• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Character Discussion Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

Moon Monkey

Smash Hero
NNID
Mr.MoonMonkey
Switch FC
SW-0550-3588-6412
I never said for Takamaru.

And it would not be wasting development time if the character were then taken over by another AT *as if it were a skin, which for certain other characters could just be a model rip*
Why would the devs give themselves MORE work to do? You want them to make a low poly model with a set rigg and animations.
Then go back and make a higher poly model with a totally new rigg, 20+ SFX for the character 26 NEW animations.

It is a totally a waste of time.

Last edited:

Scoliosis Jones

Kept you waiting, huh?
Writing Team
NNID
ScoliosisxJones
3DS FC
1762-3194-1826
I am unsure- the main page has been strange all day the past few days.
Suddenly now the characters, who were already all shrunken down to be tiny sizes each, now have an entirely different color and the 'warning' sign in bold for new characters.

Maybe they really did just reveal him poorly.

I never said for Takamaru.

And it would not be wasting development time if the character were then taken over by another AT *as if it were a skin, which for certain other characters could just be a model rip*
So what you're saying is, that they would take Takamaru's model as an AT, and then just make him a playable character and replace him with somebody else to work the same way?

Why not just make him playable in the first place instead of using that time? No character is worth that amount of hype. Nobody. They didn't do it for Sonic (not that they could) but there is literally no reason for them to do that for pretty much any character. No character has the amount of hype for that to be worth it.

Not only do you have to make the model, you have to work on the movement of the character and what they do. If they did this with pretty much any character, they would have to find a replacement that replicates the actions to a T for it to be worth it.

I don't see why they would do it. Shock value isn't a good enough reason to waste development time when people would be hyped enough to just get them revealed in the first place.

Johnknight1

Upward and Forward, Positive and Persistent
NNID
Johnknight1
3DS FC
3540-0575-1486
Takamaru won't be a playable character or an alternate costume for any playable character this time around (sans fan mods of course), the same way Mario won't be an assist trophy character or a Wii Fit Trainer alternate costume.

It's not that hard to understand.

Last edited:

pupNapoleon

Smash Hero
NNID
NapoleonPlays
3DS FC
5129-1683-5306
Switch FC
SW 3124 9647 8311
So what you're saying is, that they would take Takamaru's model as an AT, and then just make him a playable character and replace him with somebody else to work the same way?

Why not just make him playable in the first place instead of using that time? No character is worth that amount of hype. Nobody. They didn't do it for Sonic (not that they could) but there is literally no reason for them to do that for pretty much any character. No character has the amount of hype for that to be worth it.

Not only do you have to make the model, you have to work on the movement of the character and what they do. If they did this with pretty much any character, they would have to find a replacement that replicates the actions to a T for it to be worth it.

I don't see why they would do it. Shock value isn't a good enough reason to waste development time when people would be hyped enough to just get them revealed in the first place.
No, I do not think they would do it for Takamaru.
For someone like Isaac, who would easily be replaced by someone like Matthew, and was already an AT, and would be a very big shock to be upgraded- yes, I think it is absolutely plausible.

Not even likely, but I think it would only take a moment of development time, much less than the movies, and would be more hype inducing than, say, a movie, because most would not see it coming.

Blazeth

Smash Apprentice
Not having a new retro character would feel so weird.
Even with Takamaru disconfirmed, I'm still absolutely expecting a new retro character (but PLEASE not Duck Hunt Dog).

pupNapoleon

Smash Hero
NNID
NapoleonPlays
3DS FC
5129-1683-5306
Switch FC
SW 3124 9647 8311
Even with Takamaru disconfirmed, I'm still absolutely expecting a new retro character (but PLEASE not Duck Hunt Dog).
I think Pacman is our retro character.

No... I know he is one of our retro characters.

Johnknight1

NNID
Johnknight1
3DS FC
3540-0575-1486
Ummm... Mega Man, Little Mac, Pac-Man, and Palutena are retro newcomers.

And if we are talking "purely retro", as in Bo modern updates, those characters don't count, but then again, neither does Takamaru, given his updates in design and whatnot over the past few years.

Last edited:

GamerGuy09

Smash Master
Switch FC
SW-3742-4712-6319
Current List of Most Talked About Characters:

1. Ridley

2. King K. Rool

3. Shulk

4. Bandana Dee

5. Isaac

6. Chrom

6. Krystal

7. Takamaru

7. Toad

8. Geno

9. Impa

10. Chorus Kids

I personally believe the Top 5 have a good shot of being in the game, the others not so much. With the exception of Chorus Kids because of the Gematsu leak being a thing still.

Last edited:

Johnknight1

NNID
Johnknight1
3DS FC
3540-0575-1486
Why is anyone still taking about Toad=???

Guys he's deconfirmed essentially.

Peach's neutral B isn't changing.

Plus he's freaking boring as an idea. The only decent idea I heard was him as a Zangief rip-off.

At least evolve to Captain Toad as an idea.

(His gimmick: he can't jump, but he sure is Godlike on the ground!!!)

[that is mostly a joke btw]

Last edited:

GamerGuy09

Smash Master
Switch FC
SW-3742-4712-6319
Why is anyone still taking about Toad=???

Guys he's deconfirmed essentially.

Peach's neutral B isn't changing.

Plus he's freaking boring as an idea. The only decent idea I heard was him as a Zangief rip-off.

At least evolve to Captain Toad as an idea.

(His gimmick: he can't jump, but he sure is Godlike on the ground!!!)
I agree with you, but even with the Can't Jump gimmick we already have LIttle Mac.

The top 5 + Chorus Men have a 50%+ chance to get in. Some more than others, but I don't think anyone under the top 5 has a shot of getting in.

Johnknight1

NNID
Johnknight1
3DS FC
3540-0575-1486
I agree with you, but even with the Can't Jump gimmick we already have LIttle Mac.

The top 5 + Chorus Men have a 50%+ chance to get in. Some more than others, but I don't think anyone under the top 5 has a shot of getting in.
I honestly cannot see Bandanna Derp happening.

He's a lot like Chrom, only less popular and less demanded.

With all the gameplay focus, I can't see such a boring character get in.

And before the fans jump on me, I've read a lot of stuff and it all bores me to sleep, like Chrom.

I don't want to play as "their vision" if Bandanna Dee.

(At least Takamaru fans had some good ideas for such a very flawed character)

Also while Isaac has a fair shot (and would be an amazing addition to the roster), he's not a 50/50 character IMO.

GamerGuy09

Smash Master
Switch FC
SW-3742-4712-6319

And before the fans jump on me, I've read a lot of stuff and it all bores me to sleep, like Chrom.

Also while Isaac has a fair shot (and would be an amazing addition to the roster), he's not a 50/50 character IMO.

I don't understand why you would think Bandana Dee is "uninteresting", but I believe he has by far a more interesting moveset potential than Toad and Chrom combined. Whatever though....I'm not mad....

N3ON

Gone Exploring
BRoomer
I doubt Bandana Dee would be excluded due to Sakurai finding him boring like Chrom, he has a playstyle which hasn't yet been seen on the roster.

I think he'd get excluded because Kirby already has its central cast, Bandana Dee isn't as popular or important as people think he is, Kirby is in no need of any more characters, it received two original and priority newcomers last time, and he's just overall not a fantastic choice, he's a B-tier character from a B-tier series who primarily got off the ground due to people thinking Kirby should get another character, not due to the character himself.

GamerGuy09

Smash Master
Switch FC
SW-3742-4712-6319
I doubt Bandana Dee would be excluded due to Sakurai finding him boring like Chrom, he has a playstyle which hasn't yet been seen on the roster.

I think he'd get excluded because Kirby already has its central cast, Bandana Dee isn't as popular or important as people think he is, Kirby is in no need of any more characters, it received two original and priority newcomers last time, and he's just overall not a fantastic choice, he's a B-tier character from a B-tier series.

.......your......yuwr..........ryur........prorobely......rtey......ritgeh......ritgh....right.....:cry:

Why should I even hold on to this stupid hope......it will end up being Shulk and Chorus Men, and maybe Ridley if we are lucky.....at least Robin got in.....the dark horse of all this....

Last edited:

YoshiandToad

Smash Hero
The problem with guessing what a character's theoretical playstyle will be and then selecting who is worth an inclusion based on that rather than picking a character you like and then working out what said character could do for a moveset, is that it's a lot harder to decide upon.

Look at Rosalina; maybe two people thought she'd have a puppet master playstyle? It's not the most obvious option for her, but sure it fits fine...just not what you'd first think of.

Likewise if you'd told me that not only would we get Wii Fit Trainer as a playable character but they'd also have an energy blast attack in Sun Salute, I'd of thought you were nuts. Why would a physical fitness character be shooting energy blasts?

Personally I think burying a pickaxe into an enemies skull, riding a minecart into an opponents face, stunning them with a flashlight as Captain Toad or using his backpack as a weight altering playstyle allowing him to remove objects from it to make him lighter with (slightly) better jumps, but at the cost of durability sounds like a lot of fun.

But even if I think that's got some fun moves in it with an interesting gimmick, it doesn't mean Sakurai would do anything close to this even if he picked the same character.

Maybe instead he'd pick a moveset based around the concept of Captain Toad; environmental manipulation in order to take advantages of gaps in an enemies defence? Who is to say?

On another note; what is considered interesting is subjective at best anyway. Marth isn't interesting to me in the slightest but people seem to really like his moveset. Ditto with Falco.

Even theoretical newcomers are subjective; I've seen Wart suggested as a really unique idea but all it really was was a combination of Yoshi's tongue and Bowser like weight. With a bubble attack as the one unique move of interest.

Likewise someone suggested Baby Bros. with their hammers as a really unique idea and it was just Ice Climbers without any ice.

I personally hated both these ideas; they sound like uninspired mashups at best to me, boring ideas at worst, but I bet there's dozens out there that would think the opposite.

Last edited:

mark welford

Smash Ace

I think he'd get excluded because Kirby already has its central cast, Bandana Dee isn't as popular or important as people think he is, Kirby is in no need of any more characters, it received two original and priority newcomers last time, and he's just overall not a fantastic choice, he's a B-tier character from a B-tier series who primarily got off the ground due to people thinking Kirby should get another character, not due to the character himself.
well I don't know about you but I enjoy playing as Kirby he maybe small and cute but to me he is a dangerous beast on the battlefield and personally I like to play him more than a character like ike

GamerGuy09

Smash Master
Switch FC
SW-3742-4712-6319
The problem with guessing what a character's theoretical playstyle will be and then selecting who is worth an inclusion based on that rather than picking a character you like and then working out what said character could do for a moveset, is that it's a lot harder to decide upon.

Look at Rosalina; maybe two people thought she'd have a puppet master playstyle? It's not the most obvious option for her, but sure it fits fine...just not what you'd first think of.

Likewise if you'd told me that not only would we get Wii Fit Trainer as a playable character but they'd also have an energy blast attack in Sun Salute, I'd of thought you were nuts. Why would a physical fitness character be shooting energy blasts?

Personally I think burying a pickaxe into an enemies skull, riding a minecart into an opponents face, stunning them with a flashlight as Captain Toad or using his backpack as a weight altering playstyle allowing him to remove objects from it to make him lighter with (slightly) better jumps, but at the cost of durability sounds like a lot of fun.

But even if I think that's got some fun moves in it with an interesting gimmick, it doesn't mean Sakurai would do anything close to this even if he picked the same character.

Plus what is considered interesting is subjective anyway. Marth isn't interesting to me in the slightest but people seem to really like his moveset. Ditto with Falco.

Even theoretical newcomers are subjective; I've seen Wart suggested as a really unique idea but all it really was was a combination of Yoshi's tongue and Bowser like weight. With a bubble attack as the one move of interest.

Likewise someone suggested Baby Bros. with their hammers as a really unique idea and it was just Ice Climbers without any ice.

I personally hated both these ideas; they sound like uninspired mashups at best to me, boring ideas at worst, but I bet there's dozens out there that would think the opposite.
I guessed Robin using the Levin Sword, but not his ability to run out of tomes. So I was half right.

YoshiandToad

Smash Hero
I guessed Robin using the Levin Sword, but not his ability to run out of tomes. So I was half right.
In other words whilst you guessed one small factor(and the Levin sword is one of the more fitting weapons for Robin really being both magical and a blade), you were still surprised by the main gimmick Robin brings?

Sakurai can and has surprised us with playstyles we never expected this time round.

I just think it's foolish to pre judge any character on playstyle merits when it's such an impossible thing to predict with the exception of a few characters like Ridley(who would most likely be an aerial based fighter with plenty of grabs) or Little Mac whose moveset was what most people assumed anyway...although they may not have even guessed he'd be that poor in the air.

Swamp Sensei

Today is always the most enjoyable day!
BRoomer
NNID
Swampasaur
3DS FC
4141-2776-0914
Switch FC
SW-6476-1588-8392

Really?

I always saw Bandana Dee as a character whose moveset wrote itself. I think you're underplaying his potential.

Granted he probably won't be in, but moveset potential isn't holding him back at all IMO.

Last edited:

ElPanandero

Smash Lord
NNID
ElPanandero
You know that feeling when you see a character get revealed that you absolutely did not like the concept of? Then you watch the video and then LOVE the character based on what they can do? Because of their gameplay?

That's why gameplay is so freaking important. Because even if you weren't a fan originally, the gameplay can sway you. That's exactly what happened to me with Greninja, Rosalina and Robin. I love all three of them now. All because of the gameplay and how awesome they look.
I know its a couple pages back, but this is my favorite part of smash. There's characters I want to play as for the character (Robin) but I'm really into Rosalina purely because of her playstyle, I could care less about her as a character, but the fact that smash finally has a pupetteer has me drooling.

Also, I casually looked at my computer when I woke up this morning, saw that the conversation had exploded like 4 pages in 6 hours, figured something big happened while I slept, saw the Takamaru update..sorry guys, must be tough for you Taka supporters.

So who else thnks Pac really is our 'retro' charavter this time around. (I don't get how Mac/Plat/Mega/even Pad are considered retro, when they had games that came out super recently..mario has old games too but it isn't retro..)

Last edited:

MasterOfKnees

Space Pirate
NNID
KneeMaster
Switch FC
SW-6310-1174-0352
I feel like everyone except Shulk, Ridley, K. Rool and maybe Chorus Men's chances are sub-50% at this point, with few newcomer spots left that's only natural. I doubt we're going to see all four of these too, probably Shulk and one of the heavy weights to round it off.

Starphoenix

How Long Have I Been Asleep?
NNID
GalaxyPhoenix
3DS FC
2122-6914-9465
Here's is one of those characters that I thought would suffer because of the Mii Fighter... And on cue Takamaru bit the dust. Poor guy, he was one of the longer standing higher profile character requests. RIP.

JaidynReiman

Smash Hero
NNID
JaidynReiman
Quite honestly, Takamaru being an AT didn't surprise me at all. The only thing that surprised me is it was this morning literally just after Takamaru was rated, and people were clamoring for a rerate due to Takamaru's game getting localized. Even if we did rerate my opinion on Takamaru's chances wasn't going to change.

I don't think we're getting a retro rep at this point, I think Mega Man and Pac-Man replaced the retro reps for this game. (Although if we DO get a retro rep, I think Lip has the biggest chance at this point. But I think she's more likely to get AT status as well.)

Kenith

Overkill Sarcasm
The Fabulous Friendly Super Sparkle Train
NNID
RipoffmanXKTG
3DS FC
4210-4224-9442
I feel like everyone except Shulk, Ridley, K. Rool and maybe Chorus Men's chances are sub-50% at this point, with few newcomer spots left that's only natural. I doubt we're going to see all four of these too, probably Shulk and one of the heavy weights to round it off.
Same, I think we're getting at least Ridley and Shulk, and a couple more if lucky.
This especially sucks though, as I can't see ATs being made playable through DLC.

Last edited:

Tr1pleDee

Together now!
NNID
Tr1pleDee
3DS FC
2964-8670-3007
Switch FC
SW-6770-0026-7427
"(FYI, I'm an assist trophy)"

sakurai you ****ing troll

Doompatron3000

Smash Journeyman
Well, I'm still technically right, we got a character, just not a reveal, we got a character deconfirmed......

Burruni

Smash Hero
I strongly believe in Shulk, a RH rep (that is either Chorus Kids but more likely Marshal to be more functional), and Bandanna Dee. However, with my working theory for a roster that leaves one more slot for a Newcomer/Mewtwo. My personal hope is that it isn't Ridley because I feel that Brawl kept his effect in the Metroid games in proper spirit. Unlike Bowser, Wario, Meta Knight, King Dedede, or K.Rool, the only time that there wasn't a major size difference between Samus and Ridley (which is what sets up for the raw intimidation that a player is meant to feel when they encounter Ridley) was the limited capabilities of the NES. Nonetheless this is all crap Ridley Fans, Detractors, and people who just don't care have heard before. I just hope that if we get a big new villain, it's K.Rool.

(To try to restate my point in a shorter form: I feel like Ridley as a fighter goes against his Metroid role, let alone other problems we all have heard argued to death.)

Last edited:

Kenith

Overkill Sarcasm
The Fabulous Friendly Super Sparkle Train
NNID
RipoffmanXKTG
3DS FC
4210-4224-9442
(To try to restate my point in a shorter form: I feel like Ridley as a fighter goes against his Metroid role, let alone other problems we all have heard argued to death.)
I feel the same way about Bowser and Ganondorf. How preposterous that they are playable when they should be bosses for Mushroom Kingdom U and Skyloft, respectively.

Zwzchow

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Zwzchow8
3DS FC
1805-3193-2658
Ridley's inclusion/deconfirmation would really break Smashboards hard (Just look at what Robin Chrom and Lucina did)

Doompatron3000

Smash Journeyman
Does anyone know, when Nintendo Directs are usually announced? I want to know when I can get hyped for our next possible newcomer/veteran reveal.

Spazzy_D

Smash Hero
NNID
Spazzy_D
3DS FC
1590-4700-7117
Guys, I am really bummed because @MASTERLINKX found a leaked picture of Shulk as an assist trophy and shared it with all of us in the support thread. At first I was a bit skeptical, but I'm pretty sure it's legit.

At least the model is awesome!

Burruni

Smash Hero
I feel the same way about Bowser and Ganondorf. How preposterous that they are playable when they should be bosses for Mushroom Kingdom U and Skyloft, respectively.
For Ganondorf to a degree but more so Bowser, I feel that point can be argued. Bowser has been right in Mario's face causing problems repeatedly (in main games, and spin-offs) and in most main-games, just a bit taller than a Mario at full height. One big thing that retro-actively that I feel came to be because of his playable role in Smash is how much his character was flushed out, grown, and including being outright Playable in the Mario RPGs (though SMRPG and the original Paper Mario came out before Melee). Bowser has gone from just The Koopa King into a full character with more personality and depth than Peach and maybe Mario himself.
Ganondorf gave a human face, a real form to the original WizPig, and while being a bit taller than Link in OoT and TP, and about double height of Toon Link in WW, his height hasn't been what made him one of Nintendo's biggest baddies. He was the Gerudo King who succeeded in raiding a relic of the gods for grand power and conquering Hyrule across the events of OoT, and tore his way free from Divine Imprisonment for WW/TP. ForceS of evil combine efforts to revive him to usher in a new dark age, because he has unmatched power.
Ridley, even if you want to add in the Metroid manga, has been a fairly two-dimensional character. He's a giant purple space dragon, who had climbed to the highest ranks of the Space Pirates and sided with Mother Brain when invading the Chozos. His fights have been a stepping stone to Mother Brain (or a one-off grander villain), but a turning point for Samus's story as it is avenging her parents' deaths (alongside the entire colony). I love Ridley as being this giant terror-inducing beast who normally is the gateway to one of if not the final upgrade in a Metroid game, the threshold to stop you from becoming the full Samus. However, in Metroid, he's a Koopaling/BowserJr./Kamek. He's a Phantom Ganon. He's basically a Meta Knight with a less-deep character that's the size of a Kirby final boss that isn't King Dedede that relies on that size for his character.

Gold_Jacobson

Smash Journeyman
I'm surprised that some people here actually write off potentional characters because they have "no gameplay potentional." How many examples do you need from Sakurai that he can make a great original moveset with anyone?

Anyway, I know some of us had the Tak-man on our rosters. Let's see those updated rosters now that he's out. :p

jaytalks

Smash Champion
NNID
jaytalks
Ummm... Mega Man, Little Mac, Pac-Man, and Palutena are retro newcomers.

And if we are talking "purely retro", as in Bo modern updates, those characters don't count, but then again, neither does Takamaru, given his updates in design and whatnot over the past few years.
Updates to design would make Takamaru any less retro. Retroness comes from a lack of a release in the modern era.

Some of the characters you listed may feel retro, and the gaming community at large might think of them of retro, but they very much are not. And they definitely don't fit into the convention of what we think of retro newcomers in Smash.

pupNapoleon

Smash Hero
NNID
NapoleonPlays
3DS FC
5129-1683-5306
Switch FC
SW 3124 9647 8311
So who else thnks Pac really is our 'retro' charavter this time around. (I don't get how Mac/Plat/Mega/even Pad are considered retro, when they had games that came out super recently..mario has old games too but it isn't retro..)
I think Sakurai made it clear that Pacman is our Historical rep for this entry (wherein the past it was ROB and Game and Watch). This is evident in the references to his play style, but cemented in the parallels drawn between him and G&W versus DK and Mario, down to the year born.

I think our 'retro' rebirth, a la Pit and Ice Climbers, who is just a character who is fun for Nintendo, is still going to be revealed. I say, as it is always fun, it will be Mach Rider, Lip, or Duck Hunt dog. I never count a character out, so I am still ready for it to be the curveball of Balloon Fighter.

Or it could someone have never heard of. Maybe Sukapon indeed. If Rayman actually was in development and then scrapped for Ubisoft bias, I could see them continuing him on through/into Sukapon.

Do you like anything, or do you just go around to rain disdain and aggression on others' creativity and opinions?
It is fine to have your own points of view, but you demand to be pleased and swayed by others yet only retort that you find arguments unconvincing or boring without any citation or actual development into the discussion further.

Who would you like to see added to the game?

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom