• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Character Discussion Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

FinalStarmen

Smash Ace
Speaking of bossing around...

Ridley

Anyone other than Ariand/AEM considering the possibility of a playable boss mode?

If so, who do you think would be included in that fashion?
Alongside others, I have considered the idea of implementing boss characters in a playable fashion (albeit within the restricted confines of specifically-inclined game mode). Although, I would expect this to only apply to Master/Crazy Hand, and (if he truly is relegated within another supporting role... again) Ridley. A food for thought, so to speak.

However, given the poisonously-radioactive environment of the toxic Ridley-related discussions, I refrain from even mentioning this without the apprehensive fear of triggering hideously-ugly (or pretentious) debates. It is a sensitive issue which should, but not necessarily can, be handled delicately.

Morbi

Scavenger
Alongside others, I have considered the idea of implementing boss characters in a playable fashion (albeit within the restricted confines of specifically-inclined game mode). Although, I would expect this to only apply to Master/Crazy Hand, and (if he truly is relegated within another supporting role... again) Ridley. A food for thought, so to speak.

However, given the poisonously-radioactive environment of the toxic Ridley-related discussions, I refrain from even mentioning this without the apprehensive fear of triggering hideously-ugly (or pretentious) debates. It is a sensitive issue which should, but not necessarily can, be handled delicately.
I miss when Fire Emblem debates were the most hideously-ugly (repugnant) and pretentious debates; what ever happened to those? People started to admit that Chrom was the most ideal choice?! :troll:

Bowserlick

Smash Hero
I think a Star Fox rail shooter using the Wii U tablet for schematics and pilot controls would be fine.

Sakurai likes Star Fox and rail shooters, he should revive the franchise.

A step would be making Wolf more interesting in Smash with different specials.

Last edited:

Mario & Sonic Guy

Old rivalries live on!
NNID
TPitch5
3DS FC
5327-1637-5096
He is even more sluggish because of his high-falling speed, as opposed to Jigglypuff, who doesn't really even fall.
Another oddity is that Fox is much lighter than Samus, but he falls like an anvil, while Samus falls like a feather. Falling speed can really play a factor on how far a fighter can be sent flying.

D-idara

Banned via Administration
NNID
D-idara
3DS FC
4511-0670-4622
No, Awakening is awesome, and is full of unique, charming, and interesting characters.

Whether or not Chrom is any of those things is debatable.
Chrom's only considered unmemorable by people who didn't play Awakening and see him as another blue-haired swordsman, but his moveset could be pretty unique, and a balance between Ike's Power and Marth's speed wouldn't make him a semi clone, stats don't make you a clone, moveset does.

And he has material for a pretty exciting, unique moveset, just think about a Naga's Fire FS.

And I would like Robin only if you could customize them, maybe call them 'Grima' or something, because I feel no attachment to a version of Robin I didn't choose.

Gunla

It's my bit, you see.
Administrator
BRoomer
Writing Team
Chrom's only considered unmemorable by people who didn't play Awakening and see him as another blue-haired swordsman, but his moveset could be pretty unique, and a balance between Ike's Power and Marth's speed wouldn't make him a semi clone, stats don't make you a clone, moveset does.
I played Awakening a ton and I still find him unmemorable.
And if he's playable, which is pretty likely, Sakurai will do something with his moveset. Whether it's a semi-clone or not is up to him. The potential is there, but it is not always taken.

Fire Emblem: Awakening did feel like a step backwards. The very lackluster writing and horrible balance being the most notable flaws.
Also this because it's broken. I don't want a one man tank winning my games. That's Disgaea.

Last edited:

Opossum

Thread Title Changer
BRoomer
NNID
OpossumGuy
3DS FC
4742-4911-3431
Switch FC
SW 2859 6322 5208
D-Idara, I respect the Chrom enthusiasm and all, but that's sort of a generalization. There are people who played Awakening and dislike Chrom. It's just a matter of opinion. And getting in just to "represent Awakening" would be kind of meh. :/

I fully support Chrom, though.

Kenith

Overkill Sarcasm
The Fabulous Friendly Super Sparkle Train
NNID
RipoffmanXKTG
3DS FC
4210-4224-9442
Lucina's only considered unmemorable by people who didn't play Awakening and see her as another blue-haired swordswoman, but her moveset could be pretty unique, and a balance between Ike's Power and Marth's speed wouldn't make her a semi clone, stats don't make you a clone, moveset does.
Fixed for accuracy.

Last edited:

D-idara

NNID
D-idara
3DS FC
4511-0670-4622
You say that with a troll face; but the sad, sad, and very unfortunate truth is that it might be the case. You know Nintendo. I almost forgot about the Gamepad; surely they will force some unwarranted gimmick onto Smash with that horrible device!
I'd be horrified if Smash didn't have some Gamepad use...you must mean "They will add some cool FEATURE to Smash with that AMAZING DEVICE" because the Gamepad's the best thing ever, the best controller Nintendo has ever made, gimmicksayers make me laugh.

D

Deleted member

Well they didn't add a stupid gimmick involving the Wiimote.

I shouldn't count my chickens, but it's still possible.

Will

apustaja
Switch FC
SW-7573-2962-2407
I'd be horrified if Smash didn't have some Gamepad use...you must mean "They will add some cool FEATURE to Smash with that AMAZING DEVICE" because the Gamepad's the best thing ever, the best controller Nintendo has ever made, gimmicksayers make me laugh.
And what does the 3DS get? A stylus add-on?

D-idara

NNID
D-idara
3DS FC
4511-0670-4622
Well they didn't add a stupid gimmick involving the Wiimote.

I shouldn't count my chickens, but it's still possible.
Yes, they didn't add a convenient Wiimote pointer option to select things that would've made everything more streamlined and simple, what a good choice, having good things and not using them, you know what? Nintendo should drop the Gravity 'gimmick' for a future Mario Galaxy, or the powerups 'gimmick' for the entire Mario series, or the barrel 'gimmick' from the DK series, or the morph ball 'gimmick' from the Metroid series.

And they actually had a """gimmick""" for Wiichuck users that lets you flick the Wiimote as a C-stick.

And yes, you should be allowed to choose menus with touchscreen and Wiimotes with Smash 4, keeping bad habits and glorifying them? At least there's no GCN controller on this game so there are no reasons to not include a pointer or a touchscreen feature, which would make picking characters 10X less annoying.

Also, it'd be really cool to have a mode where a player with the Gamepad manipulates the stage while the other players fight.

Last edited:

Will

apustaja
Switch FC
SW-7573-2962-2407
Also, it'd be really cool to have a mode where a player with the Gamepad manipulates the stage while the other players fight.

This better not be happening online if this happens.

Kenith

Overkill Sarcasm
NNID
RipoffmanXKTG
3DS FC
4210-4224-9442
Alright, here they are! Three different prediction/want rosters of differing sizes.

Let's begin.

[collapse=46 Characters]

[/collapse]

[collapse=50 Characters]

[/collapse]

[collapse=54 Characters]

Anna. No, really.
[/collapse]

Roast at your leisure.

Last edited:

Will

apustaja
Switch FC
SW-7573-2962-2407
Alright, here they are! Three different prediction/want rosters of differing sizes.

Let's begin.

[collapse=46 Characters]

[/collapse]

[collapse=50 Characters]

[/collapse]

[collapse=54 Characters]

Anna. No, really.
[/collapse]

Roast at your leisure.
I'd have the 46 one.

Sonic Poke

Smash Lord
@ Kenith Kenith . 50's perfect.
4's bad to me. Add Pacman/ Bayonetta in place of the Mach Rider. Isaac in the Anna's spot. Add a grass type Pokemon or Medusa instead of Paper Mario. Dixie is better than Krystal but I like her anyway. But it's just my opinion.

Last edited:

Louie G.

Smash Hero
@ FlareHabanero FlareHabanero
Awakening was a step backwards?
Was it the partner system? Ooh, or the fact that it saved the series and became one of the most successful and critically acclaimed 3DS games yet?
Sounds like a step in the right direction if you ask me.

And @ Kenith Kenith :
54 characters and neither Miis nor Pac-Man?
Give me a good reason why.

Last edited:
D

Deleted member

Yes, they didn't add a convenient Wiimote pointer option to select things that would've made everything more streamlined and simple, what a good choice, having good things and not using them, you know what? Nintendo should drop the Gravity 'gimmick' for a future Mario Galaxy, or the powerups 'gimmick' for the entire Mario series, or the barrel 'gimmick' from the DK series, or the morph ball 'gimmick' from the Metroid series.

And they actually had a """gimmick""" for Wiichuck users that lets you flick the Wiimote as a C-stick.

And yes, you should be allowed to choose menus with touchscreen and Wiimotes with Smash 4, keeping bad habits and glorifying them? At least there's no GCN controller on this game so there are no reasons to not include a pointer or a touchscreen feature, which would make picking characters 10X less annoying.

You find picking characters tedious? Interesting...

I wasn't implying using the wiimote for menus is a bad thing. What I meant was a really pointless addition involving motion controls, like maybe a stage that involves clicking things on the screen or something. Using it for menus is not pointless, and is easier in some ways.

And there may be no GCN controller, but there's a pro controller.

Last edited by a moderator:

Kenith

Overkill Sarcasm
NNID
RipoffmanXKTG
3DS FC
4210-4224-9442
54 characters and neither Miis nor Pac-Man?
Give me a good reason why.
I've explained my reasons multiple times, yet no one ever listens. When I bring a sound argument against them, supporters will conjure up another one.

I legitimately don't expect them to be in, but everyone else does because either they were in a "credible" leak, or they deserve to be in somehow.

And frankly, that's why I don't like them. I see them as unfitting, forced characters that everyone considers shoo-ins because "a leak said so".

The bottom line is, I have my reasons for not having them, and I won't include them until we see for ourselves.

Last edited:

False Sense

Ad Astra Per Aspera
NNID
FalseSense
3DS FC
3368-2599-3209
I've explained my reasons multiple times, yet no one ever listens. When I bring a sound argument against them, supporters will conjure up another one.

I legitimately don't expect them to be in, but everyone else does because either they were in a "credible" leak, or they deserve to be in somehow.

And frankly, that's why I don't like them. I see them as unfitting, forced characters that everyone considers shoo-ins because "a leak said so".

The bottom line is, I have my reasons for not having them, and I won't include them until we see for ourselves.
I agree with you about the leak part. I feel like some people take that leak a little too seriously. (And by a little, I of course mean that they treat it like the word of God.)

Now personally, I think Pac-Man is a deserving character and has a fair chance at making it in. I'd even say the Miis are deserving, though at this point I find them unlikely. I can see why you'd be opposed to them, though, and I think the reasoning you've given for their exclusion is valid.

@ BluePikmin11 BluePikmin11 *If Miis and Pac-Man are in the roster.

Last edited:

Rockaphin

Smash Champion
NNID
Rockaphin
3DS FC
2595-0113-8473
I'm neutral towards Mii's and Pac-Man, but I think both are very likely. Mii's are very deserving honestly.

Last edited:

FlareHabanero

Banned via Warnings
@ FlareHabanero FlareHabanero
Awakening was a step backwards?
Was it the partner system? Ooh, or the fact that it saved the series and became one of the most successful and critically acclaimed 3DS games yet?
Sounds like a step in the right direction if you ask me.
The incredibly clunky writing, the cringe worthy supports, the unhealthy amount of anime cliches, everyone being one dimensional, the game being incredibly easy to break, the lack of diversity with missions, and that shoehorned fanservice.

Last edited:
D

Deleted member

Am I the only one that doesn't find that even remotely disturbing?
I find it more hilarious than anything. :laugh:

D

Deleted member

Am I the only one that doesn't find that even remotely disturbing?
I find it more hilarious than anything. :laugh:
Nah, you're not the only one.

Seriously though, that should be Wario's alternate.

Last edited by a moderator:

Robert of Normandy

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
NNID
shinpichu
3DS FC
2251-3915-5139
Switch FC
SW-4957-7233-2307
I see that Fire Emblem discussion has come up.

For the record, Smashboards has a lovely Fire Emblem Thread in the Light House where you can(and should) take all non-Smash Roster related Fire Emblem topics.

False Sense

Ad Astra Per Aspera
NNID
FalseSense
3DS FC
3368-2599-3209
Might as well post this prediction roster before I leave this thread now:

I feel in my gut that I'll probably not change this unless a piece of news pops up.
-Dr. Kawashima
-No Jigglypuff
-Prince Sable? I thought his main gimmick was transformation?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom