• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Character Discussion Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

Rockaphin

Smash Champion
NNID
Rockaphin
3DS FC
2595-0113-8473
Dixie and K. Rool are the best choices for a new Donkey Kong character. I personally think it's time to see the generally accepted main antagonist. Dixie however, is a great choice as well. K. Rool hasn't been in the scene for a bit, but he still holds onto his iconic status. Does it matter that much that he hasn't appeared in a while? There have been many characters who have a decent amount of support that have been away for an even longer time.

D

Deleted member

Why don't you check who's on the cover too

Edit: and I know that a lot of them are on it but for then to be on the cover then do the test then talk to you at the end about everything. It means they kinda run the show
And...we're done here.
They make Wario look like a frigging great leader.

robjay13

Smash Rookie
Dixie and K. Rool are the best choices for a new Donkey Kong character. I personally think it's time to see the generally accepted main antagonist. Dixie however, is a great choice as well. K. Rool hasn't been in the scene for a bit, but he still holds onto his iconic status. Does it matter that much that he hasn't appeared in a while? There have been many characters who have a decent amount of support that have been away for an even longer time.
You understand me. *bows*

~Krystal~

True American Heroine
Dixie is a safe choice in my book. I think she's a universally requested character, and you won't find me saying she doesn't deserve it after featuring in two DKC games as a major playable character, with the third named after her.

Last edited:

JamesDNaux

Smash Hero
NNID
JamesDNaux
Relevancy doesn't matter for new franchises or representation. It does matter for new reps for already represented franchises
Diddy Kong's last major appearance in a "main" series DK game was DK64 all the way back in 1999, nearly a decade before he made his playable debut in Brawl. His last appearance in general was just the year before, in Barrel Blast.

King K. Rool's last major appearance was also in DK64, though King K. Rool (and Dixie, oddly enough) both appeared as trophies in Melee, with Diddy only getting a passing mention in Dixie's trophy. K. Rool also appeared in Barrel Blast, just a year before Brawl. His last appearance in general was in Mario Super Sluggers, the same year as Brawl's release.

Relevancy matters to an extent, but fan requests certainly have a large effect. As you mentioned in your rather large post, "retro" series apparently don't count, I'll give you some leeway there, but take into account Mega Man. Mega Man is quite obviously a third party character, one that has been "abandoned" by his own company, similar to K. Rool's situation, yet Mega Man is in Smash nigh solely on fan requests. Sure Mega Man falls under "new series," but that's a new series that requires a lot of legal work and royalty payments, it wasn't as easy as adding someone like R.O.B. or Mr. Game & Watch.

I'll use your previously linked post again, in which you mention Lucario. While a franchise like Pokemon is a completely different beast from Donkey Kong, there is still a valid comparison to be made. While Lucario was indeed added due to "recency," we also got another character in that same game, rather, three characters. The Pokemon Trainer, and his three Pokemon "all the way back from" gen one. Sure you could argue that he represents the generic player character that you still use in newer games, which is true, but he is specifically modeled after the first one, and uses three old Pokemon.

I'm a big fan of our King as well, but I hardly think he's a "shoe-in," I'm honestly dreading the moment he shows up as just a boss, but I do have hope, and I'll continue to have it until he's either confirmed to be playable or not.

robjay13

Smash Rookie
As for returning characters I think that Wario, Ness and C. Falcon have the best chances with Ganondorf and Falco right behind. Game and Watch and R. O. B. Have good chances sinces they are pretty iconic. Meta Knight, being my Favorite, I would love him back, and I think he has a good chance.Ivysaur and Squirtle probably wont return. Snake and Lucas have an ok possibility. I doubt any Melee characters will return (Roy, Young Link, Mewtwo, Dr. Mario, Pichu.) Did I miss anyone?

Con0rrrr

PPMD Kreygasm
NNID
Con0rrrr
3DS FC
4656-6340-0779
Diddy Kong's last major appearance in a "main" series DK game was DK64 all the way back in 1999, nearly a decade before he made his playable debut in Brawl. His last appearance in general was just the year before, in Barrel Blast.

King K. Rool's last major appearance was also in DK64, though King K. Rool (and Dixie, oddly enough) both appeared as trophies in Melee, with Diddy only getting a passing mention in Dixie's trophy. K. Rool also appeared in Barrel Blast, just a year before Brawl. His last appearance in general was in Mario Super Sluggers, the same year as Brawl's release.

Relevancy matters to an extent, but fan requests certainly have a large effect. As you mentioned in your rather large post, "retro" series apparently don't count, I'll give you some leeway there, but take into account Mega Man. Mega Man is quite obviously a third party character, one that has been "abandoned" by his own company, similar to K. Rool's situation, yet Mega Man is in Smash nigh solely on fan requests. Sure Mega Man falls under "new series," but that's a new series that requires a lot of legal work and royalty payments, it wasn't as easy as adding someone like R.O.B. or Mr. Game & Watch.

I'll use your previously linked post again, in which you mention Lucario. While a franchise like Pokemon is a completely different beast from Donkey Kong, there is still a valid comparison to be made. While Lucario was indeed added due to "recency," we also got another character in that same game, rather, three characters. The Pokemon Trainer, and his three Pokemon "all the way back from" gen one. Sure you could argue that he represents the generic player character that you still use in newer games, which is true, but he is specifically modeled after the first one, and uses three old Pokemon.

I'm a big fan of our King as well, but I hardly think he's a "shoe-in," I'm honestly dreading the moment he shows up as just a boss, but I do have hope, and I'll continue to have it until he's either confirmed to be playable or not.
I can't tell what you tried to say with your post. But I guess you agree with me? I love the king and want to be eating my words at launch. But I also want these boards to be more real with themselves as we near launch instead of pretending like K Rool is definitely in. My Rosalina argument in my post is what I consider to be the most valid one.

robjay13

Smash Rookie
I just thought of something: Rosalina has appeared in everything lately. SM3DW, MK8, SSB4, does this mean a new galaxy???

JamesDNaux

Smash Hero
NNID
JamesDNaux
I can't tell what you tried to say with your post. But I guess you agree with me? I love the king and want to be eating my words at launch. But I also want these boards to be more real with themselves as we near launch instead of pretending like K Rool is definitely in. My Rosalina argument in my post is what I consider to be the most valid one.
If I understood you correctly, you basically said "An old character can get in if they are from an unrepresented franchise," and "an old character can't get in if that franchise is already represented." You used Lucario as an example, showing that the new character from the old franchise got in over a big fan request, I pointed out that you seemingly ignored the Pokemon Trainer, three (four, representation wise) old characters who also became playable alongside the new character.

The first part was pointing out that Diddy wasn't exactly a fresh new face in his own franchise when he made it in Brawl, being as his last major appearance was just under a decade before Brawl. Diddy making it in Brawl is an in-franchise example of "old character getting in over new character."

And of course, the part about Mega Man was meant to show that characters do get in on sheer fan request, with no help from recency whatsoever, and not being from a "retro" franchise.

Gene

You're a vegetable
NNID
Fairlight92
3DS FC
3411-0266-8945
But I also want these boards to be more real with themselves as we near launch instead of pretending like K Rool is definitely in.
This is Smashboards. You've already sealed your own fate.

Con0rrrr

PPMD Kreygasm
NNID
Con0rrrr
3DS FC
4656-6340-0779
If I understood you correctly, you basically said "An old character can get in if they are from an unrepresented franchise," and "an old character can't get in if that franchise is already represented." You used Lucario as an example, showing that the new character from the old franchise got in over a big fan request, I pointed out that you seemingly ignored the Pokemon Trainer, three (four, representation wise) old characters who also became playable alongside the new character.

The first part was pointing out that Diddy wasn't exactly a fresh new face in his own franchise when he made it in Brawl, being as his last major appearance was just under a decade before Brawl. Diddy making it in Brawl is an in-franchise example of "old character getting in over new character."

And of course, the part about Mega Man was meant to show that characters do get in on sheer fan request, with no help from recency whatsoever, and not being from a "retro" franchise.
Diddy, however, was relevant due to Mario Kart titles and I believe Diddy Kong Racing DS came out around Brawl. My Rosalina argument is the stronger one.

Spinosaurus

Treasure Hunter
NNID
WarioLand
Well, yeah, because there's no one like K.Rool. Smash characters who haven't appeared in a long time are either characters that bring a whole new series representation (thus bringing diversity to the roster and in turn raise awareness to the series), or they were in Smash before when they appeared recently.

K.Rool hasn't appeared in a DK game in a long time, and the series got newfound popularity with a reboot with him nowhere to be seen. The DKC that actually ARE first party and not outsourced don't have the series' "main" villain. I mean, you could argue Dixie wasn't needed either, but I'd argue she (and Cranky) brought a lot to the game design and brought so much variety to the level design that made the game as good as it is now (the best DKC game, that is). The snowmads were really charming with choke full of detail in their animations that they ended up being my favorite DKC enemies.

But enough gushing about the game. What I'm trying to say is; do we really need a third DK rep? I want Dixie, and wouldn't really mind K.Rool anyway. But do we really need them? And why? DK series is really big now again, but it's because of DK and Diddy and how great the games are, and not because of the characters. DK is the big iconic ape, and Diddy brings the DKC representation in his moveset, so I'm personally content honestly. All Dixie and K.Rool would do is rep themselves, and that's it. I don't want that, and I don't want a character to be added just because they're villains. (And I'm content with the females we got after how bad Brawl was towards that) If it were up to me I'd pick DK Jr as the third DK rep because I really feel arcade DK needs some love, but I guess everyone is glad it's not up to me lol.

Last edited:

BKupa666

Barnacled Boss
New theory: treating "relevance" as this all-encompassing factor is no different from treating character gender as a factor.

No, really, there's no evidence for either, but people throw them around so frequently as if they're the most obvious thing in the world to the point where, in the latter's case, there's an entire thread on here about 'More Females!' It's always, "Let's throw in this character, they're so so relevant!" and "Let's throw in this character because she has breasts and estrogen!" What's more, neither have any impact whatsoever on character uniqueness or gameplay, the actual known factors we've had mentioned time and time again.

I'd go for the "relevance" = "too big" comparison in that people act as though there's a specific-yet-never-clarified line characters can cross where they're "not relevant enough" or "too big," and that single-handedly keeps the character out of the running because heaven forbid precedent ever be broken, but that would be too easy.

Last edited:

Con0rrrr

PPMD Kreygasm
NNID
Con0rrrr
3DS FC
4656-6340-0779
New theory: treating "relevance" as this all-encompassing factor is no different from treating character gender as a factor.

No, really, there's no evidence for either, but people throw them around so frequently as if they're the most obvious thing in the world to the point where, in the latter's case, there's an entire thread on here about 'More Females!' What's more, neither have any impact whatsoever on character uniqueness or gameplay, the actual known factors we've had mentioned time and time again.

I'd go for the "relevance" = "too big" comparison in that people act as though there's a specific-yet-never-clarified line characters can cross where they're "not relevant enough" or "too big," but that would be too easy.
The thing is that relevance has evidence to back it's claim, though it's no way set in stone, it is a definite factor, especially for a character taken out of their reboot. Too big argument makes zero sense as plenty of people have shown models that work for characters like Ridley, and has been disproven by Olimar.

JamesDNaux

Smash Hero
NNID
JamesDNaux
Diddy, however, was relevant due to Mario Kart titles and I believe Diddy Kong Racing DS came out around Brawl. My Rosalina argument is the stronger one.
Diddy Kong was only ever in Double Dash and Wii, DD was nearly five years old by the time Brawl came out, and MKWii came out just before Brawl and had no bearing on his appearance in it. If DD can influence him appearing in Smash, then surely K. Rool playing baseball with Mario a few years back can influence his appearance in Smash 4.

Yes, Rosalina is a good point, but she's in the exact same boat as Lucario was in Brawl, and you seem to be dancing around the fact that three older characters got in before Lucario, who was unlockable. What I'm saying is, I agree that new characters will get in, but that doesn't have any affect on older characters getting in at all. In fact, Pokemon Trainer having a higher priority than Lucario blatantly shows that fan requests and iconic status trumps recency.
The thing is that relevance has evidence to back it's claim, though it's no way set in stone, it is a definite factor, especially for a character taken out of their reboot. Too big argument makes zero sense as plenty of people have shown models that work for characters like Ridley, and has been disproven by Olimar.
Again, ignoring Rosalina for the moment, Pokemon Trainer, the old character, had priority over Lucario, the new character. What does "recency" say to that?

BKupa666

Barnacled Boss
That's partly why I made the comparison, because I can twist the existence of Palutena, Rosalina, Female Wii Fit Trainer, and Female Villager, as well as the additional emphasis placed on Sheik and ZSS, to claim "Sakurai is focusing on female characters this time around." Could you assume such a thing? Yeah, sure, but there's nothing concrete supporting that other than me just repeating that "Yes, it's a factor! Yes it is!"

And yet there's always an 'out' detractors use with those models, is there not? You point out how there's precedent in a character being resized, and there's always the insidious responses of "He uses magic to be resized! He's the only character from his series so it's okay! He's a friggin' turtle!" Same with "relevance". . .there's always some excuse for why it's okay with other characters to miss a game or two and be added, but not K. Rool.

Last edited:

Leafeon523

Smash Ace
NNID
Leafeon523
3DS FC
2466-1607-7000
I just thought of something: Rosalina has appeared in everything lately. SM3DW, MK8, SSB4, does this mean a new galaxy???
Majora's mask has been in everything too. Link between worlds, Club Nintendo's 2013 reward, Skull Kid Assist,... yet no Majora's mask 3d. It seems more like they just are making references at this point. Also, Mario has always been lacking human characters anyway. I feel like they want to add another human to the main cast.

Con0rrrr

PPMD Kreygasm
NNID
Con0rrrr
3DS FC
4656-6340-0779
Diddy Kong was only ever in Double Dash and Wii, DD was nearly five years old by the time Brawl came out, and MKWii came out just before Brawl and had no bearing on his appearance in it. If DD can influence him appearing in Smash, then surely K. Rool playing baseball with Mario a few years back can influence his appearance in Smash 4.

Yes, Rosalina is a good point, but she's in the exact same boat as Lucario was in Brawl, and you seem to be dancing around the fact that three older characters got in before Lucario, who was unlockable. What I'm saying is, I agree that new characters will get in, but that doesn't have any affect on older characters getting in at all. In fact, Pokemon Trainer having a higher priority than Lucario blatantly shows that fan requests and iconic status trumps recency.

Again, ignoring Rosalina for the moment, Pokemon Trainer, the old character, had priority over Lucario, the new character. What does "recency" say to that?
I'm not understanding your point. How was Pokemon Trainer prioritized when Pokemon Trainer was cut from Smash 4 but Lucario still is? They were both in Brawl. The Pokemon Trainer and his pokemon are more iconic that K Rool, but I do see where you are coming from with your argument, I just don't think it is enough to say that K Rool has a fighting chance against Dixie.

Con0rrrr

PPMD Kreygasm
NNID
Con0rrrr
3DS FC
4656-6340-0779
That's partly why I made the comparison, because I can twist the existence of Palutena, Rosalina, Female Wii Fit Trainer, and Female Villager, as well as the additional emphasis placed on Sheik and ZSS, to claim "Sakurai is focusing on female characters this time around." Could you assume such a thing? Yeah, sure, but there's nothing concrete supporting that other than me just repeating that "Yes, it's a factor! Yes it is!"

And yet there's always an 'out' detractors use with those models, is there not? You point out how there's precedent in a character being resized, and there's always the insidious responses of "He uses magic to be resized! He's the only character from his series so it's okay! He's a friggin' turtle!" Same with "relevance". . .there's always some excuse for why it's okay with other characters to miss a game or two and be added, but not K. Rool.
But in a way aren't the arguments for K Rool being in the game just as twisted and stretched? He is a wanted character, but that doesn't make him a shoe in, unless I say it does? Kremlings are in Smash Run, but that doesn't make K Rool playable, unless I say it does.

I certainly see where you are coming from, I just don't see how it helps any argument that K Rool is a character with any priority on the roster, especially over Dixie.

Can you think of a better reason for why K. Rool wouldn't get in?
I think the evidence against him, as already stated by many, far outweighs the evidence for him, which just seems to be "he deserves to be".

Last edited:

Spinosaurus

Treasure Hunter
NNID
WarioLand
Charizard IS universally iconic. It's not even comparable.

It makes absolute sense why he'd come back, but not the other two. (and balancing issues and what not) I don't like it, but whatever.

Last edited:

JamesDNaux

Smash Hero
NNID
JamesDNaux
I'm not understanding your point. How was Pokemon Trainer prioritized when Pokemon Trainer was cut from Smash 4 but Lucario still is? They were both in Brawl. The Pokemon Trainer and his pokemon are more iconic that K Rool, but I do see where you are coming from with your argument, I just don't think it is enough to say that K Rool has a fighting chance against Dixie.
It almost seems like you're doing this on purpose.

I'm talking about Brawl, where Lucario and Pokemon Trainer were both newcomers, which is what you were referring to in the first place. Example: Dixie has a higher chance than King K. Rool because she was in a recent game and K. Rool was not.

Counter example: Lucario and Pokemon Trainer both got in, however Pokemon Trainer was a higher priority newcomer.

K. Rool getting in has nothing to do with PT getting cut, characters joining and characters leaving are completely different subjects.

Spinosaurus

Treasure Hunter
NNID
WarioLand
Counter example: Lucario and Pokemon Trainer both got in, however Pokemon Trainer was a higher priority newcomer.
Actually, if we're going with that, then FR/LG were the most recent games when Brawl's roster was decided.

Lucario was in a similar situation to Greninja back then, but Game Freak were really pushing for him to be popular. (And succeeded.)

BKupa666

Barnacled Boss
Another item I'll point out: sure, you can point to the retro characters and say "Oh, it's okay that they aren't in any new games because they have the 'retro' label." But think for a moment about why there's so much hullabaloo about "relevance" in the first place. . .to take a stab, it's some combination of "new gamers will know them" and "they can promote things." Retro characters can do neither of those, but they're still added as unique characters with significance to portions of Nintendo's history. The same principle can absolutely apply to K. Rool if Sakurai wants it to.

But in a way aren't the arguments for K Rool being in the game just as twisted and stretched? He is a wanted character, but that doesn't make him a shoe in, unless I say it does? Kremlings are in Smash Run, but that doesn't make K Rool playable, unless I say it does.

I certainly see where you are coming from, I just don't see how it helps any argument that K Rool is a character with any priority on the roster, especially over Dixie.

I think the evidence against him, as already stated by many, far outweighs the evidence for him, which just seems to be "he deserves to be".
It doesn't make him a shoo-in; very, very few people are saying this, especially after "bottom of the barrel of videos" bit from Friday. Aside from the known factors that apply for K. Rool and keep him a contender, a lot of that is guesswork relating to the Kritters and "Large Kremling" in Smash Run. They've never been used as enemy mooks without him involved somehow (mooks, not spin-off cameos), and they're the only Nintendo enemy to my knowledge to not be in the newest game in their series, so people hypothesize based off of that. Yeah, some people desperate for any news on K. Rool probably blow it out of proportion, but it's certainly worth looking into in any case.

Con0rrrr

PPMD Kreygasm
NNID
Con0rrrr
3DS FC
4656-6340-0779
It almost seems like you're doing this on purpose.

I'm talking about Brawl, where Lucario and Pokemon Trainer were both newcomers, which is what you were referring to in the first place. Example: Dixie has a higher chance than King K. Rool because she was in a recent game and K. Rool was not.

K. Rool getting in has nothing to do with PT getting cut, characters joining and characters leaving are completely different subjects.
Pokemon Trainer is a weird case, and I don't think anyone will deny that. The way I see it is that Pokemon Trainer is for sure relevant. No one expected him, but people generally accepted him. Pokemon Trainer, as well as those pokemon have been in every pokemon leading up to Brawl, and still are. With K Rool, he has not been in the reboots of his franchise, which is where you would refer to when looking for DKC representation now. A character being left out of their franchise is a huge deal, and people here seem to downplay that. Yet they upplay things such as Kremlings.

It doesn't make him a shoo-in; very, very few people are saying this, especially after "bottom of the barrel of videos" bit from Friday. Aside from the known factors that apply for K. Rool and keep him a contender, a lot of that is guesswork relating to the Kritters and "Large Kremling" in Smash Run. They've never been used as enemy mooks without him involved somehow (mooks, not spin-off cameos), and they're the only Nintendo enemy to my knowledge to not be in the newest game in their series, so people hypothesize based off of that. Yeah, some people desperate for any news on K. Rool probably blow it out of proportion, but it's certainly worth looking into in any case.
I agree with you here. The things I am presenting are to those who claim that K Rool has a for sure role in this game. To those who blow stuff out of proportion.

Last edited:

Mario & Sonic Guy

Old rivalries live on!
NNID
TPitch5
3DS FC
5327-1637-5096
Actually, if we're going with that, then FR/LG were the most recent games when Brawl's roster was decided.

Lucario was in a similar situation to Greninja back then, but Game Freak were really pushing for him to be popular. (And succeeded.)
The odd part is that Lucario has had more anime involvement than Greninja, so Greninja's popularity probably came from the fact that players often like to choose Froakie as their starter in X/Y.

SomewhatMystia

Smash Lord
NNID
SomewhatMystia
3DS FC
2750-1555-1721
Speaking of the bottom of the barrel quote, does anyone think that the Gematsu 3 are the last ones left, or do we have a few surprises in store? I'm definitely feeling the former, but I'd kill to get a few unleaked newcomers.

Spinosaurus

Treasure Hunter
NNID
WarioLand
The odd part is that Lucario has had more anime involvement than Greninja, so Greninja's popularity probably came from the fact that players often like to choose Froakie as their starter in X/Y.
Not even that actually, because Greninja's popularity was coincidental. Sakurai confirmed in the roundtables that Greninja's slot was a placeholder until Game Freak sent him concept arts of some X/Y Pokemon and he chose Greninja based on his design alone. Smash doesn't have a traditional Japanese styled ninja (Sheik isn't one), so I guess it's understandable. It's why Greninja's moveset lacks notable Pokemon moves beyond Water Shuriken (in the concept art) and substitute (It's a ninja, lol).

X/Y doesn't have its own Lucario or Pikachu, so I doubt Game Freak really cared who Sakurai went with. Seems like they just wanted X/Y representation being the new generation and all.

Last edited:

Mario & Sonic Guy

Old rivalries live on!
NNID
TPitch5
3DS FC
5327-1637-5096
X/Y doesn't have its own Lucario or Pikachu, so I doubt Game Freak really cared who Sakurai went with. Seems like they just wanted X/Y representation being the new generation and all.
On the contrary, Lucario is a gift to you after you've gotten the Mega Ring. Of all the confirmed Pokemon reps, only Pikachu could be caught in the wild in X/Y. Of course, you could also catch a Riolu, and evolve it to get Lucario.

Spinosaurus

Treasure Hunter
NNID
WarioLand
On the contrary, Lucario is a gift to you after you've gotten the Mega Ring. Of all the confirmed Pokemon reps, only Pikachu could be caught in the wild in X/Y. Of course, you could also catch a Riolu, and evolve it to get Lucario.
I think you misunderstood me there. I meant an X/Y Pokemon of their caliber, which doesn't really exist. :p

Though I never realized all confirmed Pokemon are available in X/Y. Jigglypuff and Mewtwo, too.

Last edited:

JamesDNaux

Smash Hero
NNID
JamesDNaux
Pokemon Trainer is a weird case, and I don't think anyone will deny that. The way I see it is that Pokemon Trainer is for sure relevant. No one expected him, but people generally accepted him. Pokemon Trainer, as well as those pokemon have been in every pokemon leading up to Brawl, and still are. With K Rool, he has not been in the reboots of his franchise, which is where you would refer to when looking for DKC representation now. A character being left out of their franchise is a huge deal, and people here seem to downplay that.
Pokemon Trainer was actually a big request, if my memory is correct. But even if you want to make excuses by calling him a "weird case," there is still plenty of evidence to debunk "recency." SSB64, Luigi was added as a character despite being missing from Super Mario 64, and just being a pallet swap of Mario for player two in all of his previous appearances. In Melee we got Mewtwo and Pichu, another pair of old and new, also from Pokemon, Mewtwo was a completely new character while Pichu was a clone added at the last minute, where was "recency" then? Again in Melee, Falco was added over Wolf for the sole fact that he looked more different from Fox, while Wolf was the more recent character who was considered for Melee. Melee once more, Marth appeared as the Fire Emblem rep, he was the first protagonist in a very old game, while Roy, the extremely new guy, was again added solely as roster padding clone material. In Brawl, instead of the newest Star Fox character, Krystal, Wolf got in because he was more requested. Coming back to this game, I again bring up Mega Man, he doesn't fall under retro, he has no new games to promote with any sort of "recency," he's completely based on his NES appearance, and he got in because of fan request, and he's third party.

Yes, we get new characters, but we also get old characters at the same time. And I don't mean "retro" characters.

Arcanir

An old friend evolved
NNID
Shoryu91
3DS FC
4253-4855-5860
There's many fans of Ridley out there. Just not as many as in the West as you said. But Dixie is just as requested if not more than K Rool in Japan as well
There are fans of Ridley overseas, but not nearly as many. Pretty much the only time he comes up is basically as "that one character the west likes so much."

Dixie is also pretty requested, but King K. Rool was beating her in that regard in Japan back in 2012 when the roster was being finalized.

Actually, Emerald was the most recent as it came out in 2005, a year before the roster was finalized for Brawl. DP did come out that same year, but it was after the finalization by a few months, unlike XY, which came out a full year after the roster was decided in 2012.

Last edited:

Morbi

Scavenger
Pokemon Trainer was actually a big request, if my memory is correct. But even if you want to make excuses by calling him a "weird case," there is still plenty of evidence to debunk "recency." SSB64, Luigi was added as a character despite being missing from Super Mario 64, and just being a pallet swap of Mario for player two in all of his previous appearances. In Melee we got Mewtwo and Pichu, another pair of old and new, also from Pokemon, Mewtwo was a completely new character while Pichu was a clone added at the last minute, where was "recency" then? Again in Melee, Falco was added over Wolf for the sole fact that he looked more different from Fox, while Wolf was the more recent character who was considered for Melee. Melee once more, Marth appeared as the Fire Emblem rep, he was the first protagonist in a very old game, while Roy, the extremely new guy, was again added solely as roster padding clone material. In Brawl, instead of the newest Star Fox character, Krystal, Wolf got in because he was more requested. Coming back to this game, I again bring up Mega Man, he doesn't fall under retro, he has no new games to promote with any sort of "recency," he's completely based on his NES appearance, and he got in because of fan request, and he's third party.

Yes, we get new characters, but we also get old characters at the same time. And I don't mean "retro" characters.
Are you seriously attempting to objectively refute "recency" with a few examples of when it has not applied? It is always going to be a contributing factor to inclusion, but it is never going to be the sole reason that a character was added. Period.

ShadowMarth14

Smash Cadet
NNID
SuperSmashBro801
Does anybody think that Chrom might have a chance? I sure hope so, although his playstyle will have to be between Marth and Ike...maybe Roy?:roymelee: :?:

Oz37

Smash Journeyman
NNID
smozzy
Well, all 4 currently confirmed aren't just playable, but actually featured in X/Y. Greninja and Charizard are both given to you as starters, Lucario is supposedly the first mega-evolving Pokémon and a specific one is given to you after you bond/fight with it, and Pikachu is, well, Pikachu. He's forever relevant. I dunno if this is what is being said and I'm just reiterating, I just didn't see it said plainly.

As far as Monday is concerned, I'm ready to see one of the Gematsu 3, but I want to see someone unexpected. Like Isaac. Or Dixie Kong. Or even Ridley. Or Captain Toad. <----------

Morbi

Scavenger
Does anybody think that Chrom might have a chance? I sure hope so, although his playstyle will have to be between Marth and Ike...maybe Roy?:roymelee: :?:
I do indeed believe that Chrom might have a chance. I try to remain objective, every character has a chance. Albeit, Chrom has a more feasible chance than say, Kaepora Gaebora.

Spinosaurus

Treasure Hunter
NNID
WarioLand
Actually, Emerald was the most recent as it came out in 2005, a year before the roster was finalized for Brawl. DP did come out the same year as Brawl's roster being finalized, but it was after the fact by a few months, unlike XY, which came out a full year after if the roster was decided in 2012.
Yikes, I completely forgot Emerald came out after FR/LG. My bad then.

Wonder if Sakurai went with Lucario himself or if Game Freak pushed for him to be in. I wouldn't be surprised at the latter, as he was everywhere.

SomewhatMystia

Smash Lord
NNID
SomewhatMystia
3DS FC
2750-1555-1721
I'd say that Chrom is all but guaranteed at this point, but not likely to be announced on Monday. I just hope that he's different enough to warrant three blue-haired swordsmen from Fire Emblem.

JamesDNaux

Smash Hero
NNID
JamesDNaux
Are you seriously attempting to objectively refute "recency" with a few examples of when it has not applied? It is always going to be a contributing factor to inclusion, but it is never going to be the sole reason that a character was added. Period.
No, I'm trying to prove a point that "recency" isn't the sole deciding factor of the entire roster. He was saying that a character couldn't get in if they hadn't had any recent appearances, while there was a newer character standing in their way. Rather, more often than not, both the old and new character get in, but there are also cases of older characters getting in over newer charcters.

As simply put as possible, yes, characters get in because "shiny new!" but that has no bearing on older characters getting in.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom