• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Character Discussion Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

Hot Uncle Sparky

Smash Apprentice
3DS FC
4356-0645-2703
It's not out of the question sure, but I still feel like people continually try to even out the amount of characters between series when I hardly think thats how sakurai would even go about it.
I think it's mostly because people think main series Mario needs to have the most reps, and Pokemon would be hogging up the roster if it had 6 out of almost 45.

Maxilian

Smash Ace
Pokemon had 6 out of 39 in Brawl; it was intended to have 7 out of 40.
Yep, my brother always says that Mario have to be the title with more character or at least one of the titles with more characters:drohyou: (no other title can have more character that Mario) but we have Brawl where we have 6 pokemon characters :drifloon:, i know some people would go and say that the Pokemon Trainer was only one character...:drfacepalm: but no, it wasn't even Sakurai said that there are seen as different character, just like Zelda and Sheik in Brawl and melee

Shorts

Zef Side
Premium
3DS FC
3136-6583-3704

lookin' for suggestions.

Also, would you rather be able to vote for individual characters, or game of origin spots? Ex:

Tails (Sonic The Hedgehog)
Knuckles (Sonic The Hedgehog)
Shadow (Sonic The Hedgehog)

or

2nd Sonic Character (Tails, Knuckles, Shadow)

HylianHeroBigBoss

Smash Lord
NNID
HylianHeroSnake
It isn't about proportional representation; it is about the notion that Mario had 5 characters in Melee, over a decade ago. The 6th representative could be coming in Smash 4.
But now we have quality over quantity, and with all the offshoot series I think they have their brightest new character in rosalina.
I think it's mostly because people think main series Mario needs to have the most reps, and Pokemon would be hogging up the roster if it had 6 out of almost 45.
Thats how its looked to me when people make their rosters. Although most of it is under the assumption that the pokemon characters we end up with will be the ones people have in mind, when we just dont know, hell we might not even get mewtwo but many wont accept that notion anyway.

-----

Probably like this
But then again, id rather have eggman then any of those characters anyway.

Last edited:

Morbi

Scavenger

lookin' for suggestions.

Also, would you rather be able to vote for individual characters, or game of origin spots? Ex:

or

I would rather vote for specific characters, voting for slots would skew the results.

Will

apustaja
Switch FC
SW-7573-2962-2407

lookin' for suggestions.

or

Fulgore (Killer Instinct)

Oh the joy this would bring me.

Last edited:

Will

apustaja
Switch FC
SW-7573-2962-2407
Fulgore would probably be the best character in the game; everyone would complain that he doesn't fit into Smash though.
Who doesn't want a killer cyborg with plasma claws and a portable Machine Gun helmet?

Bowserlick

Smash Hero
Killer Instinct's roster is laughable. Did not even know it was released.

And here we are hoping for fifty characters and Killer Instinct has 8. Haha.

Will

apustaja
Switch FC
SW-7573-2962-2407
Killer Instinct's roster is laughable. Did not even know it was released.

And here we are hoping for fifty characters and Killer Instinct has 8. Haha.
It's still in development. It's like SSB4,but we get new updates with new items and characters in game,like Minecraft.

Last edited:

Niala

Smash Ace
Well even if that's true :dr-_-:, Killer Instinct is one of the most balanced (if not the most) figther games:drflip:

Also... the game with the best training and tutorial :drohyou:
I'm not sure how true that is, basically because I've never played Killer Instinct. But I'd argue for each extra character on the roster, it gets exponentially more difficult to balance. Balancing a roster of 8 characters isn't really comparable to balancing a roster of 30.

These are pretty much my thoughts verbatim.
^

Last edited:

Substitution

Deacon Blues
NNID
MisterVideo
I'm afraid to ask... but what's the mascot principle?
It's some stupid thing that Cliff made that really doesn't exist.
But if you want to know, the "Mascot Principle" says because Mario is the mascot franchise, no other series can go above the number of reps Mario has. Because they aren't the mascot.
So let's say Mario has four reps. Because of this, no one else should go above four, no matter what.

Mind you it's absolute crap with nothing really holding it up and was demolished with Brawl (which he calls a "mistake". It's as rage-inducing and biased as it sounds). But to each their own I guess.

Last edited:

Opossum

Thread Title Changer
BRoomer
NNID
OpossumGuy
3DS FC
4742-4911-3431
Switch FC
SW 2859 6322 5208
It's some stupid thing that Cliff made that really doesn't exist.
But if you want to know, the "Mascot Principle" says because Mario is the mascot franchise, no other series can go above the number of reps Mario has. Because they aren't the mascot.
So let's say Mario has four reps. Because of this, no one else should go above four, no matter what.

Mind you it's absolute crap with nothing really holding it up and was demolished with Brawl (which he calls a "mistake". It's as rage-inducing and biased as it sounds). But to each their own I guess.
This is despite the fact that, even in Brawl, Pokemon and the Legend of Zelda had more characters? That's absurd. And don't give me any of that "transformations don't count" stuff. They do, simple as that. :p

Louie G.

Smash Hero
Here's an idea.
Move Yoshi and Wario right next to the Mario series.
Then everyone who complains about Mario having less than Pokemon can see this illusion and figure that Yoshi and Wario count as the 6th and 7th reps respectively.

Or you know, take into account all of the representation that Mario gets outside of characters.

The "mascot principle" is pretty darn stupid considering it was already broken in Brawl.
And yes, according to Sakurai himself Pokemon Trainer counts as 3 separate characters.

Substitution

Deacon Blues
NNID
MisterVideo
This is despite the fact that, even in Brawl, Pokemon and the Legend of Zelda had more characters? That's absurd. And don't give me any of that "transformations don't count" stuff. They do, simple as that. :p
That's the thing, we've told him that. But all he says is "Well Sakurai messed up. He made a mistake and won't do it again."
And that's what really angers me. You know it's bad when this makes "Cause I said so." reasonable. Because at least that shows an opinion. It shows honestly.

But this, this is not only biased on many degrees, but it's downright insulting. This implies that Sakurai screwed up, he failed, he done goofed, he made a mathematical error, and shouldn't make it again. If that's not arrogance, then I don't know what is.

Last edited:

mahnamahna

Smash Cadet
Here's an idea.
Move Yoshi and Wario right next to the Mario series.
Then everyone who complains about Mario having less than Pokemon can see this illusion and figure that Yoshi and Wario count as the 6th and 7th reps respectively.

Or you know, take into account all of the representation that Mario gets outside of characters.

The "mascot principle" is pretty darn stupid considering it was already broken in Brawl.
And yes, according to Sakurai himself Pokemon Trainer counts as 3 separate characters.
Is it bad I always thought Yoshi and Wario were Mario reps to begin with? :troll:

SmasherMaster

Smash Lord
NNID
TelevisionGamer
Brawl had planned 7 Legend of Zelda characters and 7/8 Pokemon characters (depending on if Pai_Mai is Plusle and Minun) to Mario's 4.

Louie G.

Smash Hero
Brawl had planned 7 Legend of Zelda characters and 7/8 Pokemon characters (depending on if Pai_Mai is Plusle and Minun) to Mario's 4.
Well for the record Dr. Mario was planned at one point...
But good point nonetheless, if all of the Forbidden 7 made it Mario would still have less than both.

Niala

Smash Ace
Tehnically 5, since Dr. Mario was also planned I believe. But that's aside from the point-- reps are just a fanmade idealistic point of view intended to give some level of certainty to predictions.

Louie tho

Last edited:

FlareHabanero

Banned via Warnings
I bet if something more minor like Kid Icarus got more characters then everything else, I bet people here would be going hopping mad because their precious oversaturated franchise isn't hogging the spotlight.

Last edited:

Morbi

Scavenger
Tehnically 5, since Dr. Mario was also planned I believe. But that's aside from the point-- reps are just a fanmade idealistic point of view intended to give some level of certainty to predictions.

Louie tho
Not necessarily; nothing is objective. But do you honestly expect 10 Mario characters in Smash 4? The premise of "representatives" might be a fan-made idealistic perspective; however, it is a logical one. One that illuminates overt constraints and possibilities. To denounce that aspect of speculation would be fallacious in the same way that asserting it as a definitive notion is erroneous.

Gune

Smash Lord
I bet if something more minor like Kid Icarus got more characters then everything else, I bet people here would be going hopping made because their precious oversaturated franchise isn't hogging the spotlight.
If the charecters from KI are more deserving then "our precious oversaturated franchise's" then I could care less.

Niala

Smash Ace
Not necessarily; nothing is objective. But do you honestly expect 10 Mario characters in Smash 4? The premise of "representatives" might be a fan-made idealistic perspective; however, it is a logical one. One that illuminates overt constraints and possibilities. To denounce that aspect of speculation would be fallacious in the same way that asserting it as a definitive notion is erroneous.
That may be true, but it's still just an estimation; an attempted projection based on logic. Before Brawl was released, I doubt many people would have assumed the Super Mario franchise would LOSE a representative. And those who did would have been mocked, because it didn't fit into the idealistic point of view as seen by the community. It's well possible that we could be wrong again. You're correct in saying that it's based on logic, but where we don't know how the roster slots are being chosen, our logic can be faulty, because we can be misreading the situation.

That being said, I agree that dismissing the concept entirely, or at all, is asinine. It indeed does make sense, but we need to embrace the possibility that logical outcomes and reality don't always overlap.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom