• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Character Discussion Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

SuperSmashMan489

Smash Rookie
It has been confirmed that the Sneaky Spirits, or White Apparitions (しろいおばけ), have been confirmed as an enemy in Smash Run. I recognize them from the GBA release of Rhythm Heaven, Rhythm Tengoku (リズム天国). And as the so-called "leak" speculates, Chrom, Shulk, and the Chorus Kids would be announced. The Sneaky Spirits in Smash Run increase the chances of a Rhythm Heaven character being in the game. Another character could be playable, and use mini-game based attacks. The Chorus Kids could be an Assist Trophy, using the well-known "together now" command to attack players. They could even be an attack! But me, being a fan of the Rhythm Heaven series, I think that if the Chorus Kids are too good to be true, another character should join the battle. What do you think?

Tr1pleDee

Together now!
NNID
Tr1pleDee
3DS FC
2964-8670-3007
Switch FC
SW-6770-0026-7427
Quite honestly I'd rather have the tile from Built to Scale as a character than Marshall.

Don't get me wrong, I'm happy to see any form of RH representation, but I just don't like Marshall. I probably wouldn't have as much of a problem with him if I didn't see all the people that prefer him over Chorus Kids. At least they actually sing, which has to do with rhythm. Not to mention that they are a trio, and almost ALL of the minigames involve duos/trios/quartets. So I feel they better represent the series as a whole.

Marshall teaches you stuff,. In the credits he can jump and roll. That isn't really that relevant to rhythm. He's just as important as the frog that takes you through the tutorial in the DS version. Actually nevermind, the frog was in a minigame. Two of them. plus marshall looks more derpy than he does cute, i mean he has a full set of fingers why

The only thing I could see Marshall doing is summoning other characters from the minigames to do the moves for him. But even then, having characters pop in in out of nowhere constantly would be a little goofy.

But the most important thing here is the fact that Marshall doesn't have a bowtie. 0/10. :awesome:

Mario & Sonic Guy

Old rivalries live on!
NNID
TPitch5
3DS FC
5327-1637-5096
I still think that the Chorus Kids are more suited for the Assist Trophy role. Besides, it would probably be a big strain on the Wii U and 3DS if there are four groups of Chorus Kids fighting at the same time anyway; four groups of three is worse than four groups of two in the programming department.

Tr1pleDee

Together now!
NNID
Tr1pleDee
3DS FC
2964-8670-3007
Switch FC
SW-6770-0026-7427
I still think that the Chorus Kids are more suited for the Assist Trophy role. Besides, it would probably be a big strain on the Wii U and 3DS if there are four groups of Chorus Kids fighting at the same time anyway; four groups of three is worse than four groups of two in the programming department.
I always thought the Kids would not be treated as 3 seperate entities, but rather 3 characters that move as one body. When I first got my 3DS, I played a game called Cartoon Network Punch Time Explosion a lot. Some of the characters like Mac + Bloo, Billy + Mandy were duos but they were inseperable and fought as one, assisting eachother in their attacks. So for example, if a Chorus Kid got hit, the other 2 wouldn't stay put, but rather fly with the first. At least thats what I imagine.

Mario & Sonic Guy

Old rivalries live on!
NNID
TPitch5
3DS FC
5327-1637-5096
I guess my main complaint is that the Chorus Kids would just be a clone of the Ice Climbers, but even more chaotic with three characters in one, compared to just two.

Sonic Poke

Smash Lord
I guess my main complaint is that the Chorus Kids would just be a clone of the Ice Climbers, but even more chaotic with three characters in one, compared to just two.
I think you have chosen the wrong word. Clone is a character that shares the same moves with an other. I think you mean a reused idea.
But it's too soon to judge, we even don't know how it would work. We have not seen any picture of him.

Hong

The Strongest
I disagree.

There are many ways for them to implement the Chorus Kids that are even less CPU-intensive than current roster additions.

Mario & Sonic Guy

Old rivalries live on!
NNID
TPitch5
3DS FC
5327-1637-5096
I think you have chosen the wrong word. Clone is a character that shares the same moves with an other. I think you mean a reused idea.
But it's too soon to judge, we even don't know how it would work. We have not seen any picture of him.
Yeah I just think that the Chorus Kids would be too much like the Ice Climbers, in terms of ideas on how to use them. At least with Rosalina, the Luma can operate in a completely different manner, and doesn't suffer from the flaws that Nana has when she's separated from Popo.

AEMehr

Mii Fighter
Uh, how so exactly?
The Chorus Kids happen to not have hammers are the ability to manipulate ice. So they wouldn't be clones, maybe have a similar mechanic, but not be clones at all.

Spinosaurus

Treasure Hunter
NNID
WarioLand
There's many ways of incorporating them without having them be similar to Ice Climbers.

EDIT: I feel like I was beaten like Brazil. Again.

Last edited:

Hong

The Strongest
Yeah I just think that the Chorus Kids would be too much like the Ice Climbers, in terms of ideas on how to use them. At least with Rosalina, the Luma can operate in a completely different manner, and doesn't suffer from the flaws that Nana has when she's separated from Popo.
Really?

I have never played a Rhythm Heaven game in my life, but my mind has more ideas for them than I know what to do with, and none of them are vaguely like the Ice Climbers.

BluePikmin11

Akko is my dear daughter!
NNID
blue
A rhythm-based playstyle would completely seperate them from IC and Rosalina.
You're missing the most basic part of the franchise.

Mario & Sonic Guy

Old rivalries live on!
NNID
TPitch5
3DS FC
5327-1637-5096
A rhythm-based playstyle would completely seperate them from IC and Rosalina.
You're missing the most basic part of the franchise.
Even so, programming three separate characters into one is even more excessive than just programming two characters into one. If it's bad enough to have as many as 6 Popos and 6 Nanas present, then we're bound to see a lot of lag if as many as 18 Chorus Kids are present.

Hong

The Strongest
Even so, programming three separate characters into one is even more excessive than just programming two characters into one. If it's bad enough to have as many as 6 Popos and 6 Nanas present, then we're bound to see a lot of lag if as many as 18 Chorus Kids are present.
Not at all.

Again, there is no reason why the Chorus Men should behave like the Ice Climbers, and there are plenty of technical solutions and as many design directions to accommodate them.

Last edited:

Zzuxon

Smash Champion
NNID
zzuxon
3DS FC
3695-0453-0481
The chorus men wouldn't be 3 characters. They would be 1 character cleverly designed to look like 3. Being able to separate and desynch like the ice climbers would be unfaithful to the character and series.

AEMehr

Mii Fighter
Well it's a good thing we'd only get twelve then.

Spinosaurus

Treasure Hunter
NNID
WarioLand
Still, outside of new franchise representation, I don't get why the Chorus Kids should be used over Ridley or King K. Rool.
Well you said it yourself, franchise representation.

Rhythm Heaven deserves it. It's an amazing series.

There's more merit in having them, because it'll create brand awareness. The possibility that a new Rhythm Heaven could get localized thanks to Smash is real and appreciative. It's kinda like Fire Emblem.

Last edited:

Opossum

Thread Title Changer
BRoomer
NNID
OpossumGuy
3DS FC
4742-4911-3431
Switch FC
SW 2859 6322 5208
Is the reason you don't want the leak to be real the fact that you don't like the Chorus Kids, MSG?

They can be programmed as one entity, so it's not an Ice Climbers-type issue. Rhythm Heaven is a popular, unrepresented series. In retrospect they make sense as a character.

Hong

The Strongest
Still, outside of new franchise representation, I don't get why the Chorus Kids should be used over Ridley or King K. Rool.
Well, I should mention I don't care for popularity, and more so diversity and functionality.

So to that degree, yes, Ridley should be in the game. I think Ridley has a lot to offer as a character, and can use a model that takes creative liberties to look like a level fighter. But that's because Ridley is an outright unique character in his own right, unlike any other. I think the Chorus Men not only have potential to offer a more unique gameplay experience than most of the existing roster, but they also have a unique aesthetic and represent a new franchise.

For reference sake, I am a Mother fan and Fire Emblem fan, but I would take a character like Chorus Men, Savvy Stylist or anyone else who really is immensely unique before I would want even more than one character of those respective franchises. I would trade Ike, my favourite Fire Emblem lord, for the Savvy Stylist, a character I am not as familiar with, because I already know she has what it takes to be something special.

Smash Bros should be about reflecting as much of Nintendo's history as possible, and I think popularity and character request ratios mean squat. Diversity should be reflected in gameplay mechanics, series origin, art direction and of course physical form. I think Chorus Kids are more unique than King K. Rool, Greninja, Wii Fit Trainer, Pac-Man, and a lot of the veterans. Doesn't make those characters any less unique, so much as it just reflects on the potential of the Chorus Men to exceed them.

Last edited:

Jaedrik

Man-at-Arms-at-Keyboard
The only reason I don't want Chorus Kids is because I don't like how they look. :/

Tr1pleDee

Together now!
NNID
Tr1pleDee
3DS FC
2964-8670-3007
Switch FC
SW-6770-0026-7427
Here is a video of Mac & Bloo in that Cartoon Network game I mentioned. The physics in this game are super wonky, but it provides an idea of how the Chorus Kids could function (just with one less character)
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9ro_h03MhAM

Last edited:

Mario & Sonic Guy

Old rivalries live on!
NNID
TPitch5
3DS FC
5327-1637-5096
Is the reason you don't want the leak to be real the fact that you don't like the Chorus Kids, MSG?

They can be programmed as one entity, so it's not an Ice Climbers-type issue. Rhythm Heaven is a popular, unrepresented series. In retrospect they make sense as a character.
It's not that I don't like the Chorus Kids, but more that I find them to be an overrated character choice. Of the three characters that are in the leak, I'm okay with Shulk, but Ridley and King K. Rool should not get upstaged by any means.

AncientTobacco

Smash Lord
I'm getting real tired of people screaming how unique the Chorus Kids are, when we know literally nothing about how they would actually play.

There's plenty of obscure characters with potential, why aren't you supporting them? Oh right: They're not on the leak.

EmceeEspio

Not the Break Man
NNID
captainlucario
I'm getting real tired of people screaming how unique the Chorus Kids are, when we know literally nothing about how they would actually play.

There's plenty of obscure characters with potential, why aren't you supporting them? Oh right: They're not on the leak.
They can't help it.

This IS SalBoards after all.

Spinosaurus

Treasure Hunter
NNID
WarioLand
It's not that I don't like the Chorus Kids, but more that I find them to be an overrated character choice. Of the three characters that are in the leak, I'm okay with Shulk, but Ridley and King K. Rool should not get upstaged by any means.
I'm just curious, but why are you singling out Chorus Kids?

In all honesty I support, and want a lot of obscure characters, more than any big guns. Elite Beat Agents, Ouendan, Kyle Hyde, Ashley Robbins, Jimmy T, Ray MKIII, Sami (I guess she's obscure), Chibi Robo, Ephraim/Eliwood, Captain Syrup, and more.

I'm just not very vocal about it because I'm setting my expectations in check. If one of them was on a leak that looks likely (like a certain Rhythm Heaven rep) then damn right I'd be at full force in supporting them.

Last edited:

Hong

The Strongest

I wouldn't say that. It's the other way around.

If people would not write off the potential of the Chorus Men as a fighter, I would never have reason to rebuke that statement. I'll judge any character that is frequently discussed to contest needless scrutiny.

Mario & Sonic Guy

Old rivalries live on!
NNID
TPitch5
3DS FC
5327-1637-5096
I'm just curious, but why are you singling out Chorus Kids?
Probably because I never really knew them at all, and I've found it very odd how they're being brought up a lot, all because of a rumor. But I guess even if the rumor never existed, there will be someone who supports them.

N3ON

Gone Exploring
BRoomer
Probably because I never really knew them at all, and I've found it very odd how they're being brought up a lot, all because of a rumor. But I guess even if the rumor never existed, there will be someone who supports them.
A very credible rumor mind you.

FinalStarmen

Smash Ace
I am pretty confident if either Ridley, K. Rool, or Mewtwo were already confirmed at this point, the Chorus Kids (and their general base of supporters) would not nearly be as antagonized as they are.

Last edited:

Opossum

Thread Title Changer
BRoomer
NNID
OpossumGuy
3DS FC
4742-4911-3431
Switch FC
SW 2859 6322 5208
"Rumor" isn't an apt word. This is an actual leak. You don't "guess" Wii Fit Trainer or name "Mii Fighters," nor did most people think we'd get Villager or a Gen VI Pokemon. Add into this getting 8/11 newcomers correct so far, and the fact that the Sneaky Spirit from Rhythm Heaven is in Smash Run, and there's no reason to think it isn't real.

N3ON

Gone Exploring
BRoomer
"Rumor" isn't an apt word. This is an actual leak. You don't "guess" Wii Fit Trainer or name "Mii Fighters," nor did most people think we'd get Villager or a Gen VI Pokemon. Add into this getting 8/11 newcomers correct so far, and the fact that the Sneaky Spirit from Rhythm Heaven is in Smash Run, and there's no reason to think it isn't real.
Yus. For me it stopped being a credible rumor and moved onto an actual leak once the second batch hit and we then pretty immediately got Greninja afterwards.

And I agree. You don't just predict WFT. At most you regard her as on the very outer fringes of what might be possible if Sakurai went crazy, but you don't make a serious guess that she'll be included.
Or Chorus Men for that matter. Marshall, Wrestler, Karate Joe, yeah maybe. But not Chorus Men.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom