• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Character Discussion Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

Morbi

Scavenger
In 64 she is the second-heaviest, in Melee she is the third-heaviest, and in Brawl she drops down to the seventh-heaviest.
Odd; I always feel as though I expect "heavy-weight" characters to not only be heavy, but to hit hard. I didn't even realize that Samus or Yoshi were heavy-weight characters. I suppose I realize now, but I wasn't aware until I actually thought about it.

Apparently Samus has a really low falling speed; so that could also be a reason that I didn't notice.

Last edited:

Rockaphin

Smash Champion
NNID
Rockaphin
3DS FC
2595-0113-8473
Could anyone explain why Yoshi is a heavy weight? He's always considered either a light-medium weight or the same as Mario.

Andinus

Smash Journeyman
NNID
kyonyuudaisuki
In 64 she is the second-heaviest, in Melee she is the third-heaviest, and in Brawl she drops down to the seventh-heaviest.
I mostly play brawl so, that makes sense.

Odd; I always feel as though I expect "heavy-weight" characters to not only be heavy, but to hit hard. I didn't even realize that Samus or Yoshi were heavy-weight characters. I suppose I realize now, but I wasn't aware until I actually thought about it.
I've always felt that really heavy and slow characters, particularly Boswer, should be even heavier. But it looks like he may have gained some agility in the up coming version so it may not matter as much.

Oops.. Double post, sorry.

Last edited by a moderator:

AEMehr

Mii Fighter
Replace muddy and Mona with Ridley and snake and it becomes a perfect 10.
I think Ridley will be a playable boss character for a mode on the Wii U. I'd be fine with him being normally playable, but it would make sense for Sakurai using him to hype up a new gamemode for five players.

I'd like Snake to return, but I'm just not certain where he stands at this point. He'd be welcome to return if he does, so I'd probably replace Mona with him if he does show up.
I'd only remove Muddy Mole, Chorus Kids, and Mona, those predictions are just silly.
Muddy Mole sounds a whole lot more interesting than any other retro character imo, the ability to dig through the ground sounds pretty promising.
I said I was using Romano's information, so I'm sticking with each character in it. Besides, a Rhythm Heaven character would be totally welcomed (and I'd remove chrom before them since they can be unique and interesting).
I'm keeping Mona for the reason I mentioned earlier so nope.

-and saying something is "silly" isn't really that good of a reason if you have nothing to explain why it's silly in the first place.

Andinus

Smash Journeyman
NNID
kyonyuudaisuki
What's even weirder is that in Brawl, the lightest character is also the slowest (Jigglypuff).
Yeah, but jiggs spends most of her time in the air, or on the ground but rolling towards you at the speed of light.

Dark Phazon

Smash Hero
I made a roster thing again., but with a twist.
52 CHARACTERS!1

before you mention mona, she's supposed to be embody another Mario Universe character
I chose Mona specifically because I think Wario will be reworked to be more based on Wario Land rather than Ware. With a character from WarioWare, it allows both franchises to be equally represented through separate characters allowing both characters to derive from separate franchises to avoid hindering one in favor of the other (like in Brawl).
That and I believe the Wario Land / Ware franchises can suffice having another character. Dixie Kong could be there too I guess but between the two, I think Mona could be the more interesting one. My only fear is that she could become a cheap knockoff of Game & Watch like Wario was in Brawl.

Other than that, I pretty much followed the basics (3rd DK character / New Retro / Mewtwo / etc.) with the Pre3 and PreDirect leaks.
I'd probably place the random button underneath the last row, but stretch it out so it wouldn't look so weird.
EXCUSE ME HER NAME IS PINK GOLD PEACH JEEZ
really though I'm mad about that, I actually wanted Nabbit. I guessed Baby Rosalina right though, the fan fictions have become TRUE.
The roster is disgusting i predicted baby Rosalina thats how bad it is hell im still waiting for this guy
Dry metal baby waluigi
drybabymetalwawaluigijr.png

Last edited:

Kenith

Overkill Sarcasm
The Fabulous Friendly Super Sparkle Train
NNID
RipoffmanXKTG
3DS FC
4210-4224-9442
I find it frustrating that any time there is a prediction (or want) roster posted here that has a choice that isn't unanimously agreed to be a guarantee, they are told they should be cut and replaced by either someone who is considered more likely, or nothing at all.

And then their character selections look exactly the same as everyone elses. Why does this forum have such a pessimistic hivemind in that regard? I don't understand it.

Last edited:

Morbi

Scavenger
I find it frsutrating that any time there is a prediction (or want) roster posted here that has a choice that isn't unanimously agreed to be a guarantee, they are told they should be cut and replaced by either someone who is considered more likely, or nothing at all.

And then their character selections look exactly the same as everyone elses. Why does this forum have such a pessimistic hivemind in that regard? I don't understand it.
I suppose most people are trying to predict Sakurai; so it is easier to just list the top character choices. I mean; there is a lot of logic for characters like Black Shadow or Waddle Dee, but they are shut out because no one believes Sakurai would actually implement them. I agree though, that is why I don't really rate rosters. The only "advice" you can give to someone would include the popular opinion.

Kenith

Overkill Sarcasm
NNID
RipoffmanXKTG
3DS FC
4210-4224-9442
I suppose most people are trying to predict Sakurai; so it is easier to just list the top character choices. I mean; there is a lot of logic for characters like Black Shadow or Waddle Dee, but they are shut out because no one believes Sakurai would actually implement them. I agree though, that is why I don't really rate rosters. The only "advice" you can give to someone would include the popular opinion.
I just like to let people believe what they want when it comes to rosters at this point.

When I posted my wish roster a few days ago, I had one person suggest to remove basically every character that I chose personally, and replace them with nothing, and then he'd be happy.
And I was just like, "well, too bad."

I am very optimistic for this game and I aint lettin' nobody bring me down, because even if I'm wrong, I'll still play the game. It'll still one of the best experiences I've ever had, likely.

Dark Phazon

Smash Hero
I find it frsutrating that any time there is a prediction (or want) roster posted here that has a choice that isn't unanimously agreed to be a guarantee, they are told they should be cut and replaced by either someone who is considered more likely, or nothing at all.

Its because we are all impatient, hungry, bored creatures who have nothing to go off on atm.

So
1388135904156.jpg

Bowserlick

Smash Hero
So we have several reptiles, an amphibian, many mammal (playable) characters in this edition of Smash.
No plants or fungi.
No fish.
Might have a bird if Falco will come back.
No insects.

Last edited:

BluePikmin11

Akko is my dear daughter!
NNID
blue
I just like to let people believe what they want when it comes to rosters at this point.

When I posted my wish roster a few days ago, I had one person suggest to remove basically every character that I chose personally, and replace them with nothing, and then he'd be happy.

I am very optimistic for this game and I aint lettin' nobody bring me down, because even if I'm wrong, I'll still play the game. It'll still one of the best experiences I've ever had, likely.
Safe expectations for the roster feel boring to me now.

Has Sakurai ever mentioned Muddy before? I feel like he did...
He did once, but it was a long lost quote that he'll considered him and that he's pretty cool too.

Morbi

Scavenger
So we have several reptiles, an amphibian, many mammal (playable) characters in this edition of Smash.
No plants or fungi.
No fish.
No insects.
I don't see your point, do you have a fish character in mind? Or an insect?

Yes; I remember being told that my wish roster had to adhere to certain qualities. They stated that I couldn't cut Mario for Dr. Mario in my dream roster... haha.

Kenith

Overkill Sarcasm
NNID
RipoffmanXKTG
3DS FC
4210-4224-9442
No plants or fungi.
No fish.
No insects.
I have a solution to all of those.

Pokemon Trainer. Playable. Using Pokemon Summons.

Plants? Oddish.
Fungi and insects? Parasect, two birds with one stone.
Speaking of birds, Jesus Bird as Up special.
And Magikarp as Final Smash.

Last edited:

Dark Phazon

Smash Hero
I don't see your point, do you have a fish character in mind? Or an insect?

Yes; I remember being told that my wish roster had to adhere to certain qualities. They stated that I couldn't cut Mario for Dr. Mario in my dream roster... haha.
People still bossing people about in there dreams!
WaT?
Thats what dreams are for! Be whatever you want dont have to make sense.

Thats horrible this is my dream
downloadfile-9.png

Last edited:

Morbi

Scavenger
Speaking of bossing around...

Ridley

Anyone other than Ariand/AEM considering the possibility of a playable boss mode?

If so, who do you think would be included in that fashion?
A playable boss mode would be fun; don't get me wrong. But developing and programming a move-set for those characters seems like a waste, might as well make them playable. I expect something greater for the Wii U.

Kenith

Overkill Sarcasm
NNID
RipoffmanXKTG
3DS FC
4210-4224-9442
A playable boss mode would be fun; don't get me wrong. But developing and programming a move-set for those characters seems like a waste, might as well make them playable. I expect something greater for the Wii U.
I agree; and personally, the only character that's even slightly worthy of that role is Ridley anyway. No one wants to play as the Yellow Devil, really.

And one player using the Gamepad to control the boss would be extremely unfair, honestly.

Morbi

Scavenger
It would make great use for the Wii U Gamepad. :troll:
You say that with a troll face; but the sad, sad, and very unfortunate truth is that it might be the case. You know Nintendo. I almost forgot about the Gamepad; surely they will force some unwarranted gimmick onto Smash with that horrible device!

egaddmario

Smash Champion
NNID
egaddmario
3DS FC
0946-2409-3627
If Star Fox gets cuts because the series is "dead" then bye bye Lucas.
I'd argue there's a huge difference between a series being "dead" and a series being over. Mother is over- Itoi said he has no plans to continue the series and liked the ending. Miyamoto never said Star Fox was over, just dormant- i.e. dead.

Morbi

Scavenger
I'd argue there's a huge difference between a series being "dead" and a series being over. Mother is over- Itoi said he has no plans to continue the series and liked the ending. Miyamoto never said Star Fox was over, just dormant- i.e. dead.
Precisely; Starfox isn't dead, it is dormant. That being said, it is entirely irrelevant to Smash. The characters already made it into the game, people are just discerning arbitrary correlations between a franchise's life (along with the subjective aspect of "worthiness") and Smash. F-Zero thoroughly refutes this notion, even with one character. Thus the notion that Starfox is "dead" and therefore it doesn't "deserve" to retain two veterans, each hosting a plethora of merits, is fallacious.

Kenith

Overkill Sarcasm
NNID
RipoffmanXKTG
3DS FC
4210-4224-9442
Which, in my opinion, is even more incentive to retain Lucas and Ness, as they now have a sort of "historical" importance.

DraginHikari

Emerald Star Legacy
NNID
Draginhikari
3DS FC
4940-5455-2427
Switch FC
SW-7120-1891-0342
Sometimes I wonder if nintendo ignores Star Fox because they aren't interested in it, or if it simply more that they don't know what the heck to do with it.

Morbi

Scavenger
Which, in my opinion, is even more incentive to retain Lucas and Ness, as they now have a sort of "historical" importance.
Which is the same reason many advocate for Game and Watch or R.O.B to also be included in upcoming titles. Their time may be over, but it has nothing to do with their chances in Smash. In a Smash context, they are veterans first, and "dead" or "finished" series characters second.

D

Deleted member

Sometimes I wonder if nintendo ignores Star Fox because they aren't interested in it, or if it simply more that they don't know what the heck to do with it.
From what I'm trying to see...Miyamoto has no idea what to do with it. (Which is bad considering that they would rather work on the next game internally instead of outsourcing it but thats for another topic)

Morbi

Scavenger
I'll be right back, going to make four different rosters of varying sizes.

45, 48, 50, 54.

Is that a good set?
I suppose; the 45 would be the minimalist approach and the 54 would be the excessive approach. I feel as though the 48 and 50 rosters wouldn't have that much variation though, you should probably only do 3. That is just my opinion though.

Last edited:

DraginHikari

Emerald Star Legacy
NNID
Draginhikari
3DS FC
4940-5455-2427
Switch FC
SW-7120-1891-0342
From what I'm trying to see...Miyamoto has no idea what to do with it. (Which is bad considering that they would rather work on the next game internally instead of outsourcing it but thats for another topic)
That definitely does seem to be the case and it's understandable. The original on-rail shooter that Star Fox was doesn't really work well as a stand alone game in this day and age unless it's much cheaper in price or drastically drawn out which is not a good genre to do that in. Any attempt to reinvent or expand the series beyond it's roots has been met with mixed or poor reception in general.

Morbi

Scavenger
That definitely does seem to be the case and it's understandable. The original on-rail shooter that Star Fox was doesn't really work well as a stand alone game in this day and age unless it's much cheaper in price or drastically drawn out which is not a good genre to do that in. Any attempt to reinvent or expand the series beyond it's roots has been met with mixed or poor reception in general.
I honestly wouldn't mind an on-the-rails shooter akin to Starfox 64; I don't necessarily believe that I am in the minority. However, I see what you are saying, it could work on the 3ds though.

Kenith

Overkill Sarcasm
NNID
RipoffmanXKTG
3DS FC
4210-4224-9442
I suppose; the 45 would be the minimalist approach and the 54 would be the excessive approach. I feel as though the 48 and 50 rosters wouldn't have that much variation though, you should probably only do 3. That is just my opinion though.
46, 50, 54? Is that better? This is an experiment.

Andinus

Smash Journeyman
NNID
kyonyuudaisuki

As for me I'm a pessimist, when it comes to roster size, but I'm glad to hear you say you will still play the game even if it doesn't live up to everything you dream it will be. I really hate people saying things like "if so and so is not in the game, or if so and so is cut, I'm not getting it". "Like, come on! Are you even a smash fan?" is what I wanna say. "You think this game is being specially made for you?"

It's just silly. There are so many factors that go into making a game like this, you cannot expect all your ideas and dreams will be reality, and then back it up with ultimatums like"if its not this or that, I'm not getting it". And all I wanna say is, "if that's how you really feel then get off the smashboards, cuz clearly you must think there is nothing special going on with this game, so why are you here?"

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom