• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Character Discussion Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

Scoliosis Jones

Kept you waiting, huh?
Writing Team
NNID
ScoliosisxJones
3DS FC
1762-3194-1826
If robin is the character you play as, i'd say robin
Problem is that you don't really play as one singular character in Fire Emblem. You control several different characters. The Avatar is simply a representation of the player.

I still think the argument of who is more important is irrelevant.

Knight Dude

Keeping it going.
NNID
Kaine-Rodgers
3DS FC
0232-7749-6030
Its Nintendo s biggest game of the year Sakurai will at least mention i believe and Wario is only one left to put in who in it.
Fair enough point, I just feel like we might not get any substantial news until E3 happens. Mario Kart 8 will definitely be one of Nintendo's biggest titles this year, but Smash is also coming out in 2014, so I'm not entirely sure I'd call Mario Kart their ace in the hole.

Speaking of news, I wonder if Sakurai would give out some more moveset info for characters like Charizard and Greninja.

Rockaphin

Smash Champion
NNID
Rockaphin
3DS FC
2595-0113-8473
I don't think I ever laughed so much while playing a videogame. (Mario and Luigi: Superstar Saga)
That game was hilarious, I think that and Paper Mario TTYD were some of Mario's funniest (and best) games out there. Both series need more representation in Smash. Personally, I prefer them over the main series.

Miffa

The Money Man
NNID
DeanMiffa
Fair enough point, I just feel like we might not get any substantial news until E3 happens. Mario Kart 8 will definitely be one of Nintendo's biggest titles this year, but Smash is also coming out in 2014, so I'm not entirely sure I'd call Mario Kart their ace in the hole.

Speaking of news, I wonder if Sakurai would give out some more moveset info for characters like Charizard and Greninja.
I think sales wise Mario kart usually is better and with smash coming to the 3ds that cuts a lot of wii u sales. The main reason i see something to be revealed on that to maybe to hype both up or maybe a Mario akrt 8 wii u stage.

Josshu

Smash Rookie
3DS FC
1590-4719-4916
I don't mean to drudge up the whole Chrom debate, but I'm still unclear as to why people assume he will be a boring inclusion. Aesthetically he's very similar to Marth and Ike, certainly, but there's no reason his moveset has to be similar to the other lords. Most of the similarities that Ike and Marth (and Roy by extension) share have nothing to do with the actual gameplay of Fire Emblem, so they aren't required on every Fire Emblem character. Chrom doesn't need to have a counter or a Charge-able neutral special move any more than Robin, Anna, or even Marth does.

That said, I certainly have a preference for Robin, Morgan, or Anna, but it doesn't mean that Chrom has to be an abysmally boring inclusion. He's a bit boring in comparison to the other characters in his game, but in many ways that's sort of the bane of all Fire Emblem lords. I'd argue that Ike and Roy are the most bland characters in their games as well, and I'd only give Marth a pass because he's the seminal Fire Emblem lord.

D

Deleted member

I don't mean to drudge up the whole Chrom debate, but I'm still unclear as to why people assume he will be a boring inclusion. Aesthetically he's very similar to Marth and Ike, certainly, but there's no reason his moveset has to be similar to the other lords. Most of the similarities that Ike and Marth (and Roy by extension) share have nothing to do with the actual gameplay of Fire Emblem, so they aren't required on every Fire Emblem character. Chrom doesn't need to have a counter or a Charge-able neutral special move any more than Robin, Anna, or even Marth does.

That said, I certainly have a preference for Robin, Morgan, or Anna, but it doesn't mean that Chrom has to be an abysmally boring inclusion. He's a bit boring in comparison to the other characters in his game, but in many ways that's sort of the bane of all Fire Emblem lords. I'd argue that Ike and Roy are the most bland characters in their games as well, and I'd only give Marth a pass because he's the seminal Fire Emblem lord.
Because people are worried about Chrom being an Ike 2.0; which is realistically the last thing I want to see with the roster. It's an absolutely horrible idea that should burn in hell for all eternity.

Hopefully with Sakurai's emphasis on uniqueness he will find a way to make Chrom unique as well as keep Marth and Ike. It'd clearly be contradictory for Sakurai to replace Ike with Chrom.

Maxilian

Smash Ace
Because people are worried about Chrom being an Ike 2.0; which is realistically the last thing I want to see with the roster. It's an absolutely horrible idea that should burn in hell for all eternity.

Hopefully with Sakurai's emphasis on uniqueness he will find a way to make Chrom unique as well as keep Marth and Ike. It'd clearly be contradictory for Sakurai to replace Ike with Chrom.
I agree, actually i don't even want Ike to be replaced, why can't we have both?! :drflip:, and i don't think so Chrom will be a copy of Ike or Marth, i'm pretty sure he will be unique :drohyou:

jweb22

Smash Apprentice
The problem with this line of thinking, is that StarFox having "too many" characters has nothing to do with other franchises getting characters or not.

We could have just Fox, we could have four spacies, that has no affect on other characters. Other series will get characters based on their own merits.
Okay, for some reason people are taking what I'm saying out of context.

I DO NOT blame StarFox for certain series not having playable reps. I simply think that the series has to many reps compared to the other series. StatFox is in the same boat as F-zero as they are fun games with lead characters whose moves needed to be made up for them to be included in the game, and both of their series are currently "dead." I find it weird that they have more reps then the WAY more popular DK franchise as there's literally no good reason for that being the case. Plus the fact that I hate clone characters so I wouldn't even give it a thought if Falco got cut.

So in conclusion, I DO NOT hate StarFox, I DO NOT think it is the reason for other IPs not having playable reps. I simply feel that the series has to many reps! That is all!

Hot Uncle Sparky

Smash Apprentice
3DS FC
4356-0645-2703

I DO NOT blame StarFox for certain series not having playable reps. I simply think that the series has to many reps compared to the other series. StatFox is in the same boat as F-zero as they are fun games with lead characters whose moves needed to be made up for them to be included in the game, and both of their series are currently "dead." I find it weird that they have more reps then the WAY more popular DK franchise as there's literally no good reason for that being the case. Plus the fact that I hate clone characters so I wouldn't even give it a thought if Falco got cut.

So in conclusion, I DO NOT hate StarFox, I DO NOT think it is the reason for other IPs not having playable reps. I simply feel that the series has to many reps! That is all!
I disagree to an extent; I think Fox, Not Fox, and Not Fox Bird are enough for StarFox, it's 4 characters where I draw the line.

Last edited:

Josshu

Smash Rookie
3DS FC
1590-4719-4916

I understand that that's what some people are worried about, and its a reasonable thing to be weary of. But its neither an inevitability or a fault of Chrom as a character. I feel as though people should be saying "I hope Chrom is unique from Ike" instead of just acquiescing that "Chrom will be boring if he's included so anyone else would be better".

Like I said, if the issue is "Chrom is the most boring character in his game" it is logical (as long as people realize that Roy and Ike are the most bland choices from their games for pretty much the same reasons). However, the sentiment I see far more often is "Chrom is boring inherently" which is only true if Sakurai doesn't put effort into differentiating him.

Fire Emblemier

The Crests are to Blame
Switch FC
SW-2862-0450-4332

Well, Fox's specials aren't totally made up like falcon, the specials represents the major functions of the arwing.
N-special represents the basic laser.
side-special represents the speed boost it has.
Up-Special represents the bomb arwing's use.
and finally, the down-special represents the iconic barrel roll.

False Sense

Ad Astra Per Aspera
NNID
FalseSense
3DS FC
3368-2599-3209
Maybe Chrom can be our drainer, doesn't he have draining moves in Awakening?
He has one move, Aether, that has partial draining properties. But it's not something Chrom uses for every attack, nor is it something his in game play style is based around. Plus, Ike has the same ability in his games, which he uses as his up special. That move has no draining properties, despite the move it's based on.

Last edited:

TeenGirlSquad

Smash Master
He has one move, Aether, that has partial draining properties. But it's not something Chrom uses for every attack, nor is it something his in game play style is based around. Plus, Ike has the same ability in his games, which he uses as his up special. That move has no draining properties, despite the move it's based on.
Thanks for the clarification... The more I think about it, the more I'm disappointed that he's probably in. xD

Fire Emblemier

The Crests are to Blame
Switch FC
SW-2862-0450-4332
Maybe Chrom can be our drainer, doesn't he have draining moves in Awakening?
You're thinking of the ability aether, which was originally only for Ike prior to Awakening, So, I wouldn't count on it. Also that part of Aether comes from another ability Sol. As Aether is a combination of the abilities Sol and Luna.
edit: Ninja'd
I understand that that's what some people are worried about, and its a reasonable thing to be weary of. But its neither an inevitability or a fault of Chrom as a character. I feel as though people should be saying "I hope Chrom is unique from Ike" instead of just acquiescing that "Chrom will be boring if he's included so anyone else would be better".

Like I said, if the issue is "Chrom is the most boring character in his game" it is logical (as long as people realize that Roy and Ike are the most bland choices from their games for pretty much the same reasons). However, the sentiment I see far more often is "Chrom is boring inherently" which is only true if Sakurai doesn't put effort into differentiating him.
Ike at least has certain traits that sets him aside from other lords, from being just a mercenary leader, and also not being of royal lineage. Every other lord, seems to follow in Marth's footsteps of being of royal blood, and most also even having similar growths.

Last edited:

True Blue Warrior

Smash Hero
NNID
TrueBlueSM
3DS FC
2036-7619-4276
I find it amusing how we always end up discussing Chrom somehow.:chuckle:

*Heated Corn debate that goes on*
*Some other topic starts up and people talk about that*
*some time later Chrom arguments ensues once again*

People, if you don't like Chrom, you can simply just not talk about him.:p

jweb22

Smash Apprentice
Well, Fox's specials aren't totally made up like falcon, the specials represents the major functions of the arwing.
N-special represents the basic laser.
side-special represents the speed boost it has.
Up-Special represents the bomb arwing's use.
and finally, the down-special represents the iconic barrel roll.
Hmm, I never noticed that, interesting. Doesn't change my point but that is interesting.

Bowserlick

Smash Hero

What kind of playstyle and moves would he have to be made interesting and different from Marth and Ike?

Oblivion129

Smash Lord
NNID
Oblivion129
3DS FC
1821-9773-2413
Chrom could summon Frederick like how Zelda summons a Phantom, to represent Dual Strike/Dual Guard.
He could charge the Exalted Falchion to add damage to his attacks.
He could throw a javelin or use the Nidhogg (bow and arrow) like his costume in MH.

He has potential to have a unique moveset, it depends on Sakurai. The problem is that hardcore FE fans are picky because there are so many other characters and want their favorite or simple don't like Chrom's personality. It's more of a matter of opinions, because I think he looks cool and I like his personality.

Josshu

Smash Rookie
3DS FC
1590-4719-4916
Ike at least has certain traits that sets him aside from other lords, from being just a mercenary leader, and also not being of royal lineage. Every other lord, seems to follow in Marth's footsteps of being of royal blood, and most also even having similar growths.
Quite true, Ike is certainly unique among the lords. You're right, they all pretty much follow Marth's footsteps. But even then people could assert that he's the least unique choice from his game(s) when you compare him to Micaiah, Zelgius or Soothe (okay maybe not Soothe...) who all play pivotal roles in the plot and could bring something new to the table in smash bros, while representing a different aspect of the Fire Emblem Series. We all only appreciate Ike from a gameplay standpoint now because he's was actually made different from Marth. Really, he could have easily just replaced Roy and inherited his moveset. If Chrom receives the same treatment, whats the beef so to speak? Sure Chrom wont be the most stellar choice from his game, but honestly we've seldom gotten the most stellar choice when it comes to Fire Emblem (looking at you Roy, Lilina would've been much better).

And again, this is not coming from a fondness of Chrom. I'd much rather have Morgan or Robin, or any of the quality supporting cast in the game. I just like debating.

BKupa666

Barnacled Boss
If I had to guess, the Fire Emblem fans against Chrom don't want their franchise to be represented in such a one-note homogenous manner.

Look at series like Star Fox, for example; after Brawl, it's become almost a running gag how ridiculous it is that there are three Space Animals with conceptually identical attacks and Final Smashes. I imagine this is why the (sane) Krystal fans want her in to mix things up...I know it's a factor for me in wanting K. Rool as a DK character before a third Kong. Fire Emblem fans don't want their series to go down the same route, where there are nothing but milquetoast blue-haired sword-swingers included when the series has much more diversity to offer beyond that.

Spinosaurus

Treasure Hunter
NNID
WarioLand
If I had to guess, the Fire Emblem fans against Chrom don't want their franchise to be represented in such a one-note homogenous manner.
In my case, the character is just so mediocre that I couldn't give two craps about him even if I tried. This is how I feel for Roy as well.

I wouldn't lose sleep if he got in, but if I'd pick Anna above everyone. (I'd have liked Lyn, but alas) That said, I'd be just fine with just Marth and Ike, but that maybe because I know that Chrom is gonna get in as the third rep. lol

Last edited:

Morbi

Scavenger

Look at series like Star Fox, for example; after Brawl, it's become almost a running gag how ridiculous it is that there are three Space Animals with conceptually identical attacks and Final Smashes. I imagine this is why the (sane) Krystal fans want her in to mix things up...I know it's a factor for me in wanting K. Rool as a DK character before a third Kong. Fire Emblem fans don't want their series to go down the same route, where there are nothing but milquetoast blue-haired sword-swingers included when the series has much more diversity to offer beyond that.
I agree to an extent; but it isn't necessarily the same thing. Ike and Marth have antithetical play-styles (unlike Fox or Falco). Chrom isn't even that unpopular anywhere else, it is a Smashboards thing based on the color of his hair. I am not going to deny that there are more ideal candidates, but Chrom isn't a detrimental candidate in the slightest. If Sakurai adds Chrom, he isn't going to make him an Ike clone. I can guarantee it. The only way that would happen is if Chrom is a last minute addition. Even then, I feel as though he would incorporate some of Marth's moves to make Chrom feel like a Fire Emblem clone as opposed to a Ike/Marth clone. If you know what I mean.

Last edited:

BKupa666

Barnacled Boss
I agree to an extent; but it isn't necessarily the same thing. Ike and Marth have antithetical play-styles (unlike Fox or Falco). Chrom isn't even that unpopular anywhere else, it is a Smashboards thing based on the color of his hair. I am not going to deny that there are more ideal candidates, but Chrom isn't a detrimental candidate in the slightest. If Sakurai adds Chrom, he isn't going to make him an Ike clone. I can guarantee it. The only way that would happen is if Chrom is a last minute addition. Even then, I feel as though he would incorporate some of Marth's moves to make Chrom feel like a Fire Emblem clone as opposed to a Ike/Marth clone. If you know what I mean.
Ike and Marth do have antithetical playstyles, which is why few people have a problem with them being in, other than maybe that one Lyn fan who threatened suicide pre-Brawl when her Assist Trophy got shown.

People are most likely turned off by the playstyle Chrom is likely to have. He won't be an Ike clone, no, he'll be "a middle ground between Marth and Ike," and personally, that's complete bulls***, especially if Ike somehow gets cut for Chrom. Sakurai would have outright lied about "looking for unique characters" in that case, though judging by WFT, he already did, to be fair.

Then, looking ahead to SSB6, Chrom's inclusion would set a crappy precedent; Intelligent System's lovingly crafts a "brilliant new" Chrom ripoff as a lord, who then gets insta-added into Smash because heaven forbid Sakurai not do that. What'll he be, "a middle ground between Marth and Chrom?" A "middle ground between Chrom and Ike?" And all anyone will be able to think about is either how plump his buttocks are or how "OMG UNIQUE, SAKURAI ADDS WHO YOU DON'T KNOW YOU WANT" ad nauseam.

Last edited:

Morbi

Scavenger
View attachment 13817
Like, comment, rate and subscribe.
Grovyle over Sceptile? I honestly have to commend you for your bravery.

Other than that, there are a few odd choices. Star Fox has an additional representative while Zelda is largely stagnant. I don't believe something like that would happen.

Black Shadow is the best addition on your roster.

I haven't seen anyone speculate for Lip in quite some time, that is refreshing I suppose.

The cut of Jigglypuff is probably going to be detrimental, especially with unnecessary additions. *cough Chibi cough*

Two Donkey Kong representatives seemed feasible prior to Tropical Freeze, but that would have been the time to promote one of their characters. I feel as though their inaction in regards to this notion might allude to the fact that we are only going to have one of them. This is just my opinion.

Josshu

Smash Rookie
3DS FC
1590-4719-4916
What kind of playstyle and moves would he have to be made interesting and different from Marth and Ike?
That's tough to answer. But if you had asked me a year ago how a boxer would've been made so unique in smash bros, or how Rosalina could have been made to be so special I would've been stumped. I can try to answer though.

First off Chrom doesn't need have a counter or a chargable neutral special move, since neither of those things are integral to Fire Emblem and thereby don't need to be included on every Fire Emblem character. Chrom performs a falling pinwheel attack (where he spins his entire body vertically while falling) in a cutscene, so that could be an interesting aerial move. He can also class change into an Archer of all things, so it might be cool to see him use a bow. And of course as @ Oblivion129 Oblivion129 just mentioned, summoning the various members of his supporting cast, the way Zelda summons the Phantom Knight, could highlight the "Pair Up" mechanic in the game. Sumia for recovery, Robin for Neutral Special, Frederick for Forward Special, Lissa for Down Special. Then we still have Vaike (Fighter) , Stahl & Sully (Cavaliers), Miriel (Mage), and Kellam (Who?) left as the original Shepards. To differentiate him from Phantom Knight, lets say Chrom's summoned characters have longer more elaborate animations and recovery and he can't summon a second character while one is already out on the field, leaving him vulnerable if he isn't careful.

As for all of his "A" attacks being sword slashes, that's something that Link, Toon Link, Marth, Ike, and Roy already have to deal with, and since alot of people like to mention that "Robin could use a Sword And Tome", Robin would have had to differentiate her/his swordplay as well.

Last edited:

Spinosaurus

Treasure Hunter
NNID
WarioLand
Black Shadow is the best addition on your roster.
Black Shadow is the best addition in any roster now that Goroh is gone rip in pieces ;_;

That's tough to answer. But if you had asked me a year ago how a boxer would've been made so unique in smash bros, or how Rosalina could have been made to be so special I would've been stumped. I can try to answer though.
Funny that, I think Mac's moveset could have been better. In fact I'm kinda disappointed by it since I don't feel like it represents boxing well. :p

Last edited:

Bowserlick

Smash Hero
If Chrom had a taunt where he presented himself like an animal in heat I would instantly be OK with his inclusion.

I have come to grips with the fact that he most likely is in the game. Sakurai did a great job making Little Mac interesting so I am curious how he tackles Chrom.

True Blue Warrior

Smash Hero
NNID
TrueBlueSM
3DS FC
2036-7619-4276
People are most likely turned off by the playstyle Chrom is likely to have. He won't be an Ike clone, no, he'll be "a middle ground between Marth and Ike," and personally, that's complete bulls***, especially if Ike somehow gets cut for Chrom. Sakurai would have outright lied about "looking for unique characters" in that case, though judging by WFT, he already did, to be fair.
Just for the record, despite him emphasizing uniqueness, I never believed that every newcomer character added to Smash 4 would fill this uniqueness quota, which is why I see Toon Zelda as a plausible candidate. Regardless of personal opinion, Chrom being in could prove that less than inherently unique characters are indeed on the table-and yes, this does include semi-clones.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom