• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Character Discussion Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

~Krystal~

True American Heroine
Kind of surprised the Nintendo would let something like that go by since drugs and medicine; OD and healing.
I took the swim suit edition costumes as an indication that they stopped trying to preserve a wholesome image. Then, there's Palutena with pole dancer taunt (seriously)? It pains me to say it, but Solid Snake and his gritty image is Weenie Hut Jr. level at best.

Last edited:

Rebellious Treecko

Smash Hero
z33.png

Not that he had any chance to begin with.
I'm relieved they bothered to change it at all. It's funny as ****, too. Can't find it in myself to hate on it.
Funny in a stupid sort of way. Looks kinda cool, but I wish it was more unique. Like giant pills falling from the sky Tetris-style.

----

Last edited:

lilt

Smash Journeyman
So there were several people who claimed the ESRB Leak roster wouldn't be final.
One of them was Neo Zero, a mod from Smash Boards.
Did he say something to his statement by now? I'm not mad, just curious.

RoseyBetch

Smash Journeyman
So many things make it look like Chorus Men, Ridley, Dixie, and Mewtwo being late arrivals to the game could be a true statement. Chorus Men were apart of Gematsu, which was mostly correct. Chrom was probably one of the first planned characters, but then scrapped for Robin. Ridley was kept a secret this long. There has to be some special reasoning behind it. Dixie and Mewtwo are two very popular characters, so I feel like he would have shown a trophy or something for them by now. But we haven't seen either of them (to my knowledge).

LordJackal

Smash Journeyman
NNID
lordjackal92
So I think there's proof that we have more characters coming. It takes a while to explain, so here's my video on it:

Essentially, that padlock has no reason to exist if this really is the full game.

GamerGuy09

Smash Master
Switch FC
SW-3742-4712-6319
So I think there's proof that we have more characters coming. It takes a while to explain, so here's my video on it:

Essentially, that padlock has no reason to exist if this really is the full game.
I have those same pajama bottoms.

:\

pupNapoleon

Smash Hero
NNID
NapoleonPlays
3DS FC
5129-1683-5306
Switch FC
SW 3124 9647 8311
i dont want him either, sure like any character he could be made unique but hes really nothing more then a pallette swap that was given a larger role in KI. He could remain just a color and still serve the same purpose, which is why i think if he were added they wouldnt have missed the opportunity in palutenas trailer.

Dark versions of characters have never really been something i cared for, in fact i dislike it. Its cliche, its overused, and they are easily the most shallow characters in any game.

The only video game doppelganger character that succeeds IMO is Wario, he is far more then mario's evil shadow. He has his own personality, motivations, quirks, and hes become so much more then the angsty likes of pit or dark link could ever be.
I agree, I am not a fan of characters who only exist as counter entities, who need qualifiers.
TOON and Zero Suit are bad enough (Though I wish they called her just pain zero), but they have identities that literally revolve around another character- they need the other half to be defined, as a moon orbits a planet. I prefer entities that are self-sustaining.

GamerGuy09

Smash Master
Switch FC
SW-3742-4712-6319
Wario has a new Up Smash and Side Smash.

No shoulder bash....or maybe not.

Custom Side B can be Shoulder Bash now?

Xzsmmc

Smash Champion

That really bothers me. I can understand changing his upsmash, but getting rid of his signature attack?

I hope it's not a side B custom, I want both the dash attack and the bike.

pupNapoleon

Smash Hero
NNID
NapoleonPlays
3DS FC
5129-1683-5306
Switch FC
SW 3124 9647 8311

Great video man. And youre adorable! Do a Jesse Eisenberg impression.

GamerGuy09

Smash Master
Switch FC
SW-3742-4712-6319
That really bothers me. I can understand changing his upsmash, but getting rid of his signature attack?

I hope it's not a side B custom, I want both the dash attack and the bike.
It could be a Custom Neutral B.

But his Side Smash got replaced by a back hand punch and his up smash is a head butt like Mario/Luigi/Mr. Game & Watch.

LordJackal

Smash Journeyman
NNID
lordjackal92
Great video man. And youre adorable! Do a Jesse Eisenberg impression.
but im so tired

Thanks, though. I forgot how violent the community could be, the comments are kind of besieged by people who think otherwise :p

It's bizarre how much Wario and other characters who were perfectly fine have changed. Why them and not Falcondorf?

pupNapoleon

Smash Hero
NNID
NapoleonPlays
3DS FC
5129-1683-5306
Switch FC
SW 3124 9647 8311
Sakurai is not a fan of Zelda, is he?
I wish we had more magic based characters in general. And cartoon.

Ah well. I have Duck Hunt and Bowser Jr and the new characters to come!

Ganonthegreat

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Ganonthegreat
3DS FC
3780-9005-2627
So does anybody know if trophies of Mewtwo, Ridley, K. Rool or Isaac have been found yet? They're all very notably absent so far.

Grimnir

Smash Apprentice
I would really, really like to believe Spainkiller's post on Neogaf about the 4 characters (on the other hand, there is no way in **** I'm buying both versions, at least not until a huge discount, not even for Ridley), but I don't buy it. First he says that they've "been right about previous leaks", but the only example he gives is Bowser Jr.'s alts. The "leaker" could have easily taken that info from the Ninka leak as soon as the ESRB leak made it obvious it was correct.

At any rate, Brawl was hacked shortly after release, revealing the "forbidden seven". If they indeed are unlocked through connectivity, then at least some of their data will be in the game already, so here's hoping someone will crack the game soon. Even if all of that is a lie, I'm curious to know what actually did end up on the cutting room floor.

I believe it was an opinion, if I recall. That people took as fact.
No, Neo's post made it very clear he was claiming his info was from a "source".

Last edited:

Ganonthegreat

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Ganonthegreat
3DS FC
3780-9005-2627
At any rate, Brawl was hacked shortly after release, revealing the "forbidden seven". If they indeed are unlocked through connectivity, then at least some of their data will be in the game already, so here's hoping someone will crack the game soon. Even if all of that is a lie, I'm curious to know what actually did end up on the cutting room floor.
Any sign of the name Ridley would probably lead to riots. At this point I'd rather not know and wait to see announcements.

CoolEric258

Smash Cadet
I took the swim suit edition costumes as an indication that they stopped trying to preserve a wholesome image. Then, there's Palutena with pole dancer taunt (seriously)? It pains me to say it, but Solid Snake and his gritty image is Weenie Hut Jr. level at best.
Er...what?

Andinus

Smash Journeyman
NNID
kyonyuudaisuki
Actually the pyrosphere direct tease was and is significant. The greninja trailer.... Not really. And its baffling because of the high requests. Not to mention iconic status. And representation. Before you argue about that, metroid has yet to get a new rep and zero suit doesn't count. Mewtwo is of the most well known besides pikachu and charizard and the former and latter are both in.
I just don't see why it's significant, what it looks like now is people just looking way too deep into nothing. Had there been 3-5 pyrosphere like events I could see why some people might have drawn the conclusion that he is probably in, but just one supposed tease is not enough to support him as likely and his now exclusion "baffling".

And I think people have jumped to conclusions assuming that fan requests would/should have a strong decision swaying impact on character inclusion.

Representation, requests, iconic status, historic significance, percieved sales driving potential, the reality is theses are all things we just assume have a big impact on roster building, either together or separately, whichever more readily supports the inclusion of the character someone wants I suppose. But truthfully do we honestly know enough details of the decsion making process to confidently believe we understand it, sakurai's mind, and his staff? I don't thinks so.

What really happens is people board the hype train and then ride it too far and too long, so that when the end of the line is reached, and we know the final roster, a perceived bewilderment ensues along with frustration because of the hype-made false pretense that these things were all but certain, but in reality had nothing truly solid in their support.

Mario & Sonic Guy

Old rivalries live on!
NNID
TPitch5
3DS FC
5327-1637-5096
Does anyone feel like Sakurai just hates Mewtwo? I mean he did make it a bad fighter in Melee, and then he threw it into the trash, never to be seen again.

Flubber

Smash Rookie
Does anyone feel like Sakurai just hates Mewtwo? I mean he did make it a bad fighter in Melee, and then he threw it into the trash, never to be seen again.
Are you serious? :ohwell: What's up with this strange reasoning?
If he would really hate Mewtwo, he wouldn't have made him a character at all... And as far as I know, Mewtwo wasn't in Brawl due to time constraints, not because Sakurai hates him.

Curious Villager

Puzzles...
To be fair, Sakurai mentioned a couple times how dealing with other companies properties, particularly the Pokemon company/Gamefreak, tend to be quite difficult to deal with at times. Or something along those lines.

They probably wanted him to prioritize other things in terms of Pokemon and all. I don't think he really has anything against Mewtwo and all.

D

Deleted member

Don't blame Sakurai for Mewtwo's exclusion.

Go blame the ones from Pokémon Co.

The_Intruder

Smash Apprentice
I dunno why, all my hype for this smash is gone, and it's funny because my characters are here(falco and sheik)... But I feel some laziness in this one, no original stage for DK or Metroid or Starfox, and mario? Oh well five new stages! But I guess it's not Sakurai's fault, don't forget nintendo has amiibo to market during this holiday 2014, and I guess sakurai can't delay the game like he always did in past. And now we have a software update, this could be a sign that the game was not finished but at any price it must be released this month...
Payable DLC (sorry but I hate that) could be a decision by nintendo that's why the CSS could have this oddly look.
Since the appearance of mario kart 8 dlc, I got bad feeling of the way they will use these in other games.
I see in this game all the new marketing of nintendo, I've thought amiibo was a good idea at first, but I was wrong and seeing smash becomes just a commercial thing is sad.

ps: this is just my opinion

Last edited:
D

Deleted member

I don't even know what to think on DLC after a certain Kong that gets added on a lot of leaked DLC lists just got disconfirmed not too long ago.

Last edited by a moderator:

RoseyBetch

Smash Journeyman
I just don't see why it's significant, what it looks like now is people just looking way too deep into nothing. Had there been 3-5 pyrosphere like events I could see why some people might have drawn the conclusion that he is probably in, but just one supposed tease is not enough to support him as likely and his now exclusion "baffling".

And I think people have jumped to conclusions assuming that fan requests would/should have a strong decision swaying impact on character inclusion.

Representation, requests, iconic status, historic significance, percieved sales driving potential, the reality is theses are all things we just assume have a big impact on roster building, either together or separately, whichever more readily supports the inclusion of the character someone wants I suppose. But truthfully do we honestly know enough details of the decsion making process to confidently believe we understand it, sakurai's mind, and his staff? I don't thinks so.

What really happens is people board the hype train and then ride it too far and too long, so that when the end of the line is reached, and we know the final roster, a perceived bewilderment ensues along with frustration because of the hype-made false pretense that these things were all but certain, but in reality had nothing truly solid in their support.
It's not baffling that Ridley isn't playable. That was always highly probable. The baffling thing is that he got some strange special treatment. We still haven't seen his in game model or seen Sakurai address him directly or by name. The "tease" that he was a boss was strange because everyone knew it was Ridley, but he didn't just come out and say "Ridley is a boss and not playable. Stay tuned for more on this later." Everyone would have been over it by now if he had just done that, but he didn't. He danced around the subject and we still don't know why he did or what purpose it could possibly serve. That's what seems "baffling" in this situation -- that every other NPC that was popular or highly requested had a direct disconfirmation to go with our first glimpse of them (Chrom is a prime example of this). Soon we'll know if the Wii U Connectivity rumor is true, which it probably isn't. If it is, we'll know exactly why Ridley wasn't confirmed as a boss (because he isn't). The more likely route, however, is that he is just a boss and that we get what we see. People will then pester and question Sakurai on his reasoning for doing so, especially with one of the most requested and sought-after characters. I don't see why he would want that or what the purpose would be, but we'll know soon enough.

Last edited:

True Blue Warrior

Smash Hero
NNID
TrueBlueSM
3DS FC
2036-7619-4276
I don't even know what to think on DLC after a certain Kong that gets added on a lot of leaked DLC lists just got disconfirmed not too long ago.
Is a Trophy really something that could qualify as a role that would prevent someone from being DLC? I thought it was only something like being an AT, Boss, Stage Hazard or a part of someone's FS?

Last edited:
D

Deleted member

Is a Trophy really something that could qualify as a role that would prevent someone from being DLC? I thought it was only something like being an AT, Boss, Stage Hazard or a part of someone's FS?
Hmm...maybe not. Then again, I'm not Sakurai & I don't have any power to change the roster.

I did say before that IMO any character that doesn't have a role beyond being a trophy would be DLC...oops. I'm so dumb, I should rest now.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom