• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Character Discussion Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

BluePikmin11

Akko is my dear daughter!
NNID
blue
Considering how Dark Pit is basically a clone of Pit, and considering that Dark Pit originated as an alternate costume for Pit, it seems only fitting to make him an alternate costume once again, maybe even going so far as to give him his own voice.
But now Sakurai from the looks of it is treating him as his own character now.
It's not that much fitting now.

Rockaphin

Smash Champion
NNID
Rockaphin
3DS FC
2595-0113-8473
Considering how Dark Pit is basically a clone of Pit, and considering that Dark Pit originated as an alternate costume for Pit, it seems only fitting to make him an alternate costume once again, maybe even going so far as to give him his own voice.
While some characters still have their old voice clips. That in my opinion wouldn't be too fair. Well, I mean that could change but we're approaching the release dates.

False Sense

Ad Astra Per Aspera
NNID
FalseSense
3DS FC
3368-2599-3209
But now Sakurai from the looks of it is treating him as his own character now.
It's not that much fitting now.
What about characters like Dark Link, and the alternate genders for the Villager and Wii Fit Trainer? Those are all technically their own character, but that didn't stop them from becoming alternate costumes. And again, maybe Sakurai could give a Dark Pit alternate special treatment and give him his own voice? Or he could just be an Assist/Hazard/something.

Swift Fox

Smash Lord
So it seems that the random icon is mandatory, as seen in Smash Bros demo.

So: if you're going to use I.E. 9x5 table, you CAN'T use all 50 slots as there are only 49 slots as the one is reserved for random icon.

BluePikmin11

NNID
blue
What about characters like Dark Link, and the alternate genders for the Villager and Wii Fit Trainer? Those are all technically their own character, but that didn't stop them from becoming alternate costumes. And again, maybe Sakurai could give a Dark Pit alternate special treatment and give him his own voice? Or he could just be an Assist/Hazard/something.
Male and female alt. costumes don't affect Dark Pit. As for Dark Link, he may be his own character, but there isn't any noticable weapons for him to use that could make for an interesting moveset. Dark Pit has his Dark Pit Staff and Darkness Bow (It's in his official artwork too) and other interesting weapons in KI:U that he could use to make him possibly completely different from Pit.

Frostwraith

The Demon King
NNID
Frostwraith357
I think if Dark Pit was his own character, a "Dark Pit joins the battle" caption would have appeared right after he appeared on that trailer for shock factor.

My opinion is that the tease is for an alt mode for Pit. This is He Fit Trainer all over again (well, sort of).

Given there's tons of character customization this time and there's loads of Kid Icarus: Uprising content this time, I think there might be an option to play as Dark Pit through his counterpart.

Sausage Zeldas

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Sanics
3DS FC
2509-2629-0987
Male and female alt. costumes don't affect Dark Pit. As for Dark Link, he may be his own character, but there isn't any noticable weapons for him to use that could make for an interesting moveset. Dark Pit has his Dark Pit Staff and Darkness Bow (It's in his official artwork too) and other interesting weapons in KI:U that he could use to make him possibly completely different from Pit.
Dark Samus has its own stuff, too, but it's not its own character. Granted, not an alternate costume, either, but it'd be sort of insulting to add someone who is literally a clone over other more interesting, independent characters, or even Dark Samus, who isn't really, per se, a clone of Samus.

Last edited:

BluePikmin11

NNID
blue
Dark Samus has its own stuff, too, but it's not its own character. Granted, not an alternate costume, either, but it'd be sort of insulting to add someone who is literally a clone over other more interesting, independent characters, or even Dark Samus, who isn't really, per se, a clone of Samus.
It sounds like an opinion from what I'm reading here, which will obviously won't affect Dark Pit's chances anyway.
Going with that logic, it would be insulting to add Lucas in the roster, who is simply a blond Ness over other "interesting" characters. :p

I think if Dark Pit was his own character, a "Dark Pit joins the battle" caption would have appeared right after he appeared on that trailer for shock factor.

My opinion is that the tease is for an alt mode for Pit. This is He Fit Trainer all over again (well, sort of).

Given there's tons of character customization this time and there's loads of Kid Icarus: Uprising content this time, I think there might be an option to play as Dark Pit through his counterpart.
Where was the caption for Game and Watch then?

Frostwraith

The Demon King
NNID
Frostwraith357
Where was the caption for Game and Watch then?
What I said was an opinion. Besides, Mr. Game & Watch is a veteran, whereas Dark Pit would be a newcomer...

What if Sakurai shows the Dark Pit Staff appearing as a custom moveset option for Pit?

Sausage Zeldas

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Sanics
3DS FC
2509-2629-0987
It sounds like an opinion from what I'm reading here, which will obviously won't affect Dark Pit's chances anyway.
Going with that logic, it would be insulting to add Lucas in the roster, who is simply a blond Ness over other "interesting" characters. :p
It is opinion. It's hard to contribute anything to these sorts of discussions that isn't an opinion.
And although having Lucas was a pretty odd choice, no, Lucas and Dark Pit aren't quite comparable. Lucas isn't actually a blond Ness. Dark Pit is actually a dark-haired Pit. If you wanted to make any sort of comparison, Sheik and ZSS are more relevant.

BluePikmin11

NNID
blue
What I said was an opinion. Besides, Mr. Game & Watch is a veteran, whereas Dark Pit would be a newcomer...

What if Sakurai shows the Dark Pit Staff appearing as a custom moveset option for Pit?
Then it probably deconfirms obviously, but so far all custom movesets seem to revolve around the stats of special moves. Were there any other custom move shown?
Pit having the Dark Pit staff is pretty unlikely anyways.

It is opinion. It's hard to contribute anything to these sorts of discussions that isn't an opinion.
And although having Lucas was a pretty odd choice, no, Lucas and Dark Pit aren't quite comparable. Lucas isn't actually a blond Ness. Dark Pit is actually a dark-haired Pit. If you wanted to make any sort of comparison, Sheik and ZSS are more relevant.
I see then, but really it shouldn't damage Dark Pit's chances anyway just because they are so similar.

Last edited:

Frostwraith

The Demon King
NNID
Frostwraith357
Then it probably deconfirms obviously, but so far all custom movesets seem to revolve around the stats of special moves. Were there any other custom move shown?
Pit having the Dark Pit staff is pretty unlikely anyways.
Palutena and Mii have totally different options for their special attacks.

Also, it makes more sense for Pit and Dark Pit sharing the same moveset and custom moves, considering both share the same fighting style.

This said, I don't mind Dark Pit as his own character at all because I feel he could be a very distinct character, but I'm not going to get my hopes up, because quite frankly, I don't think Dark Pit will be his own character.

All I want is at least an option to play as him as an alt for Pit. It would be good enough for me.

GamerGuy09

Smash Master
Switch FC
SW-3742-4712-6319

Okay, I tried my best to fit all of the possible slots in. Ignore the names as they don't really matter.

I was able to fit in 47 + 1 Random character select squares with out them getting to small. Could there be a way to add 4 more without them getting ridiculously small?

BluePikmin11

NNID
blue
Wait Palutena?
She has multiple special moves?
If you're going by the trailer, there's a possibility any of those attacks could either be normal or special attacks, too hard to tell really.
Miis are most likely a special case, I don't think any other character will have as much moveset customization as them.
Dark Pit's chances are still looking good for now.

Sausage Zeldas

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Sanics
3DS FC
2509-2629-0987
Palutena and Mii have totally different options for their special attacks.
Pit's been revealed for a while and they spoke specifically about Palutena and Miis having completely different specials, so I doubt Pit's going to share that.
Wait Palutena?
She has multiple special moves?
If you're going by the trailer, there's a possibility any of those attacks could either be normal or special attacks, too hard to tell really.
Miis are most likely a special case, I don't think any other character will have as much moveset customization as them.
Dark Pit's chances are still looking good for now.
http://www.smashbros.com/us/howto/entry2.html

Last edited:

Jason the Yoshi

Watching Me, Wanting Me
Dark Pit discussion. Interesting

I think if Sakurai made Dark Samus an AT, he'd eventually do likewise to Dark Pit. That or he'd just be an alternate costume for Pit.

Baskerville

That's a paddlin'
NNID
RedGazelle7
3DS FC
4184-3881-5805
Found this on GAF:

A Rythem Heaven enemy...
The **** am I looking at...?

BluePikmin11

NNID
blue
Found this on GAF:

A Rythem Heaven enemy...
The **** am I looking at...?
The sneaky ghost from the first Rhythm Heaven game, one of my favorite minigames.

According to some folks on other threads, Dark Pit's color is not available for Pit.
Holy mother... oh myy..... this just might help Dark Pit. :D

Last edited:

ElPanandero

Smash Lord
NNID
ElPanandero
I'm ambivalent to the Kid Icarus series, So subjectively I really don't care about any newcomers from it, but I would be pretty upset if they added Plateuna and Dark Pit and continued to neglect unrepped series *cough Golden sun cough*

Hotfeet444

Smash Master
NNID
FeliciaFan
3DS FC
1590-5624-2529
Must be a pretty slow day if we're really talking about the possibility of Kid Icarus getting three characters. They're tied with Donkey Kong. Until Donkey Kong expands and gets more characters, I think Kid Icarus is MORE than sated at this point.

Last edited:

Morbi

Scavenger
Must be a pretty slow day if we're really talking about the possibility of Kid Icarus getting three characters. They're tied with Donkey Kong. Until Donkey Kong expands and gets more characters, I think Kid Icarus is MORE than sated at this point.
Why is Kid Icarus arbitrarily tied to Donkey Kong again? Do you have a source to support that? Or is it your subjective opinion?

D

Deleted member

Okay, I tried my best to fit all of the possible slots in. Ignore the names as they don't really matter.

I was able to fit in 47 + 1 Random character select squares with out them getting to small. Could there be a way to add 4 more without them getting ridiculously small?
Whats up with 2 Lucarios?

Shorts

Zef Side
Premium
3DS FC
3136-6583-3704
While some characters still have their old voice clips. That in my opinion wouldn't be too fair. Well, I mean that could change but we're approaching the release dates.
Come on. It's either this or never see him playable. Why be all high and mighty when we know this is BEST CASE for him? It's easy fan service.

I believe sal has leaked every character, it's coming down to which veterans aren't returning, and DLC speculation at this point.

Brawl cast -Squirtle - Ivysaur for sure

Lucas and Snake are both questionable

+ Megaman, Pac Man, Rosalina, Wii Fit Trainer, Greninja, Little Mac, Villager, Palutena, Miis, Chrom, Chorus Kids, and Shulk

This leaves us with 49 characters, assuming Snake AND Lucas come back. Now, it sounds like Lucas is cut, so that leaves us with 48. The final piece to the puzzle is Snake. Is he in? Or no?

We pretty much have the roster now guys.

DLC is what I'm aiming to speculate about at this point.

Last edited:

Frostwraith

The Demon King
NNID
Frostwraith357
If DLC is happening (which is likely considering how many things Sal's leak got right), the cut veterans gain another chance.

Take the Lucas case. If they're decided on whether to keep Ness or Lucas, the other one could perfectly be finished post-release and become a downloadable character.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom