• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Character Discussion Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

Leafeon523

Smash Ace
NNID
Leafeon523
3DS FC
2466-1607-7000
I'm fine with changing Kirby and Meta Knight's final smashes, I felt Dedede's represented his character quite well. No, this has nothing to do with the BIG GAY DANCE. Dedede's kind of a bossy guy who wouldn't fight if given the choice, and he a slacker, so it makes sense that his final smash just summons his (ineffective) minions to attack.
They should at least change the chanting he makes when performing his final smash though. Also, I just remembered that they did already change Kirby's final smash :)

Louie G.

Smash Hero
I don't recall you being a mod.
Just picking up the slack while they aren't here. :p

Dedede's down throw certainly needs to be nerfed a bit, but if chain grabs are returning in some form I think that Dedede will still possess one.

It seems like some of the game's major changes revolve around Meta Knight, such as finishing moves and gliding being cut. So I think it's safe to say that a nerf is inevitable, now more than ever.

Last edited:
D

Deleted member

They should at least change the chanting he makes when performing his final smash though. Also, I just remembered that they did already change Kirby's final smash :)
Yeah, you're right, Kirby's final smash is the ultra sword slashy thing now. Silly me. I guess that's what happens when you ignore the Kirby part of the direct because you don't care about him at all. His hammer is different now too I guess.

D-idara

Banned via Administration
NNID
D-idara
3DS FC
4511-0670-4622
Actually, Dedede's current FS feels lame for a character that could have this:

Louie G.

Smash Hero
I could definitely see Masked Dedede as a Final Smash for Dedede. I used to expect it more than I do know though, mainly because of all the transformations already and the fact that we saw some new FSs in the Direct, but Dedede's was not shown off old or new.
But with Sakurai's reference to the Dedede battle with the boxing ring screenshot, I could definitely see it.

What would he do though? Would you get a brand new moveset? Or would it just power you up?
Masked Dedede's powers go above and beyond normal D3's.

Swamp Sensei

Today is always the most enjoyable day!
BRoomer
NNID
Swampasaur
3DS FC
4141-2776-0914
Switch FC
SW-6476-1588-8392
They said no more Koopa-based characters, due to an oversaturation, along with Babies. So, maybe Diddy Kong and Birdo could get in, but they said that that was the full roster. It is really disappointing, though.
Source please?

Anyways, DLC for smash would be welcome.

D

Deleted member

Actually, Dedede's current FS feels lame for a character that could have this:
I've honestly never really liked the idea of Masked Dedede as a final smash. Now that Robot Dedede thing on the other hand...

D-idara

NNID
D-idara
3DS FC
4511-0670-4622
I could definitely see Masked Dedede as a Final Smash for Dedede. I used to expect it more than I do know though, mainly because of all the transformations already and the fact that we saw some new FSs in the Direct, but Dedede's was not shown off old or new.
But with Sakurai's reference to the Dedede battle with the boxing ring screenshot, I could definitely see it.

What would he do though? Would you get a brand new moveset? Or would it just power you up?
Masked Dedede's powers go above and beyond normal D3's.
I think he should be like a more controllable Warioman version of Dedede, all his attacks having rocket hammer power-up and getting all-new, OP special moves.

MagnesD3

Smash Master
Just picking up the slack while they aren't here. :p

Dedede's down throw certainly needs to be nerfed a bit, but if chain grabs are returning in some form I think that Dedede will still possess one.

It seems like some of the game's major changes revolve around Meta Knight, such as finishing moves and gliding being cut. So I think it's safe to say that a nerf is inevitable, now more than ever.
Im okay with chain grabs, just not infinites. At low percentages Chain grabs are fine they just need to stop at a certain percent. Ice Climbers needs a careful rebalance.

Shorts

Zef Side
Premium
3DS FC
3136-6583-3704
Oh the Mario Kart 8 roster is absolutely awful. Quite ****. Quintiesentially everything wrong with the Mario franchise. E Gadd, Diddy, Junior, Dixie, King K Rool, Mona, Pauline, Kamek, ect could all have been chosen, but instead we have this disgusting Koopalings, 100 babies, and 2 Metal versions of characters.

Opossum

Thread Title Changer
BRoomer
NNID
OpossumGuy
3DS FC
4742-4911-3431
Switch FC
SW 2859 6322 5208
This isn't a Mario Kart thread, people.

Kenith

Overkill Sarcasm
The Fabulous Friendly Super Sparkle Train
NNID
RipoffmanXKTG
3DS FC
4210-4224-9442
Oh the Mario Kart 8 roster is absolutely awful. Quite ****. Quintiesentially everything wrong with the Mario franchise. E Gadd, Diddy, Junior, Dixie, King K Rool, Mona, Pauline, Kamek, ect could all have been chosen, but instead we have this disgusting Koopalings, 100 babies, and 2 Metal versions of characters.
For fear of going off-topic, I concur that Baby Rosalina is crossing a huge line for me. And Pink Gold Peach? What the hell?

Just remember guys, the roster for this game is probably way worse than the one we'll get for Smash Bros :)

@ Opossum Opossum Sorry, we posted at the exact same time.

Last edited:

BKupa666

Barnacled Boss
No one considers the Miis a shoe-in because of a leak, people consider them a shoe-in because, no matter if they hurt their hardcore pride or not, they're big Nintendo characters.
No, I do. In fact, Sal's is leak the only reason I consider them highly likely. Sakurai's reasoning for shooting them down in the past wasn't "Oh, they're not big Nintendo characters yet because they haven't appeared in enough s*** spinoffs," it was "I felt that people were looking for something different." That's not the sort of thing I'd expect to just change on a whim without further info, given that it's a fundamental rejection of what the Mii represents at its awful core. In (99%) adding them into Smash, he pulled a reversal on that, presumably after his arm injury spread to upstairs.

People said:
Mario Kart Roster Talk
Shut up, all of you!!!!! Pink Metal Peach and Baby Rosalina are sooooo unique!!! Once you see their trailers, you're sure to love them!!!! Mario Kart adds the characters you didn't know you wanted!!!

Last edited:

D-idara

NNID
D-idara
3DS FC
4511-0670-4622
No, I do. In fact, Sal's leak the only reason I consider them highly likely. Sakurai's reasoning for shooting them down in the past wasn't "Oh, they're not big Nintendo characters yet because they haven't appeared in enough s*** spinoffs," it was "I felt that people were looking for something different." That's not the sort of thing I'd expect to just change on a whim without further info, given that it's a fundamental rejection of what the Mii represents at its awful core.
Wii Sports? Good.
Wii Play? Good.
Wii Sports Resort? Absolutely great.
Pilotwings Resort? Great.
What are these ****ty spin-offs you speak about, good sir?

Shorts

Zef Side
Premium
3DS FC
3136-6583-3704
I wonder if there are certain characters that havent been leaked, because theyre MORE TOP SECRET than the 11 already leaked.

I would be very disappointed to have Marth - Ike - Chrom and just Donkey - Diddy

Last edited:

False Sense

Ad Astra Per Aspera
NNID
FalseSense
3DS FC
3368-2599-3209
No, I do. In fact, Sal's is leak the only reason I consider them highly likely. Sakurai's reasoning for shooting them down in the past wasn't "Oh, they're not big Nintendo characters yet because they haven't appeared in enough s*** spinoffs," it was "I felt that people were looking for something different." That's not the sort of thing I'd expect to just change on a whim without further info, given that it's a fundamental rejection of what the Mii represents at its awful core. In (99%) adding them into Smash, he pulled a reversal on that, presumably after his arm injury spread to upstairs.
So, you think that they're likely because of a leak, despite things that would seem to go against them? My way of looking at it would be that the fact that Miis seem to have things going against them support the idea that the leak is false. But I suppose that's up to interpretation, really.

Last edited:

BKupa666

Barnacled Boss
So, because Mario starred on Mario Hotel, he's a ****ty character? Starting to see the hole in your logic?
I'm not seeing any hole, because never did I deem Miis to be s***ty characters in my above posts (though I believe they would be in the context of Smash, for reasons I've gone over elsewhere before). 'S***ty' was a throwaway adjective for the games people mistakenly believe that Miis needed more of under their belts before Sakurai would consider adding them. No, he recognized what the characters (if you can call them that) represented right off of the bat, but refrained from adding them because he felt gamers wanted something else. His likely inclusion of them this time represents a reversal from that.

So, you think that they're likely because of a leak, despite things that would seem to go against them? My way of looking at it would be that the fact that Miis seem to have things going against them support the idea that the leak is false. But I suppose that's up to interpretation, really.
I don't follow that approach, because that involves passing judgment on what appears to be credible information based on my personal beliefs, which I believe are logical, but may not actually be the case. I believed it was logical that Sakurai would not add another Mario newcomer due to no real frontrunner existing among the many candidates; he instead just went with the one he considered to be most unique, possibly because of this reason, but possibly for others as well. That's just one example, I'm sure others could be found. To each his or her own.

Last edited:

False Sense

Ad Astra Per Aspera
NNID
FalseSense
3DS FC
3368-2599-3209
I don't follow that approach, because that involves passing judgment on what appears to be credible information based on my personal beliefs, which I believe are logical, but may not actually be the case. I believed it was logical that Sakurai would not add another Mario newcomer due to no real frontrunner existing among the many candidates; he instead just went with the one he considered to be most unique, possibly because of this reason, but possibly for others as well. That's just one example, I'm sure others could be found. To each his or her own.
Yes, I can understand where you're coming from. Letting your own personal beliefs cloud what appears to be the truth is certainly not wise, so if you believe the leak to be credible, then it makes sense that you might have to alter your perception of things to match it.

For me, though, I don't believe that leak because of what I believe to be logical and more credible than a leak; what we've seen out of the actual games. I've gone on about this before, but I believe, based on what we've seen out of the Direct, that the Miis aren't as likely as many seem to think they are. Of course no one actually agrees with me on that because "the leak said so!"

BKupa666

Barnacled Boss
Yes, I can understand where you're coming from. Letting your own personal beliefs cloud what appears to be the truth is certainly not wise, so if you believe the leak to be credible, then it makes sense that you might have to alter your perception of things to match it.

For me, though, I don't believe that leak because of what I believe to be logical and more credible than a leak; what we've seen out of the actual games. I've gone on about this before, but I believe, based on what we've seen out of the Direct, that the Miis aren't as likely as many seem to think they are. Of course no one actually agrees with me on that because "the leak said so!"
Believe me, I don't want to be right. I'd rather have a newcomer, any newcomer, in place of the Mii, for whoever that newcomer is, odds are they'll be infinitely more unique while also potentially vacuuming up less development time in the process. I'll be celebrating right alongside most of the detractors if Sal ends up getting that bit wrong.

I wonder if there are certain characters that havent been leaked, because theyre MORE TOP SECRET than the 11 already leaked.

I would be very disappointed to have Marth - Ike - Chrom and just Donkey - Diddy
My opinion is mixed on the subject. While I could easily see the biggest hype machine characters being held off for the last reveals, rectifying the problem of Brawl's final reveals being underwhelming in comparison to its earlier ones, you'd think that Chorus Men would be among the top secret characters, given its WFT nature and the general secrecy surrounding such characters (G&W and ROB).

Last edited:

False Sense

Ad Astra Per Aspera
NNID
FalseSense
3DS FC
3368-2599-3209
Believe me, I don't want to be right. I'd rather have a newcomer, any newcomer, in place of the Mii, for whoever that newcomer is, odds are they'll be infinitely more unique while also potentially vacuuming up less development time in the process. I'll be celebrating right alongside most of the detractors if Sal ends up getting that bit wrong.
Quite ironic, really. I don't want to be right either; I'm a Mii supporter. I actually think their inclusion in Smash is quite justified, and that they'd be very fun additions to the roster. It kind of pains me to have to argue against their inclusion, but that's just what I see happening at this point based on the evidence at hand.

Last edited:

Autumn ♫

I'm terrible with these Custom Titles.
Pink Gold Peach for being infinitely more unique than the Mii :troll:

Shorts

Zef Side
Premium
3DS FC
3136-6583-3704
Miis are super integrated into Nintendo and it's hardware. The Wii series outsells every video game series ever, besides Mario and Pokemon. There's no reason they shouldn't be included.

mini paincakes

Smash Journeyman
I liked nintendo land and wii sports, but miis seem like a terrible choice. It just feels so uncreative and boring to have a mii.

inb4 SS tier Mii

D-idara

NNID
D-idara
3DS FC
4511-0670-4622

My opinion is mixed on the subject. While I could easily see the biggest hype machine characters being held off for the last reveals, rectifying the problem of Brawl's final reveals being underwhelming in comparison to its earlier ones, you'd think that Chorus Men would be among the top secret characters, given its WFT nature and the general secrecy surrounding such characters (G&W and ROB).
Celebrating that someone's wanted character didn't make it in? That's kinda sick.

BKupa666

Barnacled Boss
"This character exists in a series that sells well, thus that character is entitled to appear in Smash Bros."

I disagree, because characters ought to be valued based on what moveset contributions they can bring into the game, as well as how well-received they are by the fanbase. Although an explanation can be half-arsed so that any character meets this criteria (namely sales and popularity are 100% interchangeable in this case), I believe other characters fulfill it at a level the Mii never can.

Celebrating that someone's wanted character didn't make it in? That's kinda sick.
I'd be celebrating my gaming preferences being met. Most gaming preferences are met at the expense of other people's gaming preferences being met. Too bad for them, but that's reality for you.

Last edited:

Morbi

Scavenger
Apparently; I am very sick, perhaps even... disturbed?

I liked nintendo land and wii sports, but miis seem like a terrible choice. It just feels so uncreative and boring to have a mii.

inb4 SS tier Mii
I can't objectively agree until I actually see their move-set (presuming they are included), but I do agree to an extent.

MagnesD3

Smash Master
"This character exists in a series that sells well, thus that character is entitled to appear in Smash Bros."

I disagree, because characters ought to be valued based on what moveset contributions they can bring into the game, as well as how well-received they are by the fanbase. Although an explanation can be half-arsed so that any character meets this criteria (namely sales and popularity are 100% interchangeable in this case), I believe other characters fulfill it at a level the Mii never can.
I feel like the Mii is the new R.O.B. and Game and Watch. Mii's are in an important part of Nintendo history whether we like it or not.

D-idara

NNID
D-idara
3DS FC
4511-0670-4622
I feel like the Mii is the new R.O.B. and Game and Watch. Mii's are in an important part of Nintendo history whether we like it or not.
And I like it! So it's all good! :D
Oh, I didn't even mention Nintendoland, god that game was good and full of charm.

BKupa666

Barnacled Boss
I agree it's a part of Nintendo's history. Smash represents important parts of Nintendo's history beyond just the character roster. Miis would be perfectly well-suited as background elements of a Mii Plaza stage, IMO, or as the new Multi-Man mooks.

EDIT: Or as an Assist Trophy as "Mii Parade," where a flood of the bloody things swarm the stage and carry everyone away with them.

Last edited:

MagnesD3

Smash Master
I agree it's a part of Nintendo's history. Smash represents important parts of Nintendo's history beyond just the character roster. Miis would be perfectly well-suited as background elements of a Mii Plaza stage, IMO, or as the new Multi-Man mooks.
The Multiman things does sound cool but im banking on a character or both cuz wow multiman would be funny.

D

Deleted member

If only he didn't show up on the Jungle Japes stage, I would've gone with Cranky Kong as the new Game & Watch & ROB

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom