• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Character Discussion Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

Kalimdori

Amateur Youtuber
NNID
Kalimdori
3DS FC
5129-1442-5970
Don't see why Chorus Kids would exactly kill the hype.
I wouldn't say it's so much of killing hype, as so much of missing an opportunity to build hype. Seeing a new Smash Trailer puts me on the edge of my seat, I can't wait to see who the new character is. If it's August, probably the last newcomer before the release, people are probably going to be excited to see who it is, and then they get... somebody they don't even recognize, nor were they excited for. Those who participate in the Smash community would know who they were thanks to those leaks, but the average gamer wouldn't.

Remember how long it took for people to warm up to the Wii Fit Trainer? Same sort of deal here.

Zhadgon

Smash Lord
NNID
Zhadgon
For fun I did made a roster with 60 playable characters, probably a lot of people will be upset with the cuts and inclusions that I made but I think is the best and most optimal approach to a perfect roster.

.n_n.

GrapeEscape

Smash Apprentice
Wait, are we still doing confessions? In that case...

I don't want Ridley to be in the game. I think he'd look too weird shrunk down and I'd rather have one of the hunters.

*Prepares to be crucified.*

Twin Shot

Smash Journeyman
My confession:

I don't really want Chrom in the game.

I just throw him in the "blue haired swordsman" category and would rather have Roy back as thats what I know. If he is in the game and a cool, unique character, done in a proper way, I would totally be on board..eventually...as I typically play as every character.

One of my biggest wishes is to have Ditto replace random.
Would just transform into a random character in the beginning of the match and I think Ditto is a perfect character to do this with. Random is then a character instead of being random. Think of Blade Master or Charade from Soul Calibur. Maybe you could configure it even on the request screen to morph after every death!

Only problem with it seems to be "rep" count.

GrapeEscape

Smash Apprentice
My confession:

I don't really want Chrom in the game.

I just throw him in the "blue haired swordsman" category and would rather have Roy back as thats what I know. If he is in the game and a cool, unique character, done in a proper way, I would totally be on board..eventually...as I typically play as every character.

One of my biggest wishes is to have Ditto replace random.
Would just transform into a random character in the beginning of the match and I think Ditto is a perfect character to do this with. Random is then a character instead of being random. Think of Blade Master or Charade from Soul Calibur. Maybe you could configure it even on the request screen to morph after every death!

Only problem with it seems to be "rep" count.
Your Ditto idea is actually fantastic and would give the standard random button a lot more personality and probably more use. If we can't get him as a pokeball that's probably the second best thing. The only problem would be that Ditto would also have to be given its own victory and loss animations, unless it instead takes on the ones of whatever character it was when the match ended.

Rockaphin

Smash Champion
NNID
Rockaphin
3DS FC
2595-0113-8473
  • I support Rosalina, Bowser Jr., and Paper Mario, but Paper Mario wins my vote due to the fact that I loved the series he's from. I loved Sunshine, but The Thousand Year Door is my all time favorite Mario game. I want to see a more inspired moveset unlike Mario's. I don't know why New Super Mario Bros received a stage on both the Wii U and 3DS. 3DS ok, but I think Super Mario 3D World should've had a stage before NSMB. Bowser still needs his castle. Toad wouldn't be a bad choice either, but I never really liked the character.
  • I think King K. Rool deserves a spot before Dixie mostly to diversify the roster more. Also, he's like the second most wanted newcomer. I still support Dixie as I think the DK series actually deserves four characters by this time. I supported the Diddy and Dixie tag-team.
  • I don't support Dark Pit because I don't have much of an interest in Kid Icarus. I actually hated the NES game. The only character from that series that I really wanted to see was Medusa. Palutena and Hades were good choices as well but I was becoming sick of seeing Palutena everywhere. I am not a Dark Pit fan at all, sorry. I've never played Uprising so that's most definitely why.
  • Mewtwo > Feraligatr > Snivy > Sceptile > Jigglypuff. I never liked Jigglypuff or her moveset. I was really hoping for a Johto Trainer.
  • Robin and Anna are my most wanted Fire Emblem characters. However, I actually do not hate Chrom at all and wouldn't mind his inclusion. The only FE I don't want is Roy. And honestly, I know nothing about Marth or his origins so he's among my least favorites.
  • I'm totally up to see Bandana Dee. And Adeleine too!
  • I really wanted Skull Kid, but after his disconfirmation, I support Vaati and Classic Ganon. Honestly, I don't think Sheik has too much of a purpose now without Zelda. Not that I supported her from excluded.
  • Pac-Man, IMO, was the only logical 3rd party choice. Of course after Sanic Sonic.

Last edited:

Starcutter

Resident Beedrill
NNID
Legendofrob1
3DS FC
1908-0357-9077
For fun I did made a roster with 60 playable characters, probably a lot of people will be upset with the cuts and inclusions that I made but I think is the best and most optimal approach to a perfect roster.

.n_n.
Yay Inkling!

Weeman

Smash Crusader
Confessions huh?

I only bandwagon support Mewtwo, i really don't personally care much for the character nor do i liked him that much in Melee, but the only reason i support him is that after seeing the amount of people that want him back, i just think he really deserves to be in.

Last edited:
D

Deleted member

I wouldn't say it's so much of killing hype, as so much of missing an opportunity to build hype. Seeing a new Smash Trailer puts me on the edge of my seat, I can't wait to see who the new character is. If it's August, probably the last newcomer before the release, people are probably going to be excited to see who it is, and then they get... somebody they don't even recognize, nor were they excited for. Those who participate in the Smash community would know who they were thanks to those leaks, but the average gamer wouldn't.

Remember how long it took for people to warm up to the Wii Fit Trainer? Same sort of deal here.
I don't think it took everyone that long to warm up to Wii Fit Trainer. I went from "what?" to "This is great!" in a split second and have loved her being in since. As for the hype killer with chorus men, I'm gonna have to agree. I think the best thing to do would beto Mewtwo or Ridley(if they are in the game at all). I've said this before, but I think a smash direct with 1-2 newcomers, a few veterans, and more detailed mode talk would be the best hype grabber.

CalumG

Smash Lord
Why are/were people discussing Dark Pit a page or so ago? Are we really so hard-up on characters that people want a 100% palette swap now? Luigi, Pichu, Wolf etc were pushing the boat out, but the similarities between Pit and Dark Pit are just ridiculous.

Nah I'm kidding. They should totally put Dark Pit in. He could have this as an alternate costume! :troll:

GrapeEscape

Smash Apprentice
Another thing I must confess...

If we were to get only one new retro character, I'd want it to be Mach Rider, not Takamaru. Though, I believe the best case scenario would be having both in the game.

LeeYawshee

Smash Ace
3DS FC
2621-3044-6895
My confession: My most wanted veteran is Jigglypuff and I believe she deserves the roster more than Mewtwo. Why? Well let's take a look at generations

Gen 1: Jigglypuff and Mewtwo are introduced
Gen 2: Jigglypuff gets a prevo. In Crystal, it is possible to obtain a shiny Igglybuff.
Gen 3: Jigglypuff and Mewtwo's introductory games were remade.
Gen 4: Nothing, unless we want to talk about Igglybuff but I don't think it should count. Mewtwo is available for capture in HG/SS, but so is Jigglypuff.
Gen 5: Nothing.
Gen 6: Jigglypuff becomes a fairy type and Mewtwo gets two Mega Evolution. Both become prevalent again.

Yes, Mewtwo is more popular, but Jigglypuff is a classic. She was even more prevalent in the anime where she was a minor but fun character. Mewtwo has had some appearances but not as many as Jigglypuff (arguable).

Now, Mewtwo is my favorite legendary pokemon of all time and higher on my favorite list than Jiggs, but Jigglypuff was the original WTF character, we gotta keep her.

Xenorange

Smash Lord
My confession: My most wanted veteran is Jigglypuff and I believe she deserves the roster more than Mewtwo. Why? Well let's take a look at generations

Gen 2: Jigglypuff gets a prevo. In Crystal, it is possible to obtain a shiny Igglybuff.
Gen 4: Nothing, unless we want to talk about Igglybuff but I don't think it should count. Mewtwo is available for capture in HG/SS, but so is Jigglypuff.
Gen 6: Jigglypuff becomes a fairy type and Mewtwo gets two Mega Evolution. Both become prevalent again.

Yes, Mewtwo is more popular, but Jigglypuff is a classic. She was even more prevalent in the anime where she was a minor but fun character. Mewtwo has had some appearances but not as many as Jigglypuff (arguable).

Now, Mewtwo is my favorite legendary pokemon of all time and higher on my favorite list than Jiggs, but Jigglypuff was the original WTF character, we gotta keep her.
I so very strongly disagree with this.

GrapeEscape

Smash Apprentice

I thought that Ness was the original WTF character. Well, to people outside of Japan, at least. But even then he was a very unlikely addition. Plus, Jigglypuff is actually incredibly popular in Japan, being just behind Pikachu in terms of mascot status.

D

Deleted member

Why are/were people discussing Dark Pit a page or so ago? Are we really so hard-up on characters that people want a 100% palette swap now? Luigi, Pichu, Wolf etc were pushing the boat out, but the similarities between Pit and Dark Pit are just ridiculous.

Nah I'm kidding. They should totally put Dark Pit in. He could have this as an alternate costume! :troll:
*energetic commercial voice* Want to play as Pit or Dark Pit with the moves of other? Now you can! Just press x or y a few times are there you are! But in all seriousness, visually yeah, they are super similar, but moveset potential is like no other potential clone. I said it earlier, but I wouldn't care if he's in or not. It's cool if he is, whatever if he's not.

CalumG

Smash Lord
*energetic commercial voice* Want to play as Pit or Dark Pit with the moves of other? Now you can! Just press x or y a few times are there you are! But in all seriousness, visually yeah, they are super similar, but moveset potential is like no other potential clone. I said it earlier, but I wouldn't care if he's in or not. It's cool if he is, whatever if he's not.
Yeah, Dark Pit undeniably has moveset potential unlike any other doppelganger. Problem is, Sakurai clearly values the appearance of characters pretty highly - heck, the reason Falco got into Melee before Wolf was because he was more visually distinct. Between the current palette swap system, the plethora of legit alternate costumes (Villager, Little Mac etc.) we seem to be getting, and Sakurai's disdain for characters who look 'too similar', characters like Dark Pit are just dead in the water.

A shame, but it's understandable really.

SomewhatMystia

Smash Lord
NNID
SomewhatMystia
3DS FC
2750-1555-1721
I'd be surprisingly okay if Dark PIt came along with a Pit alt, just because it sounds amusingly confusing if there'd ever be a Pit v Dark Pit event match based around it.

LeeYawshee

Smash Ace
3DS FC
2621-3044-6895
I thought that Ness was the original WTF character. Well, to people outside of Japan, at least. But even then he was a very unlikely addition. Plus, Jigglypuff is actually incredibly popular in Japan, being just behind Pikachu in terms of mascot status.
Oh? That explains a lot. It felt like Jigglypuff was the WTF character since I didn't think she would be a fighter.
I so very strongly disagree with this.
Care to explain why?

Xenorange

Smash Lord
Oh? That explains a lot. It felt like Jigglypuff was the WTF character since I didn't think she would be a fighter.

Care to explain why?
Nothing to rational, just don't and never have liked the Puff. I think there are so many other Pokemon that would better represent the franchise.

Rockaphin

Smash Champion
NNID
Rockaphin
3DS FC
2595-0113-8473

Mewtwo has multiple movies and was also the first man-made Pokémon which the story in Red version tried to incorporate with the Mansion on Cinnabar Island. I'd also like to add that I don't think Jigglypuff receiving a new type means as much as some may say. It's not like she's the face of the type or anything. Many Pokémon received new types over time, but I guess it counts for something, but no where near the importance of receiving a mega evolution. Two on top of that which is only shared with one other Pokémon who also happens to be in Smash. There was also a Mewtwo event for Gen 5.

Honestly, I think Meowth would have been a better choice back in the day. After Mewtwo of course.

but moveset potential is like no other potential clone.
I'd like to disagree and say Paper Mario has an even lesser of a chance to be a clone from his counterpart.

Edit: Crap, double post. I was going to edit into my previous post but I accidentally clicked the post button. My apologies.

Last edited by a moderator:

LeeYawshee

Smash Ace
3DS FC
2621-3044-6895
Nothing to rational, just don't and never have liked the Puff. I think there are so many other Pokemon that would better represent the franchise.
Oh, this I can agree with completely. I think Jigglypuff should have never been added to Smash, but as a veteran, I've become quite the fan which is why I want Jiggly back.

Mewtwo has multiple movies and was also the first man-made Pokémon which the story in Red version tried to incorporate with the Mansion on Cinnabar Island. I'd also like to add that I don't think Jigglypuff receiving a new type means as much as some may say. It's not like she's the face of the type or anything. Many Pokémon received new types over time, but I guess it counts for something, but no where near the importance of receiving a mega evolution. Two on top of that which is only shared with one other Pokémon who also happens to be in Smash. There was also a Mewtwo event for Gen 5.

Honestly, I think Meowth would have been a better choice back in the day. After Mewtwo of course.
This is all very true, and I disagree about Meowth being below Mewtwo. I mean, Meowth would be the rival to Pikachu (cat and mouse)

With that said, Jigglypuff still has a mark in my heart, so at this point is it simply opinion. Thank you all for teaching me something new, though.

Last edited:

Rockaphin

Smash Champion
NNID
Rockaphin
3DS FC
2595-0113-8473
This is all very true, and I disagree about Meowth being below Mewtwo. I mean, Meowth would be the rival to Pikachu (cat and mouse)

With that said, Jigglypuff has a mark in my heart, so at this point is it simply opinion. Thank you all for teaching me something new, though.
Hey no problem. I understand that you anticipate Jigglypuff's return if you liked the character. There's nothing wrong with that. She's been in since the first, so I think she has a pretty big shot of returning.

Last edited:

ihskeyp

Smash Ace

.n_n.
Glad that you added Inkling! I would add Impa, and at least one other fire emblem rep..... And I'd cut bandana dee and add a WarioWare rep. Not too bad of a roster, though.

D

Deleted member

I'd like to disagree and say Paper Mario has an even lesser of a chance to be a clone from his counterpart.
I guess that's true, but at the same time, I feel most of Mario's moves would look weird on Paper Mario. I always felt he would have to be different. Plus, Luigi is already kind of/not really a Mario clone(even though he has so much more potential, but that's for another time) so having three semi-clones based on the same general character design would be ridiculous. Hat and overalls. At least Falco is a blue bird who looks different enough from the other two. I think I'm carried away with this topic though.:p

LeeYawshee

Smash Ace
3DS FC
2621-3044-6895
The funny part about the Pokemon is that they could easily be Pokeballs. If Jigglypuff came out of a pokeball and used sing, I think I would be okay with that. A tad hurt, but okay nonetheless. She would use sing and little music notes would fly around the stage, if someone gets hit, they fall asleep. If they're in the air, they get put in a helpless state. I know this is character discussion but I felt this was relevant. I wonder what will happen to Squirtle and Ivysaur if they get pokeballs.

How do you post pics?

But first you need to post them somewhere on the internet. Hopes this helps, pal.

Last edited:

aldelaro5

Paper Mario P
Canada, Quebec (or Rogeuport if you want)
NNID
aldelaro5
3DS FC
3050-7721-6617
I guess that's true, but at the same time, I feel most of Mario's moves would look weird on Paper Mario. I always felt he would have to be different. Plus, Luigi is already kind of/not really a Mario clone(even though he has so much more potential, but that's for another time) so having three semi-clones based on the same general character design would be ridiculous. Hat and overalls. At least Falco is a blue bird who looks different enough from the other two. I think I'm carried away with this topic though.:p
I learned by debating on him that what seems different vary from people to people. For me, just the paper design looks different (that and also the influence I got from TTYD design).

With that said, you said that he would have to be different which is why the fact that it's literally mario isn't a problem for me at all. The thing I'm getting a little tired of hearing is comparing to toon link because I see that as counterintuitive. It's just that I think the max you can push toon link is an ok semi clone (ok is uniqueness btw) but the fact that the paper mario series is different from the main one removes this "restrictions".

That's why I question this argument a lot because for people who didn't like toon link due to lack of uniqueness shouldn't do the same for Paper Mario because doing it isn't even fitting the character (imo at least even though it's still mario) but I also think that why wasting it instead of picking characters that are like toon link which makes more sense as clone/semi clone? It just seems to be more a waste of precious development time because it won't change that much to not put him at all if he HAS to be a clone.

But then again, uniqueness is very subjective. I'm myself quite open to it so yes I see toon link unique enough but I still think that the purpose of adding him wasn't just for adding him.

YoshiandToad

Smash Hero

.n_n.
Captain Toad
Bomberman
Dixie Kong
Inkling
Chibi Robo
Isaac
Bandana Dee
A Wars character.

A roster that appeals to me whilst keeping Smashboards favourites of Ridley, K. Rool, Mewtwo and Takamaru. Too good to ever happen though.

Last edited:

Kenith

Overkill Sarcasm
The Fabulous Friendly Super Sparkle Train
NNID
RipoffmanXKTG
3DS FC
4210-4224-9442
Confession: I think Mach Rider or Duck Hunt Dog is getting in as the second retro before Sable gets in as playable. :(
Well, to be fair, most people who know NIntendo know who the Dog is, and Mach Rider is somewhat well known among the NEs characters.

Even I didn't who the Prince of Sable was.

Diddy Kong

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-1597-979602774

.n_n.
Needz moar Impa.

MagnesD3

Smash Master
Another ultimate roster prediction this time with 53 characters. (or 55 if you count mii's which sakurai would.)

Dlc could be Roy, Squirtle and Ivysaur or completely new characters, possibly even bayonetta or new stages.

Last edited:

Spinosaurus

Treasure Hunter
NNID
WarioLand
Those who participate in the Smash community would know who they were thanks to those leaks, but the average gamer wouldn't.

The average gamer normally doesn't care about Nintendo these days anyway. The average Nintendo gamer probably doesn't know Little Mac. It's why Smash is good for introducing these characters to anyone that isn't part of the fanbase. We can't exactly call who could be hype or not based on one message board. Did you expect Greninja to be hype?

Also people KNEW WFT...except this place.

Last edited:

MasterOfKnees

Space Pirate
NNID
KneeMaster
Switch FC
SW-6310-1174-0352

I believe Jigglypuff deserves to be on the roster more too, though not because of her presence in Pokémon itself. We already have 3 badass Pokémon in Greninja, Charizard and Lucario, I think it's time we expand on one of the more popular aspects of Pokémon: The cuteness factor. Pikachu stands all alone with that currently, Jigglypuff would help flesh out the Pokémon roster a ton more than Mewtwo would at this point, he doesn't add anything that isn't there currently, he'd just be another addition to the big badass guys. Rosters that have the current cast + Sceptile and Mewtwo just look bland because of this imo, and I even prefer the badass Pokémon themselves. That and Jigglypuff is just infinitely more important from a Smash Bros perspective.

I still hope we're going to get both though to satisfy as many people as possible.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom