• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Character Discussion Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

Dalek_Kolt

Smash Master
So, you don't think Bandana Dee can be interesting?
I kinda like the idea of Bandee. But this image sorta sums up my thoughts on having a polearm wielder on the cast that's not Palutena.
bandana.png

Yeah, yeah, I know, having one doesn't directly contradict the other's chances, but a trident wielder has just as much to offer as a spear-wielder.

Come to think of it, Ganon could be an "evil" counterpart to Palutena.

Cobalsh

Smash Champion
3DS FC
2578-3430-9913
Mach Rider is male.

That is a woman you rescue in the game, as that's your objective.

Kenith

Overkill Sarcasm
The Fabulous Friendly Super Sparkle Train
NNID
RipoffmanXKTG
3DS FC
4210-4224-9442
I'm pretty sure that female character is not Mach Rider.

But I'm in 100% agreement with @ Scoliosis Jones Scoliosis Jones , Little Mac and Pac-Man are our retro characters.
One thing everyone forgets is that Sakurai said that he would definitely include Takamaru in Smash Bros...
If he got a new game.

And Little Mac was a retro character that got a new game after Brawl, and would you look at that, he was included in Smash 4.
But personally, I think Pac-Man is more retro due to his entire moveset being based around Namco's arcade games.

Mega Bidoof

Smash Hero
NNID
Link46
3DS FC
1160-9840-1542
I kinda like the idea of Bandee. But this image sorta sums up my thoughts on having a polearm wielder on the cast that's not Palutena.
View attachment 19700

Yeah, yeah, I know, having one doesn't directly contradict the other's chances, but a trident wielder has just as much to offer as a spear-wielder.
Thinking about it, Ganon would make a much more unique spear-weilder than Bandana Dee.

I really want Ganon, but I feel that either Impa or Ghirahim is much more likely, due to their current popularity and, I hate to use this word, "relevancy."

Normally, I'd say that relevancy is a load of bull, and that the historic and important character should get in, but Rosalina.

But either way, I really want Ganon.

Come to think of it, Ganon could be an "evil" counterpart to Palutena.
Wait, how so?

Kenith

Overkill Sarcasm
NNID
RipoffmanXKTG
3DS FC
4210-4224-9442
Thinking about it, Ganon would make a much more unique spear-weilder than Bandana Dee.
I really want Ganon, but I feel that either Impa or Ghirahim is much more likely, due to their current popularity and, I hate to use this word, "relevancy."
Normally, I'd say that relevancy is a load of bull, and that the historic and important character should get in, but Rosalina.
What is so bad about having Ganon replace Ganondorf?
Everyone wants Ganondorf to be revamped anyway...

Spazzy_D

Smash Hero
NNID
Spazzy_D
3DS FC
1590-4700-7117

Wait, how so?
If only Ganon was more visible in a Link Between Worlds.

ElPanandero

Smash Lord
NNID
ElPanandero
So, you don't think Bandana Dee can be interesting?

Mii's, Pac-Man, Little Mac and Rosalina all say hello.

I hate this argument that Bandana Dee "having a spear" doesn't make him interesting. The same people who say a spear character is boring want Takamaru so that we can have a samurai. That's an even worse reason to have a character. Plus, every single time we've talked about a character's potential moveset, Sakurai has shown us something better than we could ever dream.

So, in short, don't knock it 'til you try it.
The difference between BD and the one's you listed is that you can't really make up a scheme for BD without scrapping his cute little spear and silyl headband. The mii's have nothing (and everything) as a movepool, Pac-Man hasn't shown enough of a moveset that even proves it's unique yet, Mac is the only one I'll cede, and his really is just the classic gimped boxer, and Rosalina's makes sense.

BD is limited in a way they are not, by being an unimaginitive blob with a real basic weapon, you can't take that weapon away from him because its the only thing that makes him remotely unique, but finding a way to make it interesting would be the greatest accomplishment Sakurai has ever achieved.

Also: Since ganon is being brought up, I would love Ganon, Tridents and magic and **** and I get to keep Ganondorf the way he is? Awesomeness.

Last edited:

Pazzo.

「Livin' On A Prayer」
Little Mac could be counted as a retro... But he has a recent Wii game. I'd wager that Pac-Man could be the retro, if he wasn't Third-Party....

I'm really not sure though.

Mega Bidoof

Smash Hero
NNID
Link46
3DS FC
1160-9840-1542
What is so bad about having Ganon replace Ganondorf?
Everyone wants Ganondorf to be revamped anyway...
Because it's still having a newcomer replace a worthy veteran, even if they are the same being.

Plus, they have completely different move potential.
Everyone wants Ganondorf to use his sword and magic. They don't want him to be a spear-weilding pig.

Everyone still wants Ganondorf to be in, but with a new moveset that properly represents the character Ganodorf, not a new moveset that represents the character Ganon.

Kenith

Overkill Sarcasm
NNID
RipoffmanXKTG
3DS FC
4210-4224-9442
Everyone still wants Ganondorf to be in, but with a new moveset that properly represents the character Ganodorf, not a new moveset that represents the character Ganon.
They're the same character, though. There hasn't been a Zelda game where Ganondorf and Ganon didn't co-exist, either.
Besides, what would Ganondorf's Final Smash be if Ganon was playable?

ElPanandero

Smash Lord
NNID
ElPanandero
They're the same character, though. There hasn't been a Zelda game where Ganondorf and Ganon didn't co-exist, either.
Who cares if they're the same character, it's smash bros, not some intricate story driven massive story arc. Ganon won't get in because he's not popular, relevant, or needed enough, but not because him and Ganondorf are the same

Spazzy_D

Smash Hero
NNID
Spazzy_D
3DS FC
1590-4700-7117
Zelda and Shiek? Two Links? Mario and Doctor Mario?

Anyway, they are two versions of the same character from two entirely different timelines. Ganon represent the classic top down Zelda games, which have no real rep at the moment.

HugoBoss

Smash Journeyman
How does Little Mac count as a retro fighter, but not Pit? Punch Out and Kid Icarus both were in the same situation of having recent reboots. Why is only one of them a retro character?
I don't think Mach Rider is a woman.

Gold_Jacobson

Smash Journeyman
The difference between BD and the one's you listed is that you can't really make up a scheme for BD without scrapping his cute little spear and silyl headband. The mii's have nothing (and everything) as a movepool, Pac-Man hasn't shown enough of a moveset that even proves it's unique yet, Mac is the only one I'll cede, and his really is just the classic gimped boxer, and Rosalina's makes sense.

BD is limited in a way they are not, by being an unimaginitive blob with a real basic weapon, you can't take that weapon away from him because its the only thing that makes him remotely unique, but finding a way to make it interesting would be the greatest accomplishment Sakurai has ever achieved.

Also: Since ganon is being brought up, I would love Ganon, Tridents and magic and **** and I get to keep Ganondorf the way he is? Awesomeness.

Well, that's like saying Mario isn't unique if you took away his flud, fireballs, and jump fighting style. He'd be a little Italian man that can't do nothin.

C'mon. Have you even played any of the games featuring Bandana Dee? You seem to act like there is nothing for him.

ElPanandero

Smash Lord
NNID
ElPanandero

I guess these guys never existed in the main timeline.
Damn, you're right. Those two appearances which look way different and behave way different than Wizard Ganon totally means that the other completely different Ganon couldn't possibly be even smash bros. What would be people think when they saw a Ganon who's different than ganondorf playable when he clearly had two important roles in recent zelda games and not the great Ghiriam playable?

Dalek_Kolt

Smash Master
I'm not worried about Ghirahim threatening Ganon's chances. Relevancy is a bull argument, this isn't Melee anymore, where Ocarina of Time=The entire Zelda franchise. Rosalina at least appeared in a couple spinoff games and a main Mario title, AND she represents the Galaxy series, so she had at least a bit of a resume to make a name for herself. Ghirahim is a notable oneshot villain, whose claim to fame is being somewhat responsible for an objectively important game in the Zelda timeline, and in being in a Zelda crossover. Relevancy =/= recency.

Wait, how so?
Ganon and Palutena wield polearms, and use magic as their primary means of attack. But whereas Palutena is small, lightweight, and a goddess of light, Ganon is heavyweight, huge, and a King of Evil.

I also imagine Palutena would be more magic-focused and Ganon would be more melee-oriented.

Last edited:

Scoliosis Jones

Kept you waiting, huh?
Writing Team
NNID
ScoliosisxJones
3DS FC
1762-3194-1826
How does Little Mac count as a retro fighter, but not Pit? Punch Out and Kid Icarus both were in the same situation of having recent reboots. Why is only one of them a retro character?
Pit was a popular choice at the time of his inclusion, and he was still considered a retro character based on not having a new game before Brawl.

Before we start getting into the whole (*shudders*) REP talk, I just have to say that Sakurai doesn't add characters to represent specific things. So not having the beast form of Ganon as playable is fine. Ganondorf makes more sense as the fighter anyway.

I hate when people use the word "rep"...

ElPanandero

Smash Lord
NNID
ElPanandero
Damn, you're right. Those two appearances which look way different and behave way different than Wizard Ganon totally means that the other completely different Ganon couldn't possibly be even smash bros. What would be people think when they saw a Ganon who's different than ganondorf playable when he clearly had two important roles in recent zelda games and not the great Ghiriam playable?
@ Gold_Jacobson Gold_Jacobson That's because I don't think there is anything going for him. A Spear =/= fireballs, fludd/ mario's jumping. It maybe's is the equivalent to jjust his jumping, a lackluster yet signature attritubr that by itself would not make mario an exciting character.

Spazzy_D

Smash Hero
NNID
Spazzy_D
3DS FC
1590-4700-7117
I'm not worried about Ghirahim threatening Ganon's chances. Relevancy is a bull argument, this isn't Melee anymore, where Ocarina of Time=The entire Zelda franchise. Rosalina at least appeared in a couple spinoff games and a main Mario title, AND she represents the Galaxy series, so she had at least a bit of a resume to make a name for herself. Ghirahim is a notable oneshot villain, whose claim to fame is being somewhat responsible for an objectively important game in the Zelda timeline, and in being in a Zelda crossover. Relevancy =/= recency.

Ganon and Palutena wield polearms, and use magic as their primary means of attack. But whereas Palutena is small, lightweight, and a goddess of light, Ganon is heavyweight, huge, and a King of Evil.

I also imagine Palutena would be more magic-focused and Ganon would be more Melee-oriented.
Medusa, while not a heavy weight, is and always was anti-Palutena.

Gold_Jacobson

Smash Journeyman
gre

Agreed. I think people are making up rules of "the reboot came after smash appearance."

ElPanandero

Smash Lord
NNID
ElPanandero
That's because I don't think there is anything going for him. A Spear =/= fireballs, fludd/ mario's jumping. It maybe's is the equivalent to jjust his jumping, a lackluster yet signature attribute that by itself would not make mario an exciting character.
not sure why this is here, delete if possible

Last edited:

Kenith

Overkill Sarcasm
NNID
RipoffmanXKTG
3DS FC
4210-4224-9442
Okay. Are Link and Toon Link the same person?
Nope.
Most Links are reincarnations of the same spirit, but in the case of Toon Link (aka Wind Waker Link) he is some kid who became a hero.

What would be people think when they saw a Ganon who's different than ganondorf playable when he clearly had two important roles in recent zelda games and not the great Ghiriam playable?
Wait, are you trying to offend me by sarcastically calling Ghirahim "great"? How mature.

Morbi

Scavenger
Pit was a popular choice at the time of his inclusion, and he was still considered a retro character based on not having a new game before Brawl.

Before we start getting into the whole (*shudders*) REP talk, I just have to say that Sakurai doesn't add characters to represent specific things. So not having the beast form of Ganon as playable is fine. Ganondorf makes more sense as the fighter anyway.

I hate when people use the word "rep"...
I use the word "representative" as it is synonymous with character and the more accurate term regardless of whether or not people believe that it is relevant or not.

I also imagine Palutena would be more magic-focused and Ganon would be more melee-oriented.
In the same way that an ant does not threaten a god, Ghirahim does not threaten Ganon... or I would say that if Ghirahim were not the blatantly obvious choice! :troll:

ElPanandero

Smash Lord
NNID
ElPanandero
Nope.
Most Links are reincarnations of the same spirit, but in the case of Toon Link (aka Wind Waker Link) he is some kid who became a hero.

Wait, are you trying to offend me by sarcastically calling Ghirahim "great"? How mature.
I just don't get your arguments and the only thing that seems to make sense is that you hate anyone who's not ghiriam from Zelda

Spazzy_D

Smash Hero
NNID
Spazzy_D
3DS FC
1590-4700-7117
It's a Smash crossover, having foils and archenemies doesn't necessarily limit such characters to single franchises. Just look at Pikachu and Ridley.
Oh, I know, I'm just saying Medusa fits that role perfectly. Also, she's awesome.

Morbi

Scavenger
I just don't get your arguments and the only thing that seems to make sense is that you hate anyone who's not ghiriam from Zelda
There is a difference between hating a character and detracting a character.

It depends on the subjective interpretation of the individual, I suppose. I would objectively assert that both are retro characters, even Mario is a retro character. One does not simply cease to be a retro character; however, if one interprets a character as recent and therefore not pertaining exclusively to "retro status" they might take the more predominant interpretation and fallaciously claim that the character is no longer retro.

Kenith

Overkill Sarcasm
NNID
RipoffmanXKTG
3DS FC
4210-4224-9442
- Tetra
- Vaati
- Ganon
- Midna

I would be happy with any of those characters, but I don't find them likely.
Ghirahim is only my most wanted because of his undeniable moveset potential, and because I feel confident in supporting him more.

Scoliosis Jones

Kept you waiting, huh?
Writing Team
NNID
ScoliosisxJones
3DS FC
1762-3194-1826
I use the word "representative" as it is synonymous with character and the more accurate term regardless of whether or not people believe that it is relevant or not.
I don't get how it's more accurate. Characters aren't necessarily added simply to "represent" a game. They inherently do, but that isn't really the purpose of their selection.

When people say, "We should get X character to be a ______ rep", it makes me cringe because that's not how characters are selected unless Sakurai is actually looking for something like that. Like if in the next Smash he decides to look into retro Fire Emblem and wants something from there, then that's a little different.

However, the usage of the word "representative" gets thrown around aimlessly in my opinion.

Gold_Jacobson

Smash Journeyman
@ Gold_Jacobson Gold_Jacobson That's because I don't think there is anything going for him. A Spear =/= fireballs, fludd/ mario's jumping. It maybe's is the equivalent to jjust his jumping, a lackluster yet signature attritubr that by itself would not make mario an exciting character.
Well, no one is asking for a Bandana Der moveset without a spear... So, don't know why BD's originality without one matters to you...

Last edited:

Mega Bidoof

Smash Hero
NNID
Link46
3DS FC
1160-9840-1542
Yes, but it's still the principle that Ganondorf (in his Gerudo-human form) does deserve a slot in Smash, and can have his own moveset.

Ganon would be to Ganondorf what Toon Link is to Link. A different version of the same character from a different point in the Zelda series, that deserves it's own slot, and can co-exist with the original.

It would still be Beast Ganon, from Twilight Princess.
I'm pretty sure it was implied somewhere that Beast Ganon is seperate from Pig Ganon.

Either way, Ganon can be his own character with Beast Ganon still being Ganondorf's Final Smash.
They look completely different.
If Link has the Master Sword, does that mean that Toon Link has to have his normal Outset Island Sword?

Last edited:

DustyPumpkin

Smash Lord
NNID
DustyPumpkin
3DS FC
4038-5990-1614
Switch FC
0550-6678-6601
Mach Rider is male.

That is a woman you rescue in the game, as that's your objective.
It never tells you if this woman is a survivor or not, you progress through the game, this image creeps onto the screen piece by piece. eventually Mach Rider's been replaced by this woman.

That could mean a number of things really

Kenith

Overkill Sarcasm
NNID
RipoffmanXKTG
3DS FC
4210-4224-9442
However, the usage of the word "representative" gets thrown around aimlessly in my opinion.
I agree with this for the most part, particularly when talking about series like Mario, Pokemon, or Zelda.
However, with some characters, like Little Mac, it's different. Little Mac would be a nobody if he didn't represent Punch-Out, for example.

It would still be Beast Ganon, from Twilight Princess.
I'm pretty sure it was implied somewhere that Beast Ganon is seperate from Pig Ganon.
Either way, Ganon can be his own character with Beast Ganon being a Final Smash.
They look completely different.
If Link has the Master Sword, does that mean that Toon Link has to have his normal Outset Island Sword?
I see your point.

But I feel like Ganondorf and Ganon shouldn't co-exist as Ganondorf doesn't really represent Zelda like Ganon does if they are separate.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom