• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Character Discussion Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

Spinosaurus

Treasure Hunter
NNID
WarioLand
That person was saying 'why do people only hate clones in smash' even though almost every fighting game ever has had clones.
Yes and in these fighting games clones are liked which is what I said...?

Xzsmmc

Smash Champion
My problem with the clones is that they're so boring. Dr. Mario is literally just Mario in a doctor suit. Dark Pit may be a separate character, but he looks exactly like Pit. Only Lucina is at least a bit more unique. Why not something like Dixie as a Diddy clone, or Raichu as a Pikachu one? They'd at least look more distinct.

JaidynReiman

Smash Hero
NNID
JaidynReiman
My problem with the clones is that they're so boring. Dr. Mario is literally just Mario in a doctor suit. Dark Pit may be a separate character, but he looks exactly like Pit. Only Lucina is at least a bit more unique. Why not something like Dixie as a Diddy clone, or Raichu as a Pikachu one? They'd at least look more distinct.
Because Dixie is too different from Diddy to make a very effective clone. She COULD be a clone, but it wouldn't be the most ideal situation at all. At best, a semiclone with vague similarities to Diddy.

ihskeyp

Smash Ace
Yes and in these fighting games clones are liked which is what I said...?
Yes I was just rephrasing for someone who didn't understand.
Idk, people who play smash typically aren't fighting game players because smash is so distinctly different from most fighting games. They don't realize that the clones really didn't take anyone's spot.

Spinosaurus

Treasure Hunter
NNID
WarioLand
Dr. Mario looks way more distinct than the rest. He actually has some unique moves.
Yes I was just rephrasing for someone who didn't understand.
Idk, people who play smash typically aren't fighting game players because smash is so distinctly different from most fighting games. They don't realize that the clones really didn't take anyone's spot.
Oh my bad, I misunderstood your post. Fair enough!

Last edited:

?????????????

Smash Master
Could be wrong, but I really don't think anyone pays much mind to Street Fighter's many variations of Ryu. It's just...accepted.

In any case, I think the clone thing here is mostly irrelevant anyway. My understanding, which could be wrong, is that the new clones were created only in excess time using pre-existing models of character costumes, and that the time it took to create the three clones is still significantly less time than to make one unique character (since they would have to be built from the ground up).

Therefore, if we didn't have Lucina, Dr. Mario, and Dark Pit, all we would have is a smaller roster. They're just "bonus characters" anyway.

That's the way I see it, anyways.

Kalimdori

Amateur Youtuber
NNID
Kalimdori
3DS FC
5129-1442-5970
I think there will be character DLC. Not because of Ridley, not because of Mewtwo, but because of one simple thing.

Where in gods name is Isaac?

We've seen all AT's in the 3DS version and he's no where to be seen. A Wii U exclusive Assist Trophy? That doesn't make any sense, Golden Sun is a handheld game.

Could he be cut? That doesn't make any sense either, he's one of the most, if not most popular character that is in Assist Trophy form.

So.... what gives?

Xzsmmc

Smash Champion
Dr. Mario looks way more distinct than the rest. He actually has some unique moves.
True. He still has the spin and the electric side smash.

Because Dixie is too different from Diddy to make a very effective clone. She COULD be a clone, but it wouldn't be the most ideal situation at all. At best, a semiclone with vague similarities to Diddy.
I was just throwing her out as an example.

Oniric Spriter

Smash Ace
Welcome to the pre-Brawl day's. (And the pre-Melee day's..... Probably pre-Smash 64 day's too.....)
That's how it usually goes, just give them time to cool off, it'l be fine and we'll be playing the games then and discussing other things such as the meta game and all. ^^
Hopefully they'll chill soon. Speaking of the metagame I'm really hyped with combos in this game and how the characters will turn out, so far Villager is very very very good therefore ZeRo calls him Jiggly projectiles and that just makes me wanna try him even more.

Last edited:

Curious Villager

Puzzles...
Hopefully they'll chill soon. Speaking of the metagame I'm really hyped with combos in this game and how the characters will turn out, so far Villager is very very very good therefore ZeRo calls him Jiggly projectiles and that just makes me wanna try him even more.
I'm happy to hear that Villager is doing well so far as I'm hoping to main him this time around whilst having Ness and Toon Link as my right hand guys this time. :)

JaidynReiman

Smash Hero
NNID
JaidynReiman
I think there will be character DLC. Not because of Ridley, not because of Mewtwo, but because of one simple thing.

Where in gods name is Isaac?

We've seen all AT's in the 3DS version and he's no where to be seen. A Wii U exclusive Assist Trophy? That doesn't make any sense, Golden Sun is a handheld game.

Could he be cut? That doesn't make any sense either, he's one of the most, if not most popular character that is in Assist Trophy form.

So.... what gives?
This is my thoughts on the matter. I can't stand the idea of getting my hopes up anymore, but the ONLY logical explanation is that Isaac's AT was cut so that he could be left open for potential DLC in the future. Or Nintendo sold Golden Sun, which is extremely doubtful considering the fact that they just re-released Golden Sun and The Lost Age is out in Japan, presumably coming outside of Japan soon.

BluePikmin11

Akko is my dear daughter!
NNID
blue
I think now that Sakurai took the priority to make as much unique characters as possible, it seems that he could only do up to 40-45 of them. When time was nearly struck, they could only have the time to do stat-changing clones.
I think there are tons of low priority but unique characters we haven't seen yet. Characters like Mewtwo and Ridley were probably low priority (Asssuming the Neogaf rumor is true) so that Nintendo could sell the Wii U Version like hotcakes.
That's my new theory.

JaidynReiman

Smash Hero
NNID
JaidynReiman
I think now that Sakurai took the priority to make as much unique characters as possible, it seems that he could only do up to 40-45 of them. When time was nearly struck, they could only have the time to do stat-changing clones.
I think there are tons of low priority but unique characters we haven't seen yet. Characters like Mewtwo and Ridley were probably low priority (Asssuming the Neogaf rumor is true) so that Nintendo could sell the Wii U Version like hotcakes.
That's my new theory.
Possibly. I'll say its possible, I certainly don't think we should discard the option, but we shouldn't take it for granted either.

shinhed-echi

Smash Hero
NNID
punchtropics
3DS FC
5301-0890-0238
So why is Smash Bros the only fighting game series where clones are bad?

Funny how the most requested fighters for Tekken Tag Tournament 2 back then were clones lol
You know, I was just remembering the internet's reaction to Decapre made playable in USFIV.
That was pretty much SF's equivalent of Dark Pit. :p

Oniric Spriter

Smash Ace
I'm happy to hear that Villager is doing well so far as I'm hoping to main him this time around whilst having Ness and Toon Link as my right hand guys this time. :)
As for Toon Link, does he go straight down when he Dairs in Smash 4?(I heard something like that somewhere) Because unless there's a guaranteed spike it seems incredibly risky to use.

RoseyBetch

Smash Journeyman
Ridley is probably in the most danger though. Of course, the Ultimate Chimera and Fish never got trophies in Brawl.
I realize it's unlikely, but the last bit of hope I have is still dangling from a string holding on for dear life. The thing about that, however, is that Ridley (to my knowledge) is more important to Metroid than the Great Chimera is to Mother.

Spinosaurus

Treasure Hunter
NNID
WarioLand
You know, I was just remembering the internet's reaction to Decapre made playable in USFIV.
That was pretty much SF's equivalent of Dark Pit. :p
Decapre was a straight up troll. They built up hype for a character for close to 8 months that ended up being evil version of an existing character.

She isn't a clone though. More like the equivalent of Zero Suit Samus. A lot of people actually like her now that they tried her out.

JaidynReiman

Smash Hero
NNID
JaidynReiman
I realize it's unlikely, but the last bit of hope I have is still dangling from a string holding on for dear life. The thing about that, however, is that Ridley (to my knowledge) is more important to Metroid than the Great Chimera is to Mother.
Maybe you should just cut that little strand of hope loose and ignore "hope" in this kind of circumstance. You can leave open the possibility if you wish, we certainly shouldn't discount it all-together. But don't hope.

Curious Villager

Puzzles...
As for Toon Link, does he go straight down when he Dairs in Smash 4?(I heard something like that somewhere) Because unless there's a guaranteed spike it seems incredibly risky to use.
His D-air now goes straight through his opponents. (I guess it's kinda like Bowser and Yoshi's ground pound Down Special now..... sort of..... except it's his D-air) This will probably be taking some getting used to for me since I kinda have this habit to use his D-air to meteor smash my opponents.... ^^;

Andinus

Smash Journeyman
NNID
kyonyuudaisuki
Well, I'm gonna say that I guess I sort of called it. My original speculation of just 44 or less characters was not right, but I think what happened was that we really only had 45 characters to start out anyway, and then Lucina, Dr. Mario, and Dark Pit got upgraded to clones from just alt costumes, since some extra time was maybe found in the end to help flesh things out a bit. This then is pretty consistent with what Sakurai said all along about large rosters and balancing issues.

I do really hope for some DLC though... it could happen especially if we got like a Lucas/Wolf pack in a few months, and then maybe a Mewtwo/Ice Climbers pack later on. I highly doubt we would get anybody brand new though. But at least with those 4 added i would have total satisfaction with the roster.

Last edited:

shinhed-echi

Smash Hero
NNID
punchtropics
3DS FC
5301-0890-0238
Say Wolf AND Lucas absolutely HAD to go.

I would have paved the way for 3 other clones of my own.

1.- King Hippo (Basically, where Little Mac is STRONG and FAST, King Hippo would be STRONG and HEAVY)
2.- Dark Samus (A no brainer. Some abilities would be changed in order for Dark Samus to be a more credible inclusion, such as changing the charged shot for either smaller but faster shots, or a phazon bolt.)
3.- Samurai Goroh (Basically, 64 C.Falcon with a katana for added range. And more cooldown on the moves involving it.)

RoseyBetch

Smash Journeyman
Maybe you should just cut that little strand of hope loose and ignore "hope" in this kind of circumstance. You can leave open the possibility if you wish, we certainly shouldn't discount it all-together. But don't hope.
My expectations are that we get what we see, which is fine. I have Rosalina, Robin, Sheik and Alph. I just think the representation seems so off balance that Sakurai might give us Ridley, Mewtwo, and another DK character. I think this would benefit the roster with more recognizable and popular characters and make more people surprised and happy with the results. I wish this was the case and I hope that this is the case, but I'm not expecting it to be the case by any means. I expect the Wii U to get a few bonus modes and more challenges and that's that.

BluePikmin11

Akko is my dear daughter!
NNID
blue
And considering Mewtwo Ridley and Dixie are highly requested in the West (aside from Chorus Men, which are popular in Japan, it's probably because of technical difficulties), the marketing theory I remember someone making makes my theory more plausible.

Chihiro Fujisaki

Smash Journeyman
NNID
KnightOfSpace
imo dr. mario is a really weird choice
lucina on the other hand really deserves her spot
anyways guys just wait for project smash 4 + (ft.hype 3)

Last edited:

SuperNintendoKid

Smash Lord
question can anyone photoshop out the backrounds to our unconfirmed characters, i want to use them for my sig (i cant because MS Paint is a b****)

Pakky

Smash Hero
And considering Mewtwo Ridley and Dixie are highly requested in the West (aside from Chorus Men, which are popular in Japan, it's probably because of technical difficulties), the marketing theory I remember someone making makes my theory more plausible.
I hope this is a marketing thing because man.

MechaWave

Smash Champion
Could be wrong, but I really don't think anyone pays much mind to Street Fighter's many variations of Ryu. It's just...accepted.

In any case, I think the clone thing here is mostly irrelevant anyway. My understanding, which could be wrong, is that the new clones were created only in excess time using pre-existing models of character costumes, and that the time it took to create the three clones is still significantly less time than to make one unique character (since they would have to be built from the ground up).

Therefore, if we didn't have Lucina, Dr. Mario, and Dark Pit, all we would have is a smaller roster. They're just "bonus characters" anyway.

That's the way I see it, anyways.
Yes, you're correct. Most people think they take up a "slot." I'm sure Alph would've gotten the same treatment but it was just unnecessary

It's funny that Dr. Mario has the most distinct clone moveset but is technically the exact same character as Mario, just wearing different clothes. Quite a predicament.

EricTheGamerman

Smash Master
What's this Neogaf rumor I keep hearing crop up in places, anybody got a link, or want to explain what was said in said rumor?

MischF

Smash Apprentice
NNID
TrueMischF
I'm not buying the Ridley/Dixie/CB/Mewtwo thing. The Karate Joe trophy has the generic Smash Bros. symbol.
That could easily be changed with a patch but I don't believe it personally either although I still think linking more newcomers is still a possibility. It just seems like a likely marketing tactic. Plus the way the roster looks is still funny to me (not characters but layout).

CJ Falcon

Smash Lord
I hope we get new character pages full of new official screenshots for all the remaining characters on the official website tomorrow. There's no reason why we shouldn't.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom