• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Character Discussion Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jason the Yoshi

Watching Me, Wanting Me

I have class coming up so ignore the outdated images and pretend that Rhythm Girl is the Trash Men Chorus Men. Unlike last time, I've double check to make sure every veteran is back (I've changed my mind on Snake) and the fact that transformations have their own slot means that the "50 only" roster rule is no more (This roster has 53 slots). I'm still not changing my mind on Ridley since he's still officially reconfirmed as a stage hazard (the shadow alone fully convinces me).
I was like "HEY!!! Where the heck is Fox?!?!" for a moment.

Jason the Yoshi

Watching Me, Wanting Me
Everyone really seems to hate miis. So who would you hate the most if they became playable, from most to least hated:
Miis
Shadow the Hedgehog
Pink Golden Peach
Toon Shiek
Goku
Chorus Men
Mii's?
Shadow the Hedgehog?
Pink Golden Peach?
Toon Shiek?
Goku?
Chorus Men?
Here are my thoughts. I'd hate Goku the most because he's got absolutely no merits for Smash.

However, Mii's could be playable, Shadow the Hedgehog? Someday, an alternate costume for Sonic is all we can get as far as Shadow THIS TIME, but maybe someday...

Last edited:

Bowserlick

Smash Hero
Pink Golden Peach would be a terrible idea. But a gold cap (instead of a metal one) that effectively gives the power of the metal cap, but gives the character a golden metallic quality mixed with a color hue representing their character (pink for peach, red for Mario, green for Luigi, orange for Bowser) would be pretty.

G0LD3N L0TUS

Smash Lord
NNID
G0LD3N_L0TUS
3DS FC
3007-8158-6601
Even though Sakurai is a troll, we just don't know if Ridley can even be playable anymore. Having two Ridleys (boss and playable) on Pyrosphere would be awkward as hell.
I disagree. I think having Ridley's Other M clone as a boss and then actual Ridley as playable is brilliant, and exactly the kind of thing Sakurai would do. Of course, we still can't be certain, but personally, I think this is very likely. I don't consider Ridley a necessity for anyone's roster, mind you.

Last edited:
D

Deleted member

I disagree. I think having Ridley's Other M clone as a boss and then actual Ridley as playable is brilliant, and exactly the kind of thing Sakurai would do. Of course, we still can't be certain, but personally, I think this is very likely. I don't consider Ridley a necessity for anyone's roster, mind you.
Not only that, but thinking about Ridley being both playable and a hazard boss...

...Is not as awkward as seeing different alter egos of the same characters fighting each other to me.

D

Deleted member

Everyone really seems to hate miis. So who would you hate the most if they became playable, from most to least hated:
Miis
Shadow the Hedgehog
Pink Golden Peach
Toon Shiek
Goku
Chorus Men

Toon Sheik/Pink Gold Peach (Can't decide who I would dislike more)
Chorus Men (only here because they get in the way of Wrestler)
Goku (Indifference)
Miis (Indifference, but would rather have than Goku)
Shadow (I am a Shadow fan)

BluePikmin11

Akko is my dear daughter!
NNID
blue
On another, it sounds like it's a serious pain to develop. Constantly transforming and changing sizes is an issue with hitboxes and balancing.
Not really, I seen it done before a lot even in a horribly programmed Smash ripoff like Punch-Time Explosion. Aku can turn into a bat every time he jumps, and Him can turn into a butterfly for a recovery. It's not that difficult to develop, and it's not a huge obstacle to Sable that the developers will put him down.
I disagree, because characters ought to be valued based on what moveset contributions they can bring into the game, as well as how well-received they are by the fanbase. Although an explanation can be half-arsed so that any character meets this criteria (namely sales and popularity are 100% interchangeable in this case), I believe other characters fulfill it at a level the Mii never can.
Miis have tons of hidden moveset potential, I even brought them up in this thread plenty of times before.

Depressed Gengar

Hana Is Best Girl
Miis
Shadow the Hedgehog
Pink Golden Peach
Toon Shiek
Goku
Chorus Men
1: Goku: Would only worsen Miiverse requests when they're bad enough, plus a non-game character.
2: Toon Sheik: Does not even exist. And a filler, big time.
3: Gold Peach: Filler.
4: Shadow: See Goku, minus the last part.
5: Mii: Would feel pretty forced.
6: Chorus Men: Would love actually.
Course, there are worse characters than these.

D

Deleted member

Wouldn't that technically be scribble sheik? :troll:
Technically, yes.
But it still proves the point that a "Toon Sheik" actually exists, considering everything is in the Toon style in Scribblenauts. Even things that weren't in the Toon style otherwise like Sheik and Beast Ganon.

D

Deleted member

f

Non-canon. And Scribblenauts Unlimited came out in 2012, much later after Brawl and Sakurai's idea for a Toon Sheik.

I see what you mean though, as a "Toon Sheik" exists, nonetheless.

----
*insert pic from my Photobucket of Captain Falcon using Falcon Punch saying "Canon? Lol!"*

.....Damn bandwidth issues.

BKupa666

Barnacled Boss
That's like saying Ridley would be perfectly well-suited as a stage boss (Spoilers: NO!).
I said that Miis would fit those roles IMO (in my opinion). People out there have the same opinion about Ridley, I just find their opinions to be stupid because Ridley has so much more to offer as a character and as a playstyle than an intentional absence of character and more prop-spam.

@ FlareHabanero FlareHabanero I think Chrom is better than the Mii because Chrom won't take up development time through potentially having multiple weight classes designed for and balanced around him, he has far less potential to plague online battles as Hitler or Joe Schmoe from Idaho, and, if he's given Lucina or a stance-changing mechanic, he'd be more unique than yet another f***ing prop-spammer. I don't think there's a double standard involved there, at least for me.

Miis have tons of hidden moveset potential, I even brought them up in this thread plenty of times before.
I've seen you bring up one generic controllable recovery with the hand from Mii Plaza. Also, repetition of "they have hidden potential!!!! you'll love them!!!!!" isn't a very solid case to make for the Mii.

Last edited:

FlareHabanero

Banned via Warnings
@ FlareHabanero FlareHabanero I think Chrom is better than the Mii because Chrom won't take up development time through potentially having multiple weight classes designed for and balanced around him, he has far less potential to plague online battles as Hitler or Joe Schmoe from Idaho, and, if he's given Lucina or a stance-changing mechanic, he'd be more unique than yet another f***ing prop-spammer. I don't think there's a double standard involved there, at least for me.
1) Customization is disabled on random Wi-Fi, which could also mean the Mii won't have custom faces.
2) Even if random online does allow custom faces, there is a rule and report system that will pretty much prevent anything that will cause controversy. This means dong and dictators are a no go.
3) No transformation gimmicks.
4) Ripping off Ice Climbers or Rosalina confirmed for original.
5) If you're complaining about having another prop user, then you might as well ***** about the 25 or whatever characters fight with their bare fists. Also, there can be alternate ways to uitilize the concept, Mr. Game & Watch and Villager for example having contrasting playstyles (Glass canon vs. Tactical).

shrooby

Let me know when I'm supposed to laugh, okay?
BRoomer
NNID
shrooby
3DS FC
2320-6364-8294
I said that Miis would fit those roles IMO (in my opinion). People out there have the same opinion about Ridley, I just find their opinions to be stupid because Ridley has so much more to offer as a character and as a playstyle than an intentional absence of character and more prop-spam.

I've seen you bring up one generic controllable recovery with the hand from Mii Plaza. Also, repetition of "they have hidden potential!!!! you'll love them!!!!!" isn't a very solid case to make for the Mii.
If it means anything, we'll probably be able to report people if they have offensive Miis at the very least.
It wouldn't stop "celebrity Miis," but it would at least stop Hitler, Dick4face, what have you.

Also worth mentioning is that the Mii you are able to use in battle would probably be restricted to the Mii your Nintendo ID and Miivserse account is linked to. I think that would cut down on it as well since, you know, having one of your four licenses in Mario Kart Wii be "Adolf," or very easily changing your current license to "Adolf" for a few hours is one thing, but having your Nintendo Network ID be linked to the Mii "Adolf" just to be "funny" is little more..."inconvenient" for lack of a better word. It's a public profile, not a private one. It'd be the equivalent of changing your Twitter account name to something stupid/offensive to make a few Tweets. I think that alone would cut down on it by a good margin.
You've told me before that it's simply your paranoia on the issue kicking in, but I think you're really overstating how much of an issue this could be. There'll be those few jerks who just really want to be "funny," I agree, but I don't think they'll "plague" online in the same vein as Mario Kart. I suppose, to me, it just seems like the environments will be too radically different.
But I've said this before and I'll say it again, I fully understand the harsh opinion of Miis, at least when it comes to this in particular. We don't know how it'll turn out in the end. I mean, we're trying to make a prediction about the psyches of hundreds of thousands of people.
But, if anything, I think you could afford to be a little less pessimistic. At the very least given our new developments on reporting certain online behaviors. No doubt offensive Mii usage would be grounds for reporting.

Joe D.

Smash Ace
NNID
NeroSnare
3DS FC
2552-1665-5337

I have class coming up so ignore the outdated images and pretend that Rhythm Girl is the Trash Men Chorus Men. Unlike last time, I've double check to make sure every veteran is back (I've changed my mind on Snake) and the fact that transformations have their own slot means that the "50 only" roster rule is no more (This roster has 53 slots). I'm still not changing my mind on Ridley since he's still officially reconfirmed as a stage hazard (the shadow alone fully convinces me).
Why does this look suspiciously similar to my roster?

Yomi's Biggest Fan

See You Next Year, Baby
NNID
Takamaru64
3DS FC
1375-7346-9605
Switch FC
SW-8277-6509-2593
Why does this look suspiciously similar to my roster?
Couldn't think of a better layout for 53 characters and I'm starting to realize that Snake shouldn't be cut after 1.5 years of prioritizing Pac Man over him with the 50 character limit.

Depressed Gengar

Hana Is Best Girl
OK, so I decided to create a "reaction roster", to see everyone's, well, reaction. Sorry, only words today, thankfully spoilers exist.
[collapse=Are you snooPING AS usual?]
Super Mario: Mario, Bowser, Peach, Luigi*, Toad*, Rosalina*
Pokémon: Pikachu, Lucario, Mewtwo, Meowth*, Charizard*, Pichu*
Zelda: Link, Zelda, Ganondorf, Toon Link*, Vaati*
DKC: DK, Diddy, K. Rool, Dixie*, Cranky*
Kirby: Kirby, Dedede, Meta Knight*, Bandanna Dee*
Metroid: Samus, Ridley, Dark Samus*
Yoshi's Island: Yoshi, Kamek*
Star Fox: Fox, Wolf, Falco*
F-Zero: Captain Falcon, Samurai Goroh*
EarthBound: Ness, Lucas*
Fire Emblem: Marth, Ike*, Leif*
WarioWare/ Land: Wario, Captain Syrup*
Kid Icarus: Pit, Medusa*
Other: Villager, Olimar, Little Mac, Isaac, Andy*, Dr. Lobe*
Retro: Mr. GAW, R.O.B., Ice Climbers*, Balloon Fighter*
3rd Party: Sonic*, Mega Man*, Snake*, Black Mage*, Pac-Man*
*=unlockable. Why do I have this? Because potatoes.
I know this is impossible, but that's not the point. [/collapse]

Louie G.

Smash Hero
OK, so I decided to create a "reaction roster", to see everyone's, well, reaction. Sorry, only words today, thankfully spoilers exist.
[collapse=Are you snooPING AS usual?]
Super Mario: Mario, Bowser, Peach, Luigi*, Toad*, Rosalina*
Pokémon: Pikachu, Lucario, Mewtwo, Meowth*, Charizard*, Pichu*
Zelda: Link, Zelda, Ganondorf, Toon Link*, Vaati*
DKC: DK, Diddy, K. Rool, Dixie*, Cranky*
Kirby: Kirby, Dedede, Meta Knight*, Bandanna Dee*
Metroid: Samus, Ridley, Dark Samus*
Yoshi's Island: Yoshi, Kamek*
Star Fox: Fox, Wolf, Falco*
F-Zero: Captain Falcon, Samurai Goroh*
EarthBound: Ness, Lucas*
Fire Emblem: Marth, Ike*, Leif*
WarioWare/ Land: Wario, Captain Syrup*
Kid Icarus: Pit, Medusa*
Other: Villager, Olimar, Little Mac, Isaac, Andy*, Dr. Lobe*
Retro: Mr. GAW, R.O.B., Ice Climbers*, Balloon Fighter*
3rd Party: Sonic*, Mega Man*, Snake*, Black Mage*, Pac-Man*
*=unlockable. Why do I have this? Because potatoes.
I know this is impossible, but that's not the point. [/collapse]
Questionable choices aside, it has Meowth, so 10/10.
But no Mewtwo or Palutena would piss me off to no end.
What have you got against Palutena anyway?

Kenith

Overkill Sarcasm
The Fabulous Friendly Super Sparkle Train
NNID
RipoffmanXKTG
3DS FC
4210-4224-9442
Miis
Shadow the Hedgehog
Pink Golden Peach
Toon Shiek
Goku
Chorus Men
Are those your most hated or should I rank those? I will do the latter regardless.

1. Mii (in the context of Smash Bros)
2. Chorus Men
3. Pink Golden Peach
4. Toon Sheik
5. Goku
6. Shadow the Hedgehog

BKupa666

Barnacled Boss
If it means anything, we'll probably be able to report people if they have offensive Miis at the very least.
It wouldn't stop "celebrity Miis," but it would at least stop Hitler, ****4face, what have you.

Also worth mentioning is that the Mii you are able to use in battle would probably be restricted to the Mii your Nintendo ID and Miivserse account is linked to. I think that would cut down on it as well since, you know, having one of your four licenses in Mario Kart Wii be "Adolf," or very easily changing your current license to "Adolf" for a few hours is one thing, but having your Nintendo Network ID be linked to the Mii "Adolf" just to be "funny" is little more..."inconvenient" for lack of a better word. It's a public profile, not a private one. It'd be the equivalent of changing your Twitter account name to something stupid/offensive to make a few Tweets. I think that alone would cut down on it by a good margin.
You've told me before that it's simply your paranoia on the issue kicking in, but I think you're really overstating how much of an issue this could be. There'll be those few jerks who just really want to be "funny," I agree, but I don't think they'll "plague" online in the same vein as Mario Kart. I suppose, to me, it just seems like the environments will be too radically different.
But I've said this before and I'll say it again, I fully understand the harsh opinion of Miis, at least when it comes to this in particular. We don't know how it'll turn out in the end. I mean, we're trying to make a prediction about the psyches of hundreds of thousands of people.
But, if anything, I think you could afford to be a little less pessimistic. At the very least given our new developments on reporting certain online behaviors. No doubt offensive Mii usage would be grounds for reporting.
I understand this solution to the problem, hence me mentioning "Hitler or Joe Schmoe from Idaho." I'd rather not go online and face personification after personification of users I don't know or care about, instead of the actual cast of Nintendo characters. We're already going to get characters like Ike or Ganondorf spammed online, there's no need to add in a non-character who's guaranteed to be spammed to an even worse extent, regardless of moveset competence. To each his or her own.

1) Customization is disabled on random Wi-Fi, which could also mean the Mii won't have custom faces.
2) Even if random online does allow custom faces, there is a rule and report system that will pretty much prevent anything that will cause controversy. This means dong and dictators are a no go.
3) No transformation gimmicks.
4) Ripping off Ice Climbers or Rosalina confirmed for original.
5) If you're complaining about having another prop user, then you might as well ***** about the 25 or whatever characters fight with their bare fists. Also, there can be alternate ways to uitilize the concept, Mr. Game & Watch and Villager for example having contrasting playstyles (Glass canon vs. Tactical).
Answered one and two above. Based on my understanding of Lucina, she'd swap with Chrom every other attack as opposed to just tagging along, a new mechanic, although yes, forgot that three exists. I'm not complaining about characters who use props whatsoever, just the particular ones who use nothing but swung props as attacks (a better fist comparison would be if we were now going to get another exclusive fistfighter Urban Fighter in addition to Falcon and Little Mac). I recognize that playstyle differences can exist, but the differences I'm expecting are "The Mii can use sports equipment! There's a ball...and another ball...and a swung bat...and a swung golf club...and a swung racket...my, he's so versatile and funny!" Maybe, if we're lucky, there'll be a single unique move or two, but any character can be given those with enough effort.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom