• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Character Discussion Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

Shroob

Sup?
Isn't that hypocritical, though? Game&Watch and R.O.B aren't used anymore, but they're still recognized as significant to Nintendo's history. In a similar way, K. Rool is significant to the Donkey Kong series and Nintendo, even if he hasn't shown up recently.
I'd argue about Game and Watch. Nintendo still sometimes releases Game and Watch galleries and he cameos sometimes.

queenrosetta

Smash Apprentice
Isn't that hypocritical, though? Game&Watch and R.O.B aren't used anymore, but they're still recognized as significant to Nintendo's history. In a similar way, K. Rool is significant to the Donkey Kong series and Nintendo, even if he hasn't shown up recently.
K rool does not have the significance of g&w and rob. Don't even pretend

ihskeyp

Smash Ace
Rob isn't from a series and G&W was made up for smash based on the old games. The difference is DK is still moving along, and they have basically dropped K Rool. He is iconic though, so I'm not arguing, just saying that I think the other person meant he isn't really important anymore. Or at least not important enough to be in his own series.

Spinosaurus

Treasure Hunter
NNID
WarioLand
I think the difference here is that ROB and G&W have more historical significance to Nintendo as a whole because they represent more than just themselves. ROB was one of the factors in saving the industry and a clever marketing ploy, and G&W were one of Nintendo's more popular products back in the day. It's not like they're forgotten either, because they cameo in several Nintendo games.

Nintendo never really used K.Rool though; Rare and other third parties that Nintendo outsourced the other games he appeared in did. There IS a big difference.

Last edited:

Con0rrrr

PPMD Kreygasm
NNID
Con0rrrr
3DS FC
4656-6340-0779
Rob isn't from a series and G&W was made up for smash based on the old games. The difference is DK is still moving along, and they have basically dropped K Rool. He is iconic though, so I'm not arguing, just saying that I think the other person meant he isn't really important anymore. Or at least not important enough to be in his own series.
I'm beginning to doubt K Rool being iconic. Yes I am a huge K Rool fan. But when I ask my roommates who K Rool is, they have no clue. I really think that K Rool is only iconic to a certain crowd and mainly on these boards. I understand he is popular and Japan, but again, is totally unknown to an even larger demographic.

Shroob

Sup?
I'm beginning to doubt K Rool being iconic. Yes I am a huge K Rool fan. But when I ask my roommates who K Rool is, they have no clue. I really think that K Rool is only iconic to a certain crowd and mainly on these boards. I understand he is popular and Japan, but again, is totally unknown to an even larger demographic.
I feel like K.Rool's glory day was the SNES/N64 era. He was the de-facto DK villain, but nowadays? He's been absent from his own series as far back as Jungle Beat.

ihskeyp

Smash Ace
Oh I completely agree, I just meant iconic to nintendo history. If I asked anyone in my entire large family who King K Rool is they wouldn't know, so he's not iconic in that sense.

Spinosaurus

Treasure Hunter
NNID
WarioLand
We ARE a very specific group of people on these Internet boards, like a focus group full of people with similar taste. (AKA a bad idea) What's known to us is more than likely obscure to a larger demographic.

We can't exactly determine what's iconic based on what's popular here. Miis are hated here, but they actually are iconic.

Last edited:

False Sense

Ad Astra Per Aspera
NNID
FalseSense
3DS FC
3368-2599-3209
It's probably worth noting that a single roommate is not the best representation of the general fan base.

Last edited:

Con0rrrr

PPMD Kreygasm
NNID
Con0rrrr
3DS FC
4656-6340-0779
It's probably worth noting that a single roommate is not the best representation of the general fan base.
Well, on here people seem to argue that K Rool is the best candidate for the game because people know him. And I would have to say that that is 100% not the case. Go ask people who you consider gamers, without knowing whether they've played DKC, if they know who he is.

Last edited:

domokl

Smash Lord
Well, on here people seem to argue that K Rool is the best candidate for the game because people know him. And I would have to say that that is 100% not the case. Go ask people who you consider gamers, without knowing whether they've played DKC, if they know who he is.
He is probably the most requested character behind mewtwo in a lot of polls in us and japan

False Sense

Ad Astra Per Aspera
NNID
FalseSense
3DS FC
3368-2599-3209
My gaming friends know who he is, actually.

Con0rrrr

PPMD Kreygasm
NNID
Con0rrrr
3DS FC
4656-6340-0779
He is probably the most requested character behind mewtwo in a lot of polls in us and japan
That's for people who go onto smash forums like these. 98% of smash fans won't visit a site like this in their life.

My gaming friends know who he is, actually.
That's a very specific group, just like my group of friends. I would definitely argue that K Rool is know by less than this forum seems to assume.

queenrosetta

Smash Apprentice
First of all that's a big exaggeration. There are a few others in front of him. Second of all who are the people voting in these polls? It's the same people on the boards. The select few who actually care enough to write and review smash. When id say 95% of the people who play these games don't participate in these polls or boards

Edit: @ Con0rrrr Con0rrrr and I are on the same page lol.

Last edited:

Con0rrrr

PPMD Kreygasm
NNID
Con0rrrr
3DS FC
4656-6340-0779
The real question is what kinda gamers haven't played DKC.
100% agree. Just unfortunately this is the reality these days. Some have played DKC, but most new gamers only know DKC by Returns and TF, where there is no K Rool.

Spinosaurus

Treasure Hunter
NNID
WarioLand
You know, I always wondered if some here can't recognize iconic gaming characters that aren't in anyway related in Nintendo.

I'm talking about characters like Lara Croft, Nathan Drake, Steve, Kratos, Sackboy, Master Chief, Ryu Hayabusa, Jin Kazama, etc. Did most of you here recognize Snake before his reveal in Brawl?

Most of us can, no doubt. But then, here's the question...are any of you familiar with them? Why they're significant? Do you even care about them for being iconic?

With all the throwing around of the word "iconic", it always left me curious if we're talking wholescale comparable to all characters I mentioned or just relative to the dedicated Nintendo fanbase, and it always left me wondering if it even matters.

Last edited:

robjay13

Smash Rookie
Anyone have ideas on the new chalenger that Sakurai announced? My guess that its not a third party character, and will probably be from Pokemon, Zelda, or possibly (I know what I previously said) Sonic the Hedgehog. Im thinking Meowth maybe?

Last edited:

Shroob

Sup?
Anyone have ideas on the new chalenger that Sakurai announced? My guess that its not a third party character, and will probably be from Pokemon, Zelda, or possibly (I know what I previously said) Sonic the Hedgehog. Im thinking Meowth maybe?
Meowth is a Pokeball Pokemon. Signs point to it being Shulk from Xenoblade.

domokl

Smash Lord
First of all that's a big exaggeration. There are a few others in front of him. Second of all who are the people voting in these polls? It's the same people on the boards. The select few who actually care enough to write and review smash. When id say 95% of the people who play these games don't participate in these polls or boards

That is false as the only characters to pass him are ridley and mewtwo and ridley dosent have a big fanbase in japan

Pizzanigs

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Pizzanigs

Exaggeration how? The only character who I think could be ahead of K. Rool is Ridley, who to my knowledge doesn't even have a big fan base in Japan.

Spinosaurus

Treasure Hunter
NNID
WarioLand
Speaking of Chorus Men, anyone think they'll look like that one detective trophy from Brawl, artstyle-wise?
The best trophy, Kyle Hyde?

The only animated trophy in the game! dammit hyde you sexy beast why aren't you playable

It's not really the same in terms of art style and animation, but I get what you mean and I hope so.

Spinosaurus

Treasure Hunter
NNID
WarioLand
Is an EVO vet announcement still possible?
It's really only NOA that's sponsoring. I doubt Sakurai has anything to do with it, especially since there's a newcomer announcement this monday.

Hey, we did get an eShop advertisement! With some help from D1 and Prog afterwards of course lol

Last edited:

Con0rrrr

PPMD Kreygasm
NNID
Con0rrrr
3DS FC
4656-6340-0779
Actually, last I checked, Ridley didn't have a very large fan base in Japan. His support is mostly Western.
There's many fans of Ridley out there. Just not as many as in the West as you said. But Dixie is just as requested if not more than K Rool in Japan as well

Rockaphin

Smash Champion
NNID
Rockaphin
3DS FC
2595-0113-8473
Mr. Game & Watch has had multiple releases. There's the original Game & Watches, Game & Watch Gallery series, and even special promotions on Club Nintendo being released around 4-5 years ago. Not only that, he makes cameo appearances in many Nintendo games. His inclusion was most likely due to his overall important history, but he's still appearing in Nintendo products. Heck, he made an appearance in a Super Smash Bros. for Wii U/3DS Trailer!

robjay13

Smash Rookie
Also: as another canidate: K. Rool. Now I know what your thinking: "now thats just dumb" Well, think about it. Almost All of the original series have/had villains, if you count mewtwo, which I do. Both Porky and Ridley were bosses, and Samarai Goroh was an Assist. K. Rool has never even made a cameo. (Not counting trophies) It makes sense to make him a boss or an Assist at the least. Here what I'm saying?

Spinosaurus

Treasure Hunter
NNID
WarioLand
Yeah I see a lot of Dixie requests in Japan. Tingle, too.

japan knows whats up #teamdixie

Shroob

Sup?
Yeah I see a lot of Dixie requests in Japan. Tingle, too.

japan knows whats up #teamdixie
To be fair, sorry Girahim supporters, but if Zelda were to get a new rep, Tingle is the only logical choice(Maybe Tetra too). Midna didn't get in, and a one and done villain like Girahim won't get in either. Granted, Tingle is an assist trophy.

Pizzanigs

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Pizzanigs
Also: as another canidate: K. Rool. Now I know what your thinking: "now thats just dumb" Well, think about it. Almost All of the original series have/had villains, if you count mewtwo, which I do. Both Porky and Ridley were bosses, and Samarai Goroh was an Assist. K. Rool has never even made a cameo. (Not counting trophies) It makes sense to make him a boss or an Assist at the least. Here what I'm saying?
Yeah, now I definitely think you're trolling. K. Rool is one of the most requested characters...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom