• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Character Discussion Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

Cobalsh

Smash Champion
3DS FC
2578-3430-9913
Again, Meta Knight may have been overpowered in Brawl, but he is an important and popular Nintendo character. He's worth the time and effort of nerfing. Also, referring to Brawl's priority list, he was the most prioritized newcomer next to Wario. Cutting him is unlikely since he is likely a high priority character again. Also important to mention...
View attachment 14382
An image Sakurai drew during very early development of Smash 4.
I would think all of the characters included were being worked on at the time, or at the very least planned to be in the game. A character like Meta Knight has no way of being cut from the get go, and being high priority I doubt time constraints would hurt him at all. Factor Halberd's return into that and you have a character with virtually no chance of being cut.

Sometimes I wonder if drawings like these are what caused Sakurai's hand issue.

Invisible Shiny Bulbasaur

Smash Journeyman
NNID
BigUglyMan-Doll
How would you guys react if this was the Assist Trophy line-up?

I would be almost completely satisfied.
Let me break it down.

Bowser Jr. - Arguably the only remaining main character from the Super Mario series (read: the platformers, not Kart, sports, Party, RPG, or other spinoffs) who hasn't been featured as more than a trophy yet. I could see him as possibly playable, or else definitely an assist.

Paper Mario - would be the first alternate version of a playable character to be an assist. Somehow that seems wrong to me. He'd be better off playable, or as the most complicated alt costume ever, complete with different moves, but that will never happen.

Waluigi - Hey, what gives? How come Dillon gets individual fingers? WAAAAA! Waluigi hates this game!

Cranky Kong - So much yes. If he isn't playable (which could totally happen, right? ...Right?), I totally want him to be an assist, sitting in his rocking chair, talking about the good old days, until someone attacks him, at which point he would jumps out of that chair and retaliate. Would love Rambi, too.

Fire Emblem ladies - makes me hope for someone more unique than Chrom to join Marth and Ike (I don't hate him, he just seems boring standing next to them). But I approve.

Metroid assists - I see you didn't add any new ones, which I think is realistic and okay, since those three are a great selection.

Zelda assists - those would probably be my top picks to represent the N64, GCN, and Wii eras of the series, but I wonder whether we couldn't have an older rep, as well. Some 8- or 16-bit enemy. Would also accept Groose if Ghirahim is a fighter or boss or something.

I approve of everyone after Tingle all the way up to Isaac, and would be pleased to see them and not too let down by any of them not being playable, but ...

Isaac is my most wanted newcomer, and I really hope to see him, possibly with his Dark Dawn design as a fighter, with Matthew taking his dad's place as assist. The only other character who I could possibly be more excited to see would be a Melee-intro sized, Brawl-styled, Super Metroid-inspired Ridley, who I sincerely doubt will make it in now thanks to that eye-scarring, pitiful excuse for a Ridley clone we saw in Other M. The only way I can prepare myself for that disappointment is to tell myself every time I think about it, that if Ridley is playable, he will be Roidley instead. Which is the only think worse than Roidley being a boss. There, I... I said it. /unnecessary rant

Ray - I also hope to see him playable, but won't be heartbroken if he's only an assist.

As for all the rest, I approve very much and would be excited to see so many retro reps, especially Muddy, who is awesome, and Sheriff. Though I would rather see Tails than emo-punk-LOOK I'M ANGSTY-Sonic-palette-swap. No offense to Shadow fans, I've just never liked him. At all.
Also, Proto Man and/or Zero would be cool.
Also also, Andy could be a cool fighter.

Last edited:

Andinus

Smash Journeyman
NNID
kyonyuudaisuki
I don't think Meta Knight will be OP again, just good.
Maybe A Tier, but I feel that he'll get outranked by the likes of Rosalina, Mac, and/or Greninja.

We don't know exactly how good they are yet, but from the looks of it there are many potential strategies and combos that I am very eager to try out.
I really don't think rosalina is going to be high tier or have much of an impact on the competitive scene, the fact that one of her moves is an item magnet, leads one to conclude in a one on one, no item match she is already put at a disadvantage since one of her moves is pretty much useless.

Louie G.

Smash Hero
I really don't think rosalina is going to be high tier or have much of an impact on the competitive scene, the fact that one of her moves is an item magnet, leads one to conclude in a one on one, no item match she is already put at a disadvantage since one of her moves is pretty much useless.
I'm pretty sure a lot of characters have moves that are barely used in the competitive scene.
Falcon Punch, for example. And Falcon was up there in Melee, I believe.

Rosalina is a great spacer and I forsee many great Smash players unleashing her true potential.
Like myself. :p

Rockaphin

Smash Champion
NNID
Rockaphin
3DS FC
2595-0113-8473
Paper Mario - would be the first alternate version of a playable character to be an assist. Somehow that seems wrong to me. He'd be better off playable, or as the most complicated alt costume ever, complete with different moves, but that will never happen.
I agree, I can't see him as an assist trophy. In my eyes, he's either playable or just a trophy. Which he'll probably end up a trophy again. However, I do support the thought of him being an alt costume that changes everything about Mario.

The Space Animal's reflectors are kind of situational as well. They could be almost completely useless but that didn't stop Falco rampaging the tiers, once again.

Last edited:

Louie G.

Smash Hero
Oh, @ Andinus Andinus , I forgot to mention that Rosa's Gravitational Pull also renders enemy projectiles useless.
So Fox, Mega Man, and the like will have trouble against Rosalina.

FlareHabanero

Banned via Warnings
Rosalina is basically going to be Zato-1.

She will punish you from afar, she will punish you if you try to defend, and God have mercy on any fool that gets wedged against a wall.

The only restriction is how well you can maintain two characters essentially.

Last edited:

Invisible Shiny Bulbasaur

Smash Journeyman
NNID
BigUglyMan-Doll
I'm pretty sure Gravitational Pull is an item/projectile magnet AND deflector, so it should have defensive capabilities.

Edit: Beaten to the punch.

Last edited:

Andinus

Smash Journeyman
NNID
kyonyuudaisuki
I'm pretty sure Gravitational Pull is an item/projectile magnet AND deflector, so it should have defensive capabilities.

Edit: Beaten to the punch.
I suppose if that is true, it would not be so bad. But really we just have to wait and see who is gonna be good and who will suck. And hey maybe with all the balancing sakurai is working on there won't even be any tiers :troll:

Last edited:

Pega-pony Princess

Smash Lord
NNID
auraoftwilight
3DS FC
2938-6383-8579
I don't think I'll ever really understand why some people think Tharja is so popular that she deserves to be an assist trophy. Just a personal opinion.

Spinosaurus

Treasure Hunter
NNID
WarioLand
I have a feeling Rosalina is going to end up being the next Ice Climbers or something :/
Rosalina and Luma seem to act with the same button input at the same time. In the Ice Climbers' case, Nana's input is buffered. They're completely different from that alone.

Last edited:

FlareHabanero

Banned via Warnings
I have a feeling Rosalina is going to end up being the next Ice Climbers or something :/
Those type of characters tend to be high tier due to the mechanics allowing for some really lethal mixups, punishes, spacing, and approaching. But conversely, players using those kinds of characters tend to be sparse due to high learning curve. This is why you don't see a lot of players that use Zato-1 or Carl Clover, for example.

aldelaro5

Paper Mario P
Canada, Quebec (or Rogeuport if you want)
NNID
aldelaro5
3DS FC
3050-7721-6617
I agree, I can't see him as an assist trophy. In my eyes, he's either playable or just a trophy. Which he'll probably end up a trophy again. However, I do support the thought of him being an alt costume that changes everything about Mario.
Euh... an alt wouldn't make any sense imo. You would have to change the whole artstyle which in itself would be so weird for just an alt. Also, if he's an alt, then i would wonder why in the first place while he could have been playable. Also, if he;s playable, he'll probably have a trophy so I guess he will be a trophy but I just hope for playable and trophy.

MargnetMan23

Smash Lord
Rosalina and Luma seem to act with the same button input at the same time. In the Ice Climbers' case, Nana's input is buffered. They're completely different from that alone.
I mean, I know they have different mechanics, but I feel like the character will be good in a similar way to them... Sort of like what Xenoblaze said.

OblivionWolf

Smash Ace
3DS FC
0877-1107-8984
I main the entire F-Tier. So yeah, I wouldn't mind some buffs.
I remember being very dominate amongst my friends in Melee with Captain Falcon. I rarely missed a knee. lol

.....Then Brawl came...Brawl Captain Falcon and Melee Captain Falcon were not the same man. I just would get destroyed.....Buff the good Captain back to his glory days...

NintenRob

Rising YouTuber
Writing Team
NNID
trpdm.wilton
The only characters I need I need before I 100% satisfied with the roster are Mr Game & Watch and R.O.B. and thankfully, both are almost guaranteed to return. Everything is just extra icing on the cake made by of Kirby, Rosalina, A gen 6 pokemon (The gen 6 one I most wanted), Mr Game & Watch and R.O.B., all baked in the oven of my 3DS and and cooled down in my Wii U fridge.

It will be delicious.

Niala

Smash Ace
That's actually my biggest beef with Brawl Falco lol. I loved his shine in Melee, such a good move for set ups. His shine is in Brawl is just a poking tool.
I mean, Falco is more or less just a poking tool in Brawl in his entirety. He just wants to ***** out of fights or chain grab you for the most part, and then DACUS or Bair you for a kill at some point.

I realize I'm probably the minority, but I prefer Falco in Brawl to Falco in Melee. And I mained him both games. But I also didn't like Melee, I've always felt the controls are insanely choppy, so that probably is a huge factor as to why.

As long as:
:falco::popo::marth::metaknight::snake:
Get nerfs then I'm ok. Although I'd rather see some characters buffed before that.
I really really really want to use:
:mario2::sonic::pt::bowser2::ike::ganondorf::dk2::samus2:
but alas they aren't the best. No where near it either. It's always my favorites!
I don't think low tiers necessarily mean you can't be successful. Granted, I don't play versus many competitive players, so I could be wrong, but aside from Falco, I play Snake, Lucas, Zelda, PT, Marth, Ganondorf, and Jigglypuff, which is a pretty wide selection among tiers. I lose about as few games with Lucas as I do with Falco, and win more games with somebody like Jigglypuff than I do with Marth. I understand that at the highest level of competitive play, you're certainly limited by your character, or, more specifically, by a characters poor match-up with MK, but casually, or even competitively at a low level, you can still play your favourite characters and win games, and have fun doing so.

As long as Luma can't grab, I'm fine with whatever she's capable of.

FalKoopa

Rainbow Waifu
BRoomer
3DS FC
1650-3685-3998
Switch FC
SW-5545-7990-4793
I know there were a few people worried about the RosalinaX leak, but the good news is that it's almost certainly false. Now that I've posted it, hopefully we can move on from here.
That was a great read. Yeah, RosalinaX's replies just seem off. Doesn't help his credibility.

Glad that it can be put to rest.

FlareHabanero

Banned via Warnings
I know there were a few people worried about the RosalinaX leak, but the good news is that it's almost certainly false. Now that I've posted it, hopefully we can move on from here.
You're like the only human being persistent with beating RosalinaX to death instead of letting it die like any other bullcrap rumor people make up.

Last edited:

The Nerd

Smash Journeyman
You know what i've always wondered? Why did Sakurai pick Elec-man out if all the robot masters for assist trophy status? I mean, he looks great for where he is, but I wonder why he picked him specifically.
I remember reading somewhere that he was one of the first, if not the first, robot master designed. Also many of the other truly iconic robot masters are represented in Mega Man's moveset. (I still would have liked Air Man, but ah well)

Cobalsh

Smash Champion
3DS FC
2578-3430-9913
I remember reading somewhere that he was one of the first, if not the first, robot master designed. Also many of the other truly iconic robot masters are represented in Mega Man's moveset. (I still would have liked Air Man, but ah well)
Please, Guts Man is the best.

False Sense

Ad Astra Per Aspera
NNID
FalseSense
3DS FC
3368-2599-3209
So, if I understand correctly, one of the reasons the leak is more than likely fake is because it is inherently difficult to disprove, meaning it was probably designed that way so it wouldn't have anything against it?

Zwzchow

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Zwzchow8
3DS FC
1805-3193-2658
She still can block projectiles and the like with it

Yomi's Biggest Fan

See You Next Year, Baby
NNID
Takamaru64
3DS FC
1375-7346-9605
Switch FC
SW-8277-6509-2593
With the new Hyrule Warriors news, I expect Diddy Kong to brag about Impa being the likely choice as the 5th Zelda rep.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom