• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Character Discussion Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

ultimatekoopa

Smash Ace
Might as well post this prediction roster before I leave this thread now:

I feel in my gut that I'll probably not change this unless a piece of news pops up.
No jiggs? Giant face? And what is prince sable doing there? If his main atribute was to transform then I don't see how he can work now

Rockaphin

Smash Champion
NNID
Rockaphin
3DS FC
2595-0113-8473

I feel in my gut that I'll probably not change this unless a piece of news pops up.
Very unique and different choices you have there. However I have to disagree with Prince Sable and Dr. Kawashima as I find them highly unlikely.

Gunla

It's my bit, you see.
Administrator
BRoomer
Writing Team
Alright, I think that's enough of that.
Steering into the NSFW territory, guys... and off topic on that matter.

As for @ BluePikmin11 BluePikmin11 and his roster:
I'd like to ask your reasoning for Sable. I know you do it "just because", but I'd like a valid reason seeing how his main gimmick potentially is DCed. As for Kawashima, it's up to you.

Last edited:

Will

apustaja
Switch FC
SW-7573-2962-2407
I can't imagine anything more sexier that ZSW-

WARIO DRESSED AS WFT :troll: The sexiness and irony flow like wet napkins crying.

Louie G.

Smash Hero

I shouldn't even bother...
But I will anyway.

I'll just go by saying this. You should start calling your rosters "dream rosters" rather than prediction rosters.
I would replace Dixie with K. Rool, honestly. Either way though, DK is getting a newcomer.
Prince Sable is dead. Transforming is his big gimmick, and it is no more.
Kawashima I'm going to ignore.
But it's getting better I guess.

Sabrewulf238

Smash Hero
Wario Fit Trainer and Waluigi Fit Trainer.
Working out.
Stretching those muscles.
At the Carwash.
Splashing water all over their bodies.
Nightmares.
You're welcome.

Will

apustaja
Switch FC
SW-7573-2962-2407
You know you like it,BigAxle

What? We're talking about characters and their alternate costumes,it's on topic technically.

Opossum

Thread Title Changer
BRoomer
NNID
OpossumGuy
3DS FC
4742-4911-3431
Switch FC
SW 2859 6322 5208
Yeah...Sable's just not happening this time around. The only thing about him worth adding was deconfirmed.

And I'd definitely reinclude Jigglypuff, Ike, and possibly Snake (neutral on his chances), and swap Dixie for K. Rool (he's got more going for him).

BluePikmin11

Akko is my dear daughter!
NNID
blue
You guys realize you can just make transformations as part of his attacks right?

As for @ BluePikmin11 BluePikmin11 and his roster:
I'd like to ask your reasoning for Sable. I know you do it "just because", but I'd like a valid reason seeing how his main gimmick potentially is DCed. As for Kawashima, it's up to you.
I have my reasons you know, him being the possible second retro after Takamaru, and the franchise having lots of potential in terms of revival.

You all must be new.

Blue is in denial,nothing can stop him.
I have a perfectly clear mind and I'm not in denial, thank you very much. :V
Yeah...Sable's just not happening this time around. The only thing about him worth adding was deconfirmed.

And I'd definitely reinclude Jigglypuff, Ike, and possibly Snake (neutral on his chances), and swap Dixie for K. Rool (he's got more going for him).
There's still the unique counter attack he has that's commonly part of the FtFtBT's gameplay?
He still have plenty of things in his disposal.

Last edited:

Gunla

It's my bit, you see.
Administrator
BRoomer
Writing Team
There's still the unique counter attack he has that's commonly part of the FtFtBT's gameplay?
Counter Attacks are already owned by many characters. With many variants. Little Mac, Greninja, Lucario, Marth, among others. So a counter in general isn't a superbly unique tool.
Elaborate on these tools that are unique and stand out from the current cast, as I'm not seeing it.

Kenith

Overkill Sarcasm
The Fabulous Friendly Super Sparkle Train
NNID
RipoffmanXKTG
3DS FC
4210-4224-9442
Counters as a general concept is a very basic concept in fighting games; Lucario, Marth, Ike, Pit (formerly) Greninja, Little Mac, Mario, Peach, even Rosalina has a move that functions as a sort of counter to something.

Unless it has a unique function, like Rosalina's Gravitational Pull that deflects projectiles and pulls in items, it won't be seen as a unique ability.

Same with a chargable attack/projectile (Marth, Lucario, Mewtwo, Link, Samus, Donkey Kong, many, many more) or a dash (Ike, Lucario, Sonic)

Last edited:

False Sense

Ad Astra Per Aspera
NNID
FalseSense
3DS FC
3368-2599-3209
You guys realize you can just make transformations as part of his attacks right?

Transforming for individual attacks? That sounds remarkably annoying to develop.

And what's unique about a counter attack? We've seen plenty of those.

MagnesD3

Smash Master
I think Ridley will be a playable boss character for a mode on the Wii U. I'd be fine with him being normally playable, but it would make sense for Sakurai using him to hype up a new gamemode for five players.

I'd like Snake to return, but I'm just not certain where he stands at this point. He'd be welcome to return if he does, so I'd probably replace Mona with him if he does show up.
I think ridley will either be a stage hazard or playable, the playable boss character sounds like to much work for something that wouldnt be played alot I highly doubt that is the case.

ultimatekoopa

Smash Ace

I have my reasons you know, him being the possible second retro after Takamaru, and the franchise having lots of potential in terms of revival.

I have a perfectly clear mind and I'm not in denial, thank you very much. :V

I highly doubt transforming in the middle of the battle as parts of his attack considering that the reason they cut transformatons was because they were hard to develop

FlareHabanero

Banned via Warnings
A counter attack isn't anything special, though mechanics that center around giving a character versatile options with dodging, blocking, and countering is always an option. Basically, not a move, but an entire playstyle revolved around that, and mechanics used to emphasis that.. Two characters that I could see doing that is Shulk with his visions and Takamaru with a battle style based on iaijutsu.

Last edited:

BluePikmin11

Akko is my dear daughter!
NNID
blue
Counter Attacks are already owned by many characters. With many variants. Little Mac, Greninja, Lucario, Marth, among others. So a counter in general isn't a superbly unique tool.
Elaborate on these tools that are unique and stand out from the current cast, as I'm not seeing it.
Sure, I'll give it a whirl:

In the game Kaeru No Tame Ni Wa Naru, you attack enemies in a unique fashion, by approaching them, it will cause a ruckus auto battle that continues to drain the hearts of both the opposing and other side until Sable or the enemy dies.

In Smash Bros, instead of Sable approaching the player, the opponent would have to attack Sable in order for the counter to function. Once you're in attacking mode, you can dish out tons of damage until the opponent sets themselves free.
He has the Snake transformation move, which has two functions, whip the opponent in a straight-line KO or bite them similar to Wario's chomp move.
The chomp move can also turn items and holdable projectiles into heavy small blocks just like in the game, which would be relatively unique.
In Frog form move, he can jump really high and can use a sticky tongue move that grabs the opponent and sends them down to the ground.
Playstyle-wise, he would be a lightweight whom has weak attacks and quick nimble speed whom has various tools in his disposal to accompany him to trick the opponent.
That's what he would mainly offer. ;)

Transforming for individual attacks? That sounds remarkably annoying to develop.

And what's unique about a counter attack? We've seen plenty of those.
?????

Kirby can transform into rocks and other objects, it's not that difficult.

I highly doubt transforming in the middle of the battle as parts of his attack considering that the reason they cut transformatons was because they were hard to develop
I highly doubt that would be the case for Sakurai to easily turn down Sable.

Last edited:

MagnesD3

Smash Master
Sometimes I wonder if nintendo ignores Star Fox because they aren't interested in it, or if it simply more that they don't know what the heck to do with it.
I hate to say this but I think they are ignorant and dont know how to advance the series, the only thing they know how to make is mario and zelda which makes me very sad. They need some new foreign game developer blood for insight on what to do with their dormant series, people love nintendo so much because they have our favorite franchises held hostage, they need more new ideas and less mario and zelda..

MAGMIS

Smash Journeyman
Not only that, another reason is majority only focused on using one of the characters. So it would be a waste of effort to implement transformation. They never transform in the middle of a match. They stick to 1 character.

Plus it improves balance on the game.

Last edited:

Cobalsh

Smash Champion
3DS FC
2578-3430-9913
So, if Mario Kart 8 gets DLC for Bowser Jr., Diddy Kong, Birdo and Wiggler do happen, I think that opens the door for Smash DLC. Any thoughts?

Gunla

It's my bit, you see.
Administrator
BRoomer
Writing Team
Sure, I'll give it a whirl:

In the game Kaeru No Tame Ni Wa Naru, you attack enemies in a unique fashion, by approaching them, it will cause a ruckus auto battle that continues to drain the hearts of both the opposing and other side until Sable or the enemy dies.

In Smash Bros, instead of Sable approaching the player, the opponent would have to attack Sable in order for the counter to function. Once you're in attacking mode, you can dish out tons of damage until the opponent sets themselves free.
This sounds morseo like it's just a grab instead of a counter. It sounds like a command grab, actually.
He has the Snake transformation move, which has two functions, whip the opponent in a straight-line KO or bite them similar to Wario's chomp move.
The chomp move can also turn items and holdable projectiles into heavy small blocks just like in the game, which would be relatively unique.
In Frog form move, he can jump really high and can use a sticky tongue move that grabs the opponent and sends them down to the ground.
Playstyle-wise, he would be a lightweight whom has weak attacks and quick nimble speed whom has various tools in his disposal to accompany him to trick the opponent.
That's what he would mainly offer. ;)
Not gonna lie, this does a lot like Kirby without constantly transforming. Sable's a bag of tricks, but he's also very similar to Kirby in that regard. Lightweight, mostly weak, has good speed in the air at least, nimble, few reliable KO tools, and has many tools.

On another, it sounds like it's a serious pain to develop. Constantly transforming and changing sizes is an issue with hitboxes and balancing.

Last edited:

ultimatekoopa

Smash Ace
So, if Mario Kart 8 gets DLC for Bowser Jr., Diddy Kong, Birdo and Wiggler do happen, I think that opens the door for Smash DLC. Any thoughts?
Are you sure bowser jr is not in? As far as I know there are two characters that are yet to be shown

Cobalsh

Smash Champion
3DS FC
2578-3430-9913
Are you sure bowser jr is not in? As far as I know there are two characters that are yet to be shown
They said no more Koopa-based characters, due to an oversaturation, along with Babies. So, maybe Diddy Kong and Birdo could get in, but they said that that was the full roster. It is really disappointing, though.

MagnesD3

Smash Master
Looka t all the other dlc stuff nintendo has been doing, if they want ALOT of cash their gonna make plenty of dlc, Id say at least 5 characters maybe more.

Some examples of dlc:

Fire Emblem Awakening
New Super Luigi U
Mario Golf 3ds
Pikmin 3

Such Cash.

I think 10 dollaz per character would be fair as well as stage dlc and possibly costumes. Nintendo gonna make day monay bak

Last edited:

Louie G.

Smash Hero
I would agree, but Mario Kart characters and Mario Golf characters are FAR easier to develop than full Smash Bros characters.

ultimatekoopa

Smash Ace
They said no more Koopa-based characters, due to an oversaturation, along with Babies. So, maybe Diddy Kong and Birdo could get in, but they said that that was the full roster. It is really disappointing, though.
Did they really add metal peach? That is ridiculous

Last edited:

shrooby

Let me know when I'm supposed to laugh, okay?
BRoomer
NNID
shrooby
3DS FC
2320-6364-8294
The incredibly clunky writing, the cringe worthy supports, the unhealthy amount of anime cliches, everyone being one dimensional, the game being incredibly easy to break, the lack of diversity with missions, and that shoehorned fanservice.

It's funny how some of the things you dislike about the game are things I love about it. I suppose it's because I interpret the "shoehorned fanservice," personalty cliches, occasionally awkward/downright stupid dialogue, and one dimensional characters as being completely intentional and thus laughable.
For example, I think the fanservice is kind of funny for the sheer fact that it even exists to begin with. It wasn't what I was expecting going into the game. Same with characters with personality cliches that I recognize. I smile and laugh at them for some reason.
Though I'll admit this was, as is the case for many, the first Fire Emblem I've played. Which is probably why I'm okay with this. I was going into the field not knowing what crops I'd find, where as you were going into it knowing what you wanted after previous pickings and certain things weren't there with unsatisfactory replacements. But I can understand where you're coming from since, unlike me, you've played the past titles and ergo had expectations that I wouldn't.
I do plan on playing some past games in the series. I'm going to start a playthrough Sacred Stones soon and, if I can actually find copies of them, Radiant Dawn and Path of Radiance. I've hear many good things from many people about the latter two, so I'm looking forward to those. My roommate it making me play Sacred Stones.

I know, off topic. Sorry...

@ BluePikmin11 BluePikmin11 That roster needs more Anna.
All of your past rosters that I've seen need more Anna!
Oh, right, these are prediction rosters. Carry on then.
But, wait, prediction roster? Then why are...never mind. :troll:
Just throw Ike back in there at least. "We like" him after all.

Louie G.

Smash Hero
Did they really add metal peach? That is ridiculous
O Gawd lol...........
Two things:
1. I would recommend longer responses, since neither of these really add to the topic at hand.
2. This is a thread for Smash Bros speculation, not Mario Kart discussion, as great as both games look.

So new topic anyone?
How about Kirby? We haven't done that one in a while.
How would you recommend changing Kirby characters for Smash 4? Buffs, nerfs, moveset changes?
Inb4 an entire Meta Knight discussion.

Rockaphin

Smash Champion
NNID
Rockaphin
3DS FC
2595-0113-8473
Two things:
1. I would recommend longer responses, since neither of these really add to the topic at hand.
2. This is a thread for Smash Bros speculation, not Mario Kart discussion, as great as both games look.

So new topic anyone?
How would you recommend changing Kirby characters for Smash 4? Buffs, nerfs, moveset changes?
Buff Kirby's Hammer, nerf Kirby's side-smash.
Dear God please nerf Dedede's down throw.

Rebellious Treecko

Smash Hero
Two things:

So new topic anyone?
I don't recall you being a mod.

If I had my way, I'd make Kirby's front and down airs as fun and cheap as they were in Smash 64.
I also remember someone somewhere suggesting that Kirby's dash attack could be held to become his fireball attack from Melee, or simply tapped to be his Brawl or SSB64 dash attack. Nice idea.

Baby Rosalina and Pink Gold Peach for Smash 4 semi-clones.

-----

Last edited:

Leafeon523

Smash Ace
NNID
Leafeon523
3DS FC
2466-1607-7000
Two things:

So new topic anyone?
Meta knight obviously needs several buffs nerfs, and I would like to see new final smashes for all 3 of them.

D-idara

Banned via Administration
NNID
D-idara
3DS FC
4511-0670-4622
Fire Emblem: Awakening did feel like a step backwards. The very lackluster writing and horrible balance being the most notable flaws.
Fire Emblem: Awakening felt like a step backwards...
THE VERY LACKLUSTER WRITING AND TERRIBLE BALANCE.

I'm done with humanity.

D

Deleted member

Meta knight obviously needs several buffs nerfs, and I would like to see new final smashes for all 3 of them.
I'm fine with changing Kirby and Meta Knight's final smashes, but I felt Dedede's represented his character quite well. No, this has nothing to do with the BIG GAY DANCE. Dedede's kind of a bossy guy who wouldn't fight if given the choice, and he a slacker, so it makes sense that his final smash just summons his (ineffective) minions to attack. It'll probably be changed though.

The one final smash that must be changed though, is Toon Link's. It's literally a worse version of Link's. There are much more interesting concepts you could use for the move.

Last edited by a moderator:

FlareHabanero

Banned via Warnings
Fire Emblem: Awakening felt like a step backwards...
THE VERY LACKLUSTER WRITING AND TERRIBLE BALANCE.

I'm done with humanity.
Okay, fine, yes, whatever.

Fire Emblem: Awakening is an absolutely perfect game which doesn't have any flaws whatsoever and anyone that says otherwise is a hell spawn that must be purged.

Happy your royal hiney?

D-idara

Banned via Administration
NNID
D-idara
3DS FC
4511-0670-4622
I've explained my reasons multiple times, yet no one ever listens. When I bring a sound argument against them, supporters will conjure up another one.

I legitimately don't expect them to be in, but everyone else does because either they were in a "credible" leak, or they deserve to be in somehow.

And frankly, that's why I don't like them. I see them as unfitting, forced characters that everyone considers shoo-ins because "a leak said so".

The bottom line is, I have my reasons for not having them, and I won't include them until we see for ourselves.
No one considers the Miis a shoe-in because of a leak, people consider them a shoe-in because, no matter if they hurt their hardcore pride or not, they're big Nintendo characters.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom