• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Character Discussion Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

shrooby

Let me know when I'm supposed to laugh, okay?
BRoomer
NNID
shrooby
3DS FC
2320-6364-8294
It's official then. Ganondorf is the worst fighter once more, unless we're missing something.
Many of his moves seem to have much less start-up and ending lag.
He's "better," but it's hard to say how much, though, since we still need to see how he does in the various match-ups, but he has gained positive attributes.

ElPanandero

Smash Lord
NNID
ElPanandero
It's official then. Ganondorf is the worst fighter once more, unless we're missing something.
Well his lag might have been reduced, and I think he'll benefit from the faster speed and engine of smash 4..but yea he still seems pretty rough, hopefully Robin is competitive because maining low tiers is getting old and ganon looks to be low/mid low at best again

pupNapoleon

Smash Hero
NNID
NapoleonPlays
3DS FC
5129-1683-5306
Switch FC
SW 3124 9647 8311
This went exactly as I thought :)

Still waiting for timed release content or some other statement toward it.

Sleeping for the past few hours. My week is so messed up now !!

Rosalina suporter

Smash Ace
Im happy with what we got,But i feel like there could have been more characters added it kinda feels lackluster.Im still excited for the game tho :D.

Last edited:

Rockaphin

Smash Champion
NNID
Rockaphin
3DS FC
2595-0113-8473
I guess but you know ice climbers are going to be first.
If technical difficulties really are an issue, then I don't think they'll even be DLC. Unless they were able to find a way around the problem.

D

Deleted member

I guess but you know ice climbers are going to be first.
Hate to burst your bubble, but they were excluded because of 3DS limitations. Limitations of the system can't be fixed. If anything, Lucas, Wolf, Ivysaur, and Squirtle are first.

ultimatekoopa

Smash Ace
Maybe if Sakurai makes a DK or Metroid game we would get KKR, Dixie, Ridley, Dark Samus, new stages on both versions, a lot of enemies, a lot of items and in DK case, an AT
I already made up my mind, I'm going to spent my money on something that is actually worth it

bballstar23

Smash Ace
Switch FC
SW-2383-6686-1312
But still the exclusion of Mewtwo is just strange.
I mean you can say it is, but it's not completely unusual. He's already been cut before, and I'm not sure there were any obvious signs pointing to his comeback at all, as much as I would have liked to have him as a fighter again.

Pakky

Smash Hero
Hate to burst your bubble, but they were excluded because of 3DS limitations. Limitations of the system can't be fixed. If anything, Lucas, Wolf, Ivysaur, and Squirtle are first.
Oh no, that's good I'd rathered that happen, I don't even like Ice climbers that much.

Last edited:

Mr.X98

Smash Journeyman
I am an uber Mario fan, so the following statement feels very weird to me when I state it:

I am not a fan of the Mario slot taking up a large portion of the characters.

It would have been fine of this happened and there were more characters to diversify the roster as well. But removing character reps in favor of a clone and another Mario newcomer does take it to far. I sincerely hope there will be DLC, Scratch that, Free DLC when WiiU version comes out.

Once again this is highly opinionated and you do not have to agree with me. As such, I am happy with the roster due to Doc but I am actually questioning why they took out so many reps for small game series (IE: Lucas, Wolf) if not replace them with diverse characters.

*EDIT* Just like Mario Kart 8's "Seven Deadly Skins" situation, I am not bringing anything to the table about this after this post. This is a one time viewpoint *unless you guys want to try and change it, because I am okay with a discussion if you are miffed about this post. For now, I will just hover around SmashBoards for a bit.

And that goes for the Mario stages too! unfair rep by my standards

Last edited:

Mario & Sonic Guy

Old rivalries live on!
NNID
TPitch5
3DS FC
5327-1637-5096
Well disapointing but im still very very happy with the roster

But guys remember DLc is still possible so mewtwo, ridley, king k rool may just be dlc
If DLC is planned, the content may end up following the same route as Mario Kart 8's DLC; you can pre-order, but the DLC isn't officially released until a certain date.

Pakky

Smash Hero
I mean you can say it is, but it's not completely unusual. He's already been cut before, and I'm not sure there were any obvious signs pointing to his comeback at all, as much as I would have liked to have him as a fighter again.
See its been in the media very heavily, even before the release of XY and is only one of two pokemon out of 700+ to have two mega evolutions. and now its going to be in another pokemon mega evolution Tv special.

bballstar23

Smash Ace
Switch FC
SW-2383-6686-1312
I like the roster, I just don't like the quantity of starters and unlockables.
Yeah I've been fine with it for a few weeks now, even if one of my favorite characters didn't make it. I'm still not a huge fan of the clones, but I kind of understand why they're there. I agree with the starters vs unlockable ratio though. Seems strange to have so many newcomers available right off the bat. I also wish it was a bit more challenging to get them all too.

Glaciacott

Smash Lord
On http://www.twitch.tv/gema_yue the message popped up:
"Fighters are now all available, the true battle begins here!

True All-Star mode unlocked, defeat all the fighters!"

Yup, this is it boys and girls.

---

Yes, people are "ungrateful" because some are unsatisfied with the roster, even though they aren't being handed this game for free nor from a charity.

By that logic, I could claim your just being a complacent fanboy/girl (see? I can generalize too).

Yes, some people are being silly and overreacting, but don't generalize and instill how others should feel. Many people have different reasons for buying/playing games like these. They may seem silly to you, but these reasons are why some will buy/not buy a game for such reasons (like roster, content, gameplay, etc).
I specifically referred to the very same silly overexaggerations you speak of. So frankly I don't see why you felt the need to go defensive if you're not one of those people.

Starcutter

Resident Beedrill
NNID
Legendofrob1
3DS FC
1908-0357-9077
Greninja's trailer was an obvious sign (deliberately making greninja's fingers not webbed to look like mewtwo), also Sakurai going out of his way to rise from his seat from the audience in a pokemon AMA to answer whether or not mewtwo would be using his mega evolution.

CoolEric258

Smash Cadet
Well...I can dig it. This roster expanded franchises and gave new ideas in these franchises, but gave so much series representation. Rosalina is a spiritual IC and is way more interesting than two characters that have the exact same moveset, and their gimmick being meaningless when Nana's gone. Bowser Jr. is essentially Tron Bonne in the vs. Capcom series which is awesome! Palutena offers plenty of customizations and styles, and while I'm not crazy for custom move sets, it's at least the thought that counts. Little Mac was my most requested character, and he looks to deliver. He balances out very well and looks great for a guy like me who sticks to the ground. Greninja also is shaping up to be fun. He was my starter in Pokemon Y and he looks like a lot of fun with his agility and aerials. DHD is so bizarre and strange, yet I love him because of that. He looks so adorable and playing around with the light gun concept seems inventive. Even Hogan's Alley is a part of his moveset. Weird, but pretty nice. Villager also is in that camp of being so bizarre, and yet works really well. And Wii Fit Trainer is also so hilariously enjoyable it hurts. I haven't seen footage of Dark Pit yet, but if he's like the Doc in Melee, that's fine by me. Miis were not only up there in my wants, but they went above and beyond with them, making them all look epic. Robin brings magic and swordsplay to the table and looks awesome to play as, and Lucina looking way better than Marth is nice too. Pac-Man was another big request, but he's the only character I'm dissatisfied with. He doesn't look all that fun and way too slow. But Mega Man...oh Mega Man. I wasn't into his games at the time, but let me tell you that he looks fantastic, with so much love and dedication given to him. And what makes this great is that with only two clones/semi-clones added beating out Melee's 6 additions and tying Brawl's 3. And there are 7 franchises being added, beating out Melee's 3 and Brawl's 6. Now would I want more DK characters? Yeah. Will I miss the cuts? Yeah. Do I want more villains? Eh, I could go either way. But the game still has characters that touch my heart, and the fighting system is sill intact, and to me that's all that matters.

Also, Mewtwo's really lame in Melee. Just sayin'.

Rockaphin

Smash Champion
NNID
Rockaphin
3DS FC
2595-0113-8473
Greninja's trailer was an obvious sign (deliberately making greninja's fingers not webbed to look like mewtwo), also Sakurai going out of his way to rise from his seat from the audience in a pokemon AMA to answer whether or not mewtwo would be using his mega evolution.
Didn't he say, "We're thinking about it!" regarding Mewtwo's appearance?

Last edited:

shinhed-echi

Smash Hero
NNID
punchtropics
3DS FC
5301-0890-0238
So this pretty much sums how I feel about the Newcomers.

:4littlemac::4megaman::4sonic::058: 5/5 Hype level over 100% (Definite mains)
:4pacman::bowser: 4/5 Hype level: 76%-100%
:4robinf::4shulk::4wiifit::rosalina:3/5 Hype level: 51%-75%
:4palutena::4mii:2/5 Hype level: 26%-50%
:4greninja::4villager:1/5 Hype level: 1%-25%
:drmario::pit::4lucina: 0/5 Hype level: 0% (not because they're last minute clones, but because they could have easily fit a COLOR swap slot, something which at least two out of these three have achieved in previous SSB titles. (Dark Pit = Brawl, Doc = P:M)

Crescendo

Smash Journeyman
I like the roster, I just don't like the quantity of starters and unlockables.
My main problem is the huge lack of content. All of the characters were unlocked by just doing over and over Classic Mode, the number of challenge is absolutely laughable and aside of Smash Run (and obviously online play), the game just feels incredibly empty. I want the WiiU version to have more content (mainly Event Matches), but I have an extremely bad feeling about this.
I really hope I'm wrong on this.

bballstar23

Smash Ace
Switch FC
SW-2383-6686-1312
The Greninja thing just seems to be overthinking things, and...

Didn't he say, "We're thinking about it!" regarding Mewtwo's appearance?
Yes, I believe that's what he said. So he did open the door a bit and give some hope with that statement, but he could have also just been trying to be polite.

ActionHankBeard

Smash Apprentice
NNID
ActionHankBeard
What else is there to be unlocked besides characters? Cause it feels like the 3DS version is severely lacking in terms of content and unlockables.

JaidynReiman

Smash Hero
NNID
JaidynReiman
What else is there to be unlocked besides characters? Cause it feels like the 3DS version is severely lacking in terms of content and unlockables.
A few stages, but half the stage unlocks come WITH characters. And the grand majority of all the unlocks are very easy to get.

zauberdragon

Smash Journeyman
The Wii U will have loads more content. I'm predicting a stage builder, event matches, target smash and hopefully some brand new stuff. The 3DS one for me will always be the travelling version, I'll pump 3-4 times the amount of time into the Wii U one I'm sure.

Pakky

Smash Hero

:drmario::pit::4lucina: 0/5 Hype level: 0% (not because they're last minute clones, but because they could have easily fit a COLOR swap slot, something which at least two out of these three have achieved in previous SSB titles. (Dark Pit = Brawl, Doc = P:M)
I agree heavily on the first and bottom rows.

Good lord the bottom row is awful, just a bunch of nothing, Dr.mario though? If I told myself that he would return in this game a year ago, I would have called myself a dirty liar.

SuperNintendoKid

Smash Lord
Yeah I've been fine with it for a few weeks now, even if one of my favorite characters didn't make it. I'm still not a huge fan of the clones, but I kind of understand why they're there. I agree with the starters vs unlockable ratio though. Seems strange to have so many newcomers available right off the bat. I also wish it was a bit more challenging to get them all too.
yeah even some veterans I expected to be unlockable were starters : Lucario, Luigi, Captain Falcon, Marth, Sonic and Toon Link.
Newcomers: Greninja, Mega Man, Pac-Man, Robin and Shulk.
it feels like playing Mario Kart 8 all over again...:crying:

Rockaphin

Smash Champion
NNID
Rockaphin
3DS FC
2595-0113-8473

:4villager::4robinm::4robinf: : 5/5
:4greninja::rosalina::substitute:(Bowser Jr.) : 4/5
:4pacman::4lucina: : 3/5
:4littlemac::4megaman::4palutena::substitute:(Duck Hunt Dog) : 2/5
:4shulk::4wiifit::4mii: : 1/5
:4pit:(Dark Pit) : Dark Pit Tier
Me no liek that. I prefer to unlock a decent amount of characters and content.

Last edited:

ElPanandero

Smash Lord
NNID
ElPanandero
Everyone 5/5
except
:4shulk:Dark:4pit::4palutena: 3/5
:4wiifit::4mii: 0/5

And I think the WIIU is gonna have way more content, like the classic console stuff were used to from melee and brawl, I think it's just the functionality of the 3DS, I don't think they chose to release a bare bones game, I think it was circumstantial

Last edited:

pupNapoleon

Smash Hero
NNID
NapoleonPlays
3DS FC
5129-1683-5306
Switch FC
SW 3124 9647 8311
My reasons why they got in.
Dr. Mario = major importance to Nintendo to get a slot back again.
Dark Pit = promotion to KI:U, easy to clone.
Dr Mario got in to appease the Melee competitive fans, I'm almost positive.
Also to balance out number of Mario's to Link and Samus, but that is a personal idea of aesthetic.

Protom

Smash Lord
NNID
Toonfearow
3DS FC
1521-4412-3019
Well, this is the 3ds roster. It has mega man, my most wanted character, and a bunch of characters I'm excited for. (Yes, even clones)
the cuts sting, but are understandable.
my final thoughts on the roster are a 9/10. Would be a 10/10 if ice climbers, wolf and maybe Lucas weren't cut, but whatever.
In still have faith in the whole wii u characters theory and in Dlc.
(As to my message to Ridley fans: It ain't over till the wii u version comes out!!!!!)

Rockaphin

Smash Champion
NNID
Rockaphin
3DS FC
2595-0113-8473
Also to balance out number of Mario's to Link and Samus, but that is a personal idea of aesthetic.
I agree with the latter. I honestly think that's why we received Dr. Mario. And the fact that he's an easy character to make.

Pakky

Smash Hero
What do you mean by balance?

Last edited:
NNID
TheSir24
3DS FC
2191-8079-5484
Oh, are we rating newcomers now? Let's see...

5/5: :4villager::4robinm::4palutena::substitute::substitute: (Bowser Jr., Duck Hunt Dog)
4/5: :4greninja::4littlemac::4wiifit:
3/5: :4megaman::4shulk:
2/5: :rosalina::4pacman::4mii:
1/5: :4lucina::substitute: (Dark Pit)

The roster is GREAT. There are some VERY odd choices, but overall I love the newcomers and the changes they've made on the veterans. I hope we have something awaiting for us when Wii U arrives, or maybe as DLC later on, though.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom