• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Character Discussion Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

JonesGamer

Smash Cadet
So with six POTDs left until the Japanese release, what kind of reveals do you all think we'll be getting? I could see a veteran reveal for tomorrow, and a possible escalation in character reveals next week.

Zenblast

Smash Rookie
NNID
zenblast
Warning Received
I know this is a bit of a stretch but I would love Luigi's alt to be professor e Gadd or a proper waluigi

So with six POTDs left until the Japanese release, what kind of reveals do you all think we'll be getting? I could see a veteran reveal for tomorrow, and a possible escalation in character reveals next week.
I think we will get a character not from the leak as a reveal before the game is released to get the hype flowing like crazy. And maybe a look at that mother stage on the 3ds that the leak showed us.

Last edited by a moderator:

Twin Shot

Smash Journeyman
With Bowser Jr and Duck Hunt left to be revealed, I don't think any of the remaining unlockables will be new characters.

Sorry Ridley, Krool and Dixie. Maybe for WiiU or DLC.

Before Robin (Lucina) and Shulk were revealed, I am pretty sure Sakurai stated we are nearing "the bottom of the barrel" with reveal trailers. If you throw three more characters in, that defeats the whole purpose of saying it to begin with.

Think that most of the New Characters will have their reveal trailers in the game (akin to Brawl with third parties) and that's part of the reason they get those trailers, to make them special. Clones are simply tagged in other trailers (Dark Pit, Lucina).

If we are looking at characters not listed on the leaked roster, we should look at these guys: Lucas, Wolf, Mewtwo, Snake, Ice Climbers.

Last edited:

CrusherMania1592

Deaf Smasher
Premium
3DS FC
5472-7454-3545
It's possible of maybe one more character before reveal (Wario probably), but at this point I'd doubt it. They'd most likely focus on showing us things from the 3DS version before going back and forth for the Wii U/3DS in preparing for US

Jason the Yoshi

Watching Me, Wanting Me
It's possible of maybe one more character before reveal (Wario probably), but at this point I'd doubt it. They'd most likely focus on showing us things from the 3DS version before going back and forth for the Wii U/3DS in preparing for US
I dunno, I could see a reveal in between the Japanese release and American release, but yes, I do hope it's Wario. (Or Ness)

Smashoperatingbuddy123

Smash Legend
My head saids the last potd before release might be mewtwo because everybody wants him as in

And then reveal ridley as playable for the usa version (ofcoarse a leaker is going to be pat sakurai if he trys that.)

lltacx

Smash Journeyman
I think (and hope i'm wrong) we do not get a reveal before the japanese release unless there will be a direct, and there won't because i think they'll keep the direct for the Wii U release :o

JonesGamer

Smash Cadet
It would be kind of pointless to save any big reveals since we'll learn everything within a day of the Japanese release anyways. Unless the 3DS version gets a patch that adds more characters when the Wii U version releases, then I don't see that working well. Who says we can't have multiple newcomers revealed in one trailer (sort of like the Brawl E3 trailer)?

FalcoPaunch!121

Smash Apprentice
3DS FC
5386-9681-7388

Guys would you like to have Bayonetta shown as a new character for Smash? :drohmy: (forget about the reasons why she can or can't be in the game, just let talk about Bayonetta as a character)
Should I make a moveset?

EDIT: Here you go.
Overall Stats
Speed 7/10
Weight 4/10 (=floaty-ness)
Strength 6/10
Jumps 2 - Double jump is done by her butterfly wings as in the game
Height - About the same height as Marth, but ducking will make her extremely small, when she ducks she lies on the ground on her back, same height as standing when walking/running

Speciality
Weapon Switching, Taunting will switch her weapons between two sets
This switch will only affect A attacks.
Set 1
Hands: Guns
Feet: Guns

Set 2
Hands: Katana (Shuraba)
Feet: Ice Skates (Odette)

A attacks
Neutral AAA Combo
Two kicks that change into a fury of kicks
Guns -> Hold A to end the combo and fire a 3% dealing gunshot
Skates -> Increased overall damage, very small chance to freeze enemies with high percent

Dashing Attack - Stinger
She slides on the ground while stinging forward
Guns -> While stinging 3 shots are fired that deal 1% each and do not stun enemies
Katana -> Increased reach

Side Tilt
A kick that attacks in a crescent shape hotizontally before her, also hits a little behind her
Guns -> Also fires a 1%-bullet like above
Skates -> Hold A to spin like a spinning top, long cooldown

Up Tilt
She does a standing split, pulling her leg up from the ground behind her, hitting enemies behind and above her
Guns -> Fire 3 1%-bullets, one along the ground, one at 45° and one towards the air
Skates -> Increased damage, very small chance to freeze enemies with high percent

Down Tilt
When ducking, she lies on her back, she attacks with her knees forward by pulling them towards her body and half-jumping to the front, unaffected by the weapon set

Neutral Aerial
Quick Punch
Guns -> Fires a 1%-Bullet with the attack
Katana -> Can extend the combo to three hits by holding A, falling downwards while doing it

Front Aerial
Frontflip with feet hitting the enemy
Guns -> Fires some 1%-bullets
Skates -> Can extend the frontflip for a while by holding A, staying in the same place in the air

Back Aerial
Kick diagonally towards the ground behind her
Guns -> Fires a 1%-Bullet
Skates -> Stronger, but longer period of immobility afterwards

Up Aerial
Weak Punch to enemies above
Guns -> Fires a 1-% Bullet straight into the air
Katana -> Gives Bayonetta additional height, but makes her immobile for a while after

Down Aerial
She dives into the ground feet first, more damage the higher you were when it started, long cooldown upon landing
Guns -> 1%-Shots are fired left and right when landing
Skates -> Impact Area increases, very small chance to freeze enemies with high percent

Side Smash
Strong Fist Punch
Guns -> Fires 1%-shots after the punch, number depends on how much the attack was charged
Katana -> Increased Reach and Knockback

Up Smash
Summoning a fist from the ground before her by stomping in the ground, grows in length the longer charged, but is barely useful without charging it at least halfway, unaffected by set

Down Smash
Breakdance on the floor
Guns - Also fire 1%-Bullets in random directions
Skates -> Increased damage, very small chance to freeze enemies with high percent
Grabs
All grabs use the Kulshedra-Whip and kicks/slaps

B Attacks
Neutral B - Onyx Roses
Shotgun is fired horizontally

Side B - Panther
Turning into a panther, increases movement speed and jump width, but decreases jump height
Can only be canceled by using any attack, which will always result in the panther claw, or getting hit
Turning into a panther is fast, but turning back will be followed by a long cooldown after the attack

Up B - Kulshedra (Whip)
Using the Kulshedra-Whip, she can grab the ledge similar to Olimar/ZSS/Ivysaur
Does no damage when hitting an enemy, but pulls them towards you (without stunning, so they can hit you if not already stunned)

Down B - Moon of Mahaa-Kalaa (Parrying)
Completely nullifies enemy attack and counters it with a normal punch, has to be frame perfect like the power shield, if failed, long cooldown

Final Smash - Climax
All attacks cause magic hands and feet and so on to appear for a short period of time[spoiler/]

So, thoughts?

Last edited:

Charkoaler

Smash Rookie
NNID
charkoaler
3DS FC
3969-5051-8391
The only veterans i really care for getting back in that weren't in the leaked CSS are the ice climbers. If so then any other returning veterans are just icing on top, I'm so happy with the roster we have now that despite which newcomers get announced prior to the announcment of Dark Pit, Bowser Jr., and DHD, i'm gonna love this game to death

~Krystal~

True American Heroine

Guys would you like to have Bayonetta shown as a new character for Smash? :drohmy: (forget about the reasons why she can or can't be in the game, just let talk about Bayonetta as a character)
It would be a dream come true for me to control my favorite Umbra witch in Smash Bros.

FalcoPaunch!121

Smash Apprentice
3DS FC
5386-9681-7388
The only veterans i really care for getting back in that weren't in the leaked CSS are the ice climbers. If so then any other returning veterans are just icing on top, I'm so happy with the roster we have now that despite which newcomers get announced prior to the announcment of Dark Pit, Bowser Jr., and DHD, i'm gonna love this game to death
Wolf. Wolf. Wolf. Wolf. Wolf. Wolf.

Maxilian

Smash Ace
Wolf. Wolf. Wolf. Wolf. Wolf. Wolf.
Actually these the veteran i'm really waiting for, and that's weird, cause i never used Wolf, he was my brother's main (or one of his mains) and Lucas and Ivysor were one of my mains (Well at least :ivysaur: ) but i'm really not expecting them, maybe because i feel they don't have a big chance like Wolf to come back :drshrug:

FalcoPaunch!121

Smash Apprentice
3DS FC
5386-9681-7388
Actually these the veteran i'm really waiting for, and that's weird, cause i never used Wolf, he was my brother's main (or one of his mains) and Lucas and Ivysor were one of my mains (Well at least :ivysaur: ) but i'm really not expecting them, maybe because i feel they don't have a big chance like Wolf to come back :drshrug:
Hey, dont give up on Mother 3's star!

Jason the Yoshi

Watching Me, Wanting Me

It's not solely that she's third party that I want her to stay out, it's more about that she's just not a very good role model for Platinum games.

FalcoPaunch!121

Smash Apprentice
3DS FC
5386-9681-7388
But she is more like a 2nd party now!

....Does anyone care that I made a moveset... or that it is my 150 post?

Last edited:

~Krystal~

True American Heroine
I'd give up on Mother 3 if it meant Snake would come back. Lucas for him is an easy trade, but that's not how it would work. :glare:

Maxilian

Smash Ace
Warning Received
It's not solely that she's third party that I want her to stay out, it's more about that she's just not a very good role model for Platinum games.
Why wouldn't she be a good role model? :p

Also... Bayonetta 2 exist thanks to Nintendo, so it makes sense to have her in Smash, she's almost a Nintendo character already

But she is more like a 2nd party now!

....Does anyone care that I made a moveset... or that it is my 150 post?
Go on, lets see what ideas you have :dr^_^:

Last edited by a moderator:

~Krystal~

True American Heroine
Why wouldn't she be a good role model? :p

Also... Bayonetta 2 exist thanks to Nintendo, so it makes sense to have her in Smash, she's almost a Nintendo character already
Bayonetta's erased the usual arguments against third parties (no games on Nintendo consoles, relevancy, etc). All that's left is her rated M nature. Shulk and ZSS have pushed the envelope a little bit, though. If Bayonetta ever takes off her clothes, she'll have only joined the club.

TheDarkKnightNoivern

Smash Master
Haven't posted one of these before, but I've been making them for months, but anyway with the game only a few days away now, and with recent leaks and rumours. here is my final roster prediction

Dr. Mario, Dark Pit, Bowser Jr and Duck Hunt Dog are there because of the leak so not much to say there.

I feel the remaining potential slots to make the leaked roster a full grid will likely include

Ice Climbers: Introduced in Melee and stuck around for Brawl, also the polar bear from their games is in smash run so I don't see how they won't make it in
Chorus Men: Even though Gematsu was disproven the fact a sneaky spirit appeared in smash run points to their inclusion
Mewtwo: Given Sakurai was "thinking about it" and all of Mewtwo's recent relevance in the pokemon series not to mention the inclusion of Dr. Mario and the massive fan outcry that will ensue if Mewtwo isn't included I feel he will almost certainly be included.

my two less likely predictions

Bandana Dee: at this point the Kirby series has recieved very little attention in this smash and with Bandana Dee quickly taking his place as the fourth main character of the Kirby series it would be nice to see him in, and his spear would provide a different fighting style
Dixie Kong: some people think she'll be a clone of Diddy, but personally I think that would be an insult to her, Dixie has many abilities that make her stand out from the other Kongs, mostly involving her hair. if they included her without making use of her hair it just wouldn't be true to the character. out of the two potential newcomers for the DK series (Dixie and K.Rool) I personally feel that Dix has the better shot even with the Kremlings beign in smash run.

As future DLC I can see the returns of Wolf and Lucas as well as the inclusions of some newcomers (I'd personally like to see Chibi Robo and Wonder Red, and feel that Ridley is likely to be added here too. as is K.Rool)
I see a lack of a zelda rep, it's gonna happen, I just know

AncientTobacco

Smash Lord

No thanks.

Bayo is nowhere near the level of Sonic, Mega Man and Pac-Man.

Last edited:

Maxilian

Smash Ace
Bayonetta's erased the usual arguments against third parties (no games on Nintendo consoles, relevancy, etc). All that's left is her rated M nature. Shulk and ZSS have pushed the envelope a little bit, though. If Bayonetta ever takes off her clothes, she'll have only joined the club.
Yeah, i agree that the only thing agaisnt her inclusion is that she's M rated :drshrug:

No thanks.

Bayo is nowhere near the level of Sonic, Mega Man and Pac-Man.
Why should she be in the same level of Sonic, Mega Man and Pac-Man, she's not even the same type of 3rd party character, she's more of a Nintendo character right now, while Sonic, Mega Man and Pac-man are actually guess characters

Last edited:

Jason the Yoshi

Watching Me, Wanting Me
Why should she be in the same level of Sonic, Mega Man and Pac-Man, she's not even the same type of 3rd party character, she's more of a Nintendo character right now, while Sonic, Mega Man and Pac-man are actually guess characters
Nintendo would have to buy Platinum Games for Bayonetta to become Nintendo, which I do not see happening anytime soon.

Trogdorbad

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Trogdorbad
So, out of curiosity, if it turns out to be true that Mewtwo is back, which Mega do you think would be his Final Smash? The smart one would be X, since like Charizard, it's the physical buff and makes more sense because punching and kicking, but I get a bad feeling they'd use the Y form because it was the very first Mega ever revealed for X/Y.

Deathcarter

Smash Lord
Yeah, i agree that the only thing agaisnt her inclusion is that she's M rated :drshrug:

Why would Sakurai, a developer who isn't an actual employee of Nintendo anymore, put in a 3rd party character who's only game has been on the HD consoles just to promote the second exclusive game, which has yet to be released, that's only exclusive in the first place because Sega didn't feel it would be profitable enough to fund themselves and has no guarantee of sticking with Nintendo even if financially successful? She basically has all of the flaws of both Snake and Roy without any of the plus sides (video gaming icon who's creator begged Sakurai to be included in Smash and newest protagonist in a represented Nintendo franchise who can be made into a cheap last minue clone to pad the roster respectively).

CrusherMania1592

Deaf Smasher
Premium
3DS FC
5472-7454-3545

I'd be fine with a trophy, but not a playable character. She seems too mature for this kind of game, but that's me. At least Snake can be toned down

GunGunW

Smash Lord
NNID
GunGunW
I don't think Bayonetta will be in Smash this time around. It'll probably be like the hyrule warriors direct and have absolutely nothing to do with smash.

plumpythepanda

Smash Cadet
NNID
plumpythepanda
3DS FC
3325-1502-8082
Okay can I just say that I'd be really disappointed if that starting roster leak or whatever is our real starting roster? I love unlocking the characters because it gives us something to work towards. Hell, I'd be fine with the starting roster being the original 12 and then we get to unlock everyone else. Does anyone agree?

JamesDNaux

Smash Hero
NNID
JamesDNaux
How do people seriously say things like "Bayonetta is more Nintendo now."

Does anyone understand how third parties work?

Just because I keep hanging around my friends house every day doesn't mean I live there.

Just because Bayonetta has a single exclusive game doesn't make her Nintendo.

How many times have I said that there is no such thing as "closeness" between companies?

~Krystal~

True American Heroine
Why would Sakurai, a developer who isn't an actual employee of Nintendo anymore, put in a 3rd party character who's only game has been on the HD consoles just to promote the second exclusive game, which has yet to be released, that's only exclusive in the first place because Sega didn't feel it would be profitable enough to fund themselves and has no guarantee of sticking with Nintendo even if financially successful?
By that same token, why would he promote the likes of Shulk, Palutena and the Fire Emblem cast before Mewtwo, King K. Rool and Ridley? You seriously think there is no marketing agenda in his thought process? That these characters were added purely on fan demand and moveset potential?

DustyPumpkin

Smash Lord
NNID
DustyPumpkin
3DS FC
4038-5990-1614
Switch FC
0550-6678-6601
So, out of curiosity, if it turns out to be true that Mewtwo is back, which Mega do you think would be his Final Smash? The smart one would be X, since like Charizard, it's the physical buff and makes more sense because punching and kicking, but I get a bad feeling they'd use the Y form because it was the very first Mega ever revealed for X/Y.
I'm thinking Y myself, Just because the game has punching and kicking doesn't really sound like a good reason for X to be the "Smart Choice"

BluePikmin11

Akko is my dear daughter!
NNID
blue
How do people seriously say things like "Bayonetta is more Nintendo now."

Does anyone understand how third parties work?

Just because I keep hanging around my friends house every day doesn't mean I live there.

Just because Bayonetta has a single exclusive game doesn't make her Nintendo.

How many times have I said that there is no such thing as "closeness" between companies?
It's called relationship. :p

Niala

Smash Ace
Okay can I just say that I'd be really disappointed if that starting roster leak or whatever is our real starting roster? I love unlocking the characters because it gives us something to work towards. Hell, I'd be fine with the starting roster being the original 12 and then we get to unlock everyone else. Does anyone agree?
I agree 9001%. Unlocking characters is imo one of the most fun things about the game.

saggernaut724

Smash Rookie
NNID
sagwinsl
3DS FC
4785-6664-3260
This honestly sounds pretty stupid, but what if they introduced customizable final smashes? I know they wouldn't do that, but Mewtwo could get X and Y, and so could Charizard. Each would give different buffs and nerfs, similar to X and Y, and they would each have a different effect, or perhaps a different move or ability. I think it would be interesting. I haven't thought it out much, but what are the thoughts of everyone (who cares)?

JamesDNaux

Smash Hero
NNID
JamesDNaux
It's called relationship. :p
There is no relationship.

Companies are not like two friends that hang out, everything is business. Sonic has three exclusive games? Mutual agreement between two companies that makes money for the both of them. Bayonetta has an exclusive game? She wouldn't even have a sequel if Nintendo hadn't gone to Sega and made the deal. They don't do these things because of a "relationship," everything is for money. They only care about profiting their own businesses, a company is not a person that can form a relationship.

~Krystal~

True American Heroine
If SEGA and Nintendo have any relationship, it's strictly business. That said, now that Nintendo has financed Bayonetta's sequel, they have every incentive to market the character through any means necessary. If that means throwing her into Smash Bros as playable character, so be it. And don't for one moment think they wouldn't resort to this measure. It's all about what makes dollar sense to them before what makes sense to us. :troll:

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom