• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Character Discussion Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

Bowserlick

Smash Hero
There is no need to give Ganondorf's moveset to Black Shadow or someone else in order for him to obtain new moves.

Clones are nice for padding a roster, but not nice if they clog up potential new ideas and characters by needing to appear in sequels.

I think Ganondorf is going to get a new special or two and perhaps his own Down and Forward Smash.

Last edited:

Morbi

Scavenger
There is no need to give Ganondorf's moveset to Black Shadow or someone else in order for him to obtain new moves.

Clones are nice for padding a roster, but not nice if they clog up potential new ideas and characters by needing to appear in sequels.

I think Ganondorf is going to get a new special or two and perhaps his own Down and Forward Smash.
No one denies that Ganondorf is going to be further diversified, but he isn't necessarily inspired by the Legend of Zelda franchise. People want the character to be reminiscent of their iteration from their respective franchise.

There is no "need" but it is a good way to reboot Ganondorf whilst retaining the move-set that people have become accustomed to. It also enables one of the most important franchises in Smash to receive an additional character, in the same vein as Lucas, I suppose.

Last edited:

Maxilian

Smash Ace

Well Ganondorf got a lot of modifications in SSBB and there are already many people that like to use him, so that would be a way to make happy those that hate the falcondorf that we have right now and those that already play with Falcondorf

Morbi

Scavenger
Well Ganondorf got a lot of modifications in SSBB and there are already many people that like to use him, so that would be a way to make happy those that hate the falcondorf that we have right now and those that already play with Falcondorf
Exactly, it isn't necessarily fair for fans of Legend of Zelda to deal with a glorified F-Zero clone, but at the same time, it wouldn't be fair to give Ganondorf the move-set he deserves as players are now accustomed Falcondorf. Myself included. However, I am also a Legend of Zelda fan, it would be nice to see something reminiscent of Ganondorf in his move-set. It is a catch 22, only outside influence can mitigate this detriment.

MargnetMan23

Smash Lord
So... Roselia confirmed? After all, it's a moderately popular grass type from 3rd gen who could be unique. Totally not implausible.
Glalie's going to be playable, I feel a floating face has a **** LOAD of moveset potential (I actually really like Glalie... If only his stats were better/he got a mega evolution ;-; )

Who knows? Maybe we will. On the subject, why not Torterra? He's the only Pokemon that's both a grass starter and dual typed, like Charizard and Greninja.

I realize it's an entirely silly argument, but it goes to show just how little we can actually predict-- we don't know the method by which they're choosing Pokemon, so we can't be certain one way or another.

That being said, no I don't think we will get 7. Or 6, for that matter.

HSOWA? :love:
Venusaur is grass/poison, HE'S GUARANTEED.
... Actually I don't think we should completely count Venusaur out, I mean if by some chance they don't want to cut Ivysaur, evolving him so he can actually compete with the other two starters in a substantial way would be cool.

Then again, I'm sure someone would be mad that we got all Kanto starters but Blastoise, who would probably be the coolest playable character of the 3 XD

Last edited:

Bowserlick

Smash Hero
Only so much time for characters. I would reboot Ganondorf like what the team did to Bowser and forget about moving the moveset over to Black Shadow. The clone Captain Falcon was a way to pad the roster in Melee. And it exists in Brawl. Characters are dropped in fighting games and new ones are added.

But what I think will happen is:
1. Deadman's volley as B
2. Conjured sword attack for Forward Smash
3. New Down Smash
4. Maybe one new aerial
5. New Up B; perhaps levitation

Morbi

Scavenger
Only so much time for characters. I would reboot Ganondorf like what the team did to Bowser and forget about moving the moveset over to Black Shadow. The clone Captain Falcon was a way to pad the roster in Melee. And it exists in Brawl. Characters are dropped in fighting games and new ones are added.

But what I think will happen is:
1. Deadman's volley as B
2. Conjured sword attack for Forward Smash
3. New Down Smash
4. Maybe one new aerial
5. New Up B; perhaps levitation
Honestly; it doesn't matter to me. I don't mind if Ganondorf is exactly the same as he was in Brawl, I don't mind if they re-clone him, I don't care if they de-clone him, I don't care if give him an overhaul. I will always main Ganondorf.

Arcanir

An old friend evolved
NNID
Shoryu91
3DS FC
4253-4855-5860
While I agree, Sceptile and the Hoenn games have been around for 11-12 years. He isn't a brand new character. Plus Greninja got in despite X and Y coming out essentially a year before this.

If there's DLC, Sceptile would be perfect around November when the remakes are released.

He's not locked, but Hoenn has been lacking a rep for a long time... so this game is likely their best shot
While he's not new, the game that people are using to push for his inclusion is and that game isn't coming out until at least a couples month after Smash's release, which based on previous instances means it may not get any content. Greninja's game was released before the year that Smash will be releasing, so he and his games have more time to be in the spotlight currently then Sceptile will be for the remakes.

On top of that, while I like the character, the main rallying point people are using for him is because of a fan theory that has no indication of really becoming true. Plus, while he likely will be promoted for the game on virtue of being a starter, nothing says he'll be the most notable of that group nor of the Gen 3 Pokémon as a whole, in fact, past trends indicate it'd be more likely to be Blaziken over it. So there's not a lot going for the character to assume that he'd be the pick for Gen 3's rep in Smash.

In short, Morbid summed it up best, people are focusing too much on the Grass type and not looking at the full picture. Sceptile could be a nice character, but you can't overlook the flaws that he has to think he is the most likely Gen 3 rep, much less the most likely candidate for the fifth and sixth Pokemon slot and justifies a seventh (DLC would be nice though).

Last edited:

Bowserlick

Smash Hero
Sakurai freed Charizard from his trainer. He then floated the idea for a Pokemon from X/Y. After the launch Sakurai, with Gamefreak's help, chose Greninja as a popular pokemon. I am sure a lightbulb clicked on in Sakurai's head. Well, we have a fully evolved fire and water starter. I just axed a grass and water starter. Maybe I should ask Gamefreak which fully evolved grass starter do they want playable in Smash. And maybe Gamefreak said," Well ya know, we are planning to remake generation III."

MargnetMan23

Smash Lord
I can't say I disagree with all of your points about Sceptile, but at the very least, I still see Sceptile getting in earlier than blaziken would.

False Sense

Ad Astra Per Aspera
NNID
FalseSense
3DS FC
3368-2599-3209
Sakurai freed Charizard from his trainer. He then floated the idea for a Pokemon from X/Y. After the launch Sakurai, with Gamefreak's help, chose Greninja as a popular pokemon. I am sure a lightbulb clicked on in Sakurai's head. Well, we have a fully evolved fire and water starter. I just axed a grass and water starter. Maybe I should ask Gamefreak which fully evolved grass starter do they want playable in Smash. And maybe Gamefreak said," Well ya know, we are planning to remake generation III."
And then he remembered Mewtwo.

Morbi

Scavenger
It is a possibility, no one denies that. I suppose it is up to whether or not Sakurai wants 7 Pokemon, there is precedence to support that notion. However, he did just cut Squirtle and Ivysaur. It seems counter-intuitive to cut 2 Pokemon, 2 play-styles that people enjoyed to replace them with starter Pokemon that most interpret as "undeserving." Personally, I feel as though it is a good thing, but others don't seem to feel that way (which is immaterial, Sakurai probably doesn't care).

Morbi

Scavenger
Mewtwo is already in. Relax.
Yes, everyone that asserts that they use logic to dictate their perspective knows this. It isn't a question as to whether or not Mewtwo is in. It is a question as to whether or not he would replace Squirtle and Ivysaur for Greninja and Sceptile. Which, in my opinion, seems feasible.

Maxilian

Smash Ace
You annoyed me when you said he was being "promoted."
But i just used the word promoted because you used it, and i used -> "" to make it looks like i was saying (You could say that he is being promoted with the new pokemon even if he haven't been actually promoted yet), in other words... it was a way to say it, not that i actually think that he's being promoted :drfacepalm:

Morbi

Scavenger
But i just used the word promoted because you used it, and i used -> "" to make it looks like i was saying (You could say that he is being promoted with the new pokemon even if he haven't been actually promoted yet), in other words... it was a way to say it, not that i actually think that he's being promoted :drfacepalm:
Well, I apologize, if you comprehend that he wasn't being promoted that is fine, that was what I was attempting to convey. I misconstrued your statement, I thought you were implying that his promotion was evidence in favor of his inclusion.

D

Deleted member

While he's not new, the game that people are using to push for his inclusion is and that game isn't coming out until at least a couples month after Smash's release, which based on previous instances means it may not get any content. Greninja's game was released before the year that Smash will be releasing, so he and his games have more time to be in the spotlight currently then Sceptile will be for the remakes.

On top of that, while I like the character, the main rallying point people are using for him is because of a fan theory that has no indication of really becoming true. Plus, while he likely will be promoted for the game on virtue of being a starter, nothing says he'll be the most notable of that group nor of the Gen 3 Pokémon as a whole, in fact, past trends indicate it'd be more likely to be Blaziken over it. So there's not a lot going for the character to assume that he'd be the pick for Gen 3's rep in Smash.

In short, Morbid summed it up best, people are focusing too much on the Grass type and not looking at the full picture. Sceptile could be a nice character, but you can't overlook the flaws that he has to think he is the most likely Gen 3 rep, much less the most likely candidate for the fifth and sixth Pokemon slot and justifies a seventh (DLC would be nice though).
Thank you for saying this. Exactly how I feel about this situation.

Honestly, I feel as if we are getting any 3rd gen Pokemon, it'd be Blaziken and I have a hard time seeing him happen outside of DLC.

Maxilian

Smash Ace
Well, I apologize, if you comprehend that he wasn't being promoted that is fine, that was what I was attempting to convey. I misconstrued your statement, I thought you were implying that his promotion was evidence in favor of his inclusion.
Well we both got into a debate over nothing :drwtf: well at least everything is clear now :drshrug:

As i said my comment is totally biased :dr-_-: ( I want Ghirahim :drohyou:)

Last edited:

MasterOfKnees

Space Pirate
NNID
KneeMaster
Switch FC
SW-6310-1174-0352
Not exactly sure what Blaziken could bring. We already have the fire, the kicking, and the fire kicking, that's Blaziken's entire trademark ability already being taken. Plus, he was used to advertise X & Y, if they want to advertise Omega Ruby and Alpha Sapphire they'll want to do it with something fresh, like Mega Sceptile.

Last edited:

Morbi

Scavenger
Well we both got into a debate over nothing :drwtf: well at least everything is clear now :drshrug:

As i said that comment is totally biased :dr-_-: ( I want Ghirahim :drohyou:)
Ghirahim would be another great choice; I feel as though the character is highly under-rated. The only real evidence against his inclusion is the notion that he has only made a single appearance; however, the appearance was fairly prominent. He has more going for him, I feel as though he would contribute to Sakurai's criteria. That being said, I feel the same way about Vaati. He would represent so much more.

I will be content with whatever Legend of Zelda representative we get. Classic Ganon > Ghirahim > Vaati > Tingle > Tetra > Kaepora Gaebora...

Last edited:

False Sense

Ad Astra Per Aspera
NNID
FalseSense
3DS FC
3368-2599-3209
Not exactly sure what Blaziken could bring. We already have the fire, the kicking, and the fire kicking, that's Blaziken's entire trademark ability already being taken. Plus, he was used to advertise X & Y, if they want to advertise Omega Ruby and Alpha Sapphire they'll want to do it with something fresh, like Mega Sceptile.
I agree with the part about Blaziken. Most of what he could do is already being done by other fighters; the whole idea of a physical fighter that utilizes fire is already present though Captain Falcon, and the concepts of Fire and Fighting as types is already there through Charizard and Lucario.

In a similar vein, I might also say that what Sceptile could do, being a swift, agile fighter who attacks using elemental blades on his arms, is curiously already done to a degree by Greninja. Now obviously this isn't to the same degree that Blaziken's key attributes are already used by other fighters, but the blades are definitely something associated with Sceptile. It strikes me as odd that they would give something like that to Greninja if they were planning on adding another character who used blades in a similar manner.

Last edited:

Maxilian

Smash Ace
Ghirahim would be another great choice; I feel as though the character is highly under-rated. The only real evidence against his inclusion is the notion that he has only made a single appearance; however, the appearance was fairly prominent. He has more going for him, I feel as though he would contribute to Sakurai's criteria. That being said, I feel the same way about Vaati. He would represent so much more.

I will be content with whatever Legend of Zelda representative we get. Classic Ganon > Ghirahim > Vaati > Tingle > Tetra > Kaepora Gaebora...
Yeah, he also was way more important than Demise in his game, also he became a really liked character in America, Europe and Asia not like Tingle... that's liked only in Asia (yeah yeah, some people like him in America and Europe but he have a bigger hate group than fanbase).:dr-_-:

Last edited:

Morbi

Scavenger
I agree with the part about Blaziken. Most of what he could do is already being done by other fighters; the whole idea of a physical fighter that utilizes fire is already present though Captain Falcon, and the concepts of Fire and Fighting as types is already there through Charizard and Lucario.

In a similar vein, I might also say that what Sceptile could do, being a swift, agile fighter who attacks using elemental blades on his arms, is curiously already done to a degree by Greninja. Now obviously this isn't to the same degree that Blaziken's key attributes are already used by other fighters, but the blades are definitely something associated with Sceptile. It strikes me as odd that they would give something like that to Greninja if they were planning on adding another character who used blades in a similar manner.
Maybe Sceptile is an alternate skin? :troll:

mahnamahna

Smash Cadet
We have the same support list; (good) villains, Smash needs more!
An ideal villain lineup:
  1. Bowser
  2. Petey Piranha
  3. Kamek (as a witch Koopa, she'd be a unique female villain)
  4. Wario
  5. Ganondorf
  6. Ghiralham or Vaati (either one - whichever Sakurai likes more, I would suppose)
  7. King K. Rool
  8. Mewtwo
  9. King Dedede
  10. Ridley
  11. Wolf
  12. Medusa (the epic female villain)
  13. Dr. Eggman or Dr. Wily (a 3rd party villain could be cool)
  14. Master Hand or Tabuu (one of those two would be amazing even though I know neither are going to happen)
  15. Mr. Resetti could count as a villain, technically, although he's more of a jerk

Morbi

Scavenger
An ideal villain lineup:
  1. Bowser
  2. Petey Piranha
  3. Kamek (as a witch Koopa, she'd be a unique female villain)
  4. Wario
  5. Ganondorf
  6. Ghiralham or Vaati (either one - whichever Sakurai likes more, I would suppose)
  7. King K. Rool
  8. Mewtwo
  9. King Dedede
  10. Ridley
  11. Wolf
  12. Medusa (the epic female villain)
  13. Dr. Eggman or Dr. Wily (a 3rd party villain could be cool)
  14. Master Hand or Tabuu (one of those two would be amazing even though I know neither are going to happen)
  15. Mr. Resetti could count as a villain, technically, although he's more of a jerk
Don't get me wrong; Medusa is great, I would love to have her in the game, but my heart lies with Hades.

Niala

Smash Ace
Something I've been meaning to point out about this whole Sceptile debate but instead went to buy Wendy's: Sakurai stated he's not thinking about DLC until after the game's release, iirc. I don't recall him stating, however, which game he was referring to. It's possible that Sceptile could be released along with the WiiU version, adding a DLC update to the 3DS version, thereby releasing him in the winter when the character has been established, promoted, and is more relevant in terms of Nintendo's lineup.

Maxilian

Smash Ace
Maybe Sceptile is an alternate skin? :troll:
That would be weird as **** :drohmy:

But now that you mention alternative skins, i would love to see many alternative skins added to SSB, like Dr Mario as a skin for Mario, one of the many clothes peach/mario/luigi/wario use in any of the games (Mario Kart, Mario Party, Mario Golf, etc...), Yoshi could get something like these:

and Kirby something like these:

Samus can get these:

and so on

Morbi

Scavenger
Something I've been meaning to point out about this whole Sceptile debate but instead went to buy Wendy's: Sakurai stated he's not thinking about DLC until after the game's release, iirc. I don't recall him stating, however, which game he was referring to. It's possible that Sceptile could be released along with the WiiU version, adding a DLC update to the 3DS version, thereby releasing him in the winter when the character has been established, promoted, and is more relevant in terms of Nintendo's lineup.
Again, I feel as though Sceptile would be one of the most ideal DLC characters, it is the first good suggestion. Many people request unknowns for DLC (which probably wouldn't sell, thus they aren't feasible DLC options) or very important characters (which would labor discontent among fans, many want Ridley or K. Rool, but they don't want to be coaxed into purchasing them repeatedly). Sceptile is neither, that is a great thing for a DLC character. And as you stated, his character would be established at that point in time.

Last edited:

Morbi

Scavenger
I like both, but Medusa is:

A) a classic

B) Female, something we are lacking in the roster
I suppose you are correct; although Hades does offer a more universal recognition. I suppose it is negligible as Medusa offers something very similar. She is just not as prominent.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom