• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Character Discussion Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

False Sense

Ad Astra Per Aspera
NNID
FalseSense
3DS FC
3368-2599-3209
Me too. Fingers crossed for Marshall. (Sorry, Louie G., I just can't see it happening)

Pacman I'd be fine with, I just don't expect.

Chrom's reveal is probably the only character I'm actively expectant of that will result in me rolling my eyes when he's revealed.

Miis...let's just not discuss them.
Marshall being a trophy would be kind of nice; it'd kill the leak without robbing too many people of a character they really liked. Although I think that him getting a trophy from Rhythm Heaven is unlikely unless Rhythm Heaven gets a playable character.

I'd love to see Chrom be shown off as a trophy, honestly. He's one of the reasons I dislike the leak to begin with, so seeing him out of the picture completely would be really nice.

I actually think Shulk is a moderately likely candidate to be revealed as a trophy if he's not playable, but that wouldn't be a character I'd really like to see get de-confirmed.

Floor

Floor | Defiant of Destiny
NNID
SerPete
3DS FC
1736-3913-7675
Marshall being a trophy would be kind of nice; it'd kill the leak without robbing too many people of a character they really liked. Although I think that him getting a trophy from Rhythm Heaven is unlikely unless Rhythm Heaven gets a playable character.

I'd love to see Chrom be shown off as a trophy, honestly. He's one of the reasons I dislike the leak to begin with, so seeing him out of the picture completely would be really nice.

I actually think Shulk is a moderately likely candidate to be revealed as a trophy if he's not playable, but that wouldn't be a character I'd really like to see get de-confirmed.
Apparently not many people here like Chrom. Any reasons you'd like him out of the picture?

Swamp Sensei

Today is always the most enjoyable day!
BRoomer
NNID
Swampasaur
3DS FC
4141-2776-0914
Switch FC
SW-6476-1588-8392
I'm just wondering, what does everyone have against Miis? I'm all for their inclusion. I see no wrong.
Apparently, they're not "real characters."

I find that to be a crappy argument though.

False Sense

Ad Astra Per Aspera
NNID
FalseSense
3DS FC
3368-2599-3209
Apparently not many people here like Chrom. Any reasons you'd like him out of the picture?
I find him to be a poor representation of the Fire Emblem franchise, and a character who more than likely won't bring much new to the table. Basically, I find him boring. My personal choice for a new Fire Emblem character would be Robin, who could show off much more of what the Fire Emblem series is actually like and be completely unique from the rest of the characters on the roster. So, seeing Chrom de-confirmed would open the way for Robin to be a playable character.

Meandpikachu

Smash Journeyman
My roster has some wishful thinking, but I'd be surprised to see anything outside of my overall prediction.
Roster Size 54 (44-49 most likely)
(All Newcomer/ question symbols are deductible. -16)
(54 in my prediction, +/- 3 for wild cards) (-3 included in -16)
(38-57 roster size extremes) (44-49 a more focused range)

Roster Predictions
View attachment 11969
(My ideas for the Newcomers/ Question Marks on my roster.)
1.Paper Mario
2.King K. Rool
3.Palutena
4.Sceptile
5.Mewtwo
6.Vaati
7.Ridley
8.Black Shadow
9.Krystal
10.Ike
11.Chrom
12.Isaac
13.Dillon
14.Shulk
15.Dig Dug
16.???
Cut 15, 16, 13, 12, and 8 to achieve 49.

Thought Process

1. Either a 6th Mario rep, 2nd Yoshi or Wario rep, or different spinoff rep. Best guess, Bowser Jr or Paper Mario.
2. 3rd DK rep. Either King K. Rool or Dixie.
3. 2nd Kid Icarus rep. Most likely Palutena.
4. Fully evolved grass starter (replacement for Ivysaur). Sceptile makes the most sense, especially if we get Ruby/Sapphire remakes.
5. 6th PKMN rep being a veteran. Jiggs or Mewtwo. Likey, Jiggs. Could get both and no grass starter. That'd kill my OCD.
6. If Mario and PKMN get 6 reps, Zelda should too. Vaati deserves the spot most. Ghirahim and Demise can suck it. Tingle should never be playable.
7. 3rd Metroid rep. Ridley is all but confirmed a boss. Holding on to hope. Otherwise, Sylux or Anthony.
8. F-Zero or Earthbound will have two reps. I doubt both. Lucas could return, or F-Zero could get Black Shadow. Could play like Ganondorf does now if Ganondorf gets a much needed make over.
9. Starfox I'm up in the air. Wolf most likely of the three to get cut. Krystal a likely candidate. Doubt we'll see 4 reps.
10 and 11. Fire Emblem, I'm unsure if Ike will return, but I think they could get 3 reps. Chrom, Ike, Roy returning, or many others could get these spots. Though I don't see them bringing Roy and Ike back and not having a newcomer.
12. I think another assist trophy will be promoted. Saki and Isaac made the most sense. Saki was shown as an assist again.
13 and 14. Wild Cards. These account for any character I didn't really mention (Miis and Chorus Men, mentioning those). Though I'm giving them to E- Shop and Project Rainfall characters. Dillon and Shulk.
15. Namco rep. Popularity says Pacman or Lloyd Irving. I say Dig Dug.
16. Third Party Wild Card. Likely Konami. Snake could return, could get Simon. Travis Touchdown or Bayonetta aren't totally out of the question. Wonder Red also makes sense. Banjo Kazooie is my dead-dream character... Or Sega could get a 2nd rep. Popularity says Shadow, which overlaps with my promoted assist trophy prediction, however I'd prefer Billy Hatcher.

The Expendables (Possible Cuts)
Squirtle, Ivysaur, Snake, Lucas, Wolf, Ike, Ice Climbers, ROB, G&W, Wario, Meta Knight, and Jiggs

seem to be the most cuttable. (In that order)

-The two PKMN seem to be gone being that transforming is scrapped and Charizard is in.
-Snake is an odd misfit of a third party.
-Lucas is too much of a clone.
-Wolf, see Lucas.
-Ike's unique moveset would be a shame to scrap. Though they may follow suit after the Roy cut.
-Ice Climbers were technically difficult at first, though their polar bear has been shown. Plus seniority.
-ROB is thought to be a WTF character, though he has a unique moveset and represents hardware. (As do G&W and Wii Fit Trainer)
-G&W see ROB, plus seniority.
-Wario feels like another Mario rep though given his own series. Probably not leaving.
-Meta Knight, could be cut if they absolutely need to, last resort, but I don't foresee that happening.
-Jiggs is part of the untouchable, original, ever-so-holy 12, but if they do cut one of them, cut Jigglypuff.

5/15/2014

My updated roster. 50 characters. Expecting at least 45.
Oh Yes!!!! I love that roster ever!

D_TheHermit

Smash Rookie
Fighting a mii would be more fun than exciting. Attacks based on wii sports would be funny though.

G0LD3N L0TUS

Smash Lord
NNID
G0LD3N_L0TUS
3DS FC
3007-8158-6601
I'm just wondering, what does everyone have against Miis? I'm all for their inclusion. I see no wrong.
MINE! MINE! MINE! MINE! :demon:

To me, I don't see anything that the Miis could bring to the game anymore. Yeah, they're iconic to Nintendo, but that's all they really have going for the now. The Miis would have brought two things to the game, but now both are gone. Firstly, there's the Wii series rep, taken by the Wii-Fit Trainer. Lastly, there's the fun and random moveset with unlikely weapons, but Villager definately took that to the next level by taking most of what the Mii could've used (Boxing Gloves, Bowling Ball, etc.) and adding to it with stuff exclusive to it. So now, I just see that Miis as bland avatars that wouldn't bring anything new to the game, which imo, would be a wasted slot that could've been used for a more interesting character.

Last edited:

Floor

Floor | Defiant of Destiny
NNID
SerPete
3DS FC
1736-3913-7675
@ False Sense False Sense
Yeah I see your point. Chrom wouldn't bring anything new here, but he's certainly more probable. That's for a different discussion though. The problem I have with Robin is that some players will make him tanky, other will make him "rouge-y" i guess you could say, by improving skill or luck with lowering defense. His play style in Smash would have to be "average" to really accomadate the alternative play styles in FE. However, a sword and magic user would be a nice addition to the Game.

Last edited:

Louie G.

Smash Hero
Fighting a mii would be more fun than exciting. Attacks based on wii sports would be funny though.
Welcome to Smashboards! Your avatar makes me smile and I feel like you're smarter than most of the new guys that come in here; just a gut feeling.

As for Miis I don't hate them as I have accepted them as an inevitability.

Kenith

Overkill Sarcasm
The Fabulous Friendly Super Sparkle Train
NNID
RipoffmanXKTG
3DS FC
4210-4224-9442
One thing I've noticed is that the only Nintendo game I can think of that featured playable Miis (that wasn't centered around them entirely) was New Super Mario Bros. U.

In that game, your only actions were to run, jump, slide, dash, and a few basic platforming moves. Moves shared by every other character. In fact, Peach was omitted from the game due to the fact that she would require special programming.

In Super Mario 3D World, however, every playable character has their own set of abilities, and Miis are not playable.

Which leads me to believe that they are only included as an option if it is easy.

So, logically, Miis would not be a priority in a game like Smash Bros, where every character is completely diverse from another and has a complex set of moves that they work incredibly hard on to fine-tune and test.

I basically feel as though Miis are not worth creating such a moveset for, when there are other, more requested and popular choices whose chances could be hurt by their inclusion.

I do believe the Miiverse integration speaks against their chances; after all, the main merit of including them as playable is the personalization factor; I think that including Miiverse integration basically has the same result without the effort of creating the actual character.

Last edited:

Louie G.

Smash Hero
That's not exactly necessary, you know.
Thinking otherwise is essentially setting yourself up for disappointment.

Miis are everywhere, and although I may have thought this at first, icons don't really matter, since Miis don't need to be represented by a certain series. Miis have multiple series that they are featured in, and shouldn't be tied down by one. This is why Find Mii and Pilotwings have separate icons. Miis will have a Mii icon, and no stages or trophies or anything like that. Their series will be represented separately but Miis will be represented by themselves.

At least that's how I see it.

False Sense

Ad Astra Per Aspera
NNID
FalseSense
3DS FC
3368-2599-3209
One thing I've noticed is that the only Nintendo game I can think of that featured playable Miis (that wasn't centered around them entirely) was New Super Mario Bros. U.

In that game, your only actions were to run, jump, slide, dash, and a few basic platforming moves. Moves shared by every other character. In fact, Peach was omitted from the game due to the fact that she would require special programming.

In Super Mario 3D World, however, every playable character has their own set of abilities, and Miis are not playable.

Which leads me to believe that they are only included as an option if it is easy.

So, logically, Miis would not be a priority in a game like Smash Bros, where every character is completely diverse from another and has a complex set of moves that they work incredibly hard on to fine-tune and test.

I basically feel as though Miis are not worth creating such a moveset for, when there are other, more requested and popular choices whose chances could be hurt by their inclusion.

I do believe the Miiverse integration speaks against their chances; after all, the main merit of including them as playable is the personalization factor; I think that including Miiverse integration basically has the same result without the character.
What about Mario Kart?

Though considering that every driver is essentially the same bar their weight class, that does tie in with your "simplicity" theory.

shrooby

Let me know when I'm supposed to laugh, okay?
BRoomer
NNID
shrooby
3DS FC
2320-6364-8294
Miis are too much like Villager? Well, hey, what if one of Villager's alts was your Mii? :awesome:

That is actually canon, now that I think about it.

Last edited:

Bowserlick

Smash Hero
I think the Mii have things to offer. Unfortunately, the Villager took up a chunk of that design space.

The Villager:
1. Has different looks (face, clothes); perhaps customizable to a point
2. Similar style to the Mii (at least the first version of the villager); bulbous head with flat facial features that look drawn on and a primary colored shirt
3. Has a bowling ball (to me the bowling ball would be the iconic move of the Mii)
4. Moves derived from pulling items from his games out for attacks (I picture the Mii fighting this way)

One way of Mii having its own flavor could be taking the role of the ultimate random character. Every A move and B move is randomly selected from other roster characters before battle.

Last edited:

False Sense

Ad Astra Per Aspera
NNID
FalseSense
3DS FC
3368-2599-3209
Thinking otherwise is essentially setting yourself up for disappointment.
The joke is on you, because I'm actually a Mii supporter. I can't be disappointed by their inclusion.

Miis are everywhere, and although I may have thought this at first, icons don't really matter, since Miis don't need to be represented by a certain series. Miis have multiple series that they are featured in, and shouldn't be tied down by one. This is why Find Mii and Pilotwings have separate icons. Miis will have a Mii icon, and no stages or trophies or anything like that. Their series will be represented separately but Miis will be represented by themselves.

At least that's how I see it.
I would still argue that it really isn't necessary for the stages based on games centered around the Miis to have separate icons from them. I just don't think it adds up.

Although, I do have to ask a rather fundamental question; why are Miis so likely, anyway? I feel as if their likeliness and "inevitability" may have been blown a bit out of proportion as of late, so I'm curious as to why people think they are so inevitable.

Louie G.

Smash Hero
I find Miis very likely because they are included in many Nintendo games as of late, have become mascots for the company, and are the stars of the best selling game in the world.

Sal Leak is cool, but that isn't my reason for finding them so likely.

False Sense

Ad Astra Per Aspera
NNID
FalseSense
3DS FC
3368-2599-3209
I find Miis very likely because they are included in many Nintendo games as of late, have become mascots for the company, and are the stars of the best selling game in the world.

Sal Leak is cool, but that isn't my reason for finding them so likely.
I agree with what you're saying, although I was more so looking for actual evidence within Smash itself that points to their inclusion. Because if I recall correctly, Miis weren't really considered inevitable until recent pieces of evidence in the game showed up.

Jerry Applesauce

Smash Ace
Eh, Mii still have a lot going for them. Tennis rackets, golf clubs, boxing gloves, bowling balls, which are already taken by Peach and Villager, bubbles (from Wii Play; recovery, anyone?), swords from Wii Sports Resort and/or Find Mii, shield, frisbees, bow and arrows, basketballs, plus musical instruments and hangliders, as well as anything from the Wii Party series, and their color-dependent magic powers in Find Mii. Yeah, that's a lot going for them.

Last edited:

False Sense

Ad Astra Per Aspera
NNID
FalseSense
3DS FC
3368-2599-3209
Seems like you're alot like me then, every time I look at the new PotD, I expect to see Vaati deconfirmed.

With Mii's, they are far away from being inevitable right now.
If it's anything like in Brawl, Vaati will never get officially de-confirmed.

ultimatekoopa

Smash Ace
People, it is painfully obvious that the ganondorf we know from melee and brawl will get the axe...new and improved ganondorf will take his place

Jerry Applesauce

Smash Ace
Eh, Mii still have a lot going for them. Tennis rackets, golf clubs, boxing gloves, bowling balls, which are already taken by Peach and Villager, bubbles (from Wii Play; recovery, anyone?), swords from Wii Sports Resort and/or Find Mii, shield, frisbees, bow and arrows, basketballs, plus musical instruments and hangliders, as well as anything from the Wii Party series, and their color-dependent magic powers in Find Mii. Yeah, that's a lot going for them.
I feel like a brought up a good point that people can't deny. Or they just skimmed over it or are blinded by hatred of the Mii. Or just think it isn't a good point. Haha.

Last edited:

BKupa666

Barnacled Boss
Personally, they're essentially a "troll mode" being thrown into a fanbase full of trolls. They're also a non-character whose moveset is utterly redundant in a game with both Game & Watch and Villager being prop-swinging lightweights.

In before "They represent Nintendo's history!!!" Represent them as a Mii Plaza stage, a Multi-Man mook, a Mii Parade Assist Trophy, but not a waste of a roster spot, please.

Last edited:

Phaazoid

Basket
NNID
Mr.Grike
3DS FC
4854-6444-0859
I dislike mii's because they aren't really a character, imo. They don't represent anything other than Nintendo itself. We already have a Wii rep, and a customizable humanoid. Why do we need a character that would just be both of these things combined?

Jerry Applesauce

Smash Ace
"Prop-swinging lightweights." "Customizable humanoid." Yeah, good points, I can see where you all are coming from. But you can't deny that they can in fact differentiate themselves from the Villager/G&W/WFT. None of them use magic, none of them wield a sword, none of them have a shield, none of them use musical instruments, etc etc.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom