• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Character Discussion Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

Morbi

Scavenger
With Sceptile, do you guys think it could work for him to be a semi-clone of Greninja?

Like swap the water swords with leaf blades, shuriken becomes razor leaf, whirlpools become leaf tornado (it's a Pokemon move), up special can become leaf storm and Shadow Sneak can basically be the same thing given that it could fit for both Pokemon.
I suppose it could work; honestly, that was the predominant reason I dismissed Sceptile so early. It just seems as though Greninja borrows what Sceptile could have used. Albeit, it would be one of the more unnecessary clones (reminiscent of Ganondorf). People would wish we got characters like Dark Pit or Dixie instead.

pupNapoleon

Smash Hero
NNID
NapoleonPlays
3DS FC
5129-1683-5306
Switch FC
SW 3124 9647 8311
The thing is, while the fans may be used to it now, the advertisers aren't treating it that way. Blaziken is still being featured alongside the others, so as far as GF is concerned, both are on the same level in terms of marketing for that game.
Of COURSE he is IN as many promotions, Game Freak knows you cannot have two of the three starter Pokemon present if you are going to properly represent Pokemon. :p

I suppose it could work; honestly, that was the predominant reason I dismissed Sceptile so early. It just seems as though Greninja borrows what Sceptile could have used. Albeit, it would be one of the more unnecessary clones (reminiscent of Ganondorf). People would wish we got characters like Dark Pit or Dixie instead.
Naw; I don't think anyone wants nor believes that Dark Pit has any shot.

Last edited:

CodeBlue_

Smash Journeyman
Switch FC
SW-2347-7011-5339
Actually guys, I've found the perfect representative that fits the Grass Triad:

Just think about it for a second :troll:

Morbi

Scavenger
Actually guys, I've found the perfect representative that fits the Grass Triad:

Just think about it for a second :troll:
I thought about it and the joke went over my head.

Of COURSE he is IN as many promotions, Game Freak knows you cannot have two of the three starter Pokemon present if you are going to properly represent Pokemon. :p

Naw; I don't think anyone wants or believes that Dark Pit has any shot.
Not necessarily what I intended to insinuate. A Sceptile clone of Greninja would be construed as wasted potential (as they share more differences than similarities) on par with Ganondorf. People do not want to see these characters misrepresented. In the case of characters, such as Dark Pit, there is not any misrepresentation as they share more similarities than differences.

Blue Ninjakoopa

Smash Journeyman
NNID
BlueNinjakoopa
3DS FC
3265-5187-8163
Greninja's moves are unique to it. Sceptile doesn't move like a ninja, I imagine it would have quick wrist blade attacks and sluggish tail attacks.

Dixie would be unique too, and if Sceptile got in, I don't think there'd be any complaints that Dark Pit should have gotten in instead. :p

Morbi

Scavenger
Greninja's moves are unique to it. Sceptile doesn't move like a ninja, I imagine it would have quick wrist blade attacks and sluggish tail attacks.

Dixie would be unique too, and if Sceptile got in, I don't think there'd be any complaints that Dark Pit should have gotten in instead. :p
I would certainly be complaining that Dark Pit should have gotten in instead.

D

Deleted member

...I swear to God, if the Lilligant joke is referring to Greninja having what people perceive as a "Stitch-like" voice....

Masonomace

Yeah Shulk, get stuck in!
NNID
Masonomace
Gender diversity? I suppose she is shoe-in at this rate.

Dark pit is up... because he is flying, without the aid of Palutena, mind you.
Flying types are rare. Not even Charizard reps that fricken type & he's Dual Fire/Flying.
Dark Pit is anti-hero / villain, provides a color swap & Kid Icarus another slot. Next:shades:

CodeBlue_

Smash Journeyman
Switch FC
SW-2347-7011-5339
I'm bad at making jokes. :c

It was supposed to represent a Generation V pokémon while keeping the trio...

Because you know N's Castle and stuff...

Oh who am I kidding even the pic of the day is begging me to stop.

Last edited:
D

Deleted member

Aside from the female thing, Serperior would have made the connection easier.

pupNapoleon

Smash Hero
NNID
NapoleonPlays
3DS FC
5129-1683-5306
Switch FC
SW 3124 9647 8311
Not necessarily what I intended to insinuate. A Sceptile clone of Greninja would be construed as wasted potential (as they share more differences than similarities) on par with Ganondorf. People do not want to see these characters misrepresented. In the case of characters, such as Dark Pit, there is not any misrepresentation as they share more similarities than differences.
Hmm... my statement was not directed towards you, it was for the quotation above that excerpt.

Aside from the female thing, Serperior would have made the connection easier.
I do not understand this.
edit: nevermind, it makes sense now that I've read all backwards.

I wonder if we will see Ash's Sceptile come back soon? That will be a pretty helpful indication of what Game Freak is pushing.

Last edited:

Morbi

Scavenger
Hmm... my statement was not directed towards you, it was for the quotation above that excerpt.

I do not understand this.
Serperior is the fifth generation final evolutionary form of the grass starter. It has just as much merit as Sceptile. However, in terms of grass starters, I prefer Dark Pit. :troll:

Last edited:

pupNapoleon

Smash Hero
NNID
NapoleonPlays
3DS FC
5129-1683-5306
Switch FC
SW 3124 9647 8311
Serperior is the fifth generation final evolutionary form of the grass starter. It has just as much merit as Sceptile. However, in terms of grass starters, I prefer Dark Pit. :troll:
Eh, not as much merit as sceptile.
Again, the fact that Sceptile would be used as a marketing ploy for ORAS says more than just about anything else.
Not to mention, we can pretend Blaziken was the only popular character, but the truth is that all of the Gen 3 starters were incredibly popular, likely second only to gen 1. Sceptile may not have been as popular as Blaziken (kind of like Robin to Chrom), but he certainly was and is very popular.

pupNapoleon

Smash Hero
NNID
NapoleonPlays
3DS FC
5129-1683-5306
Switch FC
SW 3124 9647 8311
However, in terms of grass starters, I prefer Dark Pit. :troll:

You know, we argue all the time about how Sakurai can make anything playable. But... seriously, I do not think he would make a random dark pit playable. It is not a character, it is a stage hazard, and I can assure you that if Villager seemed too far stretched in Brawl's days, we havnt seen anything as inventive as making a Pitfall pit come to life!
It would also be a pretty poor choice for a third party addition.

aldelaro5

Paper Mario P
Canada, Quebec (or Rogeuport if you want)
NNID
aldelaro5
3DS FC
3050-7721-6617
Took some time, but I believe I found where the debate began.
What do you mean?

I'm sure I quoted the second post by of course saying yes (I mean it's like he couldn't understand that someone would think that way even tough I clearly said more than once that jr is worthy and in a sense deserving as Paper Mario is worthy and deserving in another sense).

Can people just understand that every character has different reasons to be worthy? Because I don't think it was understood while it's just common sense honestly.

Seriously tough, what "debate"? Did I said something I shouldn't?

~Krystal~

True American Heroine
You know, we argue all the time about how Sakurai can make anything playable. But... seriously, I do not think he would make a random dark pit playable. It is not a character, it is a stage hazard, and I can assure you that if Villager seemed too far stretched in Brawl's days, we havnt seen anything as inventive as making a Pitfall pit come to life!
It would also be a pretty poor choice for a third party addition.

You've just reminded me of that completely necessary Pitfall Harry support thread I've been meaning to create. Let's be honest, this is the man who revolutionized platforming. Bringing him in as our next third party would be time and money well spent. The hype he would generate would be staggering.

Masonomace

NNID
Masonomace
The number of users viewing the thread died down. Damn now I don't have a crowd to post my discussion about Sceptile.:c
New Sceptile fan-term: Scepstylists
But I do want to make a post remark about Sceptile's favors of getting a shoe-in, I just feel the discussion is content. I do wanna have some kind of justice for this meaningless post so here's the most recent thing I posted about Sceptile compared to Purin & Mewtwo, being familiar to some:

Everyone who just escapes to the trifecta counter argument against Sceptile maybe forgot that:
1. Type Trio Triffecta TTT, hasn't technically been implemented as playable until Brawl on a gimmick character :pt:, but Gen.1 made the heavy emphasis on it with Charizard, Venusaur, & Blastoise since Smash64 all the way through Brawl as playable characters in their evolutionary line. That's old, JUST as old as the legendary O12.
2. Generation 1 is still the beginning & reason Pokemon is so huge, but IF Jigglypuff & Mewtwo return, why is Generation 1 still having over 4+ playable characters representing themselves in Sm4sh? We've overall throughout time had 6+ playable pokemon fighters for Gen. 1 come & go. We've had one Gen 2 rep :pichumelee: that failed to represent itself as a decent playable character hailing from its generation of Pokemon, as a joke. NO Gen 3 pokemon fighter. :4lucario: as the ONLY gen 4 pokemon fighter, NO Gen 5 rep, & :4greninja: as the only Gen rep? If you ask me an opinion I'd throw you a narrow-minded opinion on purpose saying, "There's 6 generations of pokemon & so far we only have 2 different ones that aren't Generation 1 pokemon in Sm4sh"

Giving my judgement on the 3 lets do this:
:jigglypuff: Been around since 64, proof::jigglypuff64:. Points I haven't seen made for Purin I'll address here to give justice to Purin fans. Sakurai's baby being Kirby, Sakurai felt Jiggly would play the same, making it easy to implement her in 64. Starting out as a semi-clone to Kirby in 64 was her first big step. Because of that one point, Sakurai felt it was easy & fun to keep including her in each Smash Bros. title. Melee was her biggest & most successful debut as any recognition of a proud character move-set, model, & play-style. Restivals were a thing, The most ridiculous move in the games, making Purin a funny mess-around & good character. She has good reasons to be in SSB4, with Fairy typing as a main discussion, however a re-vamped type makes little difference to promote into a smash character when compared to Mega Evolution in the next games. But because Sakurai likes her so much he would implement the extra effort to make Purin special & completely unique to separate from the entire process of clone features from her past. Shoutouts to those who bash the elemental type effectiveness trifecta of F/G/W calling it irrelevant in Smash but then pounce on Purin's new added Fairy type. Seriously?
:mewtwopm: Heh. . .Where do I even start with this. Anything I say won't be anything new so. I'll give minimal justice because too much justice would be a page long. :laugh: Mewtwo from Japan's predictions knew he'd make a huge hit over in the West from the First Pokemon Movie, & they were right on the spot. That's how it all began. His popularity of being the powerful strong type that actually spoke made his debut big here in the U.S.. His continued pushing of marketing to remain relevant throughout each Generation is sickening. No matter if he's from the Original 151 Gen. 1, he's still as popular as ever being ranked #2 most popular pokemon so it's no surprise. With the heavy demand of his fan-base & his relevancy, the thought of him being playable in SSB4 would make millions of fans satisfied & pleased to the max. But to be on topic of him being in a Smash Bros. fighting game, he NEEDS changes, he really needs a re-vamp. For a while he was mocked as the worst pokemon on the tier list, below Pichu! Time changed that making at least better on the tier list than Pichu but. . .only better than Pichu? A Baby Pokemon? By Pokemon Logic he should be the best Pokemon on that Tier List. But that's what separates the discussion. Smash Bros.. If we really want Mewtwo to return he needs something like his Project M game-play. I take Smash Bros. seriously & I'd really like Mewtwo returning with a better game-play than his Melee version.
For the love of green, grass, & reptile & dinosaur-like features, I would love nothing more than Sceptile let alone a grass type getting their own representation in Smash Bros.. Starting off strong on this to say that Sceptile has almost as much chance as Purin & Mewtwo. For what I love & what I believe in with my opinion, Sceptile needs to represent himself in the new Smash Bros., & there's more reasons than just this,
People just want Sceptile to be in SSB4 so that the irrelevant type trio from Brawl returns.
First of all. . .no, just, no. It's not just about the type trio trifecta TTT, the type trio trifecta is just another pattern point to solidify his chances of getting in the game. Yes that Robin's healing / dealing Nosferatu being the first ever move of it's kind to be in SSB4 hurts Sceptile's chances because Sceptile wasn't the first, & that Mega-man's Leaf Shield also dents Sceptile's chances but they also both strengthen Sceptile's chances. For those who would be 100% serious about ignorantly arguing that Wood Man's weapon get from MegaMan 2 game first released in Japan, 1988, would help de-confirm Sceptile in the future Smash Bros. game, while also saying that Nosferatu also helps de-confirm Sceptile when that move was technically implemented in the FE games during Gaiden, in 1992?:facepalm: That's like saying :4mario: should de-confirm :4falcon: & :4charizard:.

Ivysaur made it possible, Venusaur implemented as a stage element in 64 & as another stage use in Poke Floats also being a pokeball summon, has made the idea of Grass types in Smash Bros., possible. Grass types, are possible. Robin & Mega-man technically help further prove, that a grass-type can make it in the game. When you have so much Fire, & not enough Water despite Pac-man's Hydrant move helping usage & decreasing the rarity of Water type moves. And Grass, a move barely representing by other elements used by different characters, you can't help but feel Sceptile or any Grass starter Pokemon, making a debut can you? /endgrassdebate.

Let's all keep in mind of this source.
Veterans MAY BE cut. This is a hard possibility that Purin, & Mewtwo won't make it & will be cut. Be reminded, that Super Smash Bros. 64 had 12 brand new playable characters now known as the O12. That's 12 newcomers, take a look at Melee's newcomers, there's 14 newcomers added to the Smash Bros. universe. Brawl had 18 brand-spanking fresh newcomers. Smash Brothers is getting MORE Newcomers than it is orignals returning to the fray. Melee's original cast making it to Brawl ended up with 5 cut characters, later found out after hacking the Brawl disc that there were intended characters that can be found here. The point is, Smash Bros. starting out small had the freedom to add more, but now the roster's size is getting bigger than we had hoped. Adding more newcomers there's bound to be cuts, Sakurai just may not have the time to bring back every, single character. With removing Mewtwo & Purin, it's quite possible though unlikely. When you see that many newcomers from Brawl & you see that SSB4 only has 13 newcomers right now? Think about it.

Last edited:

pupNapoleon

Smash Hero
NNID
NapoleonPlays
3DS FC
5129-1683-5306
Switch FC
SW 3124 9647 8311
It always dies down now; will be vibrant again in the morning.
Important to keep the discussion where it should be, on this pokemon.

Masonomace

NNID
Masonomace
It always dies down now; will be vibrant again in the morning.
Important to keep the discussion where it should be, on this pokemon.
Right on then, I've got extra points to make out about Sceptile's chances that I don't see made, so I'll continue that in the morning then. Seeya
*dips*

KageJuin

Smash Journeyman
3DS FC
1349-7001-8814
Sceptile has almost no chance of getting in.
I would rather bet on mewtwo's return

Masonomace

NNID
Masonomace
Are those people who aren't so sure called Sceptics?

Sceptile is one of my favourite starters and if he should(by some miracle) get in, he'll certainly be one of my favourite newcomers this time round. I just don't see it happening.
I've been pulled back in. I see the sceptile skeptical joke all the time because we mis-pronounce, a lot of pokemon names, but never have I ever been a Septic Sceptic. Now most of you should take a drink.

True Blue Warrior

Smash Hero
NNID
TrueBlueSM
3DS FC
2036-7619-4276
I'm feeling confident that a 3rd Gen Pokemon won't be part of the initial roster, though I do think DLC is plausible.

I do agree with the fact that they are two different characters, I understand that Dark Pit has stuff to pull from.

While it's Sakurai's call, I personally think it's a horrible newcomer choice. A horrific combination of not being requested and having little to no impact on his respective series (Medusa and Hades have a bigger impact on the series) or Nintendo, I think it'd be plain crazy to add him. He has little demand, and the only reason he has been brought up repetitively is because of Palutena's trailer. No one would have ANY intention of bringing him up if it wasn't for that.

I honestly just wish Sakurai can make a bold point that he is or is not playable. For Christ's sake, this isn't a character discussion thread anymore, it's Dark Pit Central.
Dark PitBoards- Home of the Dark Pit Speculation Community

I'd like to point out that Palutena's reflect attack pushes characters like Isaac's AT attack did. Might raise his chances a tiny bit. Might not.
Interesting theory.

Doompatron3000

Smash Journeyman
You know what I find funny? During the time before Brawl, and even after it came out, lots of people were screaming for more female fighters.
Well, we got it, so if we do the same, does that mean Sma5h will have a ton of villains? :awesome:

Masonomace

NNID
Masonomace
You know what I find funny? During the time before Brawl, and even after it came out, lots of people were screaming for more female fighters.
Well, we got it, so if we do the same, does that mean Sma5h will have a ton of villains? :awesome:
Hmmm. . .there is technically 10+female fighters correct?
:4lucina::4mii:??Female Mii Fighters = all 3 slots?? :4palutena::4peach::4robinf::rosalina::4samus::4sheik::4wiifit::4zelda::4zss:

Villains in Sm4sh atm: :4bowser:. . .Villains in need of demand to be confirmed right now. I'll definitely shout for villains.:shades:
I don't consider :4dedede: a villain, he's more neutral to me, but I don't play Kirby so I'm probably wrong & I'm okay with that.

Leafeon523

Smash Ace
NNID
Leafeon523
3DS FC
2466-1607-7000
What do you guys think about the possibility of Galacta knight being added as a Meta Knight clone?

Masonomace

NNID
Masonomace
What do you guys think about the possibility of Galacta knight being added as a Meta Knight clone?
Hmmm. . .considering I've seen this texture too many times, & that means it hints strongly to what Kirby fans would like to see when you put a texture over an existing character. I'd assume he's a great addition. Though I wouldn't consider him full-blown clone, he has a lance, the idea behind his weapon is stabbing forward in thrusts, or quick slide blunt attacks, technically separating his way of sword-fighting apart from any other Slash-fighter. He won't be the first to use stabbing / thrusting jousts-like attacks because we know Link's rapid jab, & Marth's altered Shield Breaker from Brawl is returning to Sm4sh. So overall I approve his inclusion. I am also not a Kirby gaming fan & know very little so you may attack my opinion & justify me.

KurowaSan

Smash Rookie
I know it's nothing to be alarmed by, but Corocoro started leaking earlier this morning. So far, only a little scan regarding the 2015 summer Pokémon movie.
When Smash stuff starts leaking, maybe we'll get some little unimportant news to discuss.

BluePikmin11

Akko is my dear daughter!
NNID
blue
What doesn't help Dark Pit's chances is, again, the fact that his design is literally Pit's black "Fallen Angel" palette swap from Brawl; there is no uniqueness in his design whatsoever. While he wouldn't have a cloned moveset, potentially having a very unique one, he would be a horrible newcomer choice, indicative of over-representation (because it's well-known that Kid Icarus is one of Sakurai's babies). Keep in mind that Shadow the Hedgehog and Dark Samus, two other dark versions of characters, would have had unique movesets if they were playable as well, but that didn't help their chances. On top of that, Dark Pit has very little (if any) demand, even in comparison to the aforementioned dark characters; before his brief appearance in Palutena's introduction video, he was probably only an afterthought in a few (if any) SSB4 discussions.
As long is there something a character can use (one or more of the weapons I suggested) to function differently a character can be in the roster as Sakurai has stated, so really it makes your similarity points null. And there is a franchise whom can be considered overrepresented (FE), yet Lucina was added as the filler popular clone and the 4th representative of FE. I don't really think overrepresentation is a true problem here.
And actually, he's pretty popular in Japan, even more popular than Hades and Medusa, and even Palutena:

You guys gotta quit underestimating his popularity.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom