• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Character Discussion Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

Frostwraith

The Demon King
NNID
Frostwraith357
I'd be fine with Dark Pit as an alt mode for Pit. From a development standpoint, all it needs to be done is creating new color swaps and switching the voice clips (the latter is helped by how both Pits are voiced by the same actor on both Japanese and English).

With the sheer amount of weapons on Uprising and custom movesets added to the mix, who knows if he won't be a separate character?

Invisible Shiny Bulbasaur

Smash Journeyman
NNID
BigUglyMan-Doll
I have to say I'm a little surprised at how things went down yesterday. I expected Pac-Man to be revealed at the end of the Digital Presentation, and Palutena to be confirmed later, after the Invitational, for the simple reason that Pac-Man is far more recognizable and would have made for a bigger hype moment than Palutena, (See: Mega Man's reveal last year, or Snake's Brawl reveal- third party characters have been used as the biggest hype machines) who seems like she would be basically unknown to anyone who hasn't played the games and who doesn't bother reading any SSB speculation.
I actually really enjoyed all three trailers, Palutena's least simply because hers was literally the least biggest surprise of all Smash Bros. newcomers so far, and because I haven't seen the Kid Icarus anime (that is a thing, right?) it was clearly referencing, so those two factors combined kept me from enjoying it to the fullest, though I still think it was great.
I loved Pac-Man's trailer for all of it's retro goodness. It was very well done and I felt it really emphasized Pac-Man's importance to gaming and just how iconic he is, especially standing next to Mario, Mega Man, and Sonic. My only complaint is that I wish I had seen the trailer first, before knowing what it was, rather than watching it on the official site after seeing the Pic of the Day. It would have made a bigger impact.
By the way, congrats Pac-Fans. I am seriously happy and excited for you.

My absolute favorite trailer was, ironically, the one that revealed the character I was least excited for.
Seeing Iwata and Reggie face off in what was probably the most ridiculously dorky and yet simultaneously epic battle I have ever seen in my life was both hilarious and awesome. I've watched it at least three times and was grinning like an idiot throughout the whole thing each time, and probably will do so again when I watch it in the future.
Since it had lacked the now-iconic and, I thought, mandatory flaming Smash Bros. logo intro, I wasn't 100% sure what I was seeing at first, but I still found it immensely enjoyable. After the Smash Bros. logo finally appeared, I had a brief moment of thinking, "Oh, please don't confirm Reggie and Iwata as newcomers," but then I saw the Mii boots and realized what it was. I think my initial reaction to seeing the Mi Fighters was something like :ohwell: "..." but once Sakurai explained how they worked I became more okay with the idea.

I am going to eat a bit of crow now, and save a bit for later in case Sal is proven 100% correct, because prior to this week, I considered Miis to have sort of a 50/50 chance, or perhaps it would be more accurate to say 49/51, because I was leaning toward them not making the cut. For every reason I could think of why they were likely, I could think of a counterargument, and I felt that the odds were stacked slightly against them, my biggest concern being what I call the Mii Hitler Conundrum. I am very glad to see that I was correct in predicting/hoping that, if Miis were playable, that they would not be playable With Anyone online, which pretty much solves the aforementioned Conundrum.
Overall, I am okay with the Mii Fighters' inclusion, and I am happy for the people who really wanted them.

mahnamahna

Smash Cadet
Hmm....

At this point, the dream reveals would be-
Meta Knight and Wario in July
Mewtwo and Chrom at the August direct
12 unlockable characters with 6 revealed also unlockable. (48 characters total)

Unlockables -
Luigi
Marth
Jigglypuff
Ness
Captain Falcon
Sonic
Little Mac
Ganondorf
Chrom
Shulk
Chorus Kids
R.O.B.
Mr. Game and Watch
Ridley
King K. Rool
Mewtwo
Pac-Man
Megaman

DLC - 10 for represented franchises, 2 for new reps (12 characters in total):
  1. Lucas
  2. Snake
  3. Roy
  4. Pichu
  5. Sceptile
  6. Dixie Kong
  7. Bowser Jr.
  8. Tom Nook or Toad (someone ridiculous for the lulz :dazwa:)
  9. Ghiralham
  10. Tetra (Toon Zelda/Sheik)
  11. Chibi-Robo
  12. Takamara

Last edited:

N3ON

Gone Exploring
BRoomer
I find it odd that there has yet to be a third-party on the cover of a Smash game considering even their image would definitely help move units.

Mario & Sonic Guy

Old rivalries live on!
NNID
TPitch5
3DS FC
5327-1637-5096
Mario Kart 8's box art had Rosalina, but she was still an unlockable. I did kind of point out that maybe this time around, you'll be able to encounter fighters that you haven't unlocked yet in Classic Mode, but you'll still have to complete certain objectives to have a chance of using them yourself; think back to Super Smash Bros.'s 1P Game, where Luigi was an opponent, despite being an unlockable.

GunGunW

Smash Lord
NNID
GunGunW
View attachment 15964
I think Marth, Rosalina, and Little Mac will be a starter.
I have a feeling Rosalina will be a starter character too even though it would make no sense considering every game she's been playable in to date she's either been unlockable or DLC. It's not a big deal, but it wouldn't really sit right with me if she was a starter character and Luigi was an unlockable.

Zzuxon

Smash Champion
NNID
zzuxon
3DS FC
3695-0453-0481
I think all characters will be starters, or at least, the vast majority. I don't think unlockable characters is a feature that is returning.

Weeman

Smash Crusader
I think all characters will be starters, or at least, the vast majority. I don't think unlockable characters is a feature that is returning.
Well that is an understandable belief, but considering someof the most iconic smash moments are the "Challenger approaching" screens, and i feel that taking them out would be like taking Captain Falcon out.

Last edited:

Bowserlick

Smash Hero
I still think that there has to be one or two more characters in addition to all of Sal's confirmed and unconfirmed characters.

There is still no new heavyweight.
There is still no new DK rep.
(Both of these can be solved with one character)

Leafeon523

Smash Ace
NNID
Leafeon523
3DS FC
2466-1607-7000
I still think that there has to be one or two more characters in addition to all of Sal's confirmed and unconfirmed characters.

There is still no new heavyweight.
There is still no new DK rep.
(Both of these can be solved with one character)
Won't Rosalina be a heavyweight? She could also put on a DK mask to solve the 2nd issue:troll:

Leafeon523

Smash Ace
NNID
Leafeon523
3DS FC
2466-1607-7000
Rosalina is actually surprisingly light.

I mean, not Jigglypuff level light, but light, nonetheless. She just has a large frame.
That's odd. I remember being heavy in mk8, a game that really needed more normal weight characters in the roster. I guess it must be a balancing issue.

Bowserlick

Smash Hero
Won't Rosalina be a heavyweight? She could also put on a DK mask to solve the 2nd issue:troll:
I think Sakurai said she would be a light weight do to the fact that she floats just like Mewtwo.

Maybe Palutena would be considered a heavyweight.

Pacack

Super Pac-Fan
NNID
Pacack
3DS FC
0688-5284-6845
That's odd. I remember being heavy in mk8, a game that really needed more normal weight characters in the roster. I guess it must be a balancing issue.
It's definitely for balancing reasons. A puppeteer character can end up overpowered (or even seriously broken) if they don't have a major weakness. Hers is that she can be KO'd really easily with her light weight and large frame.

Last edited:

RoysOurBoy

Smash Apprentice
3DS FC
0662-5238-5359
This was the latest Gematsu leak:

- Last E3 before game's launch (obviously)
- Participating characters: Pac-Man, Mii Fighter, Goddess Palutena, Shulk, Chrom, Chorus Men (none of these are new, obv, so I take he means these are the participating characters for E3?)
- There has been internal debate about keeping Lucas versus Ness, apparently Lucas is likely to get the cut
- Nintendo is planning post-launch character DLC, source doesn't like this as he thinks it's greedy

Weeman

Smash Crusader
Not me, I could easily see her getting in. Or become DLC later on.
I don't think DLC characters are going to be a thing, not even as "costumes". Impa might actually replace Sheik in the next smash, seeing she's actually one of the most recurring figures in Zelda, but for this one, it ain't happening.

Oniric Spriter

Smash Ace
I don't believe the Gematsu leak at all. Pacman? Miis? Everyone were expecting them so that's just pure guess.
Palutena had some many hints it'd be silly not to have her as one of the leaked characters.

Chorus men just sounds so off btw, if they had problems with IC in the 3DS why would you try with not 2 but 3 characters at the same time? Lucas was going to replace Ness, what changed since then? Specially now that we have both cut one it'd be silly and I believe that if there's ever DLC him (Lucas) will be priority.

Welshy91

Smash Ace
I'm hoping they're saving the really good characters for last. Yesterday was an absolute nightmare for me, so my hype is still coasting off of Megaman from E3 13 and Little Mac (and Greninja to a lesser extent), It seems like they've gotten all the crap out of the way so they can blow us away on launch.

Sausage Zeldas

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Sanics
3DS FC
2509-2629-0987
Mewtwo being mentioned by Sakurai
When was this?
Chorus men just sounds so off btw, if they had problems with IC in the 3DS why would you try with not 2 but 3 characters at the same time?
It's assumed that they'd be one entity that looks like three figures. Think Thardus. There's probably a better example that I just can't remember right now.

Last edited:

thisguyisnotcool

Smash Cadet
I don't believe the Gematsu leak at all. Pacman? Miis? Everyone were expecting them so that's just pure guess.
Palutena had some many hints it'd be silly not to have her as one of the leaked characters.

Chorus men just sounds so off btw, if they had problems with IC in the 3DS why would you try with not 2 but 3 characters at the same time? Lucas was going to replace Ness, what changed since then? Specially now that we have both cut one it'd be silly and I believe that if there's ever DLC him (Lucas) will be priority.
Of course eveyone expected
..........after they leaked

DustyPumpkin

Smash Lord
NNID
DustyPumpkin
3DS FC
4038-5990-1614
Switch FC
0550-6678-6601
I personally think "Chorus Kids" actually Referred to Marshal

Joe D.

Smash Ace
NNID
NeroSnare
3DS FC
2552-1665-5337
If character DLC is a thing, then it's a great solution to heart broken fans. However, it's a big risk.

By the way, let us take a look at the characters who are still in the running to make an appearence.

-Mewtwo
-K. Rool
-Snake
-Takamaru
-Shulk
-Krystal
-Ridley (sort of)
-Isaac
-Chorus Men
-Ken Griffey Jr.
-Mach Rider
-Ghirahim