• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Character Discussion Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

Will

apustaja
Switch FC
SW-7573-2962-2407
I have a strange feeling I should make a Shy - Guy or Kamek thread,but everybody knows that's already been created.

Morbi

Scavenger
I have a strange feeling I should make a Shy - Guy or Kamek thread,but everybody knows that's already been created.
I feel as though we have quite literally discussed every single character that Nintendo has to offer. I bet if I checked, I would find a Kaepora thread.

Spinosaurus

Treasure Hunter
NNID
WarioLand
I feel as though we have quite literally discussed every single character that Nintendo has to offer. I bet if I checked, I would find a Kaepora thread.
Nope

AFAIK, there's only an Elite Beat Agents thread, but nothing on the Ouendan.

Which is WRONG.

Forcerounds

Smash Journeyman
NICE JOB! But, I do recommend replacing:
Ridley With Sylux
Ganon With Vaati
Wow, you commented on my roster in this thread even though I never shared it outside of the display thread. Thanks!

I include Ridley not because I want him in, but because others want him in and because Sakurai is suspiciously avoiding a clear-cut disconfirmation. The Other M Ridley Clone will not become a playable character, but Ridley from Super Metroid still has a chance.

I'm not budging on Ganon. Overall, I do not have much faith that Zelda will get 6 reps this time, but Ganon is the best choice if it should come to that. The only other option that might be better is Classic Link, with a move set based on ALttP and ALBW. However, it just looks neater to have the main trio each have one alternate form. Link has Toon Link, Zelda has Sheik, and Ganondorf doesn't have one confirmed yet, but Ganon is his most important alter-ego.

My Roster:

Last edited:

Will

apustaja
Switch FC
SW-7573-2962-2407
Eh,I'll just make a thread about updating Peach for the next game after 4.

Morbi

Scavenger
Wow, you commented on my roster in this thread even though I never shared it outside of the display thread. Thanks!

I include Ridley not because I want him in, but because others want him in and because Sakurai is suspiciously avoiding a clear-cut disconfirmation. The Other M Ridley Clone will not become a playable character, but Ridley from Super Metroid still has a chance.

I'm not budging on Ganon. Overall, I do not have much faith that Zelda will get 6 reps this time, but Ganon is the best choice if it should come to that. The only other option that might be better is Classic Link, with a move set based on ALttP and ALBW. However, it just looks neater to have the main trio each have one alternate form. Link has Toon Link, Zelda has Sheik, and Ganondorf doesn't have one confirmed yet, but Ganon is his most important alter-ego.

My Roster:
Ganon would actually look really cool now that everyone has their own slot; you could visually see the alternate forms.The Chorus Men look so colorless compared to the rest of the roster, I never thought about that until I actually saw them. Haha.

Last edited:

Maxilian

Smash Ace

My Roster:
I think Ganon is a great option but... what about Ghirahim?!:drflip: maybe Ghirahim is not as important as Ganon, but he's till a better option (with more possibilities) than classic Link :drsad:

What's the matter? Scared to look? :troll:

I always go for the Japanese source,I believe the original idea/concept stays true with me.

Also,yes. Unless I have a canon source for his schlong,it's an it.
Not really but i take what you say as true :drifloon:, so i have no reason to check :drshrug:

Forcerounds

Smash Journeyman
I think Ganon is a great option but... what about Ghirahim?!:drflip: maybe Ghirahim is not as important as Ganon, but he's till a better option (with more possibilities) than classic Link :drsad:
Good point. Ghirahim is another good option. He'd be fun to play as. Maybe if another Zelda game acknowledged what happened to him after Skyward Sword, he'd be higher priority.

Spinosaurus

Treasure Hunter
NNID
WarioLand
It's a bit strange Ganon isn't quite as desired as K.Rool and Ridley, if not even more.

Yeah, Ganondorf, but still.

Croph

Hold Baroque Inside
NNID
IceCreamStar
3DS FC
3196-4596-5388
Preposterous! There must be some characters we haven't talked about before! I will try to find some...

Hmm...

Okay, okay how about these guys? Maybe as stickers at least?

I guess you could call them the mascots of the No. 1 Bass Fishing series, appearing on manuals/commercials and whatnot. So yeah, fishing games created by Shigesato Itoi (iirc for the Super Famicom and N64), and apparently you play as Itoi himself...

Who says creators cannot be playable in video games?! :awesome:

Curious Villager

Puzzles...
It's a bit strange Ganon isn't quite as desired as K.Rool and Ridley, if not even more.

Yeah Ganon kinda should have been about as desired as Ridley and K. Rool imo, he's just as important as the other villains but ah well. People kinda feel like "Ganondorf" is the more important guy... Which I don't necessarily agree with but ah well.... :T

Morbi

Scavenger
Yeah Ganon kinda should have been about as desired as Ridley and K. Rool imo, he's just as important as the other villains but ah well. People kinda feel like "Ganondorf" is the more important guy... Which I don't necessarily agree with but ah well.... :T
I don't necessarily agree with that either; he did appear in the most prominent Zelda titles (OoT, WW, and TP), but that is only three titles, Ganon also makes an appearance in those three titles as well. Overall, Ganon is much more "deserving" of a slot than Sheik. But whatever, it is what it is.

Last edited:

Curious Villager

Puzzles...
I don't necessarily agree with that either; he did appear in the most prominent Zelda titles (OoT, WW, and TP), but that is only three titles. Overall, Ganon is much more "deserving" of a slot than Sheik. But whatever, it is what it is.
Not to mention that even in those Zelda games, Ganon appeared in two of them. (OoT & TP) But yeah...

Spinosaurus

Treasure Hunter
NNID
WarioLand
Yeah Ganon kinda should have been about as desired as Ridley and K. Rool imo, he's kinda just as important as the other villains but ah well. People kinda feel like "Ganondorf" is the more important guy... Which I don't necessarily agree with but ah well.... :T
There's no reason they can't co-exist when the roster has two Links and Zeldas now, haha.

Dorf got lucky because of his physique being similar to Falcon, making him a last minute addition. Now I like Dorf and all, but Ganon feels more like the true villain in the series, whereas Dorf was only significant in OoT. (Dorf felt seriously shoehorned in TP, and WW is more "Toon Dorf" I guess if you wanna differentiate them.)

Also, thinking about it, Zelda in Smash only covers 3D Zelda. 2D Zelda did not even get a single stage beyond Temple, and they kinda picked the least popular and most polarizing classic Zelda game for that. With ALBW putting 2D Zelda back on the radar, there SHOULD be representation for Classic Zelda. Not necessarily a character, mind you, but a stage would be great.

Last edited:

Curious Villager

Puzzles...
There's no reason they can't co-exist when the roster has two Links and Zeldas now, haha.

Dorf got lucky because of his physique being similar to Falcon, making him a last minute addition. Now I like Dorf and all, but Ganon feels more like the true villain in the series, whereas Dorf was only significant in OoT. (Dorf felt seriously shoehorned in TP, and WW is more "Toon Dorf" I guess if you wanna differentiate them.)

Also, thinking about it, Zelda in Smash only covers 3D Zelda. 2D Zelda did not even get a single stage beyond Temple, and they kinda picked the least popular classic Zelda game for that. With ALBW putting 2D Zelda back on the radar, there SHOULD be representation for Classic Zelda. Not necessarily a character, mind you, but a stage would be great.
Yeah true.

Yeah, I guess dorf's sole appearance in OoT was probably why Sakurai had no problems in turning him into a quick Falcon clone in the first place whilst he felt that Wario "deserved better" at the other hand. Probably assuming that he would have been a one time only deal before Wind Waker and Twilight Princess came along, making him more prominent for the series and all.

But yeah, the top-down Zelda's do deserve some more love, it's nice that they at least gave us the Spirit Train stage but I'd like to see at least one more top-down Zelda related thing in Smash, maybe not a character, but hopefully at least a stage.

Morbi

Scavenger

Also, thinking about it, Zelda in Smash only covers 3D Zelda. 2D Zelda did not even get a single stage beyond Temple, and they kinda picked the least popular and most polarizing classic Zelda game for that. With ALBW putting 2D Zelda back on the radar, there SHOULD be representation for Classic Zelda. Not necessarily a character, mind you, but a stage would be great.
I don't feel as though a character would be unwarranted though. 2D Zelda being back on the radar is actually something fairly significant in my opinion, advocating a character like Ganon might actually help future 2D Zelda titles. Probably not, but I am grasping for those straws.

Maxilian

Smash Ace
Yeah true.

Yeah, I guess dorf's sole appearance in OoT was probably why Sakurai had no problems in turning him into a quick Falcon clone in the first place whilst he felt that Wario "deserved better" at the other hand. Probably assuming that he would have been a one time only deal before Wind Waker and Twilight Princess came along, making him more prominent for the series and all.

But yeah, the top-down Zelda's do deserve some more love, it's nice that they at least gave us the Spirit Train stage but I'd like to see at least one more top-down Zelda related thing in Smash, maybe not a character, but hopefully at least a stage.
I agree, i hope to see more AT of the Zelda games :drifloon:, mainly those games that are in DS and 3DS (spirit track and a link between worlds):drohyou:

Hey i did a double check and founf that Kamek also appears in Smash Run in the 3DS :drifloon:

So once again... No sorry :drsad:

Last edited by a moderator:

Morbi

Scavenger
I agree, i hope to see more AT of the Zelda games :drifloon:, mainly those games that are in DS and 3DS (spirit track and a link between worlds):drohyou:
The assist trophies have been of really prominent characters, fan-favorites. Tingle in the third installment, Midna and Skull Kid in the fourth. So I wouldn't be surprised if we got one more. Metroid has three after all. I just hope it isn't Ganon. I want him playable in some way, even if it is a Final Smash.

Spinosaurus

Treasure Hunter
NNID
WarioLand
Glad to see some Ganon love here by the way, I really think more than any other character he's a glaring omission. He'd be such a perfect fit for Smash.

Truth be told, I'm not optimistic towards his inclusion, in fact I don't see him as likely at all which is unfortunate, but he's practically the only character left that I can just see be in Smash.

Last edited:

TeenGirlSquad

Smash Master
Glad to see some Ganon love here by the way, I really think more than any other character he\s a glaring omission. He'd be such a perfect fit for Smash.

Truth be told, I'm not optimistic towards his inclusion, in fact I don't see him as likely at all which is unfortunate, but he's practically the only character left that I can just see be in Smash.
Well, we might get him as Ganondorf's new Final Smash. We technically already did, but it was a different rendition of him and you couldn't control him.

Morbi

Scavenger
Glad to see some Ganon love here by the way, I really think more than any other character he\s a glaring omission. He'd be such a perfect fit for Smash.

That is the most overt problem; he should be a glaring omission to literally everybody... but no one seems to notice that he is missing. It is so strange that one of the most prominent and prevalent Nintendo villains of all time is so rarely talked about.

I don't see him as too likely either. But I still have hope, hope that Sakurai notices. I wouldn't hold my breath though, I mean... Meowth.

Curious Villager

Puzzles...

I just hope that his revived (albeit for a several seconds) reappearance in ALBW won't be his last before he disappears for many years again and that he might show up again in a future Zelda title. Maybe not in Zelda U but at least sometime in the future.

Morbi

Scavenger
I just hope that his revived (albeit for a several seconds) reappearance in ALBW won't be his last before he disappears for many years again and that he might show up again in a future Zelda title. Maybe not in Zelda U but at least sometime in the future.
I already understand that you are just being modest or realistic, but why wouldn't you hope that that he makes an appearance in Zelda U?

That being said; if he was in Zelda U, but not playable in Smash 4, I would shed a tear of blood.

Curious Villager

Puzzles...
I already understand that you are just being modest or realistic, but why wouldn't you hope that that he makes an appearance in Zelda U?

That being said; if he was in Zelda U, but not playable in Smash 4, I would shed a tear of blood.
No not like that, I'd love to see him again in Zelda U. Guess I worded that wrong. I just hope to see him again soon and that he won't disappear off the face of the series again for many years after making his recent (albeit short) comeback again.

JamesDNaux

Smash Hero
NNID
JamesDNaux
I feel as though people forget that Ganondorf has existed since A Link to the Past (by name, at least).

I don't treat Ganon and Dorf as separate entities, Ganon is simply the beastly form of the man who stole part of the Triforce. Now Ganon has appeared as a beast in more games than Dorf has appeared as a man, but the man is still central to the beast. Personally, Ganondorf is my favorite Nintendo villain, and that's because of his characterizations as the man in OoT, WW, and TP. Maybe I should like Ganon more as he was who I was first introduced to, but I just like a real humanized character with motivations instead of a mindless beast who's been completely corrupted by the evil power he sought out. I suppose I could see Ganon appearing as a separate entity from Dorf as a character in Smash (as long as Dorf is there), though I feel like this would pose a few problems. Overall in regards to Zelda in Smash, all I really want is a Ganondorf true to Ganondorf, not Captain Falcondorf, this has been the only thing that has stopped me from maining him wholeheartedly.

Now a trident wielding Ganon as a limited transformation final smash, however, I could completely get behind.

Morbi

Scavenger
I feel as though people forget that Ganondorf has existed since A Link to the Past (by name, at least).

I don't treat Ganon and Dorf as separate entities, Ganon is simply the beastly form of the man who stole part of the Triforce. Now Ganon has appeared as a beast in more games than Dorf has appeared as a man, but the man is still central to the beast. Personally, Ganondorf is my favorite Nintendo villain, and that's because of his characterizations as the man in OoT, WW, and TP. Maybe I should like Ganon more as he was who I was first introduced to, but I just like a real humanized character with motivations instead of a mindless beast who's been completely corrupted by the evil power he sought out. I suppose I could see Ganon appearing as a separate entity from Dorf as a character in Smash (as long as Dorf is there), though I feel like this would pose a few problems. Overall in regards to Zelda in Smash, all I really want is a Ganondorf true to Ganondorf, not Captain Falcondorf, this has been the only thing that has stopped me from maining him wholeheartedly.

Now a trident wielding Ganon as a limited transformation final smash, however, I could completely get behind.
I do agree with you to an extent; Ganondorf is the reason I like Ganon. I suppose they are meant to be the same entity. But still, I feel as though both could and should co-exist. I don't believe that we should have to choose one over the other. I main Ganondorf wholeheartedly and I will continue to do so, but I can't help but feel as though the Legend of Zelda portion of the roster is missing something.

I hope that, at the very least, they do update his Final Smash to reflect "true" Ganon.

Rockaphin

Smash Champion
NNID
Rockaphin
3DS FC
2595-0113-8473
Hey i did a double check and founf that Kamek also appears in Smash Run in the 3DS :drifloon:

I'm going to conclude that as a Magikoopa, rather than the Kamek. I could see the confusion as they look exactly identical. But I seriously doubted Kamek's appearance in the first place.

Headcrab Jackalope

Smash Ace
NNID
Jackalope1313
3DS FC
0791-2751-5749
Switch FC
SW-2418-1451-4036

Technically, that's a Magikoopa, not Kamek. But since they're identical and have the same name in Japanese, he's pretty much disconfirmed.
Edit: Shedninja'd.
I think we should discuss Savvy Stylist more
Like a lot more
I think we should discuss Plasm Wraith more
Like a lot more

Savvy Stylist and Plasm Wraith for new discussion topic. Also they're still not disconfirmed. :bee:

Last edited:

Curious Villager

Puzzles...

Even with ALttP, the beast form has made many more appearances over the years.

But as said before, with Sakurai having no qualms with having Zelda and Sheik as separate character (as well as Samus and Zamus) I don't really see why we can't really have both Ganon and Ganondorf together in the game. Both have more or less become very important staples to the Zelda series much like the Adult and Child Link. And both of course have their fans too.

I guess they could go ahead and take care of "Falcondorf"and make him reflect "Ganondorf" more accurately. But I'd certainly like to see the classic beast Ganon too one day. At least turning Ganondorf's final smash into a playable classic Ganon would be a start I suppose....

Last edited:

Maxilian

Smash Ace
Technically, that's a Magikoopa, not Kamek. But since they're identical and have the same name in Japanese, he's pretty much disconfirmed.
Edit: Shedninja'd.
Well i check some info about Kamek and he's actually Magikoopas (they are the same), here what the wikia says::drifloon:

Magikoopas (referred to as Kameks in Japan and more recent PAL version translations and also referred to as Koopa Wizards in the Super Mario World television series)

I think we should discuss Plasm Wraith more
Like a lot more

Savvy Stylist and Plasm Wraith for new discussion topic. Also they're still not disconfirmed. :bee:
I didn't even knew who Plasm Wraith was:drohmy: (i have seen.. that thing before but didn't knew the name:dr^_^:) and i totally agree with Sawy Stylist :drflip: (She won't be in but... maybe we can give her enough "promotion" to make her a possible character for SSB5 :drohyou: )

Headcrab Jackalope

Smash Ace
NNID
Jackalope1313
3DS FC
0791-2751-5749
Switch FC
SW-2418-1451-4036
Well i check some info about Kamek and he's actually Magikoopas (they are the same), here what the wikia says::drifloon:

Magikoopas (referred to as Kameks in Japan and more recent PAL version translations and also referred to as Koopa Wizards in the Super Mario World television series)

I didn't even knew who Plasm Wraith was:drohmy: (i have seen.. that thing before but didn't knew the name:dr^_^:) and i totally agree with Sawy Stylist :drflip: (She won't be in but... maybe we can give her enough "promotion" to make her a possible character for SSB5 :drohyou: )
Okay. Kamek is an individual Magikoopa. Kamek is a Magikoopa, but a Magikoopa is not Kamek, if that makes sense. In Japan, Magikoopas and Kamek are both referred to as Kamek. Think of it like Toad. There are many Toads, but Toad himself is a separate character.

Yeah, Plasm Wraith isn't very well-known, but that's why I'm spreading my propaganda everywhere. :dr^_^:

Maxilian

Smash Ace
Even with ALttP, the beast form has made many more appearances over the years.

But as said before, with Sakurai having no qualms with having Zelda and Sheik as separate character (as well as Samus and Zamus) I don't really see why we can't really have both Ganon and Ganondorf together in the game. Both have more or less become very important staples to the Zelda series much like the Adult and Child Link. And both of course have their fans too.

I guess they could go ahead and take care of "Falcondorf"and make him reflect "Ganondorf" more accurately. But I'd certainly like to see the classic beast Ganon too one day. At least turning Ganondorf's final smash into a playable classic Ganon would be a start I suppose....
Well... let me tell you what they should do... :drifloon:

A) Give Ganondorf his own unique set, HE SHOULD BE UNIQUE!:drflip:

B) Add Black Shadow and give him Ganondorf moveset from Brawl

C) Change Ganondorf final smash, instead of transforming into Ganon, make him go into his horse (like in Twillight Princess) or Make him fly around and throw a lot of spells (like in Ocarine of Time -Pin Pong:drohyou:)

Okay. Kamek is an individual Magikoopa. Kamek is a Magikoopa, but a Magikoopa is not Kamek, if that makes sense. In Japan, Magikoopas and Kamek are both referred to as Kamek. Think of it like Toad. There are many Toads, but Toad himself is a separate character.
Yeah, my bad :drsad:, i read a little more and found that
http://www.mariowiki.com/Kamek
Yeah, Plasm Wraith isn't very well-known, but that's why I'm spreading my propaganda everywhere. :dr^_^:
Stay away from drifloon, HE'S MINE!!! :drflip:

Last edited:

Curious Villager

Puzzles...
Well... let me tell you what they should do... :drifloon:

A) Give Ganondorf his own unique set, HE SHOULD BE UNIQUE!:drflip:

B) Add Black Shadow and give him Ganondorf moveset from Brawl

C) Change Ganondorf final smash, instead of transforming into Ganon, make him go into his horse (like in Twillight Princess) or Make him fly around and throw a lot of spells (like in Ocarine of Time -Pin Pong:drohyou:)
I guess him fighting on horseback would be a neat replacement from his Ganon final smash, he could also use those twilight spirit things he summons from Twilight Princess too.

ps. try not to doublepost though, Maxilian.

Last edited:

Arcanir

An old friend evolved
NNID
Shoryu91
3DS FC
4253-4855-5860

The thing to consider about Ganon is that him and Ganondorf are the same person and he is represented via FS, so the character is still technically being represented in the game whereas neither Ridley or King K. Rool are represented in any fashion of being playable characters. So it's not surprising that they'd have much more support to them due to that.

Leafeon523

Smash Ace
NNID
Leafeon523
3DS FC
2466-1607-7000
Here are my thoughts on what an absolute minimum roster might be. This is presuming that TEAM SORA (it isn't just Sakurai people) is working under absolute minimum conditions, so any potentially time-consuming newcomers have not been added. Only 44 characters and three unrevealed newcomers.
Mario::mario2::luigi2::bowser2::4peach::rosalina:
Zelda: :4link::4sheik::4tlink::4zelda::ganondorf:
Pokémon::jigglypuff::4charizard::4greninja::4pikachu::4lucario::mewtwopm:
Dk::4diddy::4dk:Dixie
Fire Emblem: :4marth::ike:Chrom
Kid Icarus: :4pit: Palutena
Kirby: :kirby2::metaknight::dedede:
Star fox: :fox::wolf:
Earthbound::ness2::lucas:
Metroid::zerosuitsamus::samus2:
Seies retaining only 1 rep: :falcon::gw::olimar::sonic::wario::4yoshi:
New series with 1 rep: :4megaman::4littlemac::4villager::4wiifit: