• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Character Discussion Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

Staarih

Smash Master
You know what I find funny? During the time before Brawl, and even after it came out, lots of people were screaming for more female fighters.
Well, we got it, so if we do the same, does that mean Sma5h will have a ton of villains? :awesome:
Maybe Sakurai will go after genderless characters next. Or gender indeterminate ones Birdo :troll:

Joe D.

Smash Ace
NNID
NeroSnare
3DS FC
2552-1665-5337
There's no way Sceptile will be playable, from the get-go at least.

OR/AS were started as late as 2013, so we can already tell that Sceptile wasn't considered for the game initially, and the only way I see him being included is if the DLC the once great giant of Gematsu promised us is a reality.

To be honest, as much as it pains me to say this, I really don't think Mewtwo is going to be playable in the initial roster either.

BluePikmin11

Akko is my dear daughter!
NNID
blue

OR/AS were started as late as 2013, so we can already tell that Sceptile wasn't considered for the game initially, and the only way I see him being included is if the DLC the once great giant of Gematsu promised us is a reality.

To be honest, as much as it pains me to say this, I really don't think Mewtwo is going to be playable in the initial roster either.
So Sakurai doesn't want the game to sell by not adding Mewtwo as a relevant and popular character?

Joe D.

Smash Ace
NNID
NeroSnare
3DS FC
2552-1665-5337
So Sakurai doesn't want the game to sell by not adding Mewtwo as a relevant and popular character?
It's not that, at all actually.

I said that because he probably wasn't considered at the time.

I know Mewtwo has been incredibly popular in all of his years of existence, but the key thing to remember is that his popularity only became so extreme after we saw his mega, in 2013. That's why I think he'd be DLC, if it's actually true. Maybe he missed his chance in the initial roster, and the option of DLC is what will bring him back, and maybe what Sakurai was considering.

Fire Emblemier

The Crests are to Blame
Switch FC
SW-2862-0450-4332
As long is there something a character can use (one or more of the weapons I suggested) to function differently a character can be in the roster as Sakurai has stated, so really it makes your similarity points null. And there is a franchise whom can be considered overrepresented (FE), yet Lucina was added as the filler popular clone and the 4th representative of FE. I don't really think overrepresentation is a true problem here.
And actually, he's pretty popular in Japan, even more popular than Hades and Medusa, and even Palutena:

You guys gotta quit underestimating his popularity.
Ike in the top ten, above Marth, that's awesome. A shame Chrom is above him by 2 places....

Anyways, I noticed the term shoe-in used as a term for Sceptile's chances in smash before. No character especially a newcomer can be considered a shoe-in in my eyes. The only ones that fits the bill are the original 12, but even then people will argue Jigglypuff's chances.

Edit: 1,700th post, woo!

Last edited:

ElPanandero

Smash Lord
NNID
ElPanandero

I know Mewtwo has been incredibly popular in all of his years of existence, but the key thing to remember is that his popularity only became so extreme after we saw his mega, in 2013. That's why I think he'd be DLC, if it's actually true. Maybe he missed his chance in the initial roster, and the option of DLC is what will bring him back, and maybe what Sakurai was considering.
I understand that the game was developed in 2013, but If Nintendo and the dudes over at pokemon knew Sakurai was over there making rosters, they'd be like "Yo Sakurai, we're gonna be making a gen 3 reboot and giving mewtwo a mega so heads up" As long as the games were at least planned (And I assume Pokémon has a very rigid schedule for when these games start development and they know way ahead of time when they're gonna make the reboots and new games) so I have no doubt that Sakurai knew coming in that Gen 3 would get a reboot very soon (Sceptile) and that Mewtwo would be brought back as an important part of the seires.

That being said, I don't think sceptile is likely and mewtwo is iffy, but not for a lack of awareness on Sakurai's part.

EDIT: Also, if they do bring back mewtwo, I think they'll give him full dev time and actually give him at least two unique good specials. Maybe 3 depending on which direction they go with shadow ball, but they had best drop Mario's cape reflect and jigglypuff's sing disable in favor of anything else.

Last edited:

Gold_Jacobson

Smash Journeyman

I'm not calling you a liar, but do you have a source that the remakes were started 2013?

Last edited:

Doompatron3000

Smash Journeyman

Unless if Sakurai has given up on trying to get him in, I think Mewtwo will make it as playable this time. Remember he was planned for Smash 64 and Brawl, he was playable in Melee, so in my opinion, that makes him as much of a staple as the real playable characters in Smash 64 even if he was eventually scrapped twice due to time constraints.

Fire Emblemier

The Crests are to Blame
Switch FC
SW-2862-0450-4332
Unless if Sakurai has given up on trying to get him in, I think Mewtwo will make it as playable this time. Remember he was planned for Smash 64 and Brawl, he was playable in Melee, so in my opinion, that makes him as much of a staple as the real playable characters in Smash 64 even if he was eventually scrapped twice due to time constraints.
Inb4, people start making a pattern where he makes it in Smash 4, but cut due to time constraints in Smash 5.

GunGunW

Smash Lord
NNID
GunGunW
As long is there something a character can use (one or more of the weapons I suggested) to function differently a character can be in the roster as Sakurai has stated, so really it makes your similarity points null. And there is a franchise whom can be considered overrepresented (FE), yet Lucina was added as the filler popular clone and the 4th representative of FE. I don't really think overrepresentation is a true problem here.
And actually, he's pretty popular in Japan, even more popular than Hades and Medusa, and even Palutena:

You guys gotta quit underestimating his popularity.
I don't underestimate his popularity, I just find it disturbing that Pit somehow ranks above Mario in popularity? Also, Waluigi is higher than Dark Pit, and that didn't help his chances.

there's got to be a catch to that magazine... there's just no way.

Last edited:

Leafeon523

Smash Ace
NNID
Leafeon523
3DS FC
2466-1607-7000
I don't underestimate his popularity, I just find it disturbing that Pit somehow ranks above Mario in popularity?

I'm guessing this issue was published shortly after the release of KIU. Just a hunch though.

Scoliosis Jones

Kept you waiting, huh?
Writing Team
NNID
ScoliosisxJones
3DS FC
1762-3194-1826
To say Sceptile is a "shoe-in" character is simply foolish. He's not even close to a guarantee, and I wouldn't even mind him being in the game.

The only character I would give the title of "shoe-in" would've been Palutena. Everybody else was pretty much up in the air in my opinion.

Is anybody else ready for the roster to get leaked? I sure am.

Wazygoose

Smash Journeyman
NNID
AppleJackSix
I guess I wasn't clear what I call a lock.

Paper Mario, Ridley, Mewtwo, Ghirahim and dark pit are "locked" on my roster. This means that I'm VERY entitled to my opinion of keeping them because I have enough evidences to believe their tease. They will not be removed until [deconfirmed], but Paper Mario may be unlock under only one condition and that is receiving info that would break or heavily question my tease theory. I have to remind you that his spot relies only on this that's why. I don't really expect the others to have their tease break so it's locked until [deconfirmed].

I was already clear on no cuts. You can speculate a priority list, but that still doesn't tell me if the bottom will be cut since it could have to do with external reasons (dev issues or time constraints). Also, that's assuming the priority list which would be too annoying for me to speculate on.

The thing about teases is that I noticed a pattern concerning the reaction. The people who would care the most would be the first to consider the possibility while the one who don't care that much will imply something that contradicts the tease and so, deny it. The fact that supporters were the first to consider it on Mewtwo doesn't tell me anything and it might even suggest that there was a tease. In other words, if it was a tease, that's expected to happens.

If amount of rep doesn't matter that much, amount of clone shouldn't too. It matters even less considering that they are easy to make especially for veterans since you have a base idea. That and my no cut view. He COULD be cut, but I don't have a particular reason.

I'm pretty sure Shulk is at least second party, but I don't think he's a third party so snake has nothing to do with his chances. Btw, uniqueness not only is subjective, but it only explains why it's WORTH not why he WOULD be in. I can implement a hundreds different movesets for Paper Mario and it doesn't tell me if he would be in, but it does tell me the motive behind such an addition. Anyway, I already said I'm unsure on him as it just me feeling that he would get in and so, he's unlocked. So it might change.

I'm unsure on KKR, but I don't see him as a stretch.

Ridley is probably the most locked spot on my roster. I speculated HEAVILY on his case to tell you that I'm VERY confident he'll be in. It's been months, not having a theory suggesting not playable that is still consistent is worth mentioning. It's far from a stretch and even if you don't consider my tease logic here, it's a perfect 50/50 due to how I can prove that the direct wasn't in any way clear. 50/50 isn't a stretch.

I just want to point my opinion on mii as I don't see anyone mentioned it.

In the 3ds trailer, you can see a sort of multi man melee/brawl mode when you fight against mii. This is very important because for me, there aren't just a slot, but also had to be optimized for such a mode. One slot, multiple purposes so you save dev time to do something like in melee or brawl, original enemies. That's why I think they have only one slot, but I think it was mentioned in E3 anyway.

I just don't think snake will return. From what I heard, it doesn't really sounds promising so I see more a cut than not cut. Could be wrong, but that's what I think.

To be honest, I expected at least one person to disagree with Paper Mario. I saw a lot of skepticism for such a theory and that may be due to not much people are interested to see him playable. Which is understandable, but if it's true, it worked very well.
I mean, don't get me wrong--I totally think your roster is plausible, and do mostly agree with it. Everyone's entitled to an opinion, I totally respect yours, your reasoning is great. And I'd be 98% content if it were the final pick (the exception is Snake would be gone). As a side note, I never played Xenogears, and don't really know anything about Shulk. I did want to give it a shot, but it costs more than the Wii you play it on!

I thought the Miis would have three slots because on the website they go out of their way to talk about how each one is very unique from the other, and each has their own 12 special moves and standard moves. The main point is that Sakurai counts them as three separate characters, so in a roster it makes sense to also count them as three. The number of slots they take up on the CSS isn't important I guess.

There's a couple of things I'm confused on. I think you said there will be no Brawl veteran cuts, and a that priority list doesn't matter, but Snake is cut on your prediction roster. If Snake is cut, why can't another character be? Even though he's third party, it's still a veteran cut. And if being third party matters as a reason to be cut, then that places him at the bottom of a priority list for being third party. Separately, at the beginning of your post you said Paper Mario was locked, but further down you said he was unlocked. Which is it?

You seem dead-set in the idea that teased characters will be placed in the roster, and I won't try to change your mind. So that said I'll frame things from that point of view.

I really, really don't think Mewtwo was teased in the Greninja trailer. It was more like a, who's that character over there, taadaaaa kind of moment. Greninja was in a shadow because he's a ninja. What better way to do a reveal for a ninja than him throwing a shuriken from the shadows in a tree? Which totally would not apply to Mewtwo, or basically any other pokemon.

And, Wolf has not been teased at all. Falco was teased in the Corneria stage reveal by there being only two arwings or whatever they're called. We know there's four on the team, so if we only see two, then we can be teased that Falco is a fighter. For Wolf to be teased you'd have to show only three enemy arwings, or do the tease somewhere else somehow, which hasn't happened.

KKR also hasn't been teased. The only hint is that Kremlings are in the Kirby's Air Ride mode, which I don't think is a tease for KKR as a playable character. Why not a tease for a boss character, since Kremlings are enemies? A Rhythym Heaven character enemy is also there, so Chorus Boys or whoever else would be just as plausible, or more plausible, since Kremlings are from an already represented franchise and the ghost dude is not.

The boss character thing goes for Ridley, too. Why is he necessarily teased as a playable character instead of a boss character, which he is actually more teased to be? I would LOVE him to be playable, but he could be teased as a boss and not a playable character. If the fifth person could use the gamepad to control the boss characters in stages, that would be rad and he would technically be playable. It's just as much a possibility, so I wouldn't say he's locked per se.

So, there it is. I like your roster, but I don't think it's as locked as you say. I totally respect your stuff though, no troll.

Fire Emblemier

The Crests are to Blame
Switch FC
SW-2862-0450-4332
So how's about that Snake?
One of the most, if not the most inventive character in Brawl. Sadly, though as much as I love him, his chances get lower by every month.... I'm already 90% content with the roster so far, and the only way to make it a full 100% would be Snake and Lucas to be revealed, anything else is a complementary bonus in my eyes.

Last edited:

Scoliosis Jones

Kept you waiting, huh?
Writing Team
NNID
ScoliosisxJones
3DS FC
1762-3194-1826
While I've been running the "@Snake4Smash4" twitter account, I got a link to a thread on Reddit yesterday. Apparently, Iwata was fine with Snake being in the game, as he trusted Sakurai was making a good choice. It can be found in their "Iwata Asks" interview.

Comments are made that it seems like Sonic and Snake had "always been there" and what have you.

That interview alone basically killed any opinionated argument against Snake. He doesn't fit? Sakurai and Iwata thought the opposite. Not Nintendo enough? Sakurai and Iwata thought the opposite. (Although originally Iwata wasn't sure, but he trusted Sakurai, and was pleased with the end result).

I don't see any plausible reason for Snake to not be in the game, because Sakurai doesn't care for console war bullcrap, nor did he care about MGS IV content in Brawl.

The only way I could see Snake not getting in at this point is if the original deal was a one time thing. That would seem strange to me even in itself.

EDIT: Here's the interview http://iwataasks.nintendo.com/interviews/#/wii/ssbb/6/1

Last edited:

EmceeEspio

Not the Break Man
NNID
captainlucario
While I've been running the "@Snake4Smash4" twitter account, I got a link to a thread on Reddit yesterday. Apparently, Iwata was fine with Snake being in the game, as he trusted Sakurai was making a good choice. It can be found in their "Iwata Asks" interview.

Comments are made that it seems like Sonic and Snake had "always been there" and what have you.

That interview alone basically killed any opinionated argument against Snake. He doesn't fit? Sakurai and Iwata thought the opposite. Not Nintendo enough? Sakurai and Iwata thought the opposite. (Although originally Iwata wasn't sure, but he trusted Sakurai, and was pleased with the end result).

I don't see any plausible reason for Snake to not be in the game, because Sakurai doesn't care for console war bullcrap, nor did he care about MGS IV content in Brawl.

The only way I could see Snake not getting in at this point is if the original deal was a one time thing. That would seem strange to me even in itself.

EDIT: Here's the interview http://iwataasks.nintendo.com/interviews/#/wii/ssbb/6/1
Honestly, Snake has no more going against him now than he did then.

JaidynReiman

Smash Hero
NNID
JaidynReiman

Konami might've backed down on the deal. The fact that Snake hasn't been announced yet, frankly, I think means he's not back. But we'll see.

Croph

Hold Baroque Inside
NNID
IceCreamStar
3DS FC
3196-4596-5388
I don't underestimate his popularity, I just find it disturbing that Pit somehow ranks above Mario in popularity? Also, Waluigi is higher than Dark Pit, and that didn't help his chances.

Like other people said, it's probably because of Uprising's release that made Pit very popular for that particular poll (as well as spiking the popularity of other KI characters). It's the same case for FE Awakening as there's a few characters from the game on the poll.

That's the 2012 Nintendo Dream poll. Here's the 2013 one if you're curious:

You can see how there's less KI and FE characters.

Hmm, I wonder why Luigi's first...

Fire Emblemier

The Crests are to Blame
Switch FC
SW-2862-0450-4332
The only thing I see against Snake, is that he hasn't been revealed yet, and it would be strange to have a 3rd party character hidden till the game comes out. Yet, we still might have a character(s) shown this August and September.

Scoliosis Jones

Kept you waiting, huh?
Writing Team
NNID
ScoliosisxJones
3DS FC
1762-3194-1826
Konami might've backed down on the deal. The fact that Snake hasn't been announced yet, frankly, I think means he's not back. But we'll see.
True. But then the question becomes, why would Konami back out of free money?

Additionally, the more I think about it, the more it appears to make sense that Snake would be held back until after Pac-Man. When Sakurai posted that picture of Mario, Mega Man, Pac-Man, and Sonic, he said "Look at this line up!". Let's be honest, Snake wouldn't have fit in there at all. It was a great Pic of the Day, and Sakurai was basically milking that greatness for awhile.

Anyway, how does that relate to Snake? I think that was the plan the whole time. I think they might have planned to reveal those 3 first to get that hype train rolling, and then use the "Kept you waiting, huh?" line to bring Snake back. I think it'd be genius.

Fire Emblemier

The Crests are to Blame
Switch FC
SW-2862-0450-4332
Like other people said, it's probably because of Uprising's release that made Pit very popular for that particular poll (as well as spiking the popularity of other KI characters). It's the same case for FE Awakening as there's a few characters from the game on the poll.

That's the 2012 Nintendo Dream poll. Here's the 2013 one if you're curious:

You can see how there's less KI and FE characters.

Hmm, I wonder why Luigi's first...
Year of Luigi, maybe.

Anyways, Ike is number 17, which is actually my lucky number :awesome: And also above Chrome

Doompatron3000

Smash Journeyman

Additionally, the more I think about it, the more it appears to make sense that Snake would be held back until after Pac-Man. When Sakurai posted that picture of Mario, Mega Man, Pac-Man, and Sonic, he said "Look at this line up!". Let's be honest, Snake wouldn't have fit in there at all. It was a great Pic of the Day, and Sakurai was basically milking that greatness for awhile.

Anyway, how does that relate to Snake? I think that was the plan the whole time. I think they might have planned to reveal those 3 first to get that hype train rolling, and then use the "Kept you waiting, huh?" line to bring Snake back. I think it'd be genius.
He still could've had a Pic of the Day with Pac-Man, Mega Man, Sonic, and Snake, saying "Look at these four characters, they're all from other companies, but, they have a deep history on Nintendo"

The Light Music Club

Smash Master
NNID
_TLMC_
3DS FC
0576-6097-0725

I agree. I would be very surprised if Mewtwo and Snake don't appear in the next (most likely last) direct before Smash comes.

Rockaphin

Smash Champion
NNID
Rockaphin
3DS FC
2595-0113-8473

I agree, the results are a disgrace to the king of Nintendo!
:awesome:
That's probably because KI:U's characters rose to popularity recently.
Was this poll conducted a little after the release of Uprising? In that case, I think most of those characters will drop immensely after some time. That would also explain why Pit is number one.

Derekburn

Smash Apprentice
Warning Received
Who else wants characters in the daily pics? I wanna know more about the characters that we barely know anything about, like peach! The new boring updates can kiss my [Censor Dodge Redacted]!! BOOOO! Sakurai! your new updates are BOOORING!!

Last edited by a moderator:

Scoliosis Jones

Kept you waiting, huh?
Writing Team
NNID
ScoliosisxJones
3DS FC
1762-3194-1826
Guys, think of it this way. We're probably getting a general Direct this month, with a newcomer. Probably a veteran in there as well. Then, early September, we're probably getting a Smash 3DS specific Direct, which will likely yield one last launch trailer. Last newcomer, revealed characters in general.

Snake has until that last trailer I'd say. Even then, support him as DLC if he doesn't make it! :awesome:

NeonBurrito

Smash Ace
-jigglypuff + sceptile snip-
First things first, I apologize if using unique was a very good term for describing Jigglypuff. It was getting late, and I was incredibly tired. Considering Sceptile, I believe with that little extra bit of information, you have brought this topic into a new light. While I personally prefer and think that Mewtwo and Jigglypuff are better choices, you do bring a good argument for Sceptile.
I don't consider :4dedede: a villain, he's more neutral to me, but I don't play Kirby so I'm probably wrong & I'm okay with that.
King Dedede in the Kirby games is much more of an friendly rival at times then anything. Sometimes he fights Kirby, sometimes he steals his cake, and sometimes he helps him. His role usually changes with each game, and when they aren't fighting, Kirby does show some love for Dedede.

Toad is more popular than Ike, Peach, Ness, and Chrom. 2015 - Year of Toad confirmed??!? /s

Last edited:

Morbi

Scavenger
Who else wants characters in the daily pics? I wanna know more about the characters that we barely know anything about, like peach! The new boring updates can kiss my @$$!! BOOOO! Sakurai! your new updates are BOOORING!!
It has been awhile since we had a character reveal via the picture of the day, I believe the last was Ike, prior to e3. However, these new updates also great; for instance, on Tuesday, we have more evidence of Dark Pit's inclusion.

Was this poll conducted a little after the release of Uprising? In that case, I think most of those characters will drop immensely after some time. That would also explain why Pit is number one.
The results were just fine. Pit > Mario. My only regret is that Dark Pit was not number two.

I agree. I would be very surprised if Mewtwo and Snake don't appear in the next (most likely last) direct before Smash comes.
I would not.

Cobalsh

Smash Champion
3DS FC
2578-3430-9913

I'm pretty sure Sakurai outright said he was considered, and Japanese considering is much more meaningful than American considering. Not only that, he's extremely popular, still relevant, has a pre-existing moveset, and several, several more reasons to be included. I'd say he's a lock, but he's a secret character, and no, that's not my bull**** statement to explain why we haven't seen him yet; we most likely haven't seen him yet because he could be a game seller. Plus, X and Y has been in development longer than Smash 4, probably, so don't go throwing around bull**** accusations just because you can. Sorry if that came off harsh, but I'm tired of comments like these.

BluePikmin11

Akko is my dear daughter!
NNID
blue

Not immediately, but I think around May and June was when that articles as published.
He's still maintaining popularity today:
http://smashboards.com/threads/the-ssb4-poll-lounge-poll-results-for-500-mark.324324/
• Young Link 267
• Deoxys 267
• Dark Pit 266
• Black Knight 264
• Baby Mario & Luigi 261
About half as much as Lucina, still it's decent enough popularity.

Morbi

Scavenger
I'm pretty sure Sakurai outright said he was considered, and Japanese considering is much more meaningful than American considering. Not only that, he's extremely popular, still relevant, has a pre-existing moveset, and several, several more reasons to be included. I'd say he's a lock, but he's a secret character, and no, that's not my bull**** statement to explain why we haven't seen him yet; we most likely haven't seen him yet because he could be a game seller. Plus, X and Y has been in development longer than Smash 4, probably, so don't go throwing around bull**** accusations just because you can. Sorry if that came off harsh, but I'm tired of comments like these.
I feel the same way about Dark Pit, it is clear that Sakurai considered him (in the American way, however) as he was included in Palutena's e3 trailer cliff-hanger. Dark Pit is also extremely popular, still relevant, has a pre-existing move-set, and several, several more reasons to be included. I would assert that he is a lock, but he is a secret character, and yes, that is my bull**** statement to explain why we have yet to see him. So, if Mewtwo is a lock, so is Dark Pit. :shades:

Last edited:
D

Deleted member

for instance, on Tuesday, we have more evidence of Dark Pit's inclusion.
How, exactly? Not sure whether you're being serious at this point or going wild with a Dark Pit gimmick.

Last edited by a moderator:

Cobalsh

Smash Champion
3DS FC
2578-3430-9913
I feel the same way about Dark Pit, it is clear that Sakurai considered him (in the American way, however) as he was included in Palutena's e3 trailer cliff-hanger. Dark Pit is also extremely popular, still relevant, has a pre-existing move-set, and several, several more reasons to be included. I would assert that his a lock, but he is a secret character, and yes, that is my bull**** statement to explain why we have yet to see him. So, if Mewtwo is a lock, so is Dark Pit. :shades:
I love you, Morbid. With a burning, everlasting passion.

But this Dark Pit business has to stop.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom