• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Character Discussion Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

SuperNintendoKid

Smash Lord
man sorry to be impatiant but, I REALLY WANT THAT GAME & WATCH RENDER! can soem photoshop it out like the jigglypuff one

CoolEric258

Smash Cadet
I believe this is thread is getting closed soon, yes? If so, let me just say...this was fun. This will be a long little monolouge, so brace yourselves!

Smash Bros. is the only series I constantly speculate and get hyped over. It's a series that really is filled with so much dedication and passion t it in terms of respect and dignity to several of the greatest video game franchises to ever exist. And now, unless some big DLC or huge U reveal. It only felt like yesterday to me when I started following the Gematsu leak and felt like joining the Smashboards community. And being around you guys thinking up all of these crazy predictions was nice. Now it's true we didn't get everything we wanted, myself included, but what really made this great was the experience.

The experience of not knowing anything, whether it be game tips and tricks, what character would be represented or not, which veterans would return, discussing our suggestions, whether agreed upon or not. Smash Bros. is like no other game, and for good reason. There's so much potential for anything, whether it be game modes or stages. And not just pre-release, but even post-release. Seeing how the metagame functions and what characters are high on the tier lists, and even mechanics that even the developers didn't realize makes it one of those rare gems of a franchise that is full of creativity and spark. This pre-release I've been a part of since June really made me feel like a little kid. So many people being as giddy as me (well...some) for one of my favorite franchises warms my heart, and is made even better with the head honchos finally giving us the love we've been craving for since 1998. Heck, I've actually become so close to the community, I am looking into getting into the tournament scene, something I never thought I would do. And while we complain about the game on GameFAQs and NeoGaf, please do remember one thing: it isn't the destination that's important, it was the adventure that will still continue to go on.

Bless you to the members and staff of Smashboards, Namco-Bandai, Nintendo of Japan, Europe, Austraila, and America, and most importanly bless you Sakurai-san, for giving me excitement for one little game!

This is CoolEric signing off for now, and remember, there's nothing wrong with having a little fun!

N3ON

Gone Exploring
BRoomer
Repost of laziness:
He's been planning these final moments for over a year. Undoubtedly the hype train is going to slow down once all the characters get revealed. The PotD are going to go over the secret characters, new Exclusive game modes for the Wii U. Honestly pretty boring stuff since we can now do what we all love smash for. (Have metal DK beat the hell out of pikachu with a laser sword).

Sakurai has stated that the Wii U and 3Ds versions are going to share rosters. The final roster has already been shown and confirmed. There's nothing he can announce about the Wii U version has can generate as much excitement as finding all the secret characters the first time. What if I told you that Sakurai knows this, and he's planning for it for over a year now. That he knows exactly what he's doing in every Nintendo direct and character trailer.

He knows the hype a character like Ridley and Mewtwo cause. People start acting like animals when they get mentioned! He knows this. He teased the hell out of Ridley in the Smash 4 Direct on purpose! He didn't confirm or deny his boss character status because of the uproar and hype the character creates! He knows DAMN well that half the community thought Greninja was Mewtwo in the pokemon reveal trailer. He does this kind of **** on purpose. And I don't think he's going to stop any time soon.

We all know that, according to the current layout and avatar size, the final roster for the 3Ds version has room for four more fighters. Anyone can see that.

What I think is going to happen is... Two weeks before Wii U versions release. Sakurai makes an announcement. 4 Free DLC characters for the 3Ds version of smash which will be already included in the Wii U version.

BAM instant hype and now people are peeing their pants about the new fighters. So enjoy what we have now and don't get your panties in a twist thinking Dark Pit made it in and not Mewtwo.

TLDR; A better version of this game is going to come out on the Wii U. If people don't think Sakurai is about to throw them another curve ball when it comes out they are incredibly naïve.
This is more or less my theory.

I can't imagine two months (I'm assuming a Nov. release of the Wii U version) of letting the hype die down while most people flock to get the game on the system that needs less help, many of whom are less dedicated than us and won't see the use in getting the Wii U one as well (especially if they don't already own the Wii U).

It makes quite a lot of sense to keep some characters tied to the Wii U version but transferable to the 3DS (just like it might turn out that some of these characters are exclusive to the 3DS unless they get transferred) - not to mention even with the game leaking we still don't know much of the interconnectivity between the two.

And what better way to kickstart renewed interest in a game people think they already know the extent of (character-wise) than by more highly popular reveals no one thinks are coming? Nintendo letting the Wii U version flounder for a couple months riding off the coattails of the 3DS version's hype seems unlikely, this is their big game of the winter, they want people ideally to buy both, and characters sell and hype the game like nothing else. And people don't want what they already have nearly as much as they would if a new character was also dangled in front of them. Nintendo knows this. Sakurai knows this.

I still think we're going to get more characters (apart from possible down the road DLC).

Andinus

Smash Journeyman
NNID
kyonyuudaisuki
We did get some small info ahead of the rest of the forum last month, but we can't say what it was/who was related (though it shouldn't be much of a secret). It's all out in the open now, has been for quite a while, so we are hiding nothing at this point.

Several users claimed that the CSS wasn't complete, not the "mods." 98% of the staff had nothing to do with it.
I see. Thanks for some clarification.

deebeethedeity

Smash Journeyman
3DS FC
1306-6746-5618
Honestly I don't get how sakurai thought cutting ice climbers was acceptable. And the absence of ridley and mewtwo is baffling :confused::crazy: otherwise the game is great

Andinus

Smash Journeyman
NNID
kyonyuudaisuki
Honestly I don't get how sakurai thought cutting ice climbers was acceptable. And the absence of ridley and mewtwo is baffling :confused::crazy: otherwise the game is great
What is baffling about it? Other than them being highly requested, there was never really any significant evidence to support a conclusion of their inclusion in the game.

Andinus

Smash Journeyman
NNID
kyonyuudaisuki
Pyrosphere shadow. Greninja trailer.
I don't think either of those quantify as significant. Just speculation and hype, and certainly nothing to ensure their spot to the point that their exclusion is now "baffling".

Last edited:

deebeethedeity

Smash Journeyman
3DS FC
1306-6746-5618
Actually the pyrosphere direct tease was and is significant. The greninja trailer.... Not really. And its baffling because of the high requests. Not to mention iconic status. And representation. Before you argue about that, metroid has yet to get a new rep and zero suit doesn't count. Mewtwo is of the most well known besides pikachu and charizard and the former and latter are both in.

Last edited:

pupNapoleon

Smash Hero
NNID
NapoleonPlays
3DS FC
5129-1683-5306
Switch FC
SW 3124 9647 8311
Did I say desired or wanted?

No.

I said discussed.

There are more replies, thus more discussion. That's a fact.
Fair point. But that does not make them the most eligible for DLC.
They are the most discussed, on this forum. Even that is a strange saying, because it just means int heir own forums they get the most posts- it does not factor in general discussion, or the fact that many of those posts are either irrelevant (ridley) or just quick rack up of points from direct conversations between two members.
I think 8 people each posting twice is more of a discussion than two people each posting at each other fifty times. It also has nothing to do with 'discussed for DLC.'

Shorts

Zef Side
Premium
3DS FC
3136-6583-3704
Overlooking all my poll results I've compiled, I would say these were the most anticipated characters for smash 4:

Megaman
Mewtwo
Ridley
King K Rool
Little Mac
Palutena

Chrom
Dixie Kong
Junior
Isaac
Krystal
Roy
Shulk
Waluigi
Toad
Pac-Man

The highlighted were characters who were playable. How do you feel about the amount of popular characters we recieved vs. how many were overlooked? how do you feel about the final roster.

*Note this list is compiled from various polls between 2010 and, well, right up until a few months ago. This is the cream of the crop in terms of popularity.

?????????????

Smash Master
Overlooking all my poll results I've compiled, I would say these were the most anticipated characters for smash 4:

Megaman
Mewtwo
Ridley
King K Rool
Little Mac
Palutena

Chrom
Dixie Kong
Junior
Isaac
Krystal
Roy
Shulk
Waluigi
Toad
Pac-Man

The highlighted were characters who were playable. How do you feel about the amount of popular characters we recieved vs. how many were overlooked? how do you feel about the final roster.

*Note this list is compiled from various polls between 2010 and, well, right up until a few months ago. This is the cream of the crop in terms of popularity.
I was too distracted by your awesome profile pic and tagline.

Last edited:

GunGunW

Smash Lord
NNID
GunGunW
I believe this is thread is getting closed soon, yes? If so, let me just say...this was fun. This will be a long little monolouge, so brace yourselves!

Smash Bros. is the only series I constantly speculate and get hyped over. It's a series that really is filled with so much dedication and passion t it in terms of respect and dignity to several of the greatest video game franchises to ever exist. And now, unless some big DLC or huge U reveal. It only felt like yesterday to me when I started following the Gematsu leak and felt like joining the Smashboards community. And being around you guys thinking up all of these crazy predictions was nice. Now it's true we didn't get everything we wanted, myself included, but what really made this great was the experience.

The experience of not knowing anything, whether it be game tips and tricks, what character would be represented or not, which veterans would return, discussing our suggestions, whether agreed upon or not. Smash Bros. is like no other game, and for good reason. There's so much potential for anything, whether it be game modes or stages. And not just pre-release, but even post-release. Seeing how the metagame functions and what characters are high on the tier lists, and even mechanics that even the developers didn't realize makes it one of those rare gems of a franchise that is full of creativity and spark. This pre-release I've been a part of since June really made me feel like a little kid. So many people being as giddy as me (well...some) for one of my favorite franchises warms my heart, and is made even better with the head honchos finally giving us the love we've been craving for since 1998. Heck, I've actually become so close to the community, I am looking into getting into the tournament scene, something I never thought I would do. And while we complain about the game on GameFAQs and NeoGaf, please do remember one thing: it isn't the destination that's important, it was the adventure that will still continue to go on.

Bless you to the members and staff of Smashboards, Namco-Bandai, Nintendo of Japan, Europe, Austraila, and America, and most importanly bless you Sakurai-san, for giving me excitement for one little game!

This is CoolEric signing off for now, and remember, there's nothing wrong with having a little fun!
Why'd you have to go and say something like that?... Now I'm gonna miss this thread and speculation even more :(

Xzsmmc

Smash Champion
Why'd you have to go and say something like that?... Now I'm gonna miss this thread and speculation even more :(
Given how after the leak the speculation train kinda went like this:

I'm not going to miss it. I spent most of the speculation period far more nervous than I should have been.

GunGunW

Smash Lord
NNID
GunGunW

I'm not going to miss it. I spent most of the speculation period far more nervous than I should have been.
I enjoyed Smash speculation. The only other times I've ever been this hyped for a game release was Brawl (and to a lesser extent, Resident Evil 6). For the past few months, it's really been the only thing that's been on my mind. To be honest, the wait for Brawl was more fun than the actual game, and while I'm pretty sure the new Smash will be the same way I still think it's gonna be an awesome game.

Xzsmmc

Smash Champion
I enjoyed Smash speculation. The only other times I've ever been this hyped for a game release was Brawl (and to a lesser extent, Resident Evil 6). For the past few months, it's really been the only thing that's been on my mind. To be honest, the wait for Brawl was more fun than the actual game, and while I'm pretty sure the new Smash will be the same way I still think it's gonna be an awesome game.
My speculation wasn't particularly enjoyable, and I think that may have been because I cared too much. Up until E3 2013, it was hoping beyond hope that Mega Man would get in. Afterwards, it was hoping beyond all hope that K. Rool and Mewtwo got in. Just needless taxing of my nerves.

D

Deleted member

Megaman
Mewtwo
Ridley
King K Rool
Little Mac
Palutena

Chrom
Dixie Kong
Junior
Isaac
Krystal
Roy
Shulk
Waluigi
Toad
Pac-Man

Do we have any indication that a character was added because of popularity/fan demand outside of Mega Man for this game?

Last edited by a moderator:

GunGunW

Smash Lord
NNID
GunGunW
My speculation wasn't particularly enjoyable, and I think that may have been because I cared too much. Up until E3 2013, it was hoping beyond hope that Mega Man would get in. Afterwards, it was hoping beyond all hope that K. Rool and Mewtwo got in. Just needless taxing of my nerves.
I did feel that way about Captain Falcon for a little while (I know, that was dumb) then after he was revealed I started focusing my worry on Falco (also dumb in hindsight).

Rockaphin

Smash Champion
NNID
Rockaphin
3DS FC
2595-0113-8473
I saw some gameplay of the Koopalings and I have to say that I'm extremely excited to play as the Koopalings. I'm utterly disgusted by Dr. Mario's Final Smash however.

Thomas was my show. He should totally be an Assist Trophy.

Ffamran

The Smooth Devil Mod
I saw some gameplay of the Koopalings and I have to say that I'm extremely excited to play as the Koopalings. I'm utterly disgusted by Dr. Mario's Final Smash however.

Aww come on, man! The Doc, like, OD's people and gives them a drug-induced death, man! It's like radical and gnarly! Wait, ye ain't be one of them Feds, are ye, ya lily-livered landlubber?

Xzsmmc

Smash Champion

Thomas was my jam. When I was a kid, I owned all the original books, and just watched it for hours at a time.

Koopalings make me very happy. I'm one of the few people who liked Bowser Jr. and the Koopalings, so the prospect of being able to play as all of them is just wonderful. Only real problem is that the Final Smash doesn't make much sense with the Koopalings, but that's negligible.

~Krystal~

True American Heroine
Aww come on, man! The Doc, like, OD's people and gives them a drug-induced death, man! It's like radical and gnarly! Wait, ye ain't be one of them Feds, are ye, ya lily-livered landlubber?
I'm relieved they bothered to change it at all. It's funny as ****, too. Can't find it in myself to hate on it.

LordJackal

Smash Journeyman
NNID
lordjackal92
So I think I've actually found really compelling evidence that there are more characters coming. I'm uploading a video now.

Shorts

Zef Side
Premium
3DS FC
3136-6583-3704
Do we have any indication that a character was added because of popularity/fan demand outside of Mega Man for this game?
I think he said something about Chrom being a favorite, which hints that he knows people like him. I don't know if he's looking at the Smash community specifically, or the FE community. But he at least acknowledges popularity. I think he's said something about popularity when picking pokemon as well. So I suppose.

Ffamran

The Smooth Devil Mod
I'm relieved they bothered to change it at all. It's funny as ****, too. Can't find it in myself to hate on it.
Kind of surprised the Nintendo would let something like that go by since drugs and medicine; OD and healing.

mini paincakes

Smash Journeyman
Dedede? Wario? Sonic? SOLID ****ING SNAKE? Dude, Brawl's newcomers were all awesome.
Now wtf do we have? PacMan, Wii Fit Trainer, Miis, Dark Pit? So boring. At least Megaman and Little Mac are pretty cool
I agree that Brawl had better newcomers. I just meant that this roster is a bit better than Brawl's since it has most of the vets plus some new characters that I really wanted. The cuts from brawl and lack of Mewtwo do sting though.

pupNapoleon

Smash Hero
NNID
NapoleonPlays
3DS FC
5129-1683-5306
Switch FC
SW 3124 9647 8311
I created a group this morning
http://smashboards.com/social-forums/dream-potential-group-of-hope-light.1737/t
It is essentially a Group for positivity and dreams, within the game, since that is what the game is for, ultimately.
I just thought a good section would be for 'timed release big three.'
I'm planning on taking my Hype 3 Thread there if the mods will allow it/ move it.

Feel free to go there for a breath of fresh air, regarding the current state or future of the game, or ideas you think are just swell.

mini paincakes

Smash Journeyman

Megaman
Mewtwo
Ridley
King K Rool
Little Mac
Palutena

Chrom
Dixie Kong
Junior
Isaac
Krystal
Roy
Shulk
Waluigi
Toad
Pac-Man

There's no doubt that Sakurai should have added more of the popular characters. The unpopular newcomers were good choices and were mostly well received (especially Villager and Greninja), but adding a few more of the fan-requested characters would have made this roster miles better.

This roster would be completely AMAZING if Sakurai added the hype 3 and kept the brawl characters. Also, Isaac would be amazing. Too bad we don't live in a perfect world.

Speaking of Isaac, I don't believe Isaac was found as an assist trophy. This gives me hope for Sakurai having plans to expand the roster in the future. Or Isaac is just a Wii U exclusive assist trophy...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom