• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Character Discussion Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
D

Deleted member

No unlockable characters would be disappointing to say the least.
Lots of nostalgia centers around the Challenger Approaching screen.
Heck, my friends and I went ballistic the other week when we finally saw the Mewtwo screen in Melee.

Also, somewhat off topic, I would love to see Meta Knight before the competition.
It would have a funny sense of irony to it, having Meta Knight playable for the first Smash Bros 4 competition.
Well, a compromise could be made in which two options exist; one is to play the game as normal and another is to have all characters available from the start; keeping both sides satisfied.

Also keep in mind that Sal Romano is likely going to leak whatever is left anyway (assuming he's legitimate), so we're likely going to learn about all the newcomers before the release. It takes away from the surprise of what the Challenger Approach is supposed to be. Remember, Sakurai is the same person who decided on no SSE partly because of the cutscenes being leaked, so who's to say that unlockable characters will be mandatory this time around?

Last edited by a moderator:

False Sense

Ad Astra Per Aspera
NNID
FalseSense
3DS FC
3368-2599-3209
Well, a compromise could be made in which two options exist; one is to play the game as normal and another is to have all characters available from the start; keeping both sides satisfied.

Also keep in mind that Sal Romano is likely going to leak whatever is left anyway (assuming he's legitimate), so we're likely going to learn about all the newcomers before the release. It takes away from the surprise of what the Challenger Approach is supposed to be. Remember, Sakurai is the same person who decided on no SSE partly because of the cutscenes being leaked, so who's to say that unlockable characters will be mandatory this time around?
Actually, even if the leak is legitimate, we won't know that for sure until the game comes out, most likely. So there will still be the surprise of finding out whether or not the leak is legitimate or if it was a pack of lies the whole time.

Also, the leak doesn't have an impact on whether or not there will be unlockables, you know.

Rockaphin

Smash Champion
NNID
Rockaphin
3DS FC
2595-0113-8473
Well, idk its not looking good for you, squirtle and ivy by themselves really arent that important but they have unique movesets so idk if they will make it or not (dlc maybe?) but since PT is gone Id say they are gone as well, I suggest you play Pm.

P.s. For all we know Pokemon Trainer isnt even disconfirmed at this point technically...
I'm not big on PM honestly, and the Pokémon Trainer isn't playable. Eh, I could argue that Squirtle is more important than Jigglypuff. But yes, I doubt Squirtle or Ivysaur will return. . . Sadly.

Just from your personality you seem like you'll be using Villager or an unrevealed newcomer this time around.
Yeah, I've wanted Villager Pre-Brawl so seeing him is exciting for me. As of now, Villager, Solo-Zard, Greninja, Rosalina, and new Bowser spark my interest. But yeah, I'm looking forward to the next newcomers. I'm pretty content as of now.

Last edited:

Croph

Hold Baroque Inside
NNID
IceCreamStar
3DS FC
3196-4596-5388
It would be awesome if Ness or Lucas is revealed on Mother's Day (err, well, it would have to be on the 9th or 12th as Mother's Day falls on the second Sunday).

*sigh* I doubt it will happen... Sakurai doesn't like to have fun. :glare: jk jk :laugh:

Knight Dude

Keeping it going.
NNID
Kaine-Rodgers
3DS FC
0232-7749-6030
I wonder if we'll get to see Ganondorf, Wario or Falco soon. I'm interested in their changes. Though I imagine that Ganon isn't going to be shown for a while. Which kind of sucks since he's at the top of my list for returning characters.

Daniee

Smash Cadet
Here's all what I think regarding unlockable characters:
  • There will be unlockable characters. This is something I think Sakurai views as a series tradition, despite the high probability for people getting spoiled. I predict around 16 (Melee has 11, Brawl has 14).
  • Sonic will be locked again along with all other third party characters.
  • Luigi will be locked still. Sakurai's Miiverse post introducing him kinda suggested that he's a secret character again but they're making an exception for him 'cause of the Year of Luigi. But he'll be one of the first characters you unlock again.
  • Toon Link may be locked again, also making an exception for him 'cause of WWHD. But he won't be one of the last characters you unlock like in Brawl.
  • Marth and Lucario are starting characters now. There's no other reason to reveal them this early, and it makes sense when you consider the other likely characters in their respective series (Jigglypuff and Mewtwo will be the secret Pokémon characters, FE will have Marth and Ike as starting and Chrom as unlockable).

FlareHabanero

Banned via Warnings
It would be awesome if Ness or Lucas is revealed on Mother's Day (err, well, it would have to be on the 9th or 12th as Mother's Day falls on the second Sunday).

*sigh* I doubt it will happen... Sakurai doesn't like to have fun. :glare: jk jk :laugh:
Let's see if those characters will get adjustmensts too.

Ness is another character I liked, so seeing adjustments wouldn't hurt.

Godzillathewonderdog

Smash Master
I kind of get the feeling that Sakurai is going to reveal all of the cloney characters at once, showing off how they've all changed. I think this because we haven't seen any clones, minus Toon Link who Sakurai said thinks should be a clone, also the fact that they've been changing a lot of characters moves.

D

Deleted member

Y'all might not be fond of Shadow....

...but you can't say this doesn't look sick. Shame it's not for official Project M....

Croph

Hold Baroque Inside
NNID
IceCreamStar
3DS FC
3196-4596-5388
Let's see if those characters will get adjustmensts too.

Ness is another character I liked, so seeing adjustments wouldn't hurt.
Do you have any particular adjustments you'd like to see for Ness? Uhh, I don't really remember the changes Ness has in Project M. I know PK Flash has some tweaks (has more speed + distance, etc.)... I think I like the PK Flash changes a lot better.

Oh and this needs to be an alt costume for Ness:

Adorable! :3

Xzsmmc

Smash Champion
Do you have any particular adjustments you'd like to see for Ness? Uhh, I don't really remember the changes Ness has in Project M. I know PK Flash has some tweaks (has more speed + distance, etc.)... I think I like the PK Flash changes a lot better.

Oh and this needs to be an alt costume for Ness:

Adorable! :3
Though the Japanese version of that alt would probably stir up some controversy over here.

Louie G.

Smash Hero
Do you have any particular adjustments you'd like to see for Ness?
I don't know how much changing Ness needs, although I would like a Final Smash change (PK Rockin') and a few buffs here and there. I like his moveset and the way he plays.
Change Lucas though, Mother has a bunch of attacks and Lucas doesn't have to be tied to the same exact ones that Ness has.

Louie G.

Smash Hero
I think there are better options for representing Awakening, that's all.
Cough cough, Robin.

I personally don't care about Fire Emblem representation right now. I like Chrom and feel like he's the best option, but I certainly wouldn't complain about Robin or Anna.

Rockaphin

Smash Champion
NNID
Rockaphin
3DS FC
2595-0113-8473
So let me get this straight,
Chrom is the FE Lord in Awakening and Robin/Avatar is the playable character correct?
Ouch, that's a tough one to pick. Personally, I usually always go for the one that's playable. I hate FE discussions anyway.

FlareHabanero

Banned via Warnings
If Chrom is the best option, then wow the selections must be abysmally atrocious.

Then again they're leaving out Ridley and are persistent with keeping ****ty Toon Link, so it wouldn't surprise me.

Cobalsh

Smash Champion
3DS FC
2578-3430-9913
If Chrom is the best option, then wow the selections must be abysmally atrocious.

Then again they're leaving out Ridley and are persistent with keeping ****ty Toon Link, so it wouldn't surprise me.
Someone's bitter,

D

Deleted member

Why all the Chrom hate? He represents ****ing Awakening!
As if that is suppose to excite me?

I don't care about "representing" the most recent game. I do care about good additions and if Chrom is just a semi-clone of Marth and/or Ike, then what's the point? Especially when this game has more strongly emphasized uniqueness this game than before.

MAGMIS

Smash Journeyman
As if that is suppose to excite me?

I don't care about "representing" the most recent game. I do care about good additions and if Chrom is just a semi-clone of Marth and/or Ike, then what's the point? Especially when this game has more strongly emphasized uniqueness this game than before.
Hopefully that's how Sakurai feels as well overall about this game.

<3

Here's all what I think regarding unlockable characters:
  • There will be unlockable characters. This is something I think Sakurai views as a series tradition, despite the high probability for people getting spoiled. I predict around 16 (Melee has 11, Brawl has 14).
  • Sonic will be locked again along with all other third party characters.
  • Luigi will be locked still. Sakurai's Miiverse post introducing him kinda suggested that he's a secret character again but they're making an exception for him 'cause of the Year of Luigi. But he'll be one of the first characters you unlock again.
  • Toon Link may be locked again, also making an exception for him 'cause of WWHD. But he won't be one of the last characters you unlock like in Brawl.
  • Marth and Lucario are starting characters now. There's no other reason to reveal them this early, and it makes sense when you consider the other likely characters in their respective series (Jigglypuff and Mewtwo will be the secret Pokémon characters, FE will have Marth and Ike as starting and Chrom as unlockable).
Brawl had 16 iirc? and melee had 14.

OMG srry for double posting DAMMIT!!

GunGunW

Smash Lord
NNID
GunGunW
Hopefully that's how Sakurai feels as well overall about this game.

<3
That's pretty much how I feel as well, I haven't played Awakening, but just in appearance Chrom looks very similar to Marth. I would prefer to see some variety, such as maybe someone who's not a main character or a villain, or someone who wields an ax. I also think they could take the opportunity with the DLC which brought back a bunch of old characters and choose one of them.

ElPanandero

Smash Lord
NNID
ElPanandero
I think it's possible to make Chrom unique, just difficult and they probably wouldn't do it given their history. I still vote for a magic weilding villain, give non FE players a look at the other 99% of the game that isn't sword wielding lords

Cobalsh

Smash Champion
3DS FC
2578-3430-9913
I think it's possible to make Chrom unique, just difficult and they probably wouldn't do it given their history. I still vote for a magic weilding villain, give non FE players a look at the other 99% of the game that isn't sword wielding lords
The idea of Ashnard on his dragon always excited me.

Diddy Kong

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-1597-979602774
I hate the adds on this site. Especially the one where the woman is talking about 'chest curls' HOW THE **** CAN ONE DO A CURLING MOTION EXCERCISE FROM THEIR CHEST?

Also, Ike is cool. Chrom is not. Roy's sword can shoot fire, and that is kinda hot.

D

Deleted member

One possibility for Chrom is that they could allow him to use weapons from different class (Chrom can do this in Awakening IIRC). He could also use weapons that Marth himself doesn't use as well as use a B move for his lance.

But if we're going by who'd be the most unique, I say Leaf because his Master Knight class allows him access to practically every weapon in FE4 as well as magic. Roy might also be able to work with an unique move set if we use moves specifically in FE6 as well as emphasizing the fire properties in Roy.

Zzuxon

Smash Champion
NNID
zzuxon
3DS FC
3695-0453-0481
If Chrom/Lucina/Both aren't included due to lack of uniqueness, my next choice is Robin.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom