• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Character Discussion Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

Maxilian

Smash Ace
3rd gen talk? OH BOY! Well, if we get a 3rd gen rep, I think it will be Sceptile. The only reason I`d doubt it is because Sceptile would move a bit like Greninja, but personally, I wouldn`t mind.
I agree i was thinking the same, but then i saw Ivysour and if you think about it, some of the attacks that Ivysour use can be used by Sceptile (Not all... some)

Gunla

It's my bit, you see.
Administrator
BRoomer
Writing Team
My Two Cents, likely beating the life out of the topic, but I think that the Gen III remakes/reboots/whatever they are could either mean a playable Gen III character or DLC being a Gen III. Leaning towards the latter as it's a case similar to Snake; It would be good advertisement for Game Freak's new game, as Pokemon characters are dictated by different means, but it could just be too late in development to implement a Gen III. Then again, Sakurai knows this stuff far in advance...

So would I assume a Gen III is a shoo-in? No. But, I think it's plausible that a Gen III character could definitely be a DLC character if Newcomers are concerned.

As for who that could be, many say Blaziken or Sceptile. Granted, either can happen, but I lean towards Sceptile as Type Reptition wouldn't be the best sort of way to show off the unique typing of Pokemon as a concept. Pichu broke the rule because it was literally the biggest Gen II Poke at the time. Blaziken could also be too similar to Falcon and less unique in that regard, but much easier to implement.

G0LD3N L0TUS

Smash Lord
NNID
G0LD3N_L0TUS
3DS FC
3007-8158-6601
I agree i was thinking the same, but then i saw Ivysour and if you think about it, some of the attacks that Ivysour use can be used by Sceptile (Not all... some)
I don`t mean cloning. I mean just general movement. Greninja`s a ninja, and Sceptile is a Wood Gecko, so the movement would be a little similar. For a moveset, I would give Sceptile Bullet Seed, Leaf Blade, and I struggle to figure out others. I feel like Aerial Ace could work. I`d like to avoid Solarbeam, too. It just wouldn`t feel right, to me.

thesandman

Smash Cadet
Honestly I would much rather have mewtwo or even jiggs over sceptile. It might be the nostalgia in me but I dont care about this perfect trifecta, i just want the original twelve and mewtwo. Is that to much to ask? Is it?

D

Deleted member

so guys sceptile is a shoo in now

On a serious note, I can understand saying that Sceptile is a bit more likely, but shoe-in seriously wtf
That's what happens when a bandwagon form. People assume that because a game got announced, it makes a character "more likely". Perhaps if the game was announced before E3 2013, people might have a point, but this is several months before Smash gets release. Saying that a 3rd gen rep is a shoe-in or even likely, is insane.

Last edited by a moderator:
D

Deleted member

So, Gen III remakes are actually happening. Nice.

Too bad the Sceptile 4 Smash bandwagon kind of ruins the hype for me.

D

Deleted member

So, Gen III remakes are actually happening. Nice.

Too bad the Sceptile 4 Smash bandwagon kind of ruins the hype for me.
I can understand this feeling. Same reason why the Bayonetta 4 Smash bandwagon kinda soured my hype for Bayonetta 2.

Sebz

Luchador Extraordinaire
That's what happens when a bandwagon form. People assume that because a game got announced, it makes a character "more likely". Perhaps if the game was announced before E3 2013, people might have a point, but this is several months before Smash gets release. Saying that a 3rd gen rep is a shoe-in or even likely, is insane.
There's a difference between jumping into a bandwagon, and reforming your opinions in light of new developments. While you might think that it's too late for a 3rd gen rep to make it in, the same thing happened in the past with Roy who was included prior to the release of his game. Also, Gamefreak alluded to Hoenn remakes within X and Y, so they have probably been planning it for a while. It is not then illogical to believe that Gamefreak could push for a 3rd gen rep. Also, having a new game announced DOES make a character more likely. If a new F-Zero got announced would it not be ok to believe another F-Zero rep would be more likely?

D

Deleted member

There's a difference between jumping into a bandwagon, and reforming your opinions in light of new developments. While you might think that it's too late for a 3rd gen rep to make it in, the same thing happened in the past with Roy who was included prior to the release of his game. Also, Gamefreak alluded to Hoenn remakes within X and Y, so they have probably been planning it for a while. It is not then illogical to believe that Gamefreak could push for a 3rd gen rep. Also, having a new game announced DOES make a character more likely. If a new F-Zero got announced would it not be ok to believe another F-Zero rep would be more likely?
And people assuming a 3rd gen rep is likely, if not inevitable, are primarily the former.

Comparing Roy in Melee to a 3rd gen rep in Smash is flawed. In Melee, Sakurai had time to add more characters, which explained why he was able to fit in Roy. This time, we have no such indication that we're getting last-minute character. Roy was also a clone, a 3rd gen rep would be unique and the latter takes more time to develop.

Considering that OmegaRuby & AlphaSilver will reuse models from X & Y for this game, development time is going to go quicker than X & Y. It is for this reason why it isn't implausible to assume that development on the remakes started right after X & Y. Even if the game was planned as early as the year before X & Y released, the roster for Smash Bros. would have already been decided. Also, a new F-zero game at E3 this year would NOT increase the chance of us getting one; the game would not have been in development by the time the Smash 3DS & Wii U roster was decided.

It's not impossible, but I wouldn't get your hopes up in seeing a 3rd gen Pokémon in the initial roster.

Last edited by a moderator:

False Sense

Ad Astra Per Aspera
NNID
FalseSense
3DS FC
3368-2599-3209
Why are we talking so small?

Also, the best 3rd gen rep would obviously have been Gardevoir. Pity...

D

Deleted member

Also, the best 3rd gen rep would obviously have been Gardevoir. Pity...
I'm disappointed that Deoxys is a Pokéball again. I think Deoxys could have been amazing.At least there's Mewtow to hope for.

Curious Villager

Puzzles...
To kinda give off the impression that I'm talking in a lower tone, like how when people talk in caps they give off the impression that they are yelling.... or is that just me?

Uhum.... anyway....

I'm not really sure with the whole bandwagoning thing, people seem to be jumping from one thing to another when something different comes up. Especially with Pokemon.
However, I won't be too surprised if Gamefreak had some sort of agreement with Sakurai and let him on earlier in regards to their plans beforehand. He has mentioned that they are kinda difficult to work with after all.

So I'm not going to entirely rule out the possibility of us getting a third gen pokemon. I do hope we eventually get to see Mewtwo and Jigglypuff though.

D

Deleted member

My Two Cents, likely beating the life out of the topic, but I think that the Gen III remakes/reboots/whatever they are could either mean a playable Gen III character or DLC being a Gen III. Leaning towards the latter as it's a case similar to Snake; It would be good advertisement for Game Freak's new game, as Pokemon characters are dictated by different means, but it could just be too late in development to implement a Gen III. Then again, Sakurai knows this stuff far in advance...

So would I assume a Gen III is a shoo-in? No. But, I think it's plausible that a Gen III character could definitely be a DLC character if Newcomers are concerned.

As for who that could be, many say Blaziken or Sceptile. Granted, either can happen, but I lean towards Sceptile as Type Reptition wouldn't be the best sort of way to show off the unique typing of Pokemon as a concept. Pichu broke the rule because it was literally the biggest Gen II Poke at the time. Blaziken could also be too similar to Falcon and less unique in that regard, but much easier to implement.
If DLC characters are a thing, I could actually see this happen. It's realistically the only way I see us getting a 3rd gen Pokémon in Smash at this point.

Louie G.

Smash Hero
Since a Hoenn remake has been hinted forever, I wouldn't be surprised if Sakurai knew about it in advance, possibly even during the early development of Smash Bros 4.
I mean, I don't know how likely a 3rd gen Poke is, but it's very possible.

Gune

Smash Lord
I personally don't see a gen 3 pokemon likely but I didn't see a starter without a trainer likely either then charizard and greninja popped in. Also it is confirmed that swampert and sceptile will be getting Megas so that is pretty exciting.

Gunla

It's my bit, you see.
Administrator
BRoomer
Writing Team
If DLC characters are a thing, I could actually see this happen. It's realistically the only way I see us getting a 3rd gen Pokémon in Smash at this point.
See, most people are assuming that all DLC will be cut characters because Sakurai's mentality.
DLC has to be judged like yet another character, newcomer or vet. It could have been planned later on, but maybe axed out of the final product, or left on disc as unfinished. Personally, I see it being DLC because it's coming out after the 3DS version but JUST before the Wii U version is to release. I feel like they might announce it around that time as the game will likely be in Gold Phase around then, meaning that they don't need to have the demand of it being finished at launch.

Pokemon usually gets 2 new characters at the least each game, so having one as DLC would be a similar result when another veteran is there at launch like Jiggs or Mewtwo.

Last edited:

Opossum

Thread Title Changer
BRoomer
NNID
OpossumGuy
3DS FC
4742-4911-3431
Switch FC
SW 2859 6322 5208
I personally don't see a gen 3 pokemon likely but I didn't see a starter without a trainer likely either then charizard and greninja popped in. Also it is confirmed that swampert and sceptile will be getting Megas so that is pretty exciting.
Source?

Will

apustaja
Switch FC
SW-7573-2962-2407
Well,I saw the Sceptile prediction with OR and AS,but it comes out in November.

The first release comes out in the Summer,For the remakes,that's the last month of Autumn.

Last edited:

Autumn ♫

I'm terrible with these Custom Titles.
Sakurai probably knew about the Gen 3 remake around the same time as Pokemon X and Y, so I don't think it releasing in November would mean too much. However, Sceptile, or any Gen 3 Pokemon for that matter, is far from being a shoo-in.

D

Deleted member

See, most people are assuming that all DLC will be cut characters because Sakurai's mentality.
DLC has to be judged like yet another character, newcomer or vet. It could have been planned later on, but maybe axed out of the final product, or left on disc as unfinished. Personally, I see it being DLC because it's coming out after the 3DS version but JUST before the Wii U version is to release. I feel like they might announce it around that time as the game will likely be in Gold Phase around then, meaning that they don't need to have the demand of it being finished at launch.

Pokemon usually gets 2 new characters at the least each game, so having one as DLC would be a similar result when another veteran is there at launch like Jiggs or Mewtwo.
To be fair, I mostly expect just cut Brawl veterans (and to an extent, Roy if he is planned) to return as DLC. It makes sense; Sakurai hates cuts and he wants to avoid them as much as possible. It's why I could see Squirtle and Ivysaur return as DLC if they're cut due to technical issues and it'd be a way for Sakurai to bring back characters that had to be let go of the initial roster. However, if there is going to be an exception, I could see a 3rd gen Pokémon newcomer being that for the reason you gave. So it could be that if the Pokémon Company wants a 3rd gen rep and DLC characters are a thing, they could push for a 3rd gen Pokémon to be one of the DLCs made.

Actually, I do have a theory I want to share in regards to DLC. I'll type it out eventually.

Will

apustaja
Switch FC
SW-7573-2962-2407
I'm not really sure with the whole bandwagoning thing, people seem to be jumping from one thing to another when something different comes up. Especially with Pokemon.

Bandwagon? Are people really telling people everyone is rooting for Sceptile?

I hate society now.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom