I had received a comment from someone. It was pretty much just a hate comment saying how Spyro is a dead character, he would be a waste of a spot, and the character he/she was supporting was 1,000,000 times better. The opinion didn't hurt my feelings or anything, but I'm just...surprised.
Seriously, I wonder sometimes if people even understand what I write. A character still relevant in the present day can't be called dead. Death means he/she/it is now completely worthless with a hopeless future. The fact that I use recent games as evidence to back my claims and discuss Spyro's importance to that series should make this really obvious.
In addition, and this goes beyond just my dream DLC, a majority of eligible characters cannot be a true "waste" of a spot. As long as they have something special to add to Smash, their addition is hardly pointless. Also, that claim is implying that some other character is more "deserving" of that spot--as if some birthright was taken from him/her/it. This is a fallacious assumption too. There are no places on the roster reserved for anyone. No character is guaranteed for Smash until Sakurai makes the final call.
Moreover, the character he supported--and I'm not going to name who it was--did have decent chances of getting in. But that doesn't make it "better". It'd be hard to make a case for such a subjective claim. And even if a character is unpopular, if one can make a reasonable argument for him/her/it, I don't see what's wrong with supporting that character.
You know, I'm pretty sure that guy was trying to troll me and/or ruin my day. But still, many people likely do share some of these opinions. And so I just felt like saying something about it.
Take it from a Ridley fan, When some bozo comes to you giving poor arguments, awful reasoning and nothing more than pure general hate and or memes for simply wanting your purple dragon in Smash bros, sometimes it's better to just shake your head, take the high road and ignore it

Last edited:

Cutie Gwen

Lovely warrior
Somewhere out there on this big blue marble
Yeah, they initially used his name for publicity. But he has his own niche in that series now. He's not just a nostalgia ticket anymore. As the leader of the Skylanders, Spyro has a new role to fulfill. I see it more like a third incarnation of Spyro. He's not the only important character in the series, but he still is a part of it now.

If you don't use Skylanders, then yes. I don't see why you wouldn't count that game, but yeah. Anyways, I agree with your opinion.

Was it perhaps titled Spyro's Kingdom? Cuz that was the initial version of Skylanders.
Another reboot? Even Sonic is willing to stay in certain timelines.
Nope, it had a different design, a subtitle and Cynder

Burruni

Smash Hero
I remember reading about a Spyro game being ready at the end of the year taking place after the last game that said Spyro in the title. I was so disappointed when I found out the store likely made it up, heard of a new Spyro game, got excited and then the Skylanders happened. It was that moment when I realized that Spyro was never going back...
It could be worse.

Trust me, it could be worse.

Burruni

Smash Hero
Me not playing these is both a blessing and a curse, I don't suffer from their deaths, but I never experienced these games which are treated like sliced bread. Funny enough a friend of mine told me to see Banjo Kazooie's game over screen. Goddamn, Rare didn't care about censors
To be fair, those Rareware games were at a time where game ratings were still in the infancy (due to Mortal Kombat forcing the ESRB into existance).

Conker is a game that was made solely to be an antithesis to the normal "Disney-esque" childishness of talking animal material full of murder, blood, censored cursing, sexual material, and at one point literally has a boss who is a massive opera-singing pile of poo. And it is the greatest boss in gaming history.

The biggest issues by far with Nuts & Bolts and Conker: Reloaded was that it actively made fun and mocked of the original games that fans loved in a very distasteful way.

Edit:
To Quote Nuts & Bolts in the intro to the game "Nobody cares about picking up worthless items nowadays. There's no point to a game if you can't drive fast or blow something up."

Here's that boss though. Click at your own discretion.

Last edited:

Cutie Gwen

Lovely warrior
To be fair, those Rareware games were at a time where game ratings were still in the infancy (due to Mortal Kombat forcing the ESRB into existance).

Conker is a series that was made solely to be an antithesis to the normal "Disney-esque" childishness of talking animal material full of murder, blood, censored cursing, sexual material, and at one point literally has a boss who is a massive opera-singing pile of poo. And it is the greatest boss in gaming history.

The biggest issues by far with Nuts & Bolts and Conker: Reloaded was that it actively made fun and mocked of the original games that fans loved in a very distasteful way.

Here's that boss though. Click at your own discretion.

EVERYONE knows The Great Mighty Poo XD! I was talking about Gruntilda becoming a bombshell with a voice that sounded like she was having an orgasm after stealing Tooty's cuteness. Makes me wonder how Tooty would be as an adult.
How did it mock the originals? Other than a line of Nuts and Bolts saying they'd likely never have the same adventures again

MainJPW

M.T.A
Conker is a game that was made solely to be an antithesis to the normal "Disney-esque" childishness of talking animal material full of murder, blood, censored cursing, sexual material, and at one point literally has a boss who is a massive opera-singing pile of poo. And it is the greatest boss in gaming history.
It didn't start off that way.

JamesDNaux

Smash Hero
NNID
JamesDNaux
I thought they were making fun of the current state of the gaming industry and secretly crying out for help.

My absolute favorite genre is collectathon platformers and I had a good laugh at the ridiculous race at the start.

Burruni

Smash Hero
It didn't start off that way.
Yes. But that is what it became and that was what I was meaning to refer to.

EVERYONE knows The Great Mighty Poo XD! I was talking about Gruntilda becoming a bombshell with a voice that sounded like she was having an orgasm after stealing Tooty's cuteness. Makes me wonder how Tooty would be as an adult.
How did it mock the originals? Other than a line of Nuts and Bolts saying they'd likely never have the same adventures again
Besides Nuts & Bolts saying that the gameplay of the entire series before that game was just collecting pointless objects, Which is by all means a middle finger to the audience. Plus the fact that they demoted every part of Kazooie, the more impactful part of the duo, into just being the hand that holds the wrench.

Conker: Live & Reloaded, from what little I played of it at a friend's house, had to specifically highlight any change that they made in the HD "port," and at one point had Conker point-blank ask them to stop messing with the game. Far less bad and probably comes off humorous in better moods. The Project Sparks thing is Microsoft saying "Yeah, we know you want a sequel but we won't make it."

I thought they were making fun of the current state of the gaming industry and secretly crying out for help.

My absolute favorite genre is collectathon platformers and I had a good laugh at the ridiculous race at the start.
I don't trust them to be THAT meta in their writing. Not with how sour that entire game left in fans mouths after that initial trailer was a bait & switch. Correct me if I'm wrong but the Honeycombs present in that trailer in fact have no role in Nuts & Bolts... because you have no HP.

A10theHero

SSJ Fraud
NNID
A10theHero
Another reboot? Even Sonic is willing to stay in certain timelines.
Nope, it had a different design, a subtitle and Cynder
It says that he came from another place (likely the Legend of Spyro world) to join the Skylanders. So I guess he transcended space and time? I'm not sure really.
There was also gonna be a movie version of the Legend of Spyro series. That sounds closer to what you were talking about. Otherwise, I got nothing. :ohwell:

Cuz it isn't a Spyro game. It's more like what Smash would be if it only had Mario, Luigi, and a bunch of playable OCs, and was an adventure game.
Like I said, I see Skylanders Spyro as the third version of Spyro. It's its own series, but it is a new Spyro. From that perspective, the Legend of Spyro games "isn't a Spyro game" and wouldn't count as well because it's not the original Spyro series. Yet since he still is the main protagonist of the game, we call it a Spyro game. Skylanders is interesting in that it has many protagonists. You choose which one you want to play as. Thus, Spyro is still a main character like in the Legend of Spyro and Spyro series, and we could call it a Spyro game, but since he's not the only choice, he shares this with all the other characters too. So it's also a Trigger Happy game, a Gill Grunt game, a Cynder game, etc. and we group this ownership under the name "Skylanders". But underneath that umbrella term, it still is a Spyro game. It's just bigger than that.

Personally, when I play Skylanders as Spyro, it feels like a Spyro game in the truest sense. It's comparable to the Legend of Spyro games in how it plays. The level design and story progression are very similar. And it shares some elements with the original Spyro games in between the levels. It's more open world since you can choose what you do. And there's a lot to collect. Yes, the character cast and setting are vastly different, but playing as Spyro in that game does give the feeling of playing something like a sequel to the Legend of Spyro (which it canonically is supposed to be, oddly enough).

Last edited:

SMAASH! Puppy

Smash Legend
Like I said, I see Skylanders Spyro as the third version of Spyro. It's its own series, but it is a new Spyro. From that perspective, the Legend of Spyro games "isn't a Spyro game" and wouldn't count as well because it's not the original Spyro series. Yet since he still is the main protagonist of the game, we call it a Spyro game. Skylanders is interesting in that it has many protagonists. You choose which one you want to play as. Thus, Spyro is still a main character like in the Legend of Spyro and Spyro series, and we could call it a Spyro game, but since he's not the only choice, he shares this with all the other characters too. So it's also a Trigger Happy game, a Gill Grunt game, a Cynder game, etc. and we group this ownership under the name "Skylanders". But underneath that umbrella term, it still is a Spyro game. It's just bigger than that.

Personally, when I play Skylanders as Spyro, it feels like a Spyro game in the truest sense. It's comparable to the Legend of Spyro games in how it plays. The level design and story progression are very similar. Yes, the character cast and setting are vastly different, but playing as Spyro in that game does give the feeling of playing something like a sequel to the Legend of Spyro (which it canonically is supposed to be, oddly enough).
So Mario 64=Spyro legands, and Mario Party=Skylanders. What ever you saaaaaaay.

Spazzy_D

Smash Hero
NNID
Spazzy_D
3DS FC
1590-4700-7117
Caution: Somewhat of a rant coming up
So I was just updating some information on my Spyro4Smash4 site, and I noticed that I had received a comment from someone. It was pretty much just a hate comment saying how Spyro is a dead character, he would be a waste of a spot, and the character he/she was supporting was 1,000,000 times better. The opinion didn't hurt my feelings or anything, but I'm just...surprised.
Seriously, I wonder sometimes if people even understand what I write. A character still relevant in the present day can't be called dead. Death means he/she/it is now completely worthless with a hopeless future. The fact that I use recent games as evidence to back my claims and discuss Spyro's importance to that series should make this really obvious.
In addition, and this goes beyond just my dream DLC, a majority of eligible characters cannot be a true "waste" of a spot. As long as they have something special to add to Smash, their addition is hardly pointless. Also, that claim is implying that some other character is more "deserving" of that spot--as if some birthright was taken from him/her/it. This is a fallacious assumption too. There are no places on the roster reserved for anyone. No character is guaranteed for Smash until Sakurai makes the final call.
Moreover, the character he supported--and I'm not going to name who it was--did have decent chances of getting in. But that doesn't make it "better". It'd be hard to make a case for such a subjective claim. And even if a character is unpopular, if one can make a reasonable argument for him/her/it, I don't see what's wrong with supporting that character.
You know, I'm pretty sure that guy was trying to troll me and/or ruin my day. But still, many people likely do share some of these opinions. And so I just felt like saying something about it.
I'm afraid that purple dragons don't have much luck getting into Smash Bros.

Spazzy_D

Smash Hero
NNID
Spazzy_D
3DS FC
1590-4700-7117
hate to see it, but Konami's digging their own grave so neither does Bomberman. I'll cry myself to sleep now
I honestly don't hold up much hope for Bomberman, or any other Konami rep for that matter. Doesn't mean I won't support multiple of them, though (Snake, Simon, Bomberman, maybe Goemon as well.)

Last edited:

Cutie Gwen

Lovely warrior
I honestly don't hold up much hope for Bomberman, or any other Konami rep for that matter. Doesn't mean I won't support multiple of them, though (Snake, Simon, Bomberman, maybe Goemon as well.)
I like you. You still show support despite the odds being against you. I feel every supporter should do this, be it that Sakurai didn't make them playable, can't/doesn't want to, or because of third party, keep striding forward!

SMAASH! Puppy

Smash Legend
I like you. You still show support despite the odds being against you. I feel every supporter should do this, be it that Sakurai didn't make them playable, can't/doesn't want to, or because of third party, keep striding forward!
Yeah. I hate how people hate on people that support unrealistic characters. (Hooray for strangely worded posts!)
The way I see it is this: If enough fans want it, they will get it.

Last edited:

Spazzy_D

Smash Hero
NNID
Spazzy_D
3DS FC
1590-4700-7117

I mean come on, who doesn't want to see this rivalry go to round two?

I mean my top 3 arent happening but i voted for them. Also. . . You know i own the group for that purpose :p
The way I see it is this: If enough fans want it, they will get it.
unless you are a ridley or geno fan. Then you're just screwed.

In lighter news ike's neutral b is fantastically fun. always

Last edited:

A10theHero

SSJ Fraud
NNID
A10theHero
So Mario 64=Spyro legands, and Mario Party=Skylanders. What ever you saaaaaaay.
Well those are the same Mario in that they're from the same Mario series. They might be from a main series game and a side series game, but it's still that same "Mario world." Classic Spyro, Legend of Spyro Spyro, and Skylanders Spyro are all from different series--the latter two are reboots of the first one. They're not comparable for that reason.

The original 3 spyro games are the only I have enjoyed and the only I will ever care for. . . RIP collectathon spyro
If it makes you feel any better, there's a lot of stuff to collect in Skylanders. There's soul gems, hats, legendary treasures, winged sapphires, Skylanders (shocker), villains (in the new one), and traps (in the new one). The difference is that there's a price barrier in some of these things.

I'm afraid that purple dragons don't have much luck getting into Smash Bros.
There's no harm in trying. :)

Last edited:

Burruni

Smash Hero
Syaoran should be in ssf2. Why? Because then I can have The Song of Storm and Fire on loop! :3

But back to ssb4, I really want Nintendo to show the ballot results so far. (I wanna see how Amaterasu is doing.)
It'd actually be REALLY interesting if Nintendo did a "preview" of how the Ballot is doing, around halfway through the time of its running, at E3.

Syaoran should be in ssf2. Why? Because then I can have The Song of Storm and Fire on loop! :3

But back to ssb4, I really want Nintendo to show the ballot results so far. (I wanna see how Amaterasu is doing.)
I heavily doubt it. If nintendo shows results (and they dont show false numbers) they will have to deal with people complaining that their high vote character didnt get in. At least if the ballot stays unknown they can feign ignorance or just say they didnt get as many votes as people expected.

EX imagine if k rool is shown to be a top contender but he is never added. There would be huge backlash. If they dont show anything they have much less crap to deal with.

SMAASH! Puppy

Smash Legend
I heavily doubt it. If nintendo shows results (and they dont show false numbers) they will have to deal with people complaining that their high vote character didnt get in. At least if the ballot stays unknown they can feign ignorance or just say they didnt get as many votes as people expected.

EX imagine if k rool is shown to be a top contender but he is never added. There would be huge backlash. If they dont show anything they have much less crap to deal with.
Yeah..... They'd probably only show the top 25 most popular characters anyway. (In which case Amaterasu wouldn't be on it, as she probably only has 10 votes including mine.)

Champ Gold

Smash Scrublord
3DS FC
1779-2820-4833
Switch FC
SW-1452-9841-1035
Yeah..... They'd probably only show the top 25 most popular characters anyway. (In which case Amaterasu wouldn't be on it, as she probably only has 10 votes including mine.)

It would be hilarious seeing someone like Waluigi or Ridley at the top of the list and they ignored it.

I doubt they'll show the ballot, keep it anonymous. So that way we can accept the winner being Starman and Jack Frost from MegaTen series

SMAASH! Puppy

Smash Legend
It would be hilarious seeing someone like Waluigi or Ridley at the top of the list and they ignored it.

I doubt they'll show the ballot, keep it anonymous. So that way we can accept the winner being Starman and Jack Frost from MegaTen series
It does say your vote may be made public though. :/ But still, they might try to keep the element of surprise, something they can't do well without starting riots if they show the results.

Last edited:

Curious Villager

Puzzles...
I think they will probably make the votes public of said specific character that gets confirmed. (And perhaps even then, they would probably take a sample of mainly the more well written ones and not containing any inappropriate content etc) But not showing the full results of how every character ranked.

Probably in order to make sure as little backlash comes from it as possible if some of the higher ranked characters didn't make it in for any reason or they wished to include some lower ranking characters because they liked the ideas for them and whatnot.

At least, that's how I think they will do it.... :/

Last edited:

SMAASH! Puppy

Smash Legend
I think they will probably make the votes public of said specific character that gets confirmed. (And perhaps even then, they would probably take a sample of mainly the more more well written ones and not containing any inappropriate content etc) But not showing the full results of how every character ranked.

Probably in order to make sure as little backlash comes from it as possible if some of the higher ranked characters didn't make it in for any reason or they wished to include some lower ranking characters because they liked the ideas of them and whatnot.

At least, that's how I think they will do it.... :/
I this would be great! I could still get my Amaterasu! But seriously though it would be a very wise approach to it.

Swamp Sensei

Today is always the most enjoyable day!
BRoomer
NNID
Swampasaur
3DS FC
4141-2776-0914
Switch FC
SW-6476-1588-8392
I don't trust them to be THAT meta in their writing. Not with how sour that entire game left in fans mouths after that initial trailer was a bait & switch. Correct me if I'm wrong but the Honeycombs present in that trailer in fact have no role in Nuts & Bolts... because you have no HP.
It was satirical writing about the current state of gaming.

There was no venom towards the fans.

That one line IS VERY Rare style humor.

Not too mention, LOG makes similar jabs at the modern industry throughout the game.

At one point he states that the game needs more browns and grays to sell.

The game may not have been as good as its predecessors, but its writing was still spot on.

Burruni

Smash Hero
It was satirical writing about the current state of gaming.

There was no venom towards the fans.

That one line IS VERY Rare style humor.

Not too mention, LOG makes similar jabs at the modern industry throughout the game.

At one point he states that the game needs more browns and grays to sell.

The game may not have been as good as its predecessors, but its writing was still spot on.
I'm gonna be honest, I never got that far into the game because the controls were just too unweildly for me.

So that is a line and overall tone for the game that really sat with me (and a number of others) poorly. It just... feels like the way that they handled transitioning the characters into that style of a game was a poor one to do it without being kind of jarring to fans.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom