• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Character Discussion Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

Pega-pony Princess

Smash Lord
NNID
auraoftwilight
3DS FC
2938-6383-8579
Which Ike do you prefer - rugged anime guy from Path of Radiance, or handsome beefcake from Radiant Dawn?
The Ike who doesn't look like he's been on steroids. I love RD Ike and all, but he doesn't look..."realistic" even with the art upgrade. No one can change that much.

SmasherMaster

Smash Lord
NNID
TelevisionGamer
Do you guys think that if the tournament is for the Wii U/3DS games they would have some not confirmed characters as part for the roster? Or for the demos?

Opossum

Thread Title Changer
BRoomer
NNID
OpossumGuy
3DS FC
4742-4911-3431
Switch FC
SW 2859 6322 5208
I'd say it's between Wario, Ness, and the Ice Climbers.

shrooby

Let me know when I'm supposed to laugh, okay?
BRoomer
NNID
shrooby
3DS FC
2320-6364-8294
You seem to be heavily misinterpreting the way we use the term "Metroid deserves more representation", especially when said representation term is usually used to compare to the other main franchises in Smash Bros:

Super Mario Bros: The main hero, the sidekick, The damsel in distress, the main villain, and a Cosmic Deity destined to be a large character in future Mario games. Yoshi's Island adds on to this.

Donkey Kong Country: The main heroes...still missing a pretty big piece of said puzzle, but not entirely bad.

The Legend of Zelda: The three parts of the triforce, having two different triforces of Courage.

Kirby: The main hero, the anti-hero, and the villain, solid representation

Starfox: The main hero, the brash sidekick, and the rival who was once a villain, a strong representation of a franchise mostly about flying ships.

Pokemon: The mascot, the most popular pokemon, one of the most marketable pokemon, a new pokemon from 6th Gen, and hopefully a certain legendary pokemon.

Metroid: Two characters that are, in fact, the exact same character with two different titles...

Can you see now why we use representation in this respect? I mean c'mon, it doesn't take a genius to realize what we mean by "we need more characters from this franchise" it obviously means "The next most important character", it's practically common sense, especially when, unlike Donkey Kong, there isn't a feud discussing who's the next most important character to said series and it's obviously Ridley we're implying in said statements.
It would appear character support philosophies are clashing. I see no use in arguing about this, but I'll still present my side regardless. Feel free to disagree. Just know that I'm not trying to attack you or anyone when I type this...
I apologize if I misinterpret, but you seem to be saying "Metroid should have more characters. Ridley is the next most important character in a franchise that needs characters, so Ridley should be included."
That's just not how I choose my characters.
I personally don't care that Metroid, albeit disrespectfully, only has two characters with them being the "same" character. I support Ridley because he plays a large role in many games. But, at the same time, I don't support Ridley for the sake of supporting the games in terms of how one set of characters on the roster compares to other sets.
I'm not arguing that most people don't imply "Ridley be playable" when they say that "Metroid needs more representation." I'm only saying that if you merely support Ridley for that reason, then you logically couldn't complain if we got another character from Metroid. Which, I know, is not the case for (hopefully) all Ridley supporters.
Despite this, it's often the first, and sometimes most highlighted reason that I hear for people trying to convince others to support Ridley. And when I say that I mean explicitly the line of thought "This franchise deserves more characters."
I have seen that, and there was little room for interpretation as to what was meant. I'm not trying to offensively generalize supporters. I wouldn't purposefully do that. I love all Ridley supporters for simply being Ridley supporters! All I'm trying to say is that I think that, of all the reasons most people think Ridley should be included, his importance to the set of games he appears in should be the first thing brought up and be the most highlighted. And there are cases where I've seen this not be the case. Instead it's the fact that "Metroid only has one slot on the character select screen in Brawl. But Ridley is extremely important to Metroid, ergo Ridley should be playable." It's presenting Metroid's seeming lack of characters first, then Ridley's importance second, sometimes with more emphasis on the former. I think it should be the other way around.
Again, I don't mean to be offensive with any of this. We're all one big happy family of genocidal space dragon supporters, of course!

"The next most important character" in Metroid?
Well, no wonder we got Zero Suit Samus. Samus is the next most important Metroid character after Samus after all.
:troll:

Xzsmmc

Smash Champion
Wario Time!!

I find it ridiculous that Wario hasn't been shown yet. We all know he's in, and Waluigi and Ashley prove it.
God, I wish.
He's long overdue....
He and Meta Knight were the among the first reveals for Brawl, and even Toon Link, who wasn't officially revealed before Brawl's release, was shown before them for crying out loud.
In a perfect world, it's because he's getting a Wario Land-esque revamp, and they're holding off for that reason.

D

Deleted member

In a perfect world, it's because he's getting a Wario Land-esque revamp, and they're holding off for that reason.
No, in a perfect world, he'll be a healthy balance between Wario Land and WarioWare.

Having full Wario Land style would be just as bad as people make out the Brawl style to be.

Xzsmmc

Smash Champion
No, in a perfect world, he'll be a healthy balance between Wario Land and WarioWare.

Having full Wario Land style would be just as bad as people make out the Brawl style to be.
I agree. I should have made that clearer.

Personally, I prefer the air I'd change his side smash to the headbutt from Wario World, as well as make his throws WW based. Make his dash attack his...dash attack, give him the butt smash in some fashion, and there ya go.

D

Deleted member

I agree. I should have made that clearer.

Personally, I prefer the air I'd change his side smash to the headbutt from Wario World, as well as make his throws WW based. Make his dash attack his...dash attack, give him the butt smash in some fashion, and there ya go.
That's what I'd do. Though at least he's almost there on the throw thing with his Forward Throw being essentially the Wild Swing-Ding.

Oh, and don't forget the Earthshake Punch for Down Smash. That's a necessity if only for his current Down Smash being frigging useless.

Last edited by a moderator:

Xzsmmc

Smash Champion
That's what I'd do. Though at least he's almost there on the throw thing with his Forward Throw being essentially the Wild Swing-Ding.

Oh, and don't forget the Earthshake Punch for Down Smash. That's a necessity if only for his current Down Smash being frigging useless.
Oh yeah, I totally forgot about that. Though that's not too surprising, given how no one ever uses it. He could also use a new recovery move.

Last edited:

ElPanandero

Smash Lord
NNID
ElPanandero
How do people feel about a summoner style character. Something similar to Olimar and Rosalina (who I consider varying degrees of the puppeteer archtype). It would obviously be hard to code for, and somewhat chaotic (but isn't that what real smash is about :p)

Last edited:
D

Deleted member

How do people feel about a summoner style character. Something similar to Olimar and Rosalina (who I consider varying degrees of the puppeteer archtype). It would obviously be hard to code for, and somewhat chaotic (but isn't that what real smash is about :p)
I can't really think of any summoner style characters I'd be potentially interested in. But I'd certainly be interested in hearing some examples.

FlareHabanero

Banned via Warnings
God, I wish.
He's long overdue....
He and Meta Knight were the among the first reveals for Brawl, and even Toon Link, who wasn't officially revealed before Brawl's release, was shown before them for crying out loud.
Speaking of Meta Knight, that is one of the veterans I'm most curious about. I want to see what they'll do to make Meta Knight more fair. I'm not expecting him to be outright horrible due to his design making it difficult to so that nor would I want that despite the tedium of Meta Knight vs. Meta Knight from Brawl, but I just want the character to be more fair.

D

Deleted member

I think both Mewtwo and K. Rool will be unlockable.
BUT I don't really know if Sakurai cares about revealing unlockables anymore, after the whole Luigi, Toon Link, and Marth incidents, who are all very likely to be unlockable once again.
I do think secret characters will return. But I only expect a few, most being veterans.
I doubt Luigi, Toon Link and Marth will be unlockables in this game.

Opossum

Thread Title Changer
BRoomer
NNID
OpossumGuy
3DS FC
4742-4911-3431
Switch FC
SW 2859 6322 5208
Speaking of Wario, something I think could be neat is if Chomp were replaced by a move called Shake-It!

Basically, it's essentially the same as Chomp, but more true to Wario (using the shake attack from Shake-It! instead of his teeth).

Louie G.

Smash Hero
I doubt Luigi, Toon Link and Marth will be unlockables in this game.
I beg to differ.
Sakurai even said that Luigi is usually a secret character, but since it was the Year of Luigi he decided to reveal him early.
Toon Link, in my opinion, makes little sense as a starter. He's great unlockable material and there probably isn't enough room for two Links on the starting roster. Plus, lower priority characters are usually late unlocakbles.
Marth I change my mind on. He could easily be starter.

And I like Wario's down smash...

Last edited:

FlareHabanero

Banned via Warnings
Speaking of Wario, something I think could be neat is if Chomp were replaced by a move called Shake-It!

Basically, it's essentially the same as Chomp, but more true to Wario (using the shake attack from Shake-It! instead of his teeth).
As long as you can preform Wario suicide tactics with it, yes I wouldn't mind.

Opossum

Thread Title Changer
BRoomer
NNID
OpossumGuy
3DS FC
4742-4911-3431
Switch FC
SW 2859 6322 5208
As long as you can preform Wario suicide tactics with it, yes I wouldn't mind.
I'd imagine you could. Wario's greedy; he'll continue to shake gold out of you even if it means falling to his death. :laugh:

D

Deleted member

I beg to differ.
Sakurai even said that Luigi is usually a secret character, but since it was the Year of Luigi he decided to reveal him early.
Toon Link, in my opinion, makes little sense as a starter. He's great unlockable material and there probably isn't enough room for two Links on the starting roster. Plus, lower priority characters are usually late unlocakbles.
Marth I change my mind on. He could easily be starter.

And I like Wario's down smash..l
Luigi being revealed early and Sakurai mentioning it doesn't mean that Luigi will return as an unlockable. It could very well be that this is the first time Luigi ever joins a starting roster (and he's way overdue for that).

And Toon Link in particular is what is making me doubt unlockables (outside of maybe third-parties) in the first place.

Louie G.

Smash Hero
No unlockable characters would be disappointing to say the least.
Lots of nostalgia centers around the Challenger Approaching screen.
Heck, my friends and I went ballistic the other week when we finally saw the Mewtwo screen in Melee.

Also, somewhat off topic, I would love to see Meta Knight before the competition.
It would have a funny sense of irony to it, having Meta Knight playable for the first Smash Bros 4 competition.

Last edited:

Xzsmmc

Smash Champion
No unlockable characters would be disappointing to say the least.
Lots of nostalgia centers around the Challenger Approaching screen.
Heck, my friends and I went ballistic the other week when we finally saw the Mewtwo screen in Melee.

Also, somewhat off topic, I would love to see Meta Knight before the competition.
It would have a funny sense of irony to it, having Meta Knight playable for the first Smash Bros 4 competition.
I hear ya. The challenger approaching screen always makes me excited, even if I know who it is. Though I fully expect secret characters to return. Ness and Falcon's unlockable status had changed, so it's feasible Marth and Toon Link's could.

False Sense

Ad Astra Per Aspera
NNID
FalseSense
3DS FC
3368-2599-3209
Luigi being revealed early and Sakurai mentioning it doesn't mean that Luigi will return as an unlockable. It could very well be that this is the first time Luigi ever joins a starting roster (and he's way overdue for that).

And Toon Link in particular is what is making me doubt unlockables (outside of maybe third-parties) in the first place.
Isn't that going under the assumption that Toon Link is a starter? A perfectly viable alternative explanation is that they just have no problem revealing un-lockable characters prior to the game's release.

FlareHabanero

Banned via Warnings
Wow, the standards must be horribly low of Toon Link is great unlockable material.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom