• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Character Discussion Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

ShadowMarth14

Smash Cadet
NNID
SuperSmashBro801
Exactly. He wouldn't have enough time. Lucas is the (sadly, as a Lucas main) least necessary character from Brawl, and would get cut if Sakurai does not have enough time to put in the rest of the characters. Time constraints, right?
I don't think thats true. Remember, all playable characters were chosen at the beginning of development, possibly because Sakurai wants to make sure that he will have enough time to finish them all. So if Lucas was chosen at the beginning of development, hes guaranteed.
Everyone thought Ike would be cut, but he's back.:4myfriends:

Opossum

Thread Title Changer
BRoomer
NNID
OpossumGuy
3DS FC
4742-4911-3431
Switch FC
SW 2859 6322 5208
Lucas never had any transformations though, so I don't see any reason for why he should be cut, especially since Ike managed to come back.
As far as objective reasons, it's unclear at this point. To add though, Lucas is much more like Ness is than Ike is like Marth. Lucas wasn't a complete clone (far from it), but similarities were there. Perhaps that was enough for Sakurai to deem him unnecessary/low priority.

Oz37

Smash Journeyman
NNID
smozzy
Just because starters were never cut in the span of three games doesn't mean it will never happen.

I mean, it's only three games. Patterns will be broken.

Well customization exists.

I'm sure Ness would have Lucas's specials as custom moves and vice versa.
If Lucas is indeed cut, I think it will be because of this. To have two characters with similar moves is one thing (that people already go into conniptions over), but to have two characters with such similar moves that each have 3 customizations on them is just getting ridiculously redundant. Toon Link is an exception, in my mind, because he is visually extremely different and represents a solid half of a hugely iconic franchise.

However, all that applies to Lucas here also applies to Falco... (and even, dare I say it... Ganondorf...)

TumblrFamous

Smash Hero
Switch FC
SW-8429-6803-3691
I don't think thats true. Remember, all playable characters were chosen at the beginning of development, possibly because Sakurai wants to make sure that he will have enough time to finish them all. So if Lucas was chosen at the beginning of development, hes guaranteed.
Everyone thought Ike would be cut, but he's back.:4myfriends:
Mewtwo, Roy, and Dr. Mario were chosen at the beginning of development because Sakurai thought he had enough time, so they're guaranteed-- oh wait.

Opossum

Thread Title Changer
BRoomer
NNID
OpossumGuy
3DS FC
4742-4911-3431
Switch FC
SW 2859 6322 5208
If Lucas is indeed cut, I think it will be because of this. To have two characters with similar moves is one thing (that people already go into conniptions over), but to have two characters with such similar moves that each have 3 customizations on them is just getting ridiculously redundant. Toon Link is an exception, in my mind, because he is visually extremely different and represents a solid half of a hugely iconic franchise.

However, all that applies to Lucas here also applies to Falco... (and even, dare I say it... Ganondorf...)
While I somewhat agree with Falco, Ganondorf's in a league of his own as far as iconicness. He's in no danger.

queenrosetta

Smash Apprentice
Sorry I left mid conversation everybody!! I lost wifi how tragic. But I think we beat all these topics into the ground lol including gematsu and k rool.

What I think would be hilarious and amazing. Is if sal gets info right before the direct like what has happened before and tells us a couple new characters. I don't expect it but I think it'd be amazing

ShadowMarth14

Smash Cadet
NNID
SuperSmashBro801
Mewtwo, Roy, and Dr. Mario were chosen at the beginning of development because Sakurai thought he had enough time, so they're guaranteed-- oh wait.
Isn't it also a possibility that those 3 were unused because Sakurai decided against them? Well...maybe not Mewtwo and Roy.

TumblrFamous

Smash Hero
Switch FC
SW-8429-6803-3691
Isn't it also a possibility that those 3 were unused because Sakurai decided against them? Well...maybe not Mewtwo and Roy.
Why would he take the time to start developing them and then immediately just decide "nope, never mind"? There's no way he started development and then decided against them, whilst in development.

Mario & Sonic Guy

Old rivalries live on!
NNID
TPitch5
3DS FC
5327-1637-5096
As far as objective reasons, it's unclear at this point. To add though, Lucas is much more like Ness is than Ike is like Marth. Lucas wasn't a complete clone (far from it), but similarities were there. Perhaps that was enough for Sakurai to deem him unnecessary/low priority.
It still seems dumb to cut Lucas, considering that Toon Link is similar to Link, and yet he returned. Likewise, Falco's specials are similar to Fox's.

Oz37

Smash Journeyman
NNID
smozzy
While I somewhat agree with Falco, Ganondorf's in a league of his own as far as iconicness. He's in no danger.
Oh, I agree about Ganondorf. I'm sure (as sure as I ever get when speculating, that is) that he'll be back; I'm just making comment that if Lucas or anyone else is cut because of redundancy but Ganondorf stays the same, Lucy's gonna have some 'splanin to do. (cookies for getting my references)

Last edited:

Mario & Sonic Guy

Old rivalries live on!
NNID
TPitch5
3DS FC
5327-1637-5096
You forget Toon Link's importance to the Zelda series, it's probably the reason why Toon Link returned.
Lucas is a main protagonist himself though, and Mother 3 is a mainstream game as well. Sure, the franchise may be dead, but keeping Lucas around would at least maintain some dignity for it.

Opossum

Thread Title Changer
BRoomer
NNID
OpossumGuy
3DS FC
4742-4911-3431
Switch FC
SW 2859 6322 5208
It still seems dumb to cut Lucas, considering that Toon Link is similar to Link, and yet he returned. Likewise, Falco's specials are similar to Fox's.
You can blame Sakurai's views on the necessity of a Child Link for that. :p

But regardless, whether or not it's dumb, it's more than likely happening. Poor Lucas. :/ Ah well, there's DLC for that.

Oh, I agree about Ganondorf. I'm sure (as sure as I ever get when speculating, that is) that he'll be back; I'm just making comment that if Lucas or anyone else is cut because of redundancy but Ganondorf stays the same, Lucy's gonna have some 'splanin to do. (cookies for getting my references)
I Love Lucy for Smash.

If that's indeed why Lucas was dropped, I can see some of Ganondorf's specials getting a revamp at least.

ShadowMarth14

Smash Cadet
NNID
SuperSmashBro801
Why would he take the time to start developing them and then immediately just decide "nope, never mind"? There's no way he started development and then decided against them, whilst in development.
I'm just tossing assumptions around. Maybe it seemed like a good idea at one point.:confused:

Mr. Keebs

Luiginator
NNID
Elf-Master
3DS FC
2921-9429-2474
If the Chorus Boys are announced as characters, I'm totally going to main them!

Mario & Sonic Guy

Old rivalries live on!
NNID
TPitch5
3DS FC
5327-1637-5096
You can blame Sakurai's views on the necessity of a Child Link for that. :p

But regardless, whether or not it's dumb, it's more than likely happening. Poor Lucas. :/ Ah well, there's DLC for that.
You can probably tell why I hate leaks, because they make people think that everything is set in stone, when in truth, we can't really predict the future at all.

Shroob

Sup?
I think you guys are looking at the Lucas issue in the wrong light.

Let's say the Sal leak is what we're getting and that the roster is 47 characters.

Now, why would Lucas be cut? Well, look at every character we have. What do they have in common?

All of them have had their games in more than just Japan, even Marth counts with Shadow Dragon on DS.

Lucas is a lot like Roy. His game never came stateside, while EVERY OTHER character in Brawl/Melee was international, and if the Sal leak is true, every character in it will be international as well. Marth was the same for awhile, until Shadow Dragon DS.

Last edited:

Spinosaurus

Treasure Hunter
NNID
WarioLand
If the Chorus Boys are announced as characters, I'm totally going to main them!
Not gonna main them because Wario will forever hold that spot, but I'll use them.

Wario, Snake, Little Mac and Chorus Kids. That's four (five, because wario land) of my favorite video game franchises.

Opossum

Thread Title Changer
BRoomer
NNID
OpossumGuy
3DS FC
4742-4911-3431
Switch FC
SW 2859 6322 5208
You can probably tell why I hate leaks, because they make people think that everything is set in stone, when in truth, we can't really predict the future at all.
It may not be set in stone, but considering how well this one holds up, it should probably be taken as basically fact at this point.

Captain Fun

Smash Lord
Is it wrong that I believe the Gematsu leak is fake because of them predicting Lucas isn't returning? Just asking because cutting any character at this point, especially Lucas, is a little dumb.
A little. I remember when Brawl's roster was leaked people cried foul on the leak. "PFFFF no way in hell would they cut Mewtwo." And "there's no way Sakurai would disappoint us like that. Mewtwo is a completely original character and fan-favorite." The fact of the matter is...well yes, he could.

Whether or not Lucas is cut remains to be seen since it was only brought up as a possibility. Even then, the wording of "get the cut" isn't even entirely clear.

Last edited:

Mr. Keebs

Luiginator
NNID
Elf-Master
3DS FC
2921-9429-2474
Found the image of the leak.

Personally, this is my favorite leak. Just the irony of this dude potentially being the one to leak info. So if I'm a little too nice to it, just know it is because I find it hilarious

It still may have been though. Maybe something seperate but connected? I dont know. My brain works weird. But for some reason it lines up that info with this leak. Stupid brain
Like dude, like this leak, like, I **** you not dude, sounds like this dude needs to like retake like 5th grade grammar class dude. I'm sorry I can't take this leak seriously because I can't take the way he "speaks" seriously.
I still have faith in the Chorus Boys though!

Jason the Yoshi

Watching Me, Wanting Me
A little. I remember when Brawl's roster was leaked people cried foul on the leak. "PFFFF no way in hell would they cut Mewtwo." And "There's no way Sakurai would disappoint us like that. Mewtwo is a completely original character and fan-favorite." The fact of the matter is...well yes, he could.

Whether or not Lucas is cut remains to be seen since it was only brought up as a possibility. Even then, the wording of "get the cut" isn't even entirely clear.
I know it wasn't entirely clear, but honestly, I don't consider Mewtwo as guaranteed to return, nor would do cry if he don't make it. Overall, yes, Lucas being cut is my biggest doubt at this point.

Last edited:

Captain Fun

Smash Lord
I know it wasn't entirely clear, but honestly, I don't consider Mewtwo as guaranteed to return, nor would do cry if he don't make it.
Neither do I. I was trying to draw a comparison between your statement and the reaction to the Brawl leak. Basically I don't think it's a good idea to dismiss it just because a fan favorite character could possible be cut, because people did the same for the Brawl leak which said Mewtwo was cut.

FlareHabanero

Banned via Warnings
I find the "Mewtwo is a fan favorite" thing to be deceptive, considering there was a lot of people upset over how unorthodox Mewtwo was, to the point where people started petitions to keep it out in Brawl.

Which is why I constantly remark that people wanting Mewtwo back almost feels like a form of pity.

Last edited:

Shroob

Sup?
But yes, if Lucas is to be cut, I feel like it'll mainly be due to him being stuck as a Japanese-exclusive game. If the Sal leak is all we're getting, then every character has been international, and I think this is what Sakurai is aiming for. International characters are more recognizable than ones exclusive to one country, which is why I feel like we'll never get Mike Jones or Takamaru.

Mr. Keebs

Luiginator
NNID
Elf-Master
3DS FC
2921-9429-2474
Dark Pit will be revealed monday. i can see it
Hmm, that would be quite the surprise. I'd also be disappointed if that's ALL we got Monday. How would he not be a clone? I see Dark Pit as being just an alternate skin for Pit.

Morbi

Scavenger
It may not be set in stone, but considering how well this one holds up, it should probably be taken as basically fact at this point.
No it should not. It will be treated as fact once it is fact, there is not a logical reason to "essentially" treat it as fact. In fact, we should treat it as false until it is proven to be true because it is a LEAK. Technically, each and every leak that asserts that their leak pertains to the Gematsu leak would have to (essentially) be treated as fact in that event. You can see why that is fallacious, no doubt.

Opossum

Thread Title Changer
BRoomer
NNID
OpossumGuy
3DS FC
4742-4911-3431
Switch FC
SW 2859 6322 5208
"Goomba's going to be playable in Smash! Sal Romano said so!"
And if he said it, I'd probably believe it. He's been spot on so far, so I don't see what you're trying to say here.

If you're saying that people believe anything they read, that's wrong. It doesn't fit this case. We have reason to believe Sal. Therefore, this pitiful attempt to undermine that makes no sense.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom