• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Character Discussion Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
D

Deleted member

Somehow, I don't think you've played Awakening. Chrom is very different from Marth and Ike, not even remotely a combo of the two.
Ganondorf has amazing move set potentials and is one of the most important villain in Nintendo history (aside from Bowser). He only got into Melee because of similar body builds with Captain Falcon and he sucked in Brawl, again mostly as a clone of Captain Falcon of all things.

Chrom is a character that shares strong similarities to Marth and Ike. He has blue hair, is the descendent of Marth and his design is based off of Ike. I'm not saying that Chrom is definitely going to be a clone, but if Ganondorf can end up being an inferior clone to Captain Falcon, Chrom can be a clone of Ike/Marth. The fact is that the possibility exist and that's why many people are concerned about Chrom's addition.

The Nerd

Smash Journeyman
Honestly, I feel like if Chrom was an actual mixture of Ike and Marth I'd be fine with it. I think a really fast but somewhat weak Ike could be interesting to play and Marth without the tipper would be dramatically different. Somewhere between those two thoughts and a couple unique moves is an awesome newcomer waiting to happen. After all, we don't have a middle of the road sword user right now. Why not have a balanced sword fighter?

Sebz

Luchador Extraordinaire
SPOILERS FOR MARIO KART WII U ROSTER (IF YOU CARE ABOUT THAT SORT OF THING)
Well, with the leak of the new Mario Kart roster, I think the conversation about a sixth Mario rep will get interesting. I say this because Bowser Jr. was dropped in favor of the Koopalings, and while it might not mean anything in the grand scheme of things, it might be seen as Nintendo wanting to drop Jr.

Also, all 5 of our Mario reps are in Kart so there's that.

SureNsync

Smash Journeyman
Your all just recycling debates at this point. The only discussion this community have left is theory abuse. Its ok if you want to gain more knowledge on your favorite respective series and other series you may also wish to meet but sometimes you have to stop and smell the coffee.

Pacack

Super Pac-Fan
NNID
Pacack
3DS FC
0688-5284-6845
Well, with the leak of the new Mario Kart roster, I think the conversation about a sixth Mario rep will get interesting. I say this because Bowser Jr. was dropped in favor of the Koopalings, and while it might not mean anything in the grand scheme of things, it might be seen as Nintendo wanting to drop Jr.

What leak?

Zhadgon

Smash Lord
NNID
Zhadgon

Don't forget that Bowser Jr. wasn't in SM3D Wii U.

.n_n.

Cobalsh

Smash Champion
3DS FC
2578-3430-9913

Considering the roster also has Pink Metal Peach, I don't take offense in that.

D

Deleted member

I don't think we're getting a sixth Mario character. Maybe next time, but I have a hard time seeing it happen.
Your all just recycling debates at this point. The only discussion this community have left is theory abuse. Its ok if you want to gain more knowledge on your favorite respective series and other series you may also wish to meet but sometimes you have to stop and smell the coffee.
Then give us a topic not related to character debates or respond to something that isn't speculation-relatd. Complaining about us recycling debates isn't really productive.

BluePikmin11

Akko is my dear daughter!
NNID
blue
Meanwhile only the "popular" support threads get more attention and discussion, while I'm still progress through which series could get a character. :smirk:

BKupa666

Barnacled Boss
People don't care about characters they don't care about. This is news?

Also, good lord, Bowser Jr. isn't in two games, thus Nintendo is trying to drop him? Did you loons learn nothing from the Kremlings? Not even a month later, you're still going on about this crap?? And unlike the Kremlings, his latest game was in 2013. 2013. Seriously.

Realize that Nintendo includes characters in their mainline games based on how well they fit the gameplay concepts they have in mind. They don't stew in on-and-off petty personal vendettas against characters and decide on them on that basis.

Last edited:

AEMehr

Mii Fighter
I made a roster thing again., but with a twist.
52 CHARACTERS!1

before you mention mona, she's supposed to be embody another Mario Universe character
I chose Mona specifically because I think Wario will be reworked to be more based on Wario Land rather than Ware. With a character from WarioWare, it allows both franchises to be equally represented through separate characters allowing both characters to derive from separate franchises to avoid hindering one in favor of the other (like in Brawl).
That and I believe the Wario Land / Ware franchises can suffice having another character. Dixie Kong could be there too I guess but between the two, I think Mona could be the more interesting one. My only fear is that she could become a cheap knockoff of Game & Watch like Wario was in Brawl.

Other than that, I pretty much followed the basics (3rd DK character / New Retro / Mewtwo / etc.) with the Pre3 and PreDirect leaks.
I'd probably place the random button underneath the last row, but stretch it out so it wouldn't look so weird.
Considering the roster also has Pink Metal Peach, I don't take offense in that.
EXCUSE ME HER NAME IS PINK GOLD PEACH JEEZ
really though I'm mad about that, I actually wanted Nabbit. I guessed Baby Rosalina right though, the fan fictions have become TRUE.

Last edited:
D

Deleted member

An official Direct is a leak?

AEMehr

Mii Fighter
Wario moves like Game & Watch in Brawl. All choppy and whatnot.
That's not what fans generally imagined him to be like in a Smash Brothers game.
Inb4 you remove Mona eventually. :troll:
I know it's going to happen.
Maybe??
I figured if I was going to go with Romano's information, I might as well think of something different that could be done. I mean with all of these commonly requested changes by fans [No tripping, DK's Roll Attack, Mega Evolution for Pokémons, etc.] I'm sure Wario will receive some changes too. Shake It! has pretty neat stuff that can be pulled from it for Wario. But that doesn't mean that WarioWare should be pushed aside either, so a character exclusively from it might be a good fit. Mona would probably be the best of all of the employees, since she seems the most varied (with a changing profession each game) and her pretty much being Wario's #2 (#1 is himself obviously).

SureNsync

Smash Journeyman
Then give us a topic not related to character debates or respond to something that isn't speculation-relatd. Complaining about us recycling debates isn't really productive.
Who's complaining? I rarely use this site. I'm referencing every then and now I visit, I see the same discussions or similar debates. I can't help you on a new topic, buddy. Every possible discussion has already been debated.

No, thanks. I'll take the surprises over the obsession.
Meanwhile only the "popular" support threads get more attention and discussion, while I'm still progress through which series could get a character. :smirk:
I stopped commonly logging in after I realize to much speculation can actually kill hype. I honestly feel like I already played Super Smash Bros. Wii U.

Edited. Double typo mistake.

Last edited:
D

Deleted member

People don't care about characters they don't care about. This is news?

Also, good lord, Bowser Jr. isn't in two games, thus Nintendo is trying to drop him? Did you loons learn nothing from the Kremlings? Not even a month later, you're still going on about this crap?? And unlike the Kremlings, his latest game was in 2013. 2013. Seriously.

Realize that Nintendo includes characters in their mainline games based on how well they fit the gameplay concepts they have in mind. They don't stew in on-and-off petty personal vendettas against characters and decide on them on that basis.
If King K. Rool ends up being playable, this should shut down the recency argument once and for all for recurring franchise characters.

BKupa666

Barnacled Boss
If King K. Rool ends up being playable, this should shut down the recency argument once and for all for recurring franchise characters.
I don't even think that would do it.

With K. Rool, we very well might hear the same sort of stuff we heard when the Skull Kid Assist Trophy was shown off. "K. Rool/Skull Kid is a character/AT! That must mean Retro/Nintendo is working on a new DK/Majora's Mask remake where he's the villain!"

What part of Nintendo's All-Stars is so difficult for people to comprehend?

Rockaphin

Smash Champion
NNID
Rockaphin
3DS FC
2595-0113-8473

I think Bowser Jr. still has a shot. They dropped Waluigi in Mario Kart 7 and now he's back so maybe this will apply to Bowser Jr. Other than him, Blue Toad and Paper Mario are the only other candidates that I find deserving.

Bowserlick

Smash Hero
I would be very, very surprised if this Smash does not receive a heavyweight.

Especially with King K. Rool being popular and Ridley being a noticeable absence from Smash for quite awhile.

MagnesD3

Smash Master
52 CHARACTERS!1

before you mention mona, she's supposed to be embody another Mario Universe character
I chose Mona specifically because I think Wario will be reworked to be more based on Wario Land rather than Ware. With a character from WarioWare, it allows both franchises to be equally represented through separate characters allowing both characters to derive from separate franchises to avoid hindering one in favor of the other (like in Brawl).
That and I believe the Wario Land / Ware franchises can suffice having another character. Dixie Kong could be there too I guess but between the two, I think Mona could be the more interesting one. My only fear is that she could become a cheap knockoff of Game & Watch like Wario was in Brawl.

Other than that, I pretty much followed the basics (3rd DK character / New Retro / Mewtwo / etc.) with the Pre3 and PreDirect leaks.
I'd probably place the random button underneath the last row, but stretch it out so it wouldn't look so weird.
really though I'm mad about that, I actually wanted Nabbit. I guessed Baby Rosalina right though, the fan fictions have become TRUE.
Replace muddy and Mona with Ridley and snake and it becomes a perfect 10.

MAGMIS

Smash Journeyman
I would be very, very surprised if this Smash does not receive a heavyweight.

Especially with King K. Rool being popular and Ridley being a noticeable absence from Smash for quite awhile.
Just saying we have a good amount of heavyweights

1. Bowser
2. Charizard
3. Donkey Kong
4. King DeeDee
5. Samus
6. Yoshi

Most Likely returning
7. Wario
8. Ganondorf
9. Captain Falcon

Not sure if his heavyweight
1. Little Mac???

Bowserlick

Smash Hero
In terms of super-heavyweights we tend to have minimum one each game.

1. DK
2. Bowser
3. Snake and King DeDeDe and Charizard

Super-heavyweights being an arbitrary term. (I rank them super-heavyweights if their weight quotient is 110 or above when added to Smash).

Last edited:

Jason the Yoshi

Watching Me, Wanting Me
52 CHARACTERS!1

I'd only remove Muddy Mole, Chorus Kids, and Mona, those predictions are just silly.

D

Deleted member

I don't even think that would do it.

With K. Rool, we very well might hear the same sort of stuff we heard when the Skull Kid Assist Trophy was shown off. "K. Rool/Skull Kid is a character/AT! That must mean Retro/Nintendo is working on a new DK/Majora's Mask remake where he's the villain!"

What part of Nintendo's All-Stars is so difficult for people to comprehend?
I don't see a lot of people saying this towards Mega Man (of course his condition is far worse than that of K. Rool, but still...) and he's suffered from recency issues really badly in the past few years.

Basically if anyone brings up that Retro is working on a new game featuring K. Rool as a villain and why he was added into Smash as a playable character, just remind them of Mega Man's situation.

Last edited by a moderator:

EddyBearr

Smash Lord
I think the existence of two bi-pedal quasi-anthropomorphic Pokemon that use "energy/elements" to attack heavily hurts Mewtwo's chances.

Could Palutena be our "heavyweight"?

Morbi

Scavenger
I think the existence of two bi-pedal quasi-anthropomorphic Pokemon that use "energy/elements" to attack heavily hurts Mewtwo's chances.

Could Palutena be our "heavyweight"?
There are many characters aesthetically similar; it has never hurt their chances. Characters are based on their merit, what they offer, move-set potential, fan demand, relevance to their respective series, pertinence to Smash, whether or not they could potentially incite sales, and uniqueness. Not their physical appearance.

The only time that seemingly mattered was in Melee; with Wolf and Roy.

Andinus

Smash Journeyman
NNID
kyonyuudaisuki
Who's complaining? I rarely use this site. I'm referencing every then and now I visit, I see the same discussions or similar debates. I can't help you on a new topic, buddy. Every possible discussion has already been debated.

No, thanks. I'll take the surprises over the obsession.

I stopped commonly logging in after I realize to much speculation can actually kill hype. I honestly feel like I already played Super Smash Bros. Wii U.

Edited. Double typo mistake.
I've only been here a short time and I can see the redundancy in a lot of what is debated, but I think that is just the nature of a site like this, so many members, so many posts, things are bound to get repeated. I've seen a topic start between a few people, then it dies off only to be revived a few days later but with mostly different people talking about. It's just the way it goes.

Morbi

Scavenger
Honestly; the newcomer I want the most isn't even a newcomer, Ganondorf. I want Ganondorf from Legend of Zelda, he could use his sword, he can use his magic, he could actually draw inspiration from the source material. Sakurai could then impute his move-set to Black Shadow, this satisfies both parties. Those who want to retain the move-set, and those who want an entirely unique move-set. If you give him a new move-set without doing this, it isn't fair to those who have mained him for a decade; if you don't, it isn't fair to all of the Ganondorf fans that have to deal with an F-Zero clone, one of the most iconic Nintendo villains, reduced to a clone from another franchise.

Everyone always says, "we aren't missing any necessaries!" That is bull****, we are missing Ganondorf, and by extension, the main antagonist of F-Zero. F-Zero might not be relevant to Nintendo, but it is pertinent to Smash. If Mother could receive an additional representative, I hardly find it implausible that one of the most prominent franchises in Smash wouldn't be able to maintain one additional character. The development would be easy; obviously. And the Japanese version would have one of the most adored voice-actors in the game, someone who, if I recall correctly, is on-board with doing the voice work.

Last edited:

Rockaphin

Smash Champion
NNID
Rockaphin
3DS FC
2595-0113-8473
Honestly; the newcomer I want the most isn't even a newcomer, Ganondorf. I want Ganondorf from Legend of Zelda, he could use his sword, he can use his magic, he could actually draw inspiration from the source material. Sakurai could then impute his move-set to Black Shadow, this satisfies both parties. Those who want to retain the move-set, and those who want an entirely unique move-set. If you give him a new move-set without doing this, it isn't fair to those who have mained him for a decade; if you don't, it isn't fair to all of the Ganondorf fans that have to deal with an F-Zero clone, one of the most iconic Nintendo villains, reduced to a clone from another franchise.

Everyone always says, "we aren't missing any necessaries!" That is bull****, we are missing Ganondorf, and by extension, the main antagonist of F-Zero. F-Zero might not be relevant to Nintendo, but it is pertinent to Smash. If Mother could receive an additional representative, I hardly find it implausible that one of the most prominent franchises in Smash wouldn't be able to maintain one additional character. The development would be easy; obviously. And the Japanese version would have one of the most adored voice-actors in the game, someone who, if I recall correctly, is on-board with doing the voice work.
I'm not disagreeing with you or anything, but what would Black Shadow do? Another words, does he have material to work with? Take Captain Falcon for instance, his moveset was created entirely for Smash. At least to my knowledge.

Andinus

Smash Journeyman
NNID
kyonyuudaisuki
Just saying we have a good amount of heavyweights

1. Bowser
2. Charizard
3. Donkey Kong
4. King DeeDee
5. Samus
6. Yoshi

Most Likely returning
7. Wario
8. Ganondorf
9. Captain Falcon

Not sure if his heavyweight
1. Little Mac???
Is Samus really all that heavy? I have not used her a lot, but playing against her I never felt she was as tough as DK, bowser or ganondorf.

TeenGirlSquad

Smash Master
I'm not disagreeing with you or anything, but what would Black Shadow do? Another words, does he have material to work with? Take Captain Falcon for instance, his moveset was created entirely for Smash. At least to my knowledge.
They're saying that Black Shadow would have Ganondorf's current moveset, which is a darker, bulkier version of Captain Falcon's moveset.

I think that eventually, every series should have its main villain playable, excluding series that don't really have a main villain.

Last edited:

Morbi

Scavenger
Impute Ganondorf's move-set to Black Shadow; basically this is in an attempt to retain Ganondorf's "clone" move-set while giving him a new one. Obviously Sakurai could change up the specials a little bit, or maybe some of the aerials.

He does have material, but I am advocating for him to be a Ganondorf clone; basically put the F-Zero clone in F-Zero with minimal tweaks (which he does every game).

Rockaphin

Smash Champion
NNID
Rockaphin
3DS FC
2595-0113-8473
Impute Ganondorf's move-set to Black Shadow; basically this is in an attempt to retain Ganondorf's "clone" move-set while giving him a new one. Obviously Sakurai could change up the specials a little bit, or maybe some of the aerials.

He does have material, but I am advocating for him to be a Ganondorf clone; basically put the F-Zero clone in F-Zero with minimal tweaks (which he does every game).
I actually support this. While I'm not a fan of F-Zero, I wouldn't mind Black Shadow. I always liked Pico and Bio Rex, but they're not deserving candidates.
I think that eventually, every series should have its main villain playable, excluding series that don't really have a main villain.
I agree, I actually support the main villain before any other character besides the main protagonist. For instance, I think Wolf should have a higher priority than Falco. Or Bowser over Luigi(yeah I went there). There could be a couple of exceptions though. Like Diddy vs King K. Rool. While I like King K. Rool more than Diddy, I think Diddy should receive a higher priority than K. Rool. Just a personal opinion though, I likey villains.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom