• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Character Discussion Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

Johnknight1

Upward and Forward, Positive and Persistent
NNID
Johnknight1
3DS FC
3540-0575-1486
I'm so glad you guys aren't working on the game... We would honestly have the rumored Pokken Fighters...
Guys, gameplay.

All that matters is the gameplay of the game.

I've repeated myself with that point a thousand times, and no one listens.

15 years later in 64 I don't care that Jigglypuff is from the Pokémon franchise.

I care about Jigglypuff because it's a freaking awesomely designed character.

It's fun to fight as or against, and it's unlike any character in Smash.

Burruni

Smash Hero
Honestly, if/when we get a second sonic representative, I want it to be Dr.Ivo Robotnik in a small mech. A tech-heavy villain seems like someone who could really spice up the roster. Sonic the Fighters had it as the final boss, so it isn't exactly a brand new idea.

Moon Monkey

Smash Hero
NNID
Mr.MoonMonkey
Switch FC
SW-0550-3588-6412
Guys, gameplay.

All that matters is the gameplay of the game.

I've repeated myself with that point a thousand times, and no one listens.

15 years later in 64 I don't care that Jigglypuff is from the Pokémon franchise.

I care about Jigglypuff because it's a freaking awesomely designed character.

It's fun to fight as or against, and it's unlike any character in Smash.
This. So much.

I can't wait until the game comes out so all of these "theories" can end...

The Light Music Club

Smash Master
NNID
_TLMC_
3DS FC
0576-6097-0725
I take it you either have never heard of Mario and Sonic at the Olympic Games, or you're biased because you don't want it to happen like that.

And it's fame over history, nice try

I own all three of the Mario and Sonic games. And no it shouldn't happen like that. If history didn't matter, Ice Clmbers, Game and Watch, and R.O.B. wouldn't be in the game. The latter 2 being HUGE parts of Nintendo's history. I think famous characters are the ones that every one wants like Ridley and King K. and they haven't been in one smash game yet.

Sonic will never deserve the same amount of reps to Mario. If Sonic gets bought out, it means it wasn't popular enough.

Also think of it this way, it took Donkey Kong 2 games to get 1 more rep. Why would Sonic just get 5 out of nowhere?

Never say never. Nintendo can always buy Sonic's rights from SEGA between now and Smash 5 and easily add a second and/or third Sonic rep in the next Smash
Nintendo buying Sonic is almost the equivalent to Nintendo buying Sega. So I don't think that will ever happen. Sega has too much pride for that.

but it could as we get new installments to the series we as smash fans also expect the number of characters to increase in each installment for all we know they could already be planning SSB5
Why would they be planning a game, when 1. The current one isn't even finished and 2. Smash only happens once per console, they didn't plan SSB4 untill 4 years after Brawl came out?

Last edited:

mark welford

Smash Ace
I own all three of the Mario and Sonic games. And no it shouldn't happen like that. If history didn't matter, Ice Clmbers, Game and Watch, and R.O.B. wouldn't be in the game. The latter 2 being HUGE parts of Nintendo's history. I think famous characters are the ones that every one wants like Ridley and King K. and they haven't been in one smash game yet.
history sometimes beats fame and vice versa
Sonic will never deserve the same amount of reps to Mario. If Sonic gets bought out, it means it wasn't popular enough. I think he kinda does because of the rivalry turned friendship and their history together

Heck Zelda doesn't even deserve the amount Mario has.
well that is true but sakurai doesn't care what we say or do because he knows what is best for the series

Nintendo buying Sonic is almost the equivalent to Nintendo buying Sega. So I don't think that will ever happen. Sega has too much pride for that.
pride is like alcohol you shouldn't have too much of at one time

Why would they be planning a game, when 1. The current one isn't even finished and 2. Smash only happens once per console, they didn't plan SSB4 untill 4 years after Brawl came out?
because it is always good to plan ahead of time

Last edited:

Johnknight1

NNID
Johnknight1
3DS FC
3540-0575-1486
Honestly, if/when we get a second sonic representative, I want it to be Dr.Ivo Robotnik in a small mech. A tech-heavy villain seems like someone who could really spice up the roster. Sonic the Fighters had it as the final boss, so it isn't exactly a brand new idea.
We play as "characters", not "representatives".

If you want to play as a Sonic "representative", here is the icon you can play as....

NickerBocker

Smash Lord
3DS FC
2492-4251-5054
My two cents on Sega:

If they're bought out by Nintendo, they will eventually get more reps. Ot might not be Smash 5, but it is certainly a possibility. Will it be another Sonic character, or a different series? Hard to say, but Sonic is still a really big name in video games so an addition would be a pretty good move, IMO. They also have characters that have been around for a while, like Tails, Robotnik, even Knuckles, which IMO are pretty solid additions.

They wouldnt get as many characters as Mario. There arent a lot to choose from outside of the ones I just talked about plus maybe Shadow as a semi clone. Not like in Mario, where there is always another character to add.

Point is, if there is any 3rd party to get more reps after a buyout, it would definitely be Sonic.

pupNapoleon

Smash Hero
NNID
NapoleonPlays
3DS FC
5129-1683-5306
Switch FC
SW 3124 9647 8311
Sonic note: I think if it were bought out for Nintendo, it would innately get as many reps as Zelda. Not as an exact rule of thumb, but since Mario, Zelda, and Pokemon all have at least ___, Sonic would be on that list for me. If it became first party, I do not know why we would continue to diminish it and state it should get less- it is as iconic, historic, and has plenty of characters to choose from. Nintendo would celebrate its new acquisition, and likely encourage Sakurai to have many of the characters in Smash.

Of these- Tails and Knuckles are a given, and Shadow may not be too far behind. I would say Robotnik is very likely as well. I'd then root for Amy. With that we have our representation. Honesty, Sonic has too many characters it could add.

Now, if Sega as a whole is bought out, each franchise would be treated differently- they would no longer be third party, and a handful would get reps in a single smash game (I cannot see them going overboard all at once, but rather taking Sonic as a separate entity and giving it full representation, then perhaps adding one character each from a plethora of other franchises until they get all the necessary additions, which would take time, unless it were done as DLC over he course of time for an existing smash).

I'd say Monkey Ball, Bayonetta, NiGHTS

I'm so glad you guys aren't working on the game... We would honestly have the rumored Pokken Fighters...
I am not saying that Pokemon SHOULD have more than six reps, I'm just saying that factually, it is ignorant to try to dispute the lengthy statement I posted before as to why Pokemon has continued to receive as many representatives as it has.
Ultimately, as a fan of smash, I feel you rather need to, erm... get over any distaste for Pokemon, because they will always constitute a large part of the roster.

Or continue to find distaste in it, and that is dandy, but it does not change any of the facts.

Last edited:

Scoliosis Jones

Kept you waiting, huh?
Writing Team
NNID
ScoliosisxJones
3DS FC
1762-3194-1826
You know, I wasn't going to say anything else about sales and how it's not a reliable argument, but I think I will now.

My problem with arguing that sales matter, is that nobody has EVER proposed how the sales are proportionate to one another. Sure, Mario and Pokemon sell a lot. But care to explain how Fire Emblem has almost as many as Mario now? They're not even close to one another saleswise.

It's an inconsistent point. If Sales mattered nearly as much as people are saying it does, Donkey Kong would have more, Star Fox would have less, Wario Ware would have more, we should probably have like 12 more Mario characters because of the vast amount of units that have sold for that series. Hell, if sales were THAT important, Waluigi would have gotten in over Rosalina because of the combined sales of spin off games. Clearly. :awesome:

You can't say it doesn't work like that if sales matter. It's not a pick and choose. If the argument is that "More sales = More characters" then this has to prove how ridiculous that sounds.

POPULARITY on the other hand is a completely separate beast from sales. There are two sections to popularity. General popularity, and Smash popularity. For example, Wii Fit Trainer wasn't requested by essentially anybody. Yet, Sakurai picked her and made her unique. I would say sales were probably a factor. But I don't think Sakurai looked at her and said, "Wow, Wii Fit sold a lot. LET'S ADD HER BECAUSE OF THAT".

How about Greninja? Sure, Pokemon sells a lot, but why would THAT on it's own get Greninja specifically in the game? That had nothing to do with Greninja specifically. He was picked because he was unique and new. That wasn't because of sales.

I might have said "sales absolutely do not matter" the other night. But that wasn't an accurate statement. They matter. But they're not nearly as important as they're made out to be. They should not EVER be the deciding factor in a character getting in or not. It should be something to consider a character and for them to be noticed and considered.

Johnknight1

NNID
Johnknight1
3DS FC
3540-0575-1486
Guys, if you wanna say sales impact the roster, I just wanna remind you that this sales chart would make a great playable character:

LOOK AT THAT POTENTIAL FINAL SMASH IN ACTION!!!

So unique!!!

WHAT A GREAT SALES REP!!! (no job position pun intended)

Last edited:

~Krystal~

True American Heroine
It's why I wanted Porky. He or Robotnik could bring that tech edge not yet seen. Then again, Tails has proven to be quite the engineer himself. You could feasibly construct a moveset based on his mech armor as well.

Last edited:

mark welford

Smash Ace
My two cents on Sega:

If they're bought out by Nintendo, they will eventually get more reps. Ot might not be Smash 5, but it is certainly a possibility. Will it be another Sonic character, or a different series? Hard to say, but Sonic is still a really big name in video games so an addition would be a pretty good move, IMO. They also have characters that have been around for a while, like Tails, Robotnik, even Knuckles, which IMO are pretty solid additions.

They wouldnt get as many characters as Mario. There arent a lot to choose from outside of the ones I just talked about plus maybe Shadow as a semi clone. Not like in Mario, where there is always another character to add.

Point is, if there is any 3rd party to get more reps after a buyout, it would definitely be Sonic.
good point also all the characters you mentioned have potentially good movesets and shadow would be like falco or luigi except his specials would be his chaos moves

Jason the Yoshi

Watching Me, Wanting Me

Sonic will never deserve the same amount of reps to Mario. If Sonic gets bought out, it means it wasn't popular enough.

Also think of it this way, it took Donkey Kong 2 games to get 1 more rep. Why would Sonic just get 5 out of nowhere?

Pfffffft! This is hilarious! I didn't say History was insignificant, I only said that fame is taken into higher consideration. Take your bias somewhere else!

mark welford

Smash Ace
Pfffffft! This is hilarious! I didn't say History was insignificant, I only said that fame is taken into higher consideration. Take your bias somewhere else!
sometime history beats fame and vice versa but with sakurai we really don't know his mind is a very warped and wacky place I think sometimes sakurai does not even know what he is thinking about

Last edited:

pupNapoleon

Smash Hero
NNID
NapoleonPlays
3DS FC
5129-1683-5306
Switch FC
SW 3124 9647 8311
It's why I wanted Porky. He or Robotnik could bring that tech edge not yet seen. Then again, Tails has proven to be quite the engineer himself. You could feasibly construct a moveset based on his mech armor as well.
That could be Tails' final smash..
he has enough going for him as an iconic fighter out of mech.
Putting him in the mech would remove his signature abilities of flight

...and I want the epic

TAILS v DIXIE

~Krystal~

True American Heroine
That could be Tails' final smash..
he has enough going for him as an iconic fighter out of mech.
Putting him in the mech would remove his signature abilities of flight

...and I want the epic

TAILS v DIXIE
Tails would dismantle Dixie, as much I love her. Flight beats gliding any time. :troll:

NickerBocker

Smash Lord
3DS FC
2492-4251-5054
You know, I wasn't going to say anything else about sales and how it's not a reliable argument, but I think I will now.

My problem with arguing that sales matter, is that nobody has EVER proposed how the sales are proportionate to one another. Sure, Mario and Pokemon sell a lot. But care to explain how Fire Emblem has almost as many as Mario now? They're not even close to one another saleswise.

It's an inconsistent point. If Sales mattered nearly as much as people are saying it does, Donkey Kong would have more, Star Fox would have less, Wario Ware would have more, we should probably have like 12 more Mario characters because of the vast amount of units that have sold for that series. Hell, if sales were THAT important, Waluigi would have gotten in over Rosalina because of the combined sales of spin off games. Clearly. :awesome:

You can't say it doesn't work like that if sales matter. It's not a pick and choose. If the argument is that "More sales = More characters" then this has to prove how ridiculous that sounds.

POPULARITY on the other hand is a completely separate beast from sales. There are two sections to popularity. General popularity, and Smash popularity. For example, Wii Fit Trainer wasn't requested by essentially anybody. Yet, Sakurai picked her and made her unique. I would say sales were probably a factor. But I don't think Sakurai looked at her and said, "Wow, Wii Fit sold a lot. LET'S ADD HER BECAUSE OF THAT".

How about Greninja? Sure, Pokemon sells a lot, but why would THAT on it's own get Greninja specifically in the game? That had nothing to do with Greninja specifically. He was picked because he was unique and new. That wasn't because of sales.

I might have said "sales absolutely do not matter" the other night. But that wasn't an accurate statement. They matter. But they're not nearly as important as they're made out to be. They should not EVER be the deciding factor in a character getting in or not. It should be something to consider a character and for them to be noticed and considered.
All well said. To add to this, I will say that sales alone are not a good factor to consider by itself. However, it is a good indicator for other factors. Sales can indicate things like popularity, as well as exposure and public awareness. High sales typically mean popularity, and high sales mean that more of the public is aware of its existance. Not everyone plays Mario, but it has become a household name due to its high public exposure.

Last edited:

The Light Music Club

Smash Master
NNID
_TLMC_
3DS FC
0576-6097-0725
Fame isn't always taken into higher consideration, that's what I'm saying. If it was, Fire Emblem wouldn't have 4 characters. Donkey Kong and Metriod are both more "famous" Sonic won't get as many reps as Mario. If anything, Sega would put in Nights, or Samba before Cream or Amy. Smash wouldn't be littered with Sonic characters. Let's say Smash 5 comes out two years after Sonic gets aquired, I don't see them adding 5 Sonic Newcomers.

Last edited:

mark welford

Smash Ace
All well said. To add to this, I will say that sales alone are not a good factor to consider by itself. However, it is a good indicator for other factors. Sales can indicate things like popularity, as well as exposure and public awareness. High sales typically mean popularity, and high sales mean that more of the public is aware of its existance. Not everyone plays Mario, but it has become a household name due to its high public exposure.
good point sir btw who is that man with the good looking moustache in your avatar

pupNapoleon

Smash Hero
NNID
NapoleonPlays
3DS FC
5129-1683-5306
Switch FC
SW 3124 9647 8311

Well, it may not deserve as many reps as Mario, for the unknown reasons you do not state (which I can attribute to it being Nintendos mascot), but it certainly would deserve as many Zelda. Sonic is an insanely popular franchise and household name with a vast history, which Nintendo as an IP could probably do wonders with (I would LOVE for Sakurai to create a Sonic game). If it were to become a NINTENDO property, it would be one of its biggest franchises, and would thusly warrant the representation of one of its biggest franchises. It is not short on unique characters to add, nor a few key ones to take spotlight-

if Nintendo bought it, they would come.

Johnknight1

NNID
Johnknight1
3DS FC
3540-0575-1486

My face when I see "muh sales" as a primary argument...

Sales don't make amazing characters to play as or against, gameplay does.

The character being amazing character to play as or against is all that matters at the end of the day, along with the gameplay in general being amazing.

After all, if there's no good gameplay, and no characters that are fun to play as or against, what's the point=???

*points at PSASBR and laughs*

The Light Music Club

Smash Master
NNID
_TLMC_
3DS FC
0576-6097-0725
Well, it may not deserve as many reps as Mario, for the unknown reasons you do not state (which I can attribute to it being Nintendos mascot), but it certainly would deserve as many Zelda. Sonic is an insanely popular franchise and household name with a vast history, which Nintendo as an IP could probably do wonders with (I would LOVE for Sakurai to create a Sonic game). If it were to become a NINTENDO property, it would be one of its biggest franchises, and would thusly warrant the representation of one of its biggest franchises. It is not short on unique characters to add, nor a few key ones to take spotlight-

Yes, I said earlier that it could get the amount of Zelda if purchased, but it would have to get a steady growth rate. Who wants to see 4 or 5 non-clone characters be newcomers all from the same series? Heck people are complaining we got two characters from one series, when one of them took almost no dev time.

I just wouldn't understand Sonic getting such special treatment to the level of Pokemon and Mario when it wouldn't even be part of Nintendo for a long time.

What would cause Sega to be bought anyhow? Low sales? Because if that's the case, it means it's games aren't nearly as popular as people think they are.

Last edited:

Scoliosis Jones

Kept you waiting, huh?
Writing Team
NNID
ScoliosisxJones
3DS FC
1762-3194-1826
You know that feeling when you see a character get revealed that you absolutely did not like the concept of? Then you watch the video and then LOVE the character based on what they can do? Because of their gameplay?

That's why gameplay is so freaking important. Because even if you weren't a fan originally, the gameplay can sway you. That's exactly what happened to me with Greninja, Rosalina and Robin. I love all three of them now. All because of the gameplay and how awesome they look.

mark welford

Smash Ace

every character shadow and before would be great sonic representatives character after shadow would not be great additions because after shadow they just started shoving characters down our throats especially blaze I cant stand blaze she makes my blood boil

Jason the Yoshi

Watching Me, Wanting Me
Fame isn't always taken into higher consideration, that's what I'm saying. If it was, Fire Emblem wouldn't have 4 characters. Donkey Kong and Metriod are both more "famous" Sonic won't get as many reps as Mario. If anything, Sega would put in Nights, or Samba before Cream or Amy. Smash wouldn't be littered with Sonic characters. Let's say Smash 5 comes out two years after Sonic gets aquired, I don't see them adding 5 Sonic Newcomers.
It all depends on the franchise, besides, Sonic already has a lot of importance to Nintendo. Hell, he's even been in Nintendo Directs! Quit being so pessimistic

The Light Music Club

Smash Master
NNID
_TLMC_
3DS FC
0576-6097-0725
It all depends on the franchise, besides, Sonic already has a lot of importance to Nintendo. Hell, he's even been in Nintendo Directs! Quit being so pessimistic
Every series in Smash is important to Nintendo that's why they are in Smash.

Layton's been in Nintendo directs, he even has a Nintendo of America site. I don't see him anywhere though. Nintendo Directs don't mean a darn thing at all. How about we get Rusty in smash? He's been in directs too before.

I'm not being pessimistic. I'm being reasonable.

Last edited:

mark welford

Smash Ace
Yes, I said earlier that it could get the amount of Zelda if purchased, but it would have to get a steady growth rate. Who wants to see 4 or 5 non-clone characters be newcomers all from the same series? Heck people are complaining we got two characters from one series, when one of them took almost no dev time.

I just wouldn't understand Sonic getting such special treatment to the level of Pokemon and Mario when it wouldn't even be part of Nintendo for a long time.

What would cause Sega to be bought anyhow? Low sales? Because if that's the case, it means it's games aren't nearly as popular as people think they are.
like it or not Nintendo and sega's history is twisted tightly together it is rivalry turned friendship and actually Nintendo is sega's savior if it was not for Nintendo allowing sega games on gamecube on up sega would be bankrupt dead and gone

The Light Music Club

Smash Master
NNID
_TLMC_
3DS FC
0576-6097-0725
like it or not Nintendo and sega's history is twisted tightly together it is rivalry turned friendship and actually Nintendo is sega's savior if it was not for Nintendo allowing sega games on gamecube on up sega would be bankrupt dead and gone
I don't see your point. Link, Mario, Pikachu, and Kirby are the mascots for Smash and Nintendo, allowing Sonic to be having as many characters as Mario or Pokemon means they are equivalent and status, and since they didn't start with Nintendo, they should never be allowed to hold that status.

Sonic shouldn't be mascot status if he has to be bought from somewhere else.

pupNapoleon

Smash Hero
NNID
NapoleonPlays
3DS FC
5129-1683-5306
Switch FC
SW 3124 9647 8311
Well, Zelda currently has as many reps as Mario, and had one more than Mario did in Brawl...

As for the part I quoted above, this is hypothetical, so, obviously that is a question I cannot answer!

jaytalks

Smash Champion
NNID
jaytalks
gotta a chance to play Smash Bros at San Diego Comic Con. I played as all the newcomers available aside from Rosalina. This is how I would rank them:

1) The Villager (played on the 3DS version)
A very fun character. All the moves are really lively and they also do good damage. But what puts this character over the top is that the character seems to be having a whole lot of fun as well. It's delightful to watch him do the side special.
Best move: Up smash

2) Mega Man (3DS verstion)
I don't really use projectile characters, but it feels like he's been lifted straight out of a Mega Man game. He moves perfectly. It was just hard to learn all the different ranges of his projectiles in a short amount of time. His smashes are very effective, the character is going to be all about timing.
Best move: Running A attack (Tornado Spin)

3) Little Mac (3DS)
It's really satisfying when you enter KO mode. I was playing Smash Run, so I was able to account for his lack of jumping ability by gaining jumping stats. But he's a really powerful character when he's on. He has the worst Final Smash thus far I think however.
Best Move: Side special (Jolt Haymaker)

4) Greninja (Wii)
He moves really fast and smooth, but I had trouble getting a knock out with him. But he seems to be an okay character, just not someone I would main. His neutral special is really useful however.
Best Move: neutral special (water shuriken)

5) Wii Fit Trainer (wii)
I just really didnt get the flow of the character and wasn't really able to utilize any of her specials properly. She can throw opponents off I think because she attacks akwardly at times. But I think her character was the worst fit for me.
Best Move: Up special (Hula hoop)

I also played as Fox for a 3DS four way battle. So the way it worked it is you had to play the 3DS Smash Run and get first place against CPUs. After that, they would give you a ticket for a fatal four way with four other players. The winner got a free T-Shirt. As much as I wanted to try out a newcomer, I really wanted the shirt. So I went with a safe character I knew well, as Link was in the 3DS demo (but Toon Link was). That character happened to be Fox, as I figured he would be a good character regardless. I got really luck in the actual battle. I was down by two, but a smash ball appeared. I ran towards it and did a good old Fire Fox, and got my Final Smash. The Landmaster carried me to victory, so I'm glad Fox still has it. Of course, when I play against Fox that's a whole different story.

Last edited:

Jason the Yoshi

Watching Me, Wanting Me
I don't see your point. Link, Mario, Pikachu, and Kirby are the mascots for Smash and Nintendo, allowing Sonic to be having as many characters as Mario or Pokemon means they are equivalent and status, and since they didn't start with Nintendo, they should never be allowed to hold that status.

What the hell am I reading?!?! This is hilarious! "Smash actually has mascots." BAH HAH HUMBUG! What kind of twisted logic is this?

Last edited:

mark welford

Smash Ace

well it would not be a stretch to say that sonic even though he is not Nintendo brand is a big part of Nintendo's history and has more popularity than legend of Zelda pokemon or Kirby and he deserves more representative than he got right now

The Light Music Club

Smash Master
NNID
_TLMC_
3DS FC
0576-6097-0725
What the hell am I reading?!?! This is hilarious! "Smash actually has mascots." BAH HAH HUMBUG!
Well you know considering they were the first to be shown in Brawl, the Melee opening, the SSB4 trailer (when going into the 3DS) , and are the ones in the Mega Man trailer, I would consider them to be the main characters of Smash Bros.

Sonic should never be at that level in the smash universe. I'm assuming your a Sonic fan since he's your main in Brawl. I think you have more bias towards this then I do. Plus, since Sega probably won't be bought out in forever, if at all, I don't see the point in arguing on the matter any furthur.

well it would not be a stretch to say that sonic even though he is not Nintendo brand is a big part of Nintendo's history and has more popularity than legend of Zelda pokemon or Kirby and he deserves more representative than he got right now
He's a guest! Guests should only get one character.

Well, Zelda currently has as many reps as Mario, and had one more than Mario did in Brawl...

As for the part I quoted above, this is hypothetical, so, obviously that is a question I cannot answer!
I'd like to retract that statement, since I miscalculated.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom