• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Character Discussion Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

Louie G.

Smash Hero
In the end, all that really matters are his mainstream purposes.
For the record, this was not the case for Rosalina, who only appeared in three mainstream titles.
Of course her importance is increasing tremendously, but you know what I mean.
I think that if we get a 6th Mario character, it's between Bowser Jr. or Paper Mario.

TeenGirlSquad

Smash Master
I do find that a bit odd. I think a series like Fire Emblem really should only have main characters playable. So seeing people support characters like Lucina strikes me as somewhat questionable.
Well, Lucina was on the cover of Awakening, and was marketed nearly as much as Chrom, if not as much.

And then there's Anna, who isn't a main character by any means, but she appears in every game.

Last edited:

Morbi

Scavenger
For the record, this was not the case for Rosalina, who only appeared in three mainstream titles.
I think that if we get a 6th Mario character, it's between Bowser Jr. or Paper Mario.
Wasn't that the case for Rosalina though? What appearances has she made outside of her 3 mainstream titles?

Mario & Sonic Guy

Old rivalries live on!
NNID
TPitch5
3DS FC
5327-1637-5096
Popularity likely played a factor too, since it could be implied that Rosalina has a bigger fan base than Bowser Jr..

False Sense

Ad Astra Per Aspera
NNID
FalseSense
3DS FC
3368-2599-3209
Well, Lucina was on the cover of Awakening, and was marketed nearly as much as Chrom, if not as much.

And then there's Anna, who isn't a main character by any means, but she appears in every game.
But ultimately, despite being advertised so much, Lucina's only about the third most important character in Awakening. She's not even present for a good portion of the game, and just sort of appears and disappears for some time. To me, at least, adding a character like Lucina, before actual main characters like Chrom or Robin, would be like adding Luigi or Peach before Mario.

As for Anna... Eh, she's recurring, but she's not exactly prominent. I think Tiki had a better case going for her, and look where she ended up.

JamesDNaux

Smash Hero
NNID
JamesDNaux
I think this thread is starting to die.
Clearly we need to stir up some controversy. How about a roster? Ridley in, Jiggs out. People will eat this up.

To go into specifics, Jiggs isn't cut because of Pokemon having "too many reps," I honestly have no idea what will happen here, I'm expecting anything from 5-7. Newcomer choices are the same as always, Ridley is still here because being a boss doesn't mean he isn't playable, etc. Pac-Man is here too, though no Chorus Men or Miis, as I don't believe that leak at all. Chrom is a placeholder for whoever we *may* get from Fire Emblem Robin or Tiki would be far better.

TeenGirlSquad

Smash Master
But ultimately, despite being advertised so much, Lucina's only about the third most important character in Awakening. She's not even present for a good portion of the game, and just sort of appears and disappears for some time. To me, at least, adding a character like Lucina, before actual main characters like Chrom or Robin, would be like adding Luigi or Peach before Mario.

As for Anna... Eh, she's recurring, but she's not exactly prominent. I think Tiki had a better case going for her, and look where she ended up.
Well if Robin is playable, I hope to god we can play as this version of them:

G0LD3N L0TUS

Smash Lord
NNID
G0LD3N_L0TUS
3DS FC
3007-8158-6601
Chorus Men are the best lords.

On a serious note, we haven't talked Fire Emblem in a very long time.
It seems like most of us have settled on Chrom whether we like it or not except for those Robin hipsters.
I AM PROUD TO BE A HIPSTER!!!! DON'T YOU JUDGE ME!!!!!

False Sense

Ad Astra Per Aspera
NNID
FalseSense
3DS FC
3368-2599-3209
Clearly we need to stir up some controversy. How about a roster? Ridley in, Jiggs out. People will eat this up.

To go into specifics, Jiggs isn't cut because of Pokemon having "too many reps," I honestly have no idea what will happen here, I'm expecting anything from 5-7. Newcomer choices are the same as always, Ridley is still here because being a boss doesn't mean he isn't playable, etc. Pac-Man is here too, though no Chorus Men or Miis, as I don't believe that leak at all. Chrom is a placeholder for whoever we *may* get from Fire Emblem Robin or Tiki would be far better.
I feel like we fairly recently discussed this same roster. I'd still say Jigglypuff should be on there somewhere, but that's about it.

Also, un-cross that thing about Robin being far better than Chrom. That's just true.

Morbi

Scavenger
Also I find if depressing that Shulk is actually a better Fire Emblem character then the actual Fire Emblem characters.
What?

I feel as though Lucina is prominent enough, she obviously isn't as important as Chrom, the more ideal choice. But she isn't really secondary status.

JamesDNaux

Smash Hero
NNID
JamesDNaux
I feel like we fairly recently discussed this same roster. I'd still say Jigglypuff should be on there somewhere, but that's about it.

Also, un-cross that thing about Robin being far better than Chrom. That's just true.
We tend to recycle topics, a lot. I'd like to have Jiggs on it as well, but it's more a matter of finding a space for her since some people seem to think a roster over 50 is the spawn of Satan. Shulk is a pretty iffy character, I could always take him off and put Jiggs back, or perhaps Lucas (or some other vet) could be cut.

Ah, you know, Chrom's the bomb and all that. I'd honestly prefer Tiki over anyone else from FE, though Robin is still far better than Chrom at any rate.

Morbi

Scavenger
You heard me, the Fire Emblem choices are so mediocre that a character from an entirely unrelated series can ironically do more justice.
I am not saying that Shulk isn't a better character, but objectively speaking, he couldn't be a better Fire Emblem character because he isn't a Fire Emblem character. That is the inherent flaw with that statement.

False Sense

Ad Astra Per Aspera
NNID
FalseSense
3DS FC
3368-2599-3209
I am not saying that Shulk isn't a better character, but objectively speaking, he couldn't be a better Fire Emblem character because he isn't a Fire Emblem character. That is the inherent flaw with that statement.
I do believe that's the joke.

Is it a flawed statement? Yes. But I think that's what's supposed to be funny about it.

Zzuxon

Smash Champion
NNID
zzuxon
3DS FC
3695-0453-0481

I would recommend exchanging Wolf or Lucas for Jiggs. Other than that, the roster is fine.
I would also exchange Takamaru for a different misc., but that is personal preference to a much greater degree.

Last edited:

Morbi

Scavenger
I've never played Fire Emblem, why the schism between Robin and Chrom?
Most find Chrom to be a redundant or generic candidate (he only really uses his sword) while others find Robin to be the more ideal character aesthetically and game-play wise (Robin can use Tomes, magic, in addition to sword-play). However, Chrom is more important. But Robin is still one of the main protagonists, Robin is the character you actually play as. So some assert that she is more important than Chrom. Chrom is the overt choice when it comes to marketing and promotion. He is recognizable. Robin doesn't necessarily have a design applicable to her. You can customize him/her in a plethora of ways, so Robin isn't as iconic.

False Sense

Ad Astra Per Aspera
NNID
FalseSense
3DS FC
3368-2599-3209
I've never played Fire Emblem, why the schism between Robin and Chrom?
Pretty much what @ G0LD3N L0TUS G0LD3N L0TUS said.

Although, if you'd like a little more thorough analysis of the situation, perhaps you'd like to give this a read. I think I analyze the "schism" fairly well here.

JamesDNaux

Smash Hero
NNID
JamesDNaux
I would recommend exchanging Wolf or Lucas for Jiggs. Other than that, the roster is fine.
I would also exchange Takamaru for a different misc., but that is personal preference to a much greater degree.
Ok, the only thing Jiggs has going for her at all is her perfect attendee veteran status, I hardly think that's more important than Wolf.

Lucas perhaps, but that's still not much of a valid reason.

Takamaru isn't a "misc." either, Sakurai has mentioned that he likes being able to revive franchises and things are in Takamaru's favor currently.

Morbi

Scavenger
Ok, the only thing Jiggs has going for her at all is her perfect attendee veteran status, I hardly think that's more important than Wolf.

Lucas perhaps, but that's still not much of a valid reason.

Takamaru isn't a "misc." either, Sakurai has mentioned that he likes being able to revive franchises and things are in Takamaru's favor currently.
She also has her completely unique play-style, but whatever, you are right. It is only because she has shown up for 15 years.

TeenGirlSquad

Smash Master
Most find Chrom to be a redundant or generic candidate (he only really uses his sword) while others find Robin to be the more ideal character aesthetically and game-play wise (Robin can use Tomes, magic, in addition to sword-play). However, Chrom is more important. But Robin is still one of the main protagonists, Robin is the character you actually play as. So some assert that she is more important than Chrom. Chrom is the overt choice when it comes to marketing and promotion. He is recognizable. Robin doesn't necessarily have a design applicable to her. You can customize him/her in a plethora of ways, so Robin isn't as iconic.
Hm, if the Sal leak is true, does that actually boost Robin's chances? Because if Chrom is playable, then wouldn't the player character from his game also be playable?

I know that's not the reality, but in theory, it works out okay.

Last edited:

Morbi

Scavenger
Hm, if the Sal leak is true, does that actually boost Robin's chances? Because if Chrom is playable, then wouldn't the player character from his game also be playable?

I am not sure; everyone has been going all, " ... and either must die at the hand of the other for neither can live while the other survives."

JamesDNaux

Smash Hero
NNID
JamesDNaux
She also has her completely unique play-style, but whatever, you are right. It is only because she has shown up for 15 years.
A unique playstyle, veteran status, original twelve, a few fans, "fairy typing," etc. I'm just cutting to the chase, so to speak.

Wolf may have a similar playstyle to Fox, but his moveset is very different, and as a character, he's more important to both his own series and Smash popularity.

Ideally, I would love to see both of them, personally speaking, I don't care about the Pokemon in Smash and I don't care about StarFox outside of Adventures.

Zzuxon

Smash Champion
NNID
zzuxon
3DS FC
3695-0453-0481
I don't advocate cutting Wolf because he is a semi-clone, nor Lucas.
I avocate cutting them because I feel their series have a disproportionate number of characters.

Morbi

Scavenger
I don't advocate cutting Wolf because he is a semi-clone, nor Lucas.
I avocate cutting them because I feel their series have a disproportionate number of characters.
Wolf isn't a semi-clone; at the very most, he is a pseudo-clone. He only shares one move, two if you count the Final Smash.

Zzuxon

Smash Champion
NNID
zzuxon
3DS FC
3695-0453-0481
Wolf isn't a semi-clone; at the very most, he is a pseudo-clone. He only shares one move, two if you count the Final Smash.
I agree.
On second thought, I shuldve put quotes around semi-clone.
The point is that Wolf's moveset is totally irrelevant to why I cut him in my rosters.

False Sense

Ad Astra Per Aspera
NNID
FalseSense
3DS FC
3368-2599-3209

Yes, if the Sal leak is true, it hurts Robin's chances. I find it very unlikely that we'll see TWO brand new characters from the latest installment of a series that constantly changes its characters. I think one is enough, especially when we still have Ike as a reasonable veteran possibility.

But I don't believe the Sal leak anyway.

Morbi

Scavenger
I'm not very Wolf-savvy, so which move does he share? At least Blaster and Reflector have the same name, so I'm a little confused.
The Reflector. Wolf's blaster obviously uses different ammunition which results in different utility, animation, hit-box, and hit-stun. It also has a usable blade at the base.

I agree.
On second thought, I shuldve put quotes around semi-clone.
The point is that Wolf's moveset is totally irrelevant to why I cut him in my rosters.
Don't worry; I see the point of your post. I just hate it when people allude to a non-clone as a semi-clone. That would be like calling Ike a semi-clone of Marth because they share a counter.

JamesDNaux

Smash Hero
NNID
JamesDNaux
I believe the mentality of "series representation" to be a load of it, to put it bluntly. There is no "over-representation."

I'd hardly like to see ten Mario and Pokemon characters while everyone else gets a single character besides Zelda and DK.

Star Fox is fine with three characters, and I wouldn't even mind a fourth. Mother is fine where it is as well, but I don't think it will ever get a new character unless the series starts back up again.

Glyphoscythe

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Glyphoscythe
3DS FC
0834-0985-0680
I would really miss Jigglypuff if she was given the boot. There would be a hole in my heart that no 3rd gen poke or mega-evo could heal. Ok, that might be a bit dramatic, but still...

Kinda changing the subject here, but would anyone like a different final smash for G'dorf? I saw some Ganon discussion some pages back that I was too late for, so I kinda thought I'd chime in with two cents. I'd love it if they used a different form of beast Ganon for the FS. Like Lttp or Oot. I feel like his current one is boring, since all it does is charge across the screen.

Morbi

Scavenger
I would really miss Jigglypuff if she was given the boot. There would be a hole in my heart that no 3rd gen poke or mega-evo could heal. Ok, that might be a bit dramatic, but still...

Kinda changing the subject here, but would anyone like a different final smash for G'dorf? I saw some Ganon discussion some pages back that I was too late for, so I kinda thought I'd chime in with two cents. I'd love it if they used a different form of beast Ganon for the FS. Like Lttp or Oot. I feel like his current one is boring, since all it does is charge across the screen.
I wouldn't mind Beast Ganon in his OoT or LttP form. Otherwise, I would enjoy a new Final Smash. I honestly want Ganon as a playable character, not a Final Smash. Other than that, I thought that Ganondorf's Final Smash was fairly useful for the most part.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom