• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Character Discussion Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

Rockaphin

Smash Champion
NNID
Rockaphin
3DS FC
2595-0113-8473
I guess that's true, but at the same time, I feel most of Mario's moves would look weird on Paper Mario. I always felt he would have to be different. Plus, Luigi is already kind of/not really a Mario clone(even though he has so much more potential, but that's for another time) so having three semi-clones based on the same general character design would be ridiculous. Hat and overalls. At least Falco is a blue bird who looks different enough from the other two. I think I'm carried away with this topic though.:p
I agree that most moves would definitely look strange mostly due to the fact that he never threw a punch in his series. Also, I agree about Luigi and that's a huge gripe of mine.

As a huge Mario fan, I have to say that I'm actually somewhat disappointed with the way Mario and Luigi were handled. Mario, not so much, but Luigi really needed the Poltergust in his moveset and not just in his Final Smash. I'll admit that he's barely a semi-clone, but he's not just "Green-Mario" anymore and has plenty to really differentiate himself.

I think Paper Mario would rely on his hammer for most of his standard attacks. I'd like to see his various partners used for his specials. The roster doesn't have a character made of paper so I think that should really show in his character as well.

Maxilian

Smash Ace
Confessions:

1- I would like Ridley in the game cause it will make a lot of people happy and he would also be something "new" (different from most character in many ways), but i don't care that much if he doesn't end up in the game :drshrug:

2- I hate the idea of Paper Mario, don't ask why... i just hate it:drflip:

3- I LOVE GHIRAHIM!, I want him so much in the game but... i don't think he will be in the game:drsad:

4- Whenever i see someone asking for Lucina and Robin instead of Chrom, i feel like they don't want to accept reality, is going to be Chrom, want it or not...:drwtf:

5- I don't really want King K. Rool in the game, i feel like he's a goofy villain :drifloon:

GunGunW

Smash Lord
NNID
GunGunW
The only thing I have to say is that there really isn't anyone that I wouldn't prefer being in the game over Dark Pit.

Tr1pleDee

Together now!
NNID
Tr1pleDee
3DS FC
2964-8670-3007
Switch FC
SW-6770-0026-7427
Heeeey we have another 4chan text leak.
-The final, on-disc roster is going to contain 51 playable characters.

-Downloadble-Content is confirmed. At least 3 characters will be available. 5 Stages will be available.

-Alternate costumes will be available on the disc. To gain access to these costumes you must perform tasks, very similar to how you unlock characters or stages. Most characters have only one Alternate costume some characters will have two.
Mario: Doctor Mario, Shadow Mario
Pit: Dark Pit
Pikmin & Olimar: Louie

-King K. Rool, Mewtwo, and Ridley are to be on-disc as the final characters to be announced.

-Isaac confirmed as Downloadable-Content, he is a very quick character (slightly slower than Greninja). Isaac uses magic and his Long Sword to fight.

-Ivysaur and Squirtle confirmed as Downloadable-Content. From what I can

King K. Rool will be the final character to be announced 2 weeks prior to the release of Super Smash Bros. 3DS JPN. He’s one of the slowest in the game but has a variety of mid-range slow projectiles; he throws his crown, shoots cannonballs, etc., recovery is jetpack from DKC3, not much height.

-Mewtwo’s trailer is done in the style of the Pokemon anime, he’ll be shown after Jigglypuff, all the Pokemon on the disc are in his trailer. He’s got all his Melee stuff but he’s heavier and quicker, teleport is a lot more functional. Mega Mewtwo Y is his final smash, gives his moves a strong purple aura and he hits way harder. Mewtwo’s trailer is scheduled to be released in between the release of the 3DS Japanese version and the Japanese Wii U version.

-Bowser Jr. is an Assist Trophy who throws down a handful of bob-omb items (you can pick up and throw like normal), then drills down in his Koopa clown car.

-The Pyrosphere boss is Other M Ridley, the playable one is a scaled down Super Metroid Ridley. A lot like Charizard but faster, lots of aerial mobility.

-Chrom seems in-between Ike and Marth, he has lots of quick spinning attacks and is very acrobatic, his final smash is class change into Great Lord with the exhalted falchion

-Sauria from Star Fox Adventures is a stage, there are ruins in the background and dinosaurs run by. As far as I know the only Star Fox stage, don’t know if Smash Taunts are on here or not. This stage is exclusive to the Wii U.

-The Donkey Kong Country Returns stage is based on the sunset level from that game, the characters themselves don’t turn into shadows. This stage is available on the 3DS and Wii U.

-The Kalos stage transitions between every Elite 4 chamber until it arrives in the champion’s room, Tyrantrum comes out of a Pokeball and is a boss once it gets to that part, once you beat him the cycle starts over. This stage is exclusive to the Wii U

-A Luigi Mansion: Dark Moon stage is available and is called Dark Moon. This stage transitions between the main 5 Mansions (Gloomy Manor, Haunted Towers, Old Clockworks, Secret Mine, Treacherous Mansion). This stage is Exclusive to the 3DS.

-All the Gematsu stuff is real and that the only cuts are Snake and Squirtle/Ivysaur (While Squirtle and Ivysaur are returning as Downloadable-Content Snake will not be returning in any way).
I'm not too sure yet what to think of it. Discuss.

edit: I found this on Tumblr, the actual text on 4chan may have been worded differently.

Last edited:

Kenith

Overkill Sarcasm
The Fabulous Friendly Super Sparkle Train
NNID
RipoffmanXKTG
3DS FC
4210-4224-9442

-Downloadble-Content is confirmed. At least 3 characters will be available. 5 Stages will be available.

-Alternate costumes will be available on the disc. To gain access to these costumes you must perform tasks, very similar to how you unlock characters or stages. Most characters have only one Alternate costume some characters will have two.

-King K. Rool, Mewtwo, and Ridley are to be on-disc as the final characters to be announced.

-Isaac confirmed as Downloadable-Content, he is a very quick character (slightly slower than Greninja). Isaac uses magic and his Long Sword to fight.

King K. Rool will be the final character to be announced 2 weeks prior to the release of Super Smash Bros. 3DS JPN. He’s one of the slowest in the game but has a variety of mid-range slow projectiles; he throws his crown, shoots cannonballs, etc., recovery is jetpack from DKC3, not much height.

-Mewtwo’s trailer is done in the style of the Pokemon anime, he’ll be shown after Jigglypuff, all the Pokemon on the disc are in his trailer. He’s got all his Melee stuff but he’s heavier and quicker, teleport is a lot more functional. Mega Mewtwo Y is his final smash, gives his moves a strong purple aura and he hits way harder. Mewtwo’s trailer is scheduled to be released in between the release of the 3DS Japanese version and the Japanese Wii U version.

-Bowser Jr. is an Assist Trophy who throws down a handful of bob-omb items (you can pick up and throw like normal), then drills down in his Koopa clown car.

-The Pyrosphere boss is Other M Ridley, the playable one is a scaled down Super Metroid Ridley. A lot like Charizard but faster, lots of aerial mobility.

-Chrom seems in-between Ike and Marth, he has lots of quick spinning attacks and is very acrobatic, his final smash is class change into Great Lord with the exhalted falchion

-Sauria from Star Fox Adventures is a stage, there are ruins in the background and dinosaurs run by. As far as I know the only Star Fox stage, don’t know if Smash Taunts are on here or not. This stage is exclusive to the Wii U.

-The Donkey Kong Country Returns stage is based on the sunset level from that game, the characters themselves don’t turn into shadows. This stage is available on the 3DS and Wii U.

-The Kalos stage transitions between every Elite 4 chamber until it arrives in the champion’s room, Tyrantrum comes out of a Pokeball and is a boss once it gets to that part, once you beat him the cycle starts over. This stage is exclusive to the Wii U

-A Luigi Mansion: Dark Moon stage is available and is called Dark Moon. This stage transitions between the main 5 Mansions (Gloomy Manor, Haunted Towers, Old Clockworks, Secret Mine, Treacherous Mansion). This stage is Exclusive to the 3DS.

-All the Gematsu stuff is real and that the only cuts are Snake and Squirtle/Ivysaur (While Squirtle and Ivysaur are returning as Downloadable-Content Snake will not be returning in any way).
A few problems with this

- Seems like a dream come true for anyone who cares about this game. In addition, all of these character choices are obvious ones.

- Why on Earth would a Luigi's Mansion 2 stage be called "Dark Moon"? That's an object in the game itself and the game is called "Luigi's Mansion 2" in everywhere but the US, so the connection would be lost/make no sense anywhere but here.

- I don't think there will be alternate costumes that extensive. If there are actual costumes, why did this guy only mention Mario and Olimar's? Also, Shadow Mario and Louie costumes seems a bit far fetched.

- Why is he referencing the Gematsu leak? He's obviously trying to stir up debate.

- Bowser Jr.'s AT seems a bit random.

- I doubt Squirtle and Ivysaur will be DLC. They were cut for a reason. (We don't even know if they are, but if they are, then that holds true)

As for some things I do like, Mewtwo's trailer being styled after the anime would be wise, as that is where his (and every other Pokemon in Smash) popularity came from. It would look pretty cool too, although we have had another anime-styled trailer already for Palutena.

- The Star Fox Adventures stage sounds like a good idea to me. I've yet to play it, but it's better than a generic space stage.

Last edited:

EbonyRubberWolf

Banned via Warnings

edit: I found this on Tumblr, the actual text on 4chan may have been worded differently.
Please tell me this isn't holding any credibility with discussions here. This is such a 'fan-dream' leak that it trips over itself right out of the gate. Plus, a Sauria stage with no Krystal playable? Nevermind that it would put the character count at 50 with no details as to how Mii Fighters and the Random button are accounted for on the CSS. Who's # 51?

Tr1pleDee

Together now!
NNID
Tr1pleDee
3DS FC
2964-8670-3007
Switch FC
SW-6770-0026-7427
The other thing I find questionable about the leak is it states the DKCR stage is on both versions. Of course it may be an exception to the "different stages on different versions" rule seeing as the game was released on both console and handheld, and DK doesn't really have any other relevant handheld titles.

Miffa

The Money Man
NNID
DeanMiffa
The other thing I find questionable about the leak is it states the DKCR stage is on both versions. Of course it may be an exception to the "different stages on different versions" rule seeing as the game was released on both console and handheld, and DK doesn't really have any other relevant handheld titles.
I don't think there have been many Donkey Kong games in handhelds on top of my head.

Tr1pleDee

Together now!
NNID
Tr1pleDee
3DS FC
2964-8670-3007
Switch FC
SW-6770-0026-7427
I don't think there have been many Donkey Kong games in handhelds on top of my head.
Donkey Kong Land games, King of Swing, and Jungle Climber is pretty much it. Of course theres MvDK as well but thats more of a crossover-esque thing.

D

Deleted member

It's obviously fake, but I'd love it if this were real mainly because Lucas isn't cut.

Tr1pleDee

Together now!
NNID
Tr1pleDee
3DS FC
2964-8670-3007
Switch FC
SW-6770-0026-7427
Threw this together in roster maker. The roster that the "leak" is suggesting. (DLC at bottom)

If the Mii Fighters don't take up an actual slot on the CSS, then this leak is missing a character.

MYU2

Smash Apprentice

Don't believe this leak guys!! The kid posted it on GameFaqs & is a well known troll (he's also in middle school, don't know how a kid has connections with Nintendo).

YoshiandToad

Smash Hero
Threw this together in roster maker. The roster that the "leak" is suggesting. (DLC at bottom)

If the Mii Fighters don't take up an actual slot on the CSS, then this leak is missing a character.
So we get not only no cuts(bar Snake) but we also get three BIG non Gematsu leak fan favourites added to the initial roster and one as DLC?

Needless to say I think we're going to be cynical on this 'leak'.

Last edited:

Morbi

Scavenger
Confessions:

1- I would like Ridley in the game cause it will make a lot of people happy and he would also be something "new" (different from most character in many ways), but i don't care that much if he doesn't end up in the game :drshrug:

2- I hate the idea of Paper Mario, don't ask why... i just hate it:drflip:

3- I LOVE GHIRAHIM!, I want him so much in the game but... i don't think he will be in the game:drsad:

4- Whenever i see someone asking for Lucina and Robin instead of Chrom, i feel like they don't want to accept reality, is going to be Chrom, want it or not...:drwtf:

5- I don't really want King K. Rool in the game, i feel like he's a goofy villain :drifloon:
The reality of the situation is that no Fire Emblem character has objective evidence in their favor. Your sentiment is completely and utterly arbitrary. If you can cite anything that makes Chrom the "obvious choice," you would be the first.

domokl

Smash Lord
i hope if sakurai does add roy and lucas back as dlc he atleast takes the time to declone roy and give lucas some new specials before adding them back.

Croph

Hold Baroque Inside
NNID
IceCreamStar
3DS FC
3196-4596-5388
I feel like Roy could be an interesting fighter if de-cloned. And in his source game, Roy's swordplay is totally different then Marth's (SoS is more like a broadsword), so hey, that's one way to de-clone him.

Lucas is in the same boat for me. I wanna see him get a rhythm-based move. T_T However, I'm really curious to see fighters like Falco and Ganondorf and wonder if they're gonna be more unique. We'll have to wait and see. I'm excited to see them though!

Last edited:

Kenith

Overkill Sarcasm
The Fabulous Friendly Super Sparkle Train
NNID
RipoffmanXKTG
3DS FC
4210-4224-9442
The reality of the situation is that no Fire Emblem character has objective evidence in their favor. Your sentiment is completely and utterly arbitrary. If you can cite anything that makes Chrom the "obvious choice," you would be the first.
He's on the Gematsu leak. Isn't that enough for you?

CrusherMania1592

Deaf Smasher
Premium
3DS FC
5472-7454-3545
For fun I did made a roster with 60 playable characters, probably a lot of people will be upset with the cuts and inclusions that I made but I think is the best and most optimal approach to a perfect roster.

.n_n.
Great roster! However...

- Lack of Lucas is quite disturbing. Jiggs, not as much but she still has fans!
- Who is Nell?
- Why Ganon? Would've been a spot for someone like Midna, Impa, or Vaati instead
- Two Fire Emblem characters, yet we have four DK? Probably should give Fire Emblem a third spot (unless Nell is and I don't realize it). Give that spot to Lyn instead

Overall...9.3/10

Dammit, I almost got excited for this, but kept myself down from disappointment

I have a theory for you guys: Suppose somehow Nintendo buys Capcom and Sega before Smash 5, do you see a possible second rep for either of the third party characters turning first party?

YoshiandToad

Smash Hero
I have a theory for you guys: Suppose somehow Nintendo buys Capcom and Sega before Smash 5, do you see a possible second rep for either of the third party characters turning first party?
No.

I doubt Nintendo will anyway, but even if they theoretically did, at this point it'd be far too late in development to get in on the disc's roster. Although I imagine the amount of DLC requests for Shadow, Tails, Knuckles and Eggman would skyrocket.

FlareHabanero

Banned via Warnings
http://kotaku.com/pac-man-almost-got-into-super-smash-bros-brawl-1599610742

The title is a bit misleading, basically Pac-man being suggested by Miyamoto and the idea being initially shelved due to being far fetched.

Sakurai then talked about how an idea and actually excecuting it are two different things, and reiterates how a character must standout from the cast and be entertaining.

Oh yeah, and despite what people suggest, there isn't anything that claims the characters are determined by sales or reps.

Morbi

Scavenger
http://kotaku.com/pac-man-almost-got-into-super-smash-bros-brawl-1599610742

The title is a bit misleading, basically Pac-man being suggested by Miyamoto and the idea being initially shelved due to being far fetched.

Sakurai then talked about how an idea and actually excecuting it are two different things, and reiterates how a character must standout from the cast and be entertaining.

Oh yeah, and despite what people suggest, there isn't anything that claims the characters are determined by sales or reps.
Despite the fact that Sakurai never blatantly states that sales or "representatives" influence his decision, it is still a contributing factor. That is the case intrinsically, at the very least.

DraginHikari

Emerald Star Legacy
NNID
Draginhikari
3DS FC
4940-5455-2427
Switch FC
SW-7120-1891-0342
It is an important distinction to make the word criteria usually refers to someone kind of established guideline that is followed, while a factor is something that is thought about and is not necessary a requirement or part of the established plan..

Spinosaurus

Treasure Hunter
NNID
WarioLand
Yea i guess that does count i was more thinking the normal Donkey Kong games.
Technically the arcade DKs ARE the normal DK games. =P

...I hate how unappreciated they are, tell you the truth. DK94 is one of the best games of all time.

DraginHikari

Emerald Star Legacy
NNID
Draginhikari
3DS FC
4940-5455-2427
Switch FC
SW-7120-1891-0342
I thought the GB DK was a pretty good game, they took the original forumla of the original aracade game and expanded on it pretty effectively.

AncientTobacco

Smash Lord
Yeah, I don't know what it is with Kotaku and these misleading titles. They did the same with Mii as well: Sakurai stated that he "immediately decided against it" yet the title clamed they were "almost part of Smash Bros. Brawl".

Anyway, I'm willing to bet that Little Mac was also considered for Smash before at some point. When Sakurai talked about him in the Smash Direct, he said that "It's a bit difficult to put a diverse moveset together"; He might've shelved Mac for that in the past.

Spinosaurus

Treasure Hunter
NNID
WarioLand
Anyway, I'm willing to bet that Little Mac was also considered for Smash before at some point. When Sakurai talked about him in the Smash Direct, he said that "It's a bit difficult to put a diverse moveset together"; He might've shelved Mac for that in the past.
I don't think so, but that quote does bother me when Steve Fox and Dudley exist. They're two boxing characters that are among the most diverse in a cast full of varying movesets (more than Smash I'd say), with Steve Fox being arguably one of the most dynamic and unique characters in any fighting game. I don't think making a boxing moveset unique is particularly hard considering the complexity of the sport. It's almost a tradition to have a boxing character or two in a fighting game series.

Also, having Mac be weak in the air does show that he knows about boxing well enough to realize how important the feet are for shifting weight. (Hence why his aerial attack deal little damage) Or maybe it's Bamco and the Tekken team working their Steve Fox magic and boxing knowledge onto Little Mac.

Last edited:

HylianHeroBigBoss

Smash Lord
NNID
HylianHeroSnake

Thats far too tailored to fan wants then what actually seems real at this point.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom