• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Character Discussion Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

Morbi

Scavenger
Ike and Marth do have antithetical playstyles, which is why few people have a problem with them being in, other than maybe that one Lyn fan who threatened suicide pre-Brawl when her Assist Trophy got shown.

People are most likely turned off by the playstyle Chrom is likely to have. He won't be an Ike clone, no, he'll be "a middle ground between Marth and Ike," and personally, that's complete bulls***, especially if Ike somehow gets cut for Chrom. Sakurai would have outright lied about "looking for unique characters" in that case, though judging by WFT, he already did, to be fair.

Then, looking ahead to SSB6, Chrom's inclusion would set a crappy precedent; Intelligent System's lovingly crafts a "brilliant new" Chrom ripoff as a lord, who then gets insta-added into Smash because heaven forbid Sakurai not do that. What'll he be, "a middle ground between Marth and Chrom?" A "middle ground between Chrom and Ike?" And all anyone will be able to think about is either how plump his buttocks are or how "OMG UNIQUE, SAKURAI ADDS WHO YOU DON'T KNOW YOU WANT" ad nauseam.
I suppose you are right, but it is really dependent on how the move-set is applied, the utility of it. I was alluding to "middle ground" in reference to their potential speed, power, knock-back, and hit-box. I feel as though his actual move-set would have different utility. Chrom is the poster-child of the most prominent Fire Emblem character, I don't necessarily believe that this will create a precedent for future titles (as I don't believe Ike will be replaced). Fire Emblem would probably be interpreted as "finished" after Chrom is in the game.

Pacack

Super Pac-Fan
NNID
Pacack
3DS FC
0688-5284-6845
Just for the record, despite him emphasizing uniqueness, I never believed that every newcomer character added to Smash 4 would fill this uniqueness quota, which is why I see Toon Zelda as a plausible candidate. Regardless of personal opinion, Chrom being in could prove that less than inherently unique characters are indeed on the table-and yes, this does include semi-clones.
I don't see Toon Zelda happening without transformations in this game. I just don't.

Morbi

Scavenger
I don't see Toon Zelda happening without transformations in this game. I just don't.
To be fair, Toon Zelda was CLEARLY the focus of the character according to precedent. Instead of Tetra, we were going to get Toon Sheik. So if he REALLY wanted a Zelda clone, I feel as though she is feasible.

Zhadgon

Smash Lord
NNID
Zhadgon
Just for the record, despite him emphasizing uniqueness, I never believed that every newcomer character added to Smash 4 would fill this uniqueness quota, which is why I see Toon Zelda as a plausible candidate. Regardless of personal opinion, Chrom being in could prove that less than inherently unique characters are indeed on the table-and yes, this does include semi-clones.
So you see three characters representing the same persona getting into smash, do you imagine the backlash that the community in general will make especially after Toon Link and his position add the same situation again and it would be like pounder salt to a still open wound, I could see Ghirahim, Tingle, Vaati or even Classic Ganon with more opportunity and with less rage from the fans.

.n_n.

Morbi

Scavenger
Black Shadow is the best addition in any roster now that Goroh is gone rip in pieces ;_;

Funny that, I think Mac's moveset could have been better. In fact I'm kinda disappointed by it since I don't feel like it represents boxing well. :p
I didn't ever really want Samurai Goroh; I felt like he had more Smash relevance (Melee Opening, Assist Trophy), but it clearly wasn't enough. Black Shadow is a character that I am actually a fan of. Back then, I only supported Goroh because I felt as though F-Zero needed another character, it is one the most prominent franchises to Smash.

Hey, at least Mac doesn't kick. Before he was revealed, people would assert that he would just punch AND kick. It disgusted me.

How dare you.
I apologize. I mean, I was just picking someone that was near an equal level of Jiggs.

Precisely; uniqueness is subjective. We don't necessarily know what Sakurai finds unique.

Maxilian

Smash Ace
View attachment 13817
Like, comment, rate and subscribe.
Oks... let me start :drifloon: (Note: i'm looking at it as a prediction not a dream roster, that's why i'm telling you why these or that couldn't happen, and remenber i may be wrong)

1- Dk getting 2 characters and Starfox getting 1 more character and Zelda got none? ermmm no:drwtf:

2- Lip is basically deconfirmed with the confirmation of her wand as an item :drshrug:

3- As much as i like Grovyle over Sceptile, no that won't happen and even more cause you took out Jigg... we all know Jigg is not leaving :drfacepalm:

4- Waddle Dee have been confirmed as a random mob, "Oh no but that's Bandana Dee!", NO, STOP! :drflip:

5- I'm pretty sure we are going to get Chrom and not Robin :dr^_^: (These one is totally an opinion)

Morbi

Scavenger
So you see three characters representing the same persona getting into smash, do you imagine the backlash that the community in general will make especially after Toon Link and his position add the same situation again and it would be like pounder salt to a still open wound, I could see Ghirahim, Tingle, Vaati or even Classic Ganon with more opportunity and with less rage from the fans.

.n_n.
According to precedence, Smash WAS going to receive FOUR characters representing the same persona, from a series that already had 2 clones mind you, from a series where one of the most prominent characters was a clone of another franchise mind you, one of Nintendo's biggest series mind you. I don't think Sakurai gives a **** about the backlash to be perfectly honest.

Maxilian

Smash Ace
According to precedence, Smash WAS going to receive FOUR characters representing the same persona mind you, from a series that already had 2 clones mind you, from a series where one of the most prominent characters was a clone of another franchise mind you, one of Nintendo's biggest series mind you. I don't think Sakurai gives a **** about the backlash to be perfectly honest mind you.
Fixed it for you :drohyou:

Sorry i couldn't stop myself :drsad:

Maxilian

Smash Ace
To be fair, Toon Zelda was CLEARLY the focus of the character according to precedent. Instead of Tetra, we were going to get Toon Sheik. So if he REALLY wanted a Zelda clone, I feel as though she is feasible.
We were going to get Toon Sheik?:drohmy: as far as i know, we were going to get Toon Zelda and Tetra (just like Zelda but instead of transforming into Sheik, you transform in Tetra)

.n_n.
I agree that the idea of another Zelda character that's not another persona of a character that we already have 2 time is a better idea :drifloon:, but Morbid have a point, that was going to be added:drshrug:, even if we think that's not a good idea :drsad:

Last edited:

thesandman

Smash Cadet
With the recent release of the dragoon officially coming back, do you think this reveals a possible metaknight reveal soon?

Louie G.

Smash Hero
I think that Meta Knight, Ice Climbers, and Falco are pretty necessary for the invitational.
I'd love to see a character revealed at the invitational, actually. Probably Mewtwo or something, because Melee nostalgia, but Mewtwo at the end of the E3 Direct would be the best scenario in my opinion.

Zhadgon

Smash Lord
NNID
Zhadgon
According to precedence, Smash WAS going to receive FOUR characters representing the same persona, from a series that already had 2 clones mind you, from a series where one of the most prominent characters was a clone of another franchise mind you, one of Nintendo's biggest series mind you. I don't think Sakurai gives a **** about the backlash to be perfectly honest.
And still those characters didn´t make it in the final roster for Brawl so your argument is complete bull crap, do you think they still have opportunities after Sakurai has split the transformation characters and give Zelda a move from the Toon Zelda series, is called common sense and finally I want to see Sakurai make the decision but you can´t argue that Toon Zelda is one of the contenders to get a spot when from her own series she needs to compete against Vaati, Ghirahim, Classic Ganon and Tingle, without counting other series like Kid Icarus, Metroid, Donkey Kong, F-Zero, StarFox, Fire Emblem, etc.

LOLoops guys.
Here is the new roster.
View attachment 13822
Once again, is your prediction roster? Dream roster? Or a mix of both?

.n_n.

Last edited:

Morbi

Scavenger
And still those characters didn´t make it in the final roster for Brawl so your argument is complete bull crap, do you think they still have opportunities after Sakurai has split the transformation characters and give Zelda a move from the Toon Zelda series, is called common sense and finally I want to see Sakurai make the decision but you can´t argue that Toon Zelda is one of the contenders to get a spot when from her own series she needs to compete against Vaati, Ghirahim, Classic Ganon and Tingle, without counting other series like Kid Icarus, Metroid, Donkey Kong, F-Zero, StarFox, Fire Emblem, etc.

.n_n.
The argument that Sakurai; objectively speaking, completely and utterly definitively intended for Legend of Zelda to have FOUR characters of the same person is "bull crap"? Did you just imply that I do not have common-sense because I used a fact based perspective dictated by precedence of the actual game? You cling to a faith-based perspective that presumes to understand Sakurai's decision making process better than his decision making process as indicated by the code of the game? It isn't common sense, your assumption is your assumption. You have literally nothing to support your perspective either, it is a baseless proclamation at the very best. I can argue that Toon Zelda is one of the contenders. The only new Legend of Zelda character that didn't exist during Brawl is Ghirahim (which I do find to be the most feasible Legend of Zelda candidate). You can assert your confirmation bias all you want, you can call me irrational all you want, it is immaterial. If you can't accept the notion that it was going to happen, that is on you. I am not obligated to convince you otherwise. I cannot even fathom how I would convince you because you blatantly disregard the facts. I suppose that isn't my problem though.

*The Sensus Crustulum*

Smash Journeyman

Once again, is your prediction roster? Dream roster? Or a mix of both?

.n_n.
Prediction Roster.
Other than the fact Jiggz is out, that's just pure bias.

Zhadgon

Smash Lord
NNID
Zhadgon
The argument that Sakurai; objectively speaking, completely and utterly definitively intended for Legend of Zelda to have FOUR characters of the same person is "bull crap"? Did you just imply that I do not have common-sense because I used a fact based perspective dictated by precedence of the actual game? You cling to a faith-based perspective that presumes to understand Sakurai's decision making process better than his decision making process as indicated by the code of the game? It isn't common sense, your assumption is your assumption. You have literally nothing to support your perspective either, it is a baseless proclamation at the very best. I can argue that Toon Zelda is one of the contenders. The only new Legend of Zelda character that didn't exist during Brawl is Ghirahim (which I do find to be the most feasible Legend of Zelda candidate). You can assert your confirmation bias all you want, you can call me irrational all you want, it is immaterial. If you can't accept the notion that it was going to happen, that is on you. I am not obligated to convince you otherwise. I cannot even fathom how I would convince you because you blatantly disregard the facts. I suppose that isn't my problem though.
Yes I know that she was conceived in the past to take four playable slots but one thing is the past and other one completely different is the present after 6 years when there are more circumstances going on, like new games from Zelda Skyward Sword, Between Worlds, Remake of Ocarina of Time, Wind Waker, etc., new series like, Wonderful 101, Dillon´s Rolling Western, Pushmo, etc., and the grow of older franchises like Fire Emblem, Donkey Kong, Pokemon, Mario, Wii Series (Nintendo Land, Wii Fit, Wii Sports, etc.), and many more all this factors change the decisions of Sakurai with time and with each new installment from Smash, if not we would have received Excite Biker in Brawl, and we would get this time Toon Zelda, Dixie Kong, Mewtwo, Roy, Plusle/Minum and Dr. Mario as confirmation based on your answer.

Edited;
Made a mistake with Plusle and Minum

.n_n.

Last edited:

Maxilian

Smash Ace
With the recent release of the dragoon officially coming back, do you think this reveals a possible metaknight reveal soon?
I don't really care when will be Metaknight, Ice Climbers and Captain Falcon be announced, why? cause we all know they are comming back!:drflip:, i want to see Falco, Wolf, Lucas, Ike well... all those that have the chance of being kicked out :drohyou:

Morbi

Scavenger
Yes I know that she was conceived in the past to take four playable slots but one thing is the past and other one completely different is the present after 6 years when there are more circumstances going on, like new games from Zelda Skyward Sword, Between Worlds, Remake of Ocarina of Time, Wind Waker, etc., new series like, Wonderful 101, Dillon´s Rolling Western, Pushmo, etc., and the grow of older franchises like Fire Emblem, Donkey Kong, Pokemon, Mario, Wii Series (Nintendo Land, Wii Fit, Wii Sports, etc.), and many more all this factors change the decisions of Sakurai with time and with each new installment from Smash, if not we would have received Excite Biker, Plusle and Minum in Brawl, and we would get this time Toon Zelda, Dixie Kong, Mewtwo, Roy and Dr. Mario as confirmation based on your answer.

.n_n.
Of course, the priority list isn't stagnant, I understand that; in fact, I am one of the only people on Smashboards to consistently remind people of that. However, the notion isn't relevant to the discussion at hand. I am not insinuating that Toon Zelda is the most likely candidate, I was asserting that we were going to get FOUR representatives of the same person. This indicates that Sakurai doesn't believe in "over-representation" in any way shape or form. If he was willing to have FOUR characters of the same persona 6 years ago, she is certainly a feasible candidate based on precedent. I never implied that I find this likely, I am stating that it is plausible.

Morbi

Scavenger
Again why Wadlee Dee (Bandana Dee?)?:drohmy:

There are other good choices like Taranza:drohyou:

Or Queen Sectonia? (Well IMO Taranza makes more sense):drshrug:

Note: I don't dislike the idea of Bandana Dee (even more when you see that he appear in most of Kirby games)
Bandanna Dee is the most prominent Kirby character not already in the game, his prevalence is staggering. His spear would probably allow for a unique move-set as well. If Kirby were to get another character, Bandanna Dee is the overt choice.

Zhadgon

Smash Lord
NNID
Zhadgon
Of course, the priority list isn't stagnant, I understand that; in fact, I am one of the only people on Smashboards to consistently remind people of that. However, the notion isn't relevant to the discussion at hand. I am not insinuating that Toon Zelda is the most likely candidate, I was asserting that we were going to get FOUR representatives of the same person. This indicates that Sakurai doesn't believe in "over-representation" in any way shape or form. If he was willing to have FOUR characters of the same persona 6 years ago, she is certainly a feasible candidate based on precedent. I never implied that I find this likely, I am stating that it is plausible.
She is plausible but now in this time the character has a much a chance as Plusle and Minun making it into the roster, it has decreased a lot to the point that I don´t know why people still think she has a chance, it would be like 3/100.

Prediction Roster.
Other than the fact Jiggz is out, that's just pure bias.
56 playable characters are a lot reduce your roster to 50-48 after that I would rate it again and make proper comments.

.n_n.

Maxilian

Smash Ace
Are you SURE ICs are coming back? They could've been replaced by Rosaluma :^)
Yeah, we already have the teddy bears in game :drifloon:

Yeah yeah, i know that's a Polar bear but... i like teddy bears :drohyou:

Bandanna Dee is the most prominent Kirby character not already in the game, his prevalence is staggering. His spear would probably allow for a unique move-set as well. If Kirby were to get another character, Bandanna Dee is the overt choice.
Well... you're right, but in general i'm not expecting another Kirby character, IMO is really unlikely :drsad:

Last edited:

Morbi

Scavenger
She is plausible but now in this time the character has a much a chance as Plusle and Minun making it into the roster, it has decreased a lot to the point that I don´t know why people still think she has a chance, it would be like 3/100.

56 playable characters are a lot reduce your roster to 50-48 after that I would rate it again and make proper comments.

.n_n.
I don't disagree. I honestly feel as though she is the least likely feasible Legend of Zelda candidate, but that doesn't mean that your notion in regards to why she wasn't likely was plausible. Sakruai would be willing to add a 3rd character representing the same person. Clearly.

Last edited:

Zhadgon

Smash Lord
NNID
Zhadgon
I don't disagree. I honestly feel as though she is the least likely feasible Legend of Zelda candidate, but that doesn't mean that your notion in regards to why she wasn't likely was plausible. Sakruai would be willing to add a 3rd character representing the same person. Clearly.
But now in this time with all these changes and games would Sakurai will think the same?

.n_n.

Last edited:

Morbi

Scavenger
But now in this time with all this changes and games would Sakurai will think the same?

.n_n.
He would most likely retain his perspective that over-representation is immaterial. He will add the characters he deems worthy. I do feel as though he will not have a congruent perspective. Things change, just like you said.

*The Sensus Crustulum*

Smash Journeyman
Again why Wadlee Dee (Bandana Dee?)?:drohmy:

There are other good choices like Taranza:drohyou:

Or Queen Sectonia? (Well IMO Taranza makes more sense):drshrug:

Note: I don't dislike the idea of Bandana Dee (even more when you see that he appear in most of Kirby games)
Meh. I would prefer Magolor for a villain. Besides, Waddle Dee has been a reoccurring character in the Kirby Series and I think is more recognizable.

.n_n.
Empty Roster.png

Here is my roster if it was limited to 50 characters.

Last edited:

Miss Fit

Smash Rookie
I don't get the appeal of Pac-Man...I just don't. He barely even has his own identity :\

Maxilian

Smash Ace
It's nice to know some people are a little open minded when it comes to certain possibilities.....

Hmm... you kinda got Greninja missing there... Unless that was intended...
I think he wanted to take out Grovile and put Greninja but he forgot about that:drsad:

I still think Jigg should be there

I don't get the appeal of Pac-Man...I just don't. He barely even has his own identity :\
Well the problem is that Nancom is helping with SSB and we all know that they are going to add something and the best option is.... PAC-MAN!:drflip:

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom