• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Character Discussion Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

TumblrFamous

Smash Hero
Switch FC
SW-8429-6803-3691
Nintendo confirmed to care about Tikis too. The Kremlings only increase K. Rool's chances. It doesn't put them over Dixie's.
That's kinda how I viewed it. Two common DK enemies are in, I don't think the Kremlings in Smash run mean anything to K. Rool. Of course, I could be completely wrong.

True Blue Warrior

Smash Hero
NNID
TrueBlueSM
3DS FC
2036-7619-4276
You mean like how he revisited the Diddy-Dixie tag team idea?
I was thinking more like how Mewtwo, Bowser and Dedede were all planned for 64 and two out of three of them ended up as playable in Melee, with Dedede being considered but ultimately disregarded in favour of Ganondorf, Falco, Dr. Mario, Pichu Young Link and Roy.

Or how he planned to have the latest Mother protagonist in Melee but didn't, with Lucas ending up in Brawl.

Or how Wolf was considered in Melee and ended up in Brawl.

Or how a trainer was considered for Melee but wasn't implemented with Red ended up in Brawl.

N3ON

Gone Exploring
BRoomer
You mean like how he revisited the Diddy-Dixie tag team idea?
You can't reject the whole notion of previously planned/cut content still carrying a bit more weight than normal just because not every single planned idea has been returned to. Sakurai has followed up on more than a handful...

That said, I don't think we're going to be getting Toon Zelda at this point. My hopes just lie with a notably changed Ganondorf.

False Sense

Ad Astra Per Aspera
NNID
FalseSense
3DS FC
3368-2599-3209
You can't reject the whole notion of previously planned/cut content still carrying a bit more weight than normal just because not every single planned idea has been returned to. Sakurai has followed up on more than a handful...

That said, I don't think we're going to be getting Toon Zelda at this point. My hopes just lie with a notably changed Ganondorf.
I'm well aware that it's not absolute proof. But at the same time, I don't think that just because Sakurai likes to revisit old ideas, that all of the sudden means that almost every character planned for previous games will make it in.

Autumn ♫

I'm terrible with these Custom Titles.
I was thinking more like how Mewtwo, Bowser and Dedede were all planned for 64 and two out of three of them ended up as playable in Melee, with Dedede being considered but ultimately disregarded in favour of Ganondorf, Falco, Dr. Mario, Pichu Young Link and Roy.

Or how he planned to have the latest Mother protagonist in Melee but didn't, with Lucas ending up in Brawl.

Or how Wolf was considered in Melee and ended up in Brawl.

Or how a trainer was considered for Melee but wasn't implemented with Red ended up in Brawl.
Wouldn't Villager account for this? And with the return of Mewtwo and very possibly Roy, I think this makes up for Sakurai's previous plans.

Gunla

It's my bit, you see.
Administrator
BRoomer
Writing Team
OR we have a separate Toon Zelda and a separate Tetra. :troll:
Personally, I would not have a problem with this.
Remember we got 25 characters in Melee because Dedede was cut early stage, leading to 6 clones.
Sometimes the more is the merrier.

Though remember, at this point, there's still the Dorf to think about.

TheLastJinjo

Banned via Warnings
As a fourth newcomer, I guess he's fine. But I don't expect DK to jump from 2 characters to 6.
6? No I mean as the fourth character. I think he has a decent chance as being the fourth total character. Alongside either Dixie or K. Rool.

Last edited by a moderator:

N3ON

Gone Exploring
BRoomer
I'm well aware that it's not absolute proof. But at the same time, I don't think that just because Sakurai likes to revisit old ideas, that all of the sudden means that almost every character planned for previous games will make it in.
No, people saying that just because they were planned they will be included are wrong... but outright dismissing characters that have been planned previously isn't smart either given precedent. Sure many have pretty mediocre chances, but being a character that actually made it into some stage of development previously is worth keeping in mind when trying to predict the enigma that is Sakurai. :p

TheLastJinjo

Banned via Warnings
I think Funky wouldn't get in before Dixie, K. Rool, or even Kranky. Though I'd love a surfboard moveset.
I think he'd get in over Cranky pretty easily. And then again, nobody thought Rosalina would get in over Bowser Jr or Toad. Not saying that surprises automatically get in over more important characters, but it's something to keep in mind.

N3ON

Gone Exploring
BRoomer
I think Funky wouldn't get in before Dixie, K. Rool, or even Kranky. Though I'd love a surfboard moveset.
Joined the Kremlings, has he? :p

I would agree though, all three have more going for them, and Funky's only real shot this time is probably as a DK semi-clone, which doesn't make a whole lot of sense as Dixie could just be a Diddy semi-clone instead.

I hope he's an AT. Though not before Rambi.

AEMehr

Mii Fighter
That doesn't make sense. What about all the unique newcomers in Brawl? And the returning clones in Smash 4?
Why is that Dixie can't be a semi-clone while Krystal can. Krystal has more going for her when it comes to unique moveset potential, having a weapon never used in Smash before.
I mean sure Dixie has her hair, but in the end a lot of her basic attacks will most likely be the exact same thing as Diddy's if not incredibly similar. Krystal has another form of attacking through her staff, but she wouldn't use it for some reason because she only used it in one game?? Nobody really every imagined Little Mac to have the KO Uppercut from Super Punch-Out!! That was only from one game too.

This confuses me.

Last edited:

TheLastJinjo

Banned via Warnings
I highly doubt he'd be the 4th DK character, Dixie, K.Rool, and Cranky are leagues ahead of him.
I disagree with Cranky being ahead of him. And I would use more than just leagues as an argument. Otherwise we'd have characters like Genesect and Bowser Jr.

It's not a situation of like Ike VS Eirika.

N3ON

Gone Exploring
BRoomer

TheLastJinjo

Banned via Warnings
Why is that Dixie can't be a semi-clone while Krystal can. Krystal has more going for her when it comes to unique moveset potential, having a weapon never used in Smash before.
I mean sure Dixie has her hair, but in the end a lot of her basic attacks will most likely be the exact same thing as Diddy's if not incredibly similar.

This confuses me.
What? Why would Dixie not be a semi-clone??? Who said Dixie can't be a semi-clone?

N3ON

Gone Exploring
BRoomer
If Chrom can be original (and he can be), Dixie can be original. As long as Sakurai can pull movesets out of thin air, no character has to be a semi-clone...

AEMehr

Mii Fighter
What? Why would Dixie not be a semi-clone??? Who said Dixie can't be a semi-clone?
Oh.
The way you worded it made it seem like you said otherwise.

KEEP CALM
CARRY ON

...Although, I am still curious as to why you have claimed that Krystal wouldn't use her staff. Would you care to quickly elaborate on that again for me?

Last edited:

Knowwuh

Smash Cadet
What do you think of the unconfirmed characters of the leak?
Pac-Man. I'm down. Mario + Sonic + Mega Man + Pac-Man in one game would have blown my ten year old mind.
Mii. I have no desire to play as a Mii, but I would enjoy beating up a Mii. I'd always hoped Miis would be the SSB4 equivalent of the Fighting Polygon Team/Fighting Wire Frames/Fighting Alloy Team. The Fighting Miis in Multi-man Massacre Mode
Palutena. Hell yes.
Shulk. Sure.
Chrom. Fine.
Chorus Men. I'd prefer the Rhythm Heaven wrestler, but that's just me.

TheLastJinjo

Banned via Warnings
I would agree though, all three have more going for them, and Funky's only real shot this time is probably as a DK semi-clone, which doesn't make a whole lot of sense as Dixie could just be a Diddy semi-clone instead.
A Donkey clone? Funky doesn't do what Donkey does. Sure he has similar body structure, but so do Rosalina and Ike. They didn't become clones because they don't have the same abilities.

The only time a character has really become a clone for the sole reason of body structure was Ganondorf. And that was a last minute situation.

...Although, I am still curious as to why you continue to claim that Krystal wouldn't use the staff. Would you care to quickly elaborate on that again for me?
Sure, but I don't want to debate it, because I've been over it before.

• The staff is not relevant to her current character or her current design. (keep in mind irrelevant abilities have never surpassed a single move, so her staff wouldn't really be more than a Final Smash)
  • Sakurai doesn't acknowledge Diddy Kong Racing DS and Star Fox Adventures. So a character entirely based on Star Fox Adventures I do not see happening just for the sole purpose of being slightly unique.
  • She's purely identical to Fox in both body structure and abilities. More so than Falco and Wolf.
So that's my summed up take on it. Btw did you get my Beasts & Louie request?

TheLastJinjo

Banned via Warnings
Didn't you say in order to be a clone the character has to be capable of using the abilities of the character they're cloning? I don't think Dixie ever used a jetpack or a peanut popgun.
You have to be able to perform enough of them. Not all of them. And Dixie's gum functions pretty similarly to Diddy's popgun in Brawl.

Wouldn't Ganondorf prove that this is wrong though?
  1. He was an exception. A last minute clone in a game full of phoned in clones.
  2. He can punch and kick and grab.

Will

apustaja
Switch FC
SW-7573-2962-2407
Didn't you say in order to be a clone the character has to be capable of using the abilities of the character they're cloning? I don't think Dixie ever used a jetpack or a peanut popgun.
Isn't that pretty much the ONLY difference?

D

Deleted member

Totally expecting Sakurai to come out and claim that he didn't add these characters for cheap novelty despite him almost certainly not looking to Rhythm Heaven for newcomers unless he was looking for precisely cheap novelty.
As opposed to making a fighting style centered around rhythm by looking into a notable franchise that's all about rhythm for a character idea?
It's as much "cheap novelty" as Wii Fit Trainer and Villager. :rolleyes:

Jetpack? Barrel Blast.
Popgun? Tropical Freeze. It's a Gumball Popgun, but it works just the same.

False Sense

Ad Astra Per Aspera
NNID
FalseSense
3DS FC
3368-2599-3209
You have to be able to perform enough of them. Not all of them. And Dixie's gum functions pretty similarly to Diddy's popgun in Brawl.

1. He was an exception. A last minute clone in a game full of phoned in clones.
  2. He can punch and kick and grab.
What about Rosalina? Couldn't she have easily performed the vast majority of Peach's move without much difficulty?

TumblrFamous

Smash Hero
Switch FC
SW-8429-6803-3691
I have no problem the way Ganondorf is being portrayed, as a heavyweight melee-attacker. However, I just don't like him as a clone. If they can just get his moveset different from Falcon I'd be fine. Maybe throw in a bit of magic, and kicks/punches that aren't "Dark Falcon kicks/punches".

TheLastJinjo

Banned via Warnings
What about Rosalina? Couldn't she have easily performed the vast majority of Peach's move without much difficulty?
No Parasol
No Vegetables
No Sports Equipment
No jumbo ass

So is not being able to perform 3 moves the point where they can't be a clone (referring to Rosalina).
Pretty much. If you only share one special, what's the point in replicating the rest of the Smash attacks.

Like Ike.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom