• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Character Discussion Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

Xenorange

Smash Lord
There's no way Sceptile will be playable, from the get-go at least.

OR/AS were started as late as 2013, so we can already tell that Sceptile wasn't considered for the game initially, and the only way I see him being included is if the DLC the once great giant of Gematsu promised us is a reality.

To be honest, as much as it pains me to say this, I really don't think Mewtwo is going to be playable in the initial roster either.
I doubt both of these things, unless it's announced that Gamfreak completely pulled the idea of ORAS out of their asses one day and that it wasn't planned at all. As for Mewtwo, he never should have been cut in the first place and I think Sakurai believes this too.

D

Deleted member

The inclusion of the item, Daybreak, from Kid Icarus Uprsing. Clearly, Dark Pit was confirmed for some arbitrary reason. :troll:

It was a bad joke.
I'm starting to get concerned. I'm not able to tell anymore when you're being serious vs. joking....

FalcoPaunch!121

Smash Apprentice
3DS FC
5386-9681-7388
I would love to see Sceptile in Smash, but at this point he might just be DLC.
Sceptile would complete the grass, water fire circle. Jiggles was hated on, so i see getting mewtwo and Sceptile. Or Grovlye could represent mystery dungeon.

TumblrFamous

Smash Hero
Switch FC
SW-8429-6803-3691
Sceptile would complete the grass, water fire circle. Jiggles was hated on, so i see getting mewtwo and Sceptile. Or Grovlye could represent mystery dungeon.
The Grass/Fire/Water trio is a pretty dumb reason to include a character. Blaziken has Sceptile beat as a Hoenn rep, in my opinion. And I supremely doubt we'll see him. And what is this about Jiggz being hated on?

Also, guys, good news. Today marks the one-year anniversary when Luigi was confirmed for the game. The Year of Luigi lives on.

Icedragonadam

Smash Master
Switch FC
SW-5227-6397-6112
The Grass/Fire/Water trio is a pretty dumb reason to include a character. Blaziken has Sceptile beat as a Hoenn rep, in my opinion. And I supremely doubt we'll see him. And what is this about Jiggz being hated on?

Also, guys, good news. Today marks the one-year anniversary when Luigi was confirmed for the game. The Year of Luigi lives on.
Luigi's deathstare eyes confirmed for PotD tonight?

FalcoPaunch!121

Smash Apprentice
3DS FC
5386-9681-7388

Sakurai does stuff like that. and Jiggleypuff was bottem tier, so Im just saying that it could be DLC.

Fire Emblemier

The Crests are to Blame
Switch FC
SW-2862-0450-4332
Sakurai does stuff like that. and Jiggleypuff was bottem tier, so Im just saying that it could be DLC.
Jigglypuff was top tier in melee. Characters get nerfed all the time and Jiggs was in all the smash games so far. The chances of her being cut is extremely unlikely. She is also one of the easiest characters to develop, stated by Sakurai himself.

Last edited:

TumblrFamous

Smash Hero
Switch FC
SW-8429-6803-3691
Zelda and Captain Falcon deconfirmed.... oh wait.

And what do you mean Sakurai does stuff like that? Can you give me evidence to something parallel to adding Sceptile for the sake of the type trio?

Fire Emblemier

The Crests are to Blame
Switch FC
SW-2862-0450-4332
Zelda and Captain Falcon deconfirmed.... oh wait.

And what do you mean Sakurai does stuff like that? Can you give me evidence to something parallel to adding Sceptile for the sake of the type trio?
You should probably mention Pokemon Trainer can not be used, as that is a common argument with sceptile.

Last edited:

shrooby

Let me know when I'm supposed to laugh, okay?
BRoomer
NNID
shrooby
3DS FC
2320-6364-8294
Jigglypuff is also top tier Mehly.
Why is Brawl's tier list the only relevant one here, huh? And don't you throw any recency jargon at me.

Not that any of this actually matters in the slightest.

TumblrFamous

Smash Hero
Switch FC
SW-8429-6803-3691
You should probably mention Pokemon Trainer can not be used, as that is a common argument with sceptile.
I would have (I was going to), but it seemed pretty obvious. I mean, those are the three iconic starters from the first game. To say they were only picked for the water/fire/grass trio is ludicrous.

Derekburn

Smash Apprentice
If the pic of the day tomorrow is not a new character then I will have to kill Sakurai for his terrible pic of the days lately.

CodeBlue_

Smash Journeyman
Switch FC
SW-2347-7011-5339
I actually think we could get a character reveal tomorrow. We have gotten information about 3DS game modes on Fridays for the past two weeks up until this week, where we get it on Thursday. I think he's saving something for us. :)

TumblrFamous

Smash Hero
Switch FC
SW-8429-6803-3691
If the pic of the day tomorrow is not a new character then I will have to kill Sakurai for his terrible pic of the days lately.
Last Week: AT, two stages, item, and a new mode.
This Week: AT, new mode for trophies, new item, and info on Pokemon.

I want a character too, but you can't say that they've been terrible.

Spazzy_D

Smash Hero
NNID
Spazzy_D
3DS FC
1590-4700-7117
If one of Palutena's side specials is basically move, does that help or hurt Isaac? (Just put this in the Isaac thread, too)

aldelaro5

Paper Mario P
Canada, Quebec (or Rogeuport if you want)
NNID
aldelaro5
3DS FC
3050-7721-6617
I mean, don't get me wrong--I totally think your roster is plausible, and do mostly agree with it. Everyone's entitled to an opinion, I totally respect yours, your reasoning is great. And I'd be 98% content if it were the final pick (the exception is Snake would be gone). As a side note, I never played Xenogears, and don't really know anything about Shulk. I did want to give it a shot, but it costs more than the Wii you play it on!

I thought the Miis would have three slots because on the website they go out of their way to talk about how each one is very unique from the other, and each has their own 12 special moves and standard moves. The main point is that Sakurai counts them as three separate characters, so in a roster it makes sense to also count them as three. The number of slots they take up on the CSS isn't important I guess.

There's a couple of things I'm confused on. I think you said there will be no Brawl veteran cuts, and a that priority list doesn't matter, but Snake is cut on your prediction roster. If Snake is cut, why can't another character be? Even though he's third party, it's still a veteran cut. And if being third party matters as a reason to be cut, then that places him at the bottom of a priority list for being third party. Separately, at the beginning of your post you said Paper Mario was locked, but further down you said he was unlocked. Which is it?

You seem dead-set in the idea that teased characters will be placed in the roster, and I won't try to change your mind. So that said I'll frame things from that point of view.

I really, really don't think Mewtwo was teased in the Greninja trailer. It was more like a, who's that character over there, taadaaaa kind of moment. Greninja was in a shadow because he's a ninja. What better way to do a reveal for a ninja than him throwing a shuriken from the shadows in a tree? Which totally would not apply to Mewtwo, or basically any other pokemon.

And, Wolf has not been teased at all. Falco was teased in the Corneria stage reveal by there being only two arwings or whatever they're called. We know there's four on the team, so if we only see two, then we can be teased that Falco is a fighter. For Wolf to be teased you'd have to show only three enemy arwings, or do the tease somewhere else somehow, which hasn't happened.

KKR also hasn't been teased. The only hint is that Kremlings are in the Kirby's Air Ride mode, which I don't think is a tease for KKR as a playable character. Why not a tease for a boss character, since Kremlings are enemies? A Rhythym Heaven character enemy is also there, so Chorus Boys or whoever else would be just as plausible, or more plausible, since Kremlings are from an already represented franchise and the ghost dude is not.

The boss character thing goes for Ridley, too. Why is he necessarily teased as a playable character instead of a boss character, which he is actually more teased to be? I would LOVE him to be playable, but he could be teased as a boss and not a playable character. If the fifth person could use the gamepad to control the boss characters in stages, that would be rad and he would technically be playable. It's just as much a possibility, so I wouldn't say he's locked per se.

So, there it is. I like your roster, but I don't think it's as locked as you say. I totally respect your stuff though, no troll.
On cuts, I said I assume none UNLESS I have a reasons to say that a cut is more likely. Snake is because of the words that Kojima used. I just think it really doesn't sound promising which found doubtful since we know how a third party should be harder to add on the roster even if he was there before. You still need to have discussion and maybe negotiation even if there should be less because of brawl. On that note, him being revealed after release would REALLY surprise me even if it CAN happen. If it does, then I was completely wrong.

I don't think you understood correctly. I said that all 5 are locked until [deconfirmed] EXCEPT Paper Mario which is until I have evidences that my tease theory on him is broken or heavily questioned. For example, If he reveals an assist from the series, that's going to hurt my theory because you shouldn't talk under teasing about it. Assist is enough to make it doubt because from a series who was only trophies, getting more than before would just helps him even more than just one stage which is what he should NOT reveal since it needs to be hidden if it was the truth. The reason for having a slight loose on him is that I saw a lot of skeptical on him which means that this prediction is more risky. It's not something that is "common" to predict, but I'm confident enough to lock him until I can't trust this theory. Of course, it's true for [deconfirmed] too. If I still trust this theory, which is still a yes as of now, he's locked.

I understands your skepticism towards teasing. I was too except for Ridley and Pseudo Palutena, but all other teases wasn't considered enough by me to expect them that much. The one thing that made me realize that they matter so much was being directly involved with one of them. I tend to analyse things a lot and living it helped me a lot to grasp them more accurately. That's why I have that much confidence.

KKR not being teased is actually the reasons I'm so unsure. As much popularity he has, I found weird for him to not being teased, but then again, no DK stage so far. I don't know exactly what it means tough.

Veterans not being teased shouldn't be that much of an issues considering that from the start, they have good chances of appearing in brawl.

The Greninja trailer is the tease I'm the most unsure, but I think it holds meaning because of the other 2 things I said ("We're thinking about it" is a good proof of consistency). Just this tease wouldn't be enough honestly.

I as well don't think that Ridley being teased as boss would make any sense, but my explanation is annoying to elaborate. It has to do with Sakurai's consistency.

Gune

Smash Lord
I actually think we could get a character reveal tomorrow. We have gotten information about 3DS game modes on Fridays for the past two weeks up until this week, where we get it on Thursday. I think he's saving something for us. :)
Kinda doubt a charecter reveal at this point, it could possibly be more info on certain charecters or maybe more alt costume info or something of that calibur.

Rockaphin

Smash Champion
NNID
Rockaphin
3DS FC
2595-0113-8473
If one of Palutena's side specials is basically move, does that help or hurt Isaac? (Just put this in the Isaac thread, too)

If Palutena can have all these custom moves, Mario should've at least had the Ice Flower or Tanooki Suit. He has so many power-ups yet, his custom moves are rather unappealing and lack creativity. F.L.U.D.D. could've changed nozzles like in Super Mario Sunshine.

Last edited:

Spazzy_D

Smash Hero
NNID
Spazzy_D
3DS FC
1590-4700-7117
If Palutena can have all these custom moves, Mario should've at least had the Ice Flower or Tanooki Suit. He has so many power-ups yet, his custom moves are rather unappealing.
Megaman, whose entire gimmick is using a bunch of different weapons, really should have been the character to have this gimmick.

Last edited:

~Krystal~

True American Heroine
Box art Mega Man, where are you? *directs gaze to the sky*

I still have hope you'll be an unlockable.

CodeBlue_

Smash Journeyman
Switch FC
SW-2347-7011-5339
If Palutena can have all these custom moves, Mario should've at least had the Ice Flower or Tanooki Suit. He has so many power-ups yet, his custom moves are rather unappealing and lack creativity. F.L.U.D.D. could've changed nozzles like in Super Mario Sunshine.
I understand Smashboards is the epicenter for creativity and raised expectations for when it comes to character speculation, but can you at least recognize that Sakurai may not know that these moves are important as the moves he already has (except FLUDD, but I think Sakurai likes his push effect he added in Brawl)?

Keep in mind that Sakurai does not necessarily have to play the games of the series he implements and may only learn material for his trophies from research. Sakurai is aware of the mechanics in the series he made, the Powers that Palutena gets, because he made the game and created the concept.

I personally think the variation to Mario's moveset in this fashion is really nice and is something I have been interested in since before E3 2013. His moveset was fine as it was and this variation is a nice bonus. No need to complain because you had unreasonable expectations.

And let's be real here, are the power-ups that Sakurai hasn't implemented as items already REALLY that crucial to the series?

EDIT: Ok has this thread really turned into complain about Palutena getting the most unique custom movesets? This is the character from HIS series that he is the most experienced with. Why would he not implement a concept that he is most familiar with?

@ Spazzy_D Spazzy_D Mega Man already HAS variablity in his entire moveset, why would he need more from custom moves. Actually, we don't even know what his custom moves ARE yet, so how can we even know for sure?

Last edited:

Niala

Smash Ace
Megaman, who's entire gimmick is using a bunch of different weapons, really should have been the character to have this gimmick.
That's a silly argument. The majority of video game characters have gimmicks based on changing their weapons. Mario can transform with Fire/Ice Flowers, various kinds of Mushrooms, and other things like the cloud and drill in Super Mario Galaxy 2. Samus has dozens of upgrades from the Prime series alone. Kirby's gimmick is eating enemies and using their moves-- now while he does that in Smash, he uses very few moves from his own series given the wealth to choose from. The list goes on.

You can't act like Megaman is the only character who has a pool of possible moves to choose from, especially given his base moveset is decidedly more inspired than most characters.

NickerBocker

Smash Lord
3DS FC
2492-4251-5054
Theres probably going to be more characters that have multiple custom moves, like Palutena. Megaman comes to mind, so does Mario/Luigi, Link/TL, Fox, Kirby, etc.

Spazzy_D

Smash Hero
NNID
Spazzy_D
3DS FC
1590-4700-7117
The majority of Megaman's moves are from two out of ten games. I think he could use some more custom specials.

Rockaphin

Smash Champion
NNID
Rockaphin
3DS FC
2595-0113-8473
No need to complain because you had unreasonable expectations.
Mario having an Ice ball or the Tanooki Suit is "unreasonable?" Excuse me for recognizing his other potential power-ups that could easily be implemented into Smash.

And let's be real here, are the power-ups that Sakurai hasn't implemented as items already REALLY that crucial to the series?
Some power-ups are becoming a series stable and are iconic. Is F.L.U.D.D REALLY that crucial? Is the Cape REALLY that crucial? A character with so many power-ups, customization seems like a prefect way to implement them.

EDIT: Ok has this thread really turned into complain about Palutena getting the most unique custom movesets? This is the character from HIS series that he is the most experienced with. Why would he not implement a concept that he is most familiar with?
As recognizable as Mario is, I doubt he'd have to do much "research" to see what is popular and iconic to Mario's arsenal of power-ups. I agree, he would be most familiar with the characters he created, however, this isn't Super Kirby Icarus Bros.

Blue Ninjakoopa

Smash Journeyman
NNID
BlueNinjakoopa
3DS FC
3265-5187-8163
As long is there something a character can use (one or more of the weapons I suggested) to function differently a character can be in the roster as Sakurai has stated, so really it makes your similarity points null. And there is a franchise whom can be considered overrepresented (FE), yet Lucina was added as the filler popular clone and the 4th representative of FE. I don't really think overrepresentation is a true problem here.
And actually, he's pretty popular in Japan, even more popular than Hades and Medusa, and even Palutena:

You guys gotta quit underestimating his popularity.
You're the first person arguing for Dark Pit's inclusion to not give a reason that's basically "I think he'd be cool lol." So now, that kind of puts Dark Pit above Sceptile as a prospective SSB4 candidate.

Blue Ninjakoopa

Smash Journeyman
NNID
BlueNinjakoopa
3DS FC
3265-5187-8163
Given Palutena's unique special moves, I have a question: would any of the Dark Pit fans be upset if Sakurai implemented custom movesets for Pit to make him use the weapons from Dark Pit's arsenal? Or would that be sufficient?

I think that scenario is more likely than Dark Pit being a playable character, honestly.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom