• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Character Discussion Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

Reginleif

Smash Ace
I don't believe in DLC characters. I mean it's a good thing for more characters but I can't see how they'll make it work. And will they announce DLC characters? Will they get trailers? How will they all fit in the screen? What's the point of all that additional, multiplying hard work if it's just gonna be a cheap DLC that not everyone's going to get. They're better off including all the characters in the game and getting more people to buy the whole thing instead rather than the DLC alone.

Spinosaurus

Treasure Hunter
NNID
WarioLand
I don't believe in DLC characters. I mean it's a good thing for more characters but I can't see how they'll make it work. And will they announce DLC characters? Will they get trailers? How will they all fit in the screen? What's the point of all that additional, multiplying hard work if it's just gonna be a cheap DLC that not everyone's going to get. They're better off including all the characters in the game and getting more people to buy the whole thing instead rather than the DLC alone.
Seems like you're unfamiliar with modern fighters like Street Fighter and Tekken.

DLC characters in these game typically get trailers yes, with a notice that they're DLC and that you need to get them separately. Some are free (Tekken) because they weren't in originally due to time constraints, some you need to pay for. (most fighters)

Killer Instinct is even a F2P fighter where you have to buy each character separately. People shrugged it off as being stupid and won't be taken seriously, but hey, it's at EVO right now, and it's a really good game too. I'm seeing DLC characters at EVO too. There was a really good Shuma Gorath player in the UMVC3 pools!

Last edited:

Reginleif

Smash Ace
Seems like you're unfamiliar with modern fighters like Street Fighter and Tekken.

DLC characters in these game typically get trailers yes, with a notice that they're DLC and that you need to get them separately. Some are free (Tekken) because they weren't in originally due to time constraints, some you need to pay for. (most fighters)

Killer Instinct is even a F2P fighter where you have to buy each character separately. People shrugged it off as being stupid and won't be taken seriously, but hey, it's at EVO right now, and it's a really good game too. I'm seeing DLC characters at EVO too. There was a really good Shuma Gorath player in the UMVC3 pools!
I am unfamiliar with those games.

I guess more questions I have are.. how many DLC characters will there be? If only 3-5 wouldn't it be more beneficial for Nintendo to just include them in the game? Or will there just be DLC characters rolling in indefinitely until the next Smash Bros?

Spinosaurus

Treasure Hunter
NNID
WarioLand
I guess more questions I have are.. how many DLC characters will there be? If only 3-5 wouldn't it be more beneficial for Nintendo to just include them in the game? Or will there just be DLC characters rolling in indefinitely until the next Smash Bros?
It's more because of time constraints, or they're just that greedy. They can gain more from it, which is money.

Or they could be free, but AFAIK only Harada was generous enough to do it with Tekken. Guy added every possible requested character he could add in the game with the rest as free DLC because fans were super demanding, but the game unfortunately didn't sell well enough in the end. It just shows you that adding heavily requested characters doesn't do crap in selling games, and Harada stressed himself for nothing. The best selling Tekken games that isn't Tekken Tag Tournament 1 had few of these requested characters.

Last edited:

Bedoop

Poyon
NNID
$50.00 / $??.??
3DS FC
0877-1726-4217
Someone from the King K. Rool thread says their friend has spotted Chunky Kong as an Assist Trophy, and said friend is looking through the footage they managed to grab, and will try and get an image of Chunky Kong for the King K. Rool thread guy.
Thiscouldbeit.

Zzuxon

Smash Champion
NNID
zzuxon
3DS FC
3695-0453-0481
Will the existence of Bigfoot Chunky finally be confirmed?

Con0rrrr

PPMD Kreygasm
NNID
Con0rrrr
3DS FC
4656-6340-0779
Someone from the King K. Rool thread says their friend has spotted Chunky Kong as an Assist Trophy, and said friend is looking through the footage they managed to grab, and will try and get an image of Chunky Kong for the King K. Rool thread guy.
Thiscouldbeit.
Even if Chunky's there, it does just as much as Kremlings did, nothing. This is definently not it.

queenrosetta

Smash Apprentice
Thiscouldbeit.
Just like the guy from the boards who said that he saw palutena as an assist trophy and animal crossing villagers fs as bees.
Not to be rude but I'll believe it when I see it bc people can make up anything to benefit their arguments

Con0rrrr

PPMD Kreygasm
NNID
Con0rrrr
3DS FC
4656-6340-0779
What? Kremlings helped k rool so I don't get what you mean
K Rool has been given no recognition. Until I see K Rool I won't believe a thing. The only reason people claim stuff like this "confirms or helps" K Rool is because he is an extremely wanted character. No one would care if it was not K Rool. So a lot of the "evidence" for him is extremely over exaggerated especially on these boards.

Kremlings have been characters in games K Rool hasn't, also when searching for a grunt type enemy for Smash Run, Kremlings filled that niche, it makes sense. Just, because people like K Rool so much, they twist it and claim it's evidence for his playability. It's possibility that it's evidence for him being in (that's a stretch) but that doesn't mean playable.

I've already argued about K Rool enough on this thread. I don't want to explain again.

Last edited:

domokl

Smash Lord
K Rool has been given no recognition. Until I see K Rool I won't believe a thing. The only reason people claim stuff like this "confirms or helps" K Rool is because he is an extremely wanted character. No one would care if it was not K Rool. So a lot of the "evidence" for him is extremely over exaggerated especially on these boards.

Kremlings have been characters in games K Rool hasn't, also when searching for a grunt type enemy for Smash Run, Kremlings filled that niche, it makes sense. Just, because people like K Rool so much, they twist it and claim it's evidence for his playability. It's possibility that it's evidence for him being in (that's a stretch) but that doesn't mean playable.

I've already argued about K Rool enough on this thread. I don't want to explain again.
Except the kremlings have never appeared in a game without him and the kremling boss that's probably not him is present. Saying we are exagerating is pure bs

queenrosetta

Smash Apprentice
Except the kremlings have never appeared in a game without him and the kremling boss that's probably not him is present. Saying we are exagerating is pure bs
Super Mario strikers
I feel like I say this every page

And if it points to anything it points to another dk character and Dixie is most likely the next in line as she was planned for brawl. But I'm not gonna argue this again bc it has been the same arguments for the past couple days

Last edited:

Shroob

Sup?
The Tikis have never appeared in a game without their leader.

Tiki Tong confirmed?

Con0rrrr

PPMD Kreygasm
NNID
Con0rrrr
3DS FC
4656-6340-0779
It's not bs. That's the main reason I don't post in the K Rool thread. A lot of it is grasping straws. I love K Rool, but there's no real signs that point to him being playable. It's all overshadowed by the fact that he has been forgotten by his own series.

They've appeared without K Rool multiple times, Mario Strikers Charged comes to mind

Hong

The Strongest
I would like to lend words to encouragement to those that don't want Chorus Men or Chrom that until we see them in a working form dated past 2014, they are not confirmed. I would never deny that information was leaked, but that doesn't mean it's current.

I would have said the same for Shulk prior to yesterday, but well, you know.

domokl

Smash Lord
It's not bs. That's the main reason I don't post in the K Rool thread. A lot of it is grasping straws. I love K Rool, but there's no real signs that point to him being playable. It's all overshadowed by the fact that he has been forgotten by his own series.

They've appeared without K Rool multiple times, Mario Strikers Charged comes to mind
One time that was a spinoff so your mutiple comment is false.

Shroob

Sup?
Why does this matter? Kremlings are being present helps k rool as he hasn't appeared in a while too. Not that hard to see
Why does it matter? You're contradicting yourself. You shrug off Strikers as being unimportant by saying it's not in the DK series, but then when presented with Smash not being part of the DK series you say "Why does it matter"?

You sir, are a hypocrite.

Con0rrrr

PPMD Kreygasm
NNID
Con0rrrr
3DS FC
4656-6340-0779
Why does this matter? Kremlings are being present helps k rool as he hasn't appeared in a while too. Not that hard to see
But it doesn't mean playable, nor does it guarantee he is even in. They are basic grunt type characters, easily put into the game. Walk, punch, die. Those are all the animations they need. And they want good enemy representation from all franchises, so it was an obvious pic.

False Sense

Ad Astra Per Aspera
NNID
FalseSense
3DS FC
3368-2599-3209

So, are we claiming that the Kremlings are in Smash Run because of Mario Strikers Charged?

Con0rrrr

PPMD Kreygasm
NNID
Con0rrrr
3DS FC
4656-6340-0779
One time that was a spinoff so your mutiple comment is false.
Okay, then if you don't count spinoffs, then that means you have to admit K Rool has been %100 forgotten. BY HIS OWN FRANCHISE. Not even a reference. When looking for a playable DK rep, where will they look? The old games? Or the new reboots they're trying to sell? Yep.

You would have had an argument for how K Rool isn't forgotten with Mario Sluggers, but you said spinoffs don't count.

Pizzanigs

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Pizzanigs
Super Mario strikers
I feel like I say this every page

And if it points to anything it points to another dk character and Dixie is most likely the next in line as she was planned for brawl. But I'm not gonna argue this again bc it has been the same arguments for the past couple days
So you're saying that Toon Zelda and Toon Sheik are going to appear before any other Zelda character because they were planned for Brawl? Also, Roy was planned for Brawl but according to the leak that everyone seems to worship, we'll be getting Chrom instead this time around.

Con0rrrr

PPMD Kreygasm
NNID
Con0rrrr
3DS FC
4656-6340-0779
So, are we claiming that the Kremlings are in Smash Run because of Mario Strikers Charged?
I literally just explained that they are easy to add grunt type characters that only need 3 animations. Walk, punch, die. And they want good enemy representation from all franchises. Mario Strikers was to explain that Kremlings have appeared without K Rool

Hong

The Strongest
I think they are enemies in Smash Run because they are classic Nintendo enemies and Mr. Sakurai wanted them there.

domokl

Smash Lord
Okay, then if you don't count spinoffs, then that means you have to admit K Rool has been %100 forgotten. BY HIS OWN FRANCHISE. Not even a reference. When looking for a playable DK rep, where will they look? The old games? Or the new reboots they're trying to sell? Yep.

You would have had an argument for how K Rool isn't forgotten with Mario Sluggers, but you said spinoffs don't count.
Because game and watch and rob haven't been forgotten at all

queenrosetta

Smash Apprentice
So you're saying that Toon Zelda and Toon Sheik are going to appear before any other Zelda character because they were planned for Brawl? Also, Roy was planned for Brawl but according to the leak that everyone seems to worship, we'll be getting Chrom instead this time around.
Things have changed for the Zelda series. New games and transformations are gone so it doesn't compare

False Sense

Ad Astra Per Aspera
NNID
FalseSense
3DS FC
3368-2599-3209
I think they are enemies in Smash Run because they are classic Nintendo enemies and Mr. Sakurai wanted them there.
Yes, I would agree with you on that.

Going off of that, I think it's possible that Sakurai would recognize K. Rool as a classic Nintendo character and want him in the game.

domokl

Smash Lord
Warning Received
Things have changed for the Zelda series. New games and transformations are gone so it doesn't compare
ts still the same situation so the zelda series status dosent matter and isn't relevant

Those are classic iconic type characters k rool obviously isn't because they don't even use him anymore
K rool isn't iconic? Where have you been?

Last edited by a moderator:

Hong

The Strongest
Yes, I would agree with you on that.

Going off of that, I think it's possible that Sakurai would recognize K. Rool as a classic Nintendo character and want him in the game.
Or he can have said "This is how I am going to represent this series.", and used it as a counterbalance for lack of exterior representation.

Not like I disagree, so much as I think it's 0 for 0 either way.

Con0rrrr

PPMD Kreygasm
NNID
Con0rrrr
3DS FC
4656-6340-0779
Because game and watch and rob haven't been forgotten at all
Relevancy doesn't matter for new franchises or representation. It does matter for new reps for already represented franchises

False Sense

Ad Astra Per Aspera
NNID
FalseSense
3DS FC
3368-2599-3209
Those are classic iconic type characters k rool obviously isn't because they don't even use him anymore
Isn't that hypocritical, though? Game&Watch and R.O.B aren't used anymore, but they're still recognized as significant to Nintendo's history. In a similar way, K. Rool is significant to the Donkey Kong series and Nintendo, even if he hasn't shown up recently.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom