• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Character Discussion Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

EricTheGamerman

Smash Master
im pretty sure theyre still developing some characters for dlc imo... the roster layout in the 3ds version looks too weird
As much as I wish they were, I'm not putting my faith into Sakurai again for any character that I want, or hoping for stuff to make sense. I fought until the end with the hype three, and indeed it was a bitter end. My hopes already been crushed, so I'm not going to count on DLC to suddenly save the day... Especially since Ridley is indeed just a Pyrosphere stage boss, oh joy.

Xzsmmc

Smash Champion
The good:
:4megaman::4littlemac::4villager:

The meh:
(Insert pretty much everyone else here)

All I can say is for the 'number one character game in the world' this is pretty lackluster. I simply don't understand getting rid of Lucas, Wolf, Squirtle and Ivysaur.

Last edited:

Mr.X98

Smash Journeyman
As much as I wish they were, I'm not putting my faith into Sakurai again for any character that I want, or hoping for stuff to make sense. I fought until the end with the hype three, and indeed it was a bitter end. My hopes already been crushed, so I'm not going to count on DLC to suddenly save the day... Especially since Ridley is indeed just a Pyrosphere stage boss, oh joy.
I Find it extremely messed up if Sakurai teases Ridley through the most unimaginable ways, only to have him as a stage boss in Pyrosphere. (and all those comments and PoTD posts about size not being an issue were just about Olimar and other not to scale characters)

Crescendo

Smash Journeyman
I Find it extremely messed up if Sakurai teases Ridley through the most unimaginable ways, only to have him as a stage boss in Pyrosphere. (and all those comments and PoTD posts about size not being an issue were just about Olimar and other not to scale characters)
Well, the fact is, we have the full roster right here and Ridley isn't a part of it.
So... yes, he did tease him as a boss and people (including me) read too much into it. That's it.

Loungemen

Smash Journeyman
SSB64:
"What's Jigglypuff doing in here? No seriously, WHY JIGGLYPUFF OVER ANY OTHER POKEMON??"

SSBM:
"Who's Mr. Game & Watch? WHY WOULD YOU CHOOSE A STUPID FLAT CHARACTER??"

SSBB:
"ROB? WHY A PIECE OF ****ING USELESS NES HARDWARE??"

SSB4:
"Why is Dark Pit in? WHY IS SAKURAI'S FAVORITISM DESTROYING MY MOST WANTED NEWCOMERS??"

…and the cycle continues. I'll see you around during SSB5's full roster.

Last edited:

SANCHOCO

Smash Apprentice
I'm not sure if you guys care for tiers(I don't), but to the people who have seen the stream, which tier would you put each character(the one's you've seen anyways)?

Spinosaurus

Treasure Hunter
NNID
WarioLand
SSB64:
"What's Jigglypuff doing in here? No seriously, WHY JIGGLYPUFF OVER ANY OTHER POKEMON??"

SSBM:
"Who's Mr. Game & Watch? WHY WOULD YOU CHOOSE A STUPID FLAT CHARACTER??"

SSBB:
"ROB? WHY A PIECE OF ****ING USELESS NES HARDWARE??"

SSB4:
"Why is Dark Pit in? WHY IS SAKURAI'S FAVORITISM DESTROYING MY MOST WANTED NEWCOMERS??"

…and the cycle continues. I'll see you around during SSB5's full roster.
Roster complaints happen every fighting game. Look at UMvC3 which was completely criticized at first but is now considered to have one of the best fighting game rosters.

Give it a month and the hyperbole will fade away.

Last edited:
D

Deleted member

I'm not sure if you guys care for tiers(I don't), but to the people who have seen the stream, which tier would you put each character(the one's you've seen anyways)?
I wouldn't be too hasty to start putting up tiers: Nintendo might do balancing in later patches

Mr.X98

Smash Journeyman
So many peoples hopes and dreams were crushed in this forum it isn't even funny. lol XD
I'm getting mixed signals here...

HANDS DOWN, VILLAGER IS THE NEW META KNIGHT!
*Puts Hand Down*

Roster complaints happen every fighting game. Look at UMvC3 which was completely criticized at first but is now considered to have one of the best fighting game rosters.

Give it a month and the hyperbole will fade away.
It happens, this will settle down eventually and we will all just get the game anyways. :p

Crescendo

Smash Journeyman
I wouldn't be too hasty to start putting up tiers: Nintendo might do balancing in later patches
I wouldn't be too hasty even putting tiers even if there isn't any balance patch, as people are just getting the game now. At least leave people enough time to get the hang of everybody so we can get in-depth commentary about them.

EricTheGamerman

Smash Master
How bad is it I wish I'd never came here? Like I was absolutely content with Smash having like ****ing Mega Man and Little Mac until I came here and saw potential, only for that potential to never be realized. Like I know I'm obviously on and on about disappointment right now, but I've got to get it out somewhere. I was so happy with the roster and characters, and in the past two months, boom that was gone and I realized how much I actually didn't care for parts of the roster and specifically wanted any number of characters in the game. Oh well at least I had some fun with you all along the way and you all are pretty great people. (And I'm incredibly glad I wasn't around for what I know had to be the detonation of the Ridley thread, I imagine that was very ugly). So thanks for being good mates to talk to, I at least got that much out of all of this.

Xzsmmc

Smash Champion
Checking out a few of the support threads is like walking through a graveyard. I'm glad Mega Man is in. Otherwise, this game would have pretty much no selling point for me.

His inclusion honestly seems like a miracle at this point. I remember after his reveal, people were saying it was obvious in hindsight, due to his massive popularity and moveset potential. Well those two factors certainly didn't help Ridley, K. Rool, Mewtwo or Isaac.

Last edited:

Buzz Spendus

Smash Apprentice
I really like the roster. There's a lot to like in characters new and old.

That being said, I still think that there will be characters that will be held for the Wii U version to maintain hype. Then, they will be added to the 3DS version after the Wii U release.

Spinosaurus

Treasure Hunter
NNID
WarioLand
Personally I'm more interested in the veterans and their changes anyway. They clearly were built from scratch, and a lot of them look like new characters. (Game&Watch and Wario in particular)

Granted, Snake got cut, so that's one veteran (my second favorite) that I won't have the pleasure of using. But oh well.

MunchyMunch

Smash Journeyman
NNID
MushroomMuncher
I still wanna know out of all the Melee cuts and the Forbidden Seven, why did Sakurai choose Dr. Mario to return?

?????????????

Smash Master
There really might be more stock into this "held characters" thing than I initially thought. Maybe.

A couple sources are claiming that they've seen more characters, though, without any proof, that could easily be trolling.

The Chorus Kids thing still bugs me though. Even if some of the information was faulty, a lot of Gematsu was right. Even "Chrom" could be justified as a misinterpretation of "main Fire Emblem Awakening character," but why Chorus Kids? It stands out.

I guess, more than anything, I can't rule out the possibility. For one, DLC is a thing. For two...I could see Sakurai doing something like this. Not DLC, per se, but holding back characters to release later. Not just for the sake of hype or money, but for the sake of surprise.

What if Sakurai knew people would leak the 3DS stuff, like how Brawl's cutscenes were all uploaded before the game's release, and as a result, he intentionally kept stuff hidden so that people would believe they knew it all?

I'm not trying to grasp at straws, cause I'm all ready to accept the roster as-is. But I guess I wouldn't be surprised if this kind of thing did actually happen, as some are claiming to be the case.

NeonBurrito

Smash Ace

Mewtwo was the only character I absolutely wanted in, so boo-hoo for me.

But now the leak is 100% accurate...

Seriously?

I know I'll sound really whiny, but I've compiled the new additions/cuts for each roster:

Mario: 4 (8 if counting spinoffs) -> 7 (11 if counting spinoffs)
Kid Icarus: 1 -> 3
Fire Emblem: 2 -> 4
Pokémon: 6 -> 5
Star Fox: 3 -> 2
Mother: 2 -> 1
Ice Climber: 1 -> 0
Metal Gear: 1 -> 0

Some of the choices made for the roster are just mind boggling.
  • 11/49 characters are Mario characters.
  • Kid Icarus has more representation than Donkey Kong, Metroid, and Star Fox.
  • Dark Pit is literally a skin swap that became playable. I can't wait for Kirby: Uprising to introduce Dark Kirby so we can get that in Sma5h.
  • No Donkey Kong newcomer (especially with Donkey Kong's new popularity)
  • No Metroid newcomer.
  • Cutting Wolf (Wolf is an actually established character in the Star Fox series, where we probably won't see Lucina or Dark Pit ever again. Also, Wolf is more unique than Dark Pit, Lucina, and Dr. Mario)
  • No Mewtwo (easily the most requested character of all time)
I'm sorry if I seem ungrateful, I'm just not a fan of this roster. At all. I'm still going to buy this game and love it, because Duck Hunt Dog is pretty cool. If you aren't going to buy the game because a character you want in didn't make it, that seems kind of stupid.

Anyway, it's been great fun speculating with you all, I hope to see you all on the flipside.

Last edited:

Oniric Spriter

Smash Ace
Omg you stupid Sakurai with your bull**** bias, Dark Pit took Ridley and K. Rool's spot, lel u serious bro do u wanna pick on a fight, Samurai? I'll spam yo twitter with my annoying mates, brah

>That's how stupid people sound from others' point of view

PurpleSpaceDragon

Smash Journeyman
I'm almost certain a new batch of Newcomers will be released alongside the Wii U version.

These Newcomers will likely be on the Wii U disc already, and downloadable as free DLC for the 3DS version either immediately, or relatively soon after the Wii U version releases.

Nintendo won't risk losing just about all the pre-release speculation and hype so far in advance of the Wii U's most important game of the year (if not ever). They need Smash 4 Wii U to sell very well. There's absolutely no way they won't give us exciting and irresistable extra content in the Wii U version (and, no, most of the hoards of Smash fans who don't frequent video game forums would not consider extra stages and trophies to be exciting enough to encourage a buy if they already have the 3DS version).

I expect an announcement or tease regarding additional Newcomers / DLC very soon...maybe as early as tomorrow's TreeHouse stream.

Regarding who they'll be, I gotta say the 4chan leak and the NeoGAF post from today are the most likely. And don't forget Gematsu, who was the first to mention Chorus Men.

Where there's so much smoke for so long, and in so many places, there's a freaking inferno about to break out.

Last edited:

shinhed-echi

Smash Hero
NNID
punchtropics
3DS FC
5301-0890-0238
Clone handling and cut characters, Brawl vs SSB4 edition:

Brawl Newcloners // SSB4 Newcloners
:lucas://:drmario:
:wolf://:pit:
:toonlink:(Y.Link pseudo replacement?) // :4lucina:(Roy pseudo replacement?)
:falco::ganondorf: (still the same for both games)

Cut Characters

:drmario://:popo:
:pichumelee://:lucas:
:roymelee://:wolf:
:mewtwomelee://:squirtle:(:pt:)
:younglinkmelee://:ivysaur:(:pt:)
// (:sheilda:)

I'm aware I haven't asked the question yet but...
What do you guys think? Which game handled Clones and Cuts better?

I think Brawl handled clones real nicely. Wolf and Lucas played NOTHING like their original sources. Where as in SSB4 we get Dark Pit, Lucina, and vet Doc Mario who play almost EXACTLY like their source material.

Xzsmmc

Smash Champion
Clone handling and cut characters, Brawl vs SSB4 edition:

Brawl Newcloners // SSB4 Newcloners
:lucas://:drmario:
:wolf://:pit:
:toonlink:(Y.Link pseudo replacement?) // :4lucina:(Roy pseudo replacement?)
:falco::ganondorf: (still the same for both games)

Cut Characters

:drmario://:popo:
:pichumelee://:lucas:
:roymelee://:wolf:
:mewtwomelee://:squirtle:(:pt:)
:younglinkmelee://:ivysaur:(:pt:)
// (:sheilda:)

I'm aware I haven't asked the question yet but...
What do you guys think? Which game handled Clones and Cuts better?

I think Brawl handled clones real nicely. Wolf and Lucas played NOTHING like their original sources. Where as in SSB4 we get Dark Pit, Lucina, and vet Doc Mario who play almost EXACTLY like their source material.
Brawl only had one true clone, that being Toon Link. All of Brawl's cuts save Mewtwo were understandable as well. For this game, we have four clones, and the cuts baffle me. So I think Brawl did it better.

Come to think of it, Mewtwo was dropped for being glitchy and because of the SSE. It's hard to believe that because of those events, he'll never be in another Smash Bros. game.

Mr.X98

Smash Journeyman
I have managed to think of a metaphor towards those people who did not get specific characters

"It's like asking for Christmas gifts and receiving less then what you wanted and some socks (accept those socks are playable...)"

Not meant to be an angry Sakurai statement, more of a relation to the people that wanted specific characters. This was primarily made to explain how some people feel about the situation.

SegaNintendoUbisoft

The Amateur Artist
NNID
S.N.U0203
3DS FC
4725-8740-7336
As I said when the roster was leaked, with the exception of Dr.Mario and Dark Pit, I'm okay with this roster. Duck Hunt Dog looks really fun, and I'm impressed with Bowser Jr, the roster gets my seal of approval. Now Rayman better be DLC, Sakuari.

Spinosaurus

Treasure Hunter
NNID
WarioLand
So why is Smash Bros the only fighting game series where clones are bad?

Funny how the most requested fighters for Tekken Tag Tournament 2 back then were clones lol

Spinosaurus

Treasure Hunter
NNID
WarioLand
Ryu, Ken, Akuma, Gouken, Evil Ryu, Sakura...
Everybody likes these guys though?

EDIT: I think you misunderstood me. I'm talking about how people treat clones like they're bad in Smash, when in every other fighting game they're mostly accepted. ESPECIALLY Tekken, everybody loves them!

Last edited:
D

Deleted member

I hope we can get a glance at the ssb4 data some time soon.
I wanna see if the Brawl 6 had any files for them

Curious Villager

Puzzles...
Omg you stupid Sakurai with your bull**** bias, Dark Pit took Ridley and K. Rool's spot, lel u serious bro do u wanna pick on a fight, Samurai? I'll spam yo twitter with my annoying mates, brah

>That's how stupid people sound from others' point of view
Welcome to the pre-Brawl day's. (And the pre-Melee day's..... Probably pre-Smash 64 day's too.....)
That's how it usually goes, just give them time to cool off, it'l be fine and we'll be playing the games then and discussing other things such as the meta game and all. ^^

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom