• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Character Discussion Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

Substitution

Deacon Blues
NNID
MisterVideo
If anything. I say Ness.
At least a better recovery and Smashes would help. More reach would be glorious.
Maybe even giving him a faster PSI Magnet and getting rid of the additional 10 frames of lag he got.

Last edited:

TheLastJinjo

Banned via Warnings
What about a New Newcomer: Monsters & Louie

Louie uses beasts instead of Pikmin.

His Bulbmin types: Bulborb, Orange Bulborb, Bulbear, Snow Bulborb, Fiery Bulblax. Bumbling Snitch bug as his upward special, and Titan Dweevil as his Final Smash.

Differences from Olimar include: Bulbmin do not latch on to characters. Fiery Bulblaxes create a fire elemental attack, Snowy Bulborbs create an Ice effect, and Bulbears follow you.

I think it's a little bit of a stretch considering it's mostly an idea, but it seems like a somewhat plausible one to me.

Louie G.

Smash Hero
Louie uses beasts instead of Pikmin.
I'd prefer to use a whopping hammer, actually. :troll:

But Saturn, you said yourself.
"They gotta do what they do in the game."
You say it all the time. Rosalina can't do this because she doesn't use it in canon.
Krystal can't do that because who knows why.
Louie never uses beasts, I'm a gentle folk.

TheLastJinjo

Banned via Warnings
[OBJECTION!]
The KO Uppercut belonged to Little Mac in Super Punch-Out!! Not Little Mac in Punch-Out!! (Wii)
[TAKE THAT!]

The move itself is, as I said, a pretty pivotal part of his moveset. His entire gameplay mechanic sort of centers around it. It's more than just one move.
Being a unique move does not make your entire character center around it. You keep saying that and that more than one of his moves is the KO Uppercut. Yet you provide no evidence.

I imagine that this was because you didn't cringe when you looked at a Model from Command. Besides the only visual representation that game got was a Falco trophy. It isn't exactly anything to be proud of you know.
Besides why would Sakurai hate Star Fox Adventures?? It's sort of a baseless claim.
It's also a non existent claim. I never said he hated it. I said he ignores it. And that's not a baseless claim if you've played Brawl.

I proved you wrong here, whether that becomes a part of her moveset is irrelevant. She still can use telepathy, which is something Fox can't do. So she does have abilities Fox doesn't have. Which was why I pointed that out.
I said she has all of Fox's abilities. I didn't say those were the only ones they had. So what's irrelevant is the DIFFERENCES she has. Just like Toon Link, Lucas, and Ganondorf's differences were irrelevant.

I'd prefer to use a whopping hammer, actually. :troll:

But Saturn, you said yourself.
"They gotta do what they do in the game."
You say it all the time. Rosalina can't do this because she doesn't use it in canon.
Krystal can't do that because who knows why.
Louie never uses beasts, I'm a gentle folk.
Except Louie uses Bulbmin, Titan Dweevil, and gets abducted by Bumbling Snitch bugs in Pikmin 2. And I like your "Who knows why" quote. Proof that you intentionally ignore my evidence so you don't have to be wrong.

Kind of like how you intentionally twist my words to make them sound illogical. Knowing full well that's not what I said. Just so you can make it sound like you're right. Which if I'm correct is "denial".

Last edited by a moderator:

N3ON

Gone Exploring
BRoomer
What do you think of the unconfirmed characters of the leak?
Mii: Ugh. Bleh. No thanks. But I'm sure they'll be getting in regardless of the leak's validity, and they're huge, so I've made my peace with it.

Pac-Man: Since KOS-MOS and Klonoa have no chance whatsoever, I'm fine with Pac. He's an afterthought to me; with Sonic and Mega Man confirmed, anything else is gravy, we have what's important. He'll fit in well, but I could care less if he's actually included. I don't see him not making it though. Some of the rage here will be delicious at least.

Palutena: Yay! I have very little doubt she wouldn't be playable at this point even without the leak. And she's my favourite KI character, so I'm psyched. With the relentless hinting I'd guess she'd probably be one of the next to be revealed. At least by E3. It'll also be interesting to see if her actual model lines up with the leak.

Shulk: A great victory for demanding fanboys everywhere, who knows where he'd be without the west making their little uproar. I'm sure his inclusion will help jack up the price of his game even more. :p
But he's the only other character that makes this leak tolerable for me. Getting a volley of Xenoblade content will be very satisfying. Too bad he'll be a Link clone, what with his hair colour and weapon choice... :smirk:

Chorus Men: If there's only going to be a single Chorus Man I'll be complaining, because having three little bowtied fighters Smashing together is an idea too adorable to pass up. Still not thrilled about series getting a character primarily because of the series instead of the character itself. Rhythm Heaven does deserve some attention though.

Chrom: Diversity will take a hit, Smash will perpetuate the notion that FE is only blue-haired sword-wielders and IS will respond in kind with future blue-haired sword-wielders that will get into Smash and keep the cycle going. :p
What a boring choice.

Like I said, the semi-clone thing is just a double standard thing for people to hate a certain character.
That's very self-aware of you. Unfortunately people will always find a reason to hate on a certain character for one silly reason or another.

Close enough.
That's all I strive for. :p

A Donkey clone? Funky doesn't do what Donkey does. Sure he has similar body structure, but so do Rosalina and Ike. They didn't become clones because they don't have the same abilities.
They didn't become clones because they had enough going for them to make them original, priority inclusions. Funky does not. He's like fourth on a list we'll probably only get one from, and his only redeeming quality at this point is a similar body structure with DK, and the logical assumption he could have a moveset based on DK's, it's no big stretch.

You're coming at it from the angle that Funky actually has a chance as an original character, but he doesn't. The only real way he could fit onto this roster is if he was an easy inclusion made due to pressing time, in which he'd wind up as a semi-clone. Obv that's not going to happen, because... it's Funky.. he's AT material at best, but if he were to be included... there's his only opening.

The only time a character has really become a clone for the sole reason of body structure was Ganondorf. And that was a last minute situation.
So obviously there would be precedent for it happening again, unlikely as it might be. I believe that wasn't the sole reason though, popularity and a lack of other clone ideas were also given. But let's not act like Funky and DK are as dissimilar as Ganondorf and Captain Falcon.

Substitution

Deacon Blues
NNID
MisterVideo
Except Louie uses Bulbmin, Titan Dweevil, and gets abducted by Bumbling Snitch bugs in Pikmin 2. And I like your "Who knows why" quote. Proof that you intentionally ignore my evidence so you don't have to be wrong.
Listen bub. If we're getting a Pikmin newcomer, it'll be the President.
I will accept no one else.

Louie G.

Smash Hero
@SaturnGamer64
"Who knows why" was more of a reference to your ridiculous arguments against Krystal.
And according to you, since Louie looks and acts like Olimar, he's bound to be a semi-clone by the laws of Sakurai.
Aren't ya proud of me? I learn from the best, after all.

Morbi

Scavenger
Being a unique move does not make your entire character center around it. You keep saying that and that more than one of his moves is the KO Uppercut. Yet you provide no evidence.

It's also a non existent claim. I never said he hated it. I said he ignores it. And that's not a baseless claim if you've played Brawl.

I said she has all of Fox's abilities. I didn't say those were the only ones they had. So what's irrelevant is the DIFFERENCES she has. Just like Toon Link, Lucas, and Ganondorf's differences were irrelevant.

Little Mac's entire play-style does revolve around the uppercut knock out, inherently. You are building meter the entire time you are playing, you don't really need evidence. It is common sense.

Last edited:

Godzillathewonderdog

Smash Master
You know if we're not getting Ridley we better get King K. Rool. It would suck not having a new villain added, especially one so popular. Anyway, here's my new roster. I changed Ice Climbers to Ice Climber, you can choose to play as either Popo or Nana. I think making them as a duo might not work for the 3DS version. I could potentially be proven wrong this Thursday though. What are your thoughts of my roster?

Dark Phazon

Smash Hero
Warning Received
NO! Absolutely not! Jigglypuff is getting in for sure, there's absolutely no chance that they'd cut someone who's been playable from day 1. Mewtwo has the same chance of coming back as a snowman surviving in California during the summer. Shadow the Hedgehog is also highly requested, but he's unlikely, and Mewtwo can be ignored just as easily. This is coming from a shameful supporter of both characters
9k%3D-3.jpeg

*Psyduck have major headache from stupidity*
Psy....sigh...y....

Last edited:

TumblrFamous

Smash Hero
Switch FC
SW-8429-6803-3691

Kind of like how you intentionally twist my words to make them sound illogical. Knowing full well that's not what I said. Just so you can make it sound like you're right. Which if I'm correct is "denial".
In Louie's defense, Krystal does use the staff in Adventures. And Adventures was mentioned in her trophy in Brawl, so it's not like he's dismissing the game. Correct me if I'm wrong, though, I don't wanna look dumb.

Last edited:
D

Deleted member

Posting this here since it's something somewhat new to mention...

I would like to note something; we know little of what Sakurai thinks of a potential playable K. Rool from a Sakurai perspective.

With characters like Mewtwo, Mega Man, Ridley, Palutena, Little Mac, Isaac, Roy, Dixie Kong, Takamaru etc., we had an idea of what Sakurai though of them. He obviously sees Mewtwo and Roy as playable material, though not high enough to add over, Ridley as boss material, Mega Man as something to consider, etc. It's really hard to tell what Sakurai though of K. Rool, though. Unless I'm missing something, there's no comments Sakurai has made over K. Rool, there's no Assist Trophy/boss role that we're aware of and nothing indicating he had been planned for the previous games but cut due to time/technical constraints. Even with the revelation of Kremlings appearing in Smash Run, while it is very likely for K. Rool to show up in a larger role than a mere trophy, it still doesn't tell us either way if Sakurai sees K. Rool as playable material or not.

Knowing as little as we do about a potential playable K. Rool from a Sakurai perspective is interesting to say the least. The fact that little has been said is probably good news, but at the same time, it leaves us more in the dark with him than with other characters (and we're not typically a group who's accurate with character choices this time around).

TumblrFamous

Smash Hero
Switch FC
SW-8429-6803-3691
@SaturnGamer64
"Who knows why" was more of a reference to your ridiculous arguments against Krystal.
And according to you, since Louie looks and acts like Olimar, he's bound to be a semi-clone by the laws of Sakurai.
N30N, could you bend the rules just a bit for me and let me post a Z-snap gif?

For the record, no stance on this argument. I just love how sassy you're getting.

Substitution

Deacon Blues
NNID
MisterVideo
Welp, time to join this bandwagon!
Little Mac's entire play-style does revolve around the uppercut knock out inherently. You are building meter the entire time you are playing, you don't really need evidence. It is common sense.
I think the term you're looking for is "gimmick".
His gimmick is the uppercut. But it's not like his moveset revolves around it. That's like saying Wario's playstyle revolves around the fart.
His "play-style" is a ground based combo-oriented glass cannon that has powerful smashes but is pathetic in the air.

See the difference?

TheLastJinjo

Banned via Warnings
You're coming at it from the angle that Funky actually has a chance as an original character, but he doesn't. The only real way he could fit onto this roster is if he was an easy inclusion made due to pressing time, in which he'd wind up as a semi-clone.
"Yeah, that's what they all said" :rosalina:

There's no real reason to make Funky a clone when his niche has nothing to do with Donkey Kong's. I used Ganondorf as an example of a character who (like Funky) can perform all the same abilities as C. Falcon despite not sharing the same niche. Sakurai dismissed this because it was Melee.

I'm not arguing that Funky as a clone is preposterous. Because it can be done with no issues, but as you can see from me having Mach Rider on my roster, I don't adhere that the clone code is unbreakable. A lot of things were broken after the direct. Now of course I still think Krystal won't be more than a clone given that her Staff is insignificant and I think a lot of characters will still be dismissed as clones, but I don't think they all will.

What I'm trying to say is, I believe in exceptions. And Funky is a clear exception as he is not a brute like Donkey Kong.

Obv that's not going to happen, because... it's Funky.. he's AT material at best, but if he were to be included... there's his only opening.
It's Rosalina and Greninja. AT and Pokeball at best.

I find your dismisall of Funky as a character with no chance to be extremely ignorant after the last direct.

TumblrFamous

Smash Hero
Switch FC
SW-8429-6803-3691
Hey, I have a question about Rosalina?

Her dash is her floating close to the ground. Does this make her immune to Diddy's Bananas? Because that can give her some slight advantage.

Last edited:

False Sense

Ad Astra Per Aspera
NNID
FalseSense
3DS FC
3368-2599-3209
Hey, I have a question about Rosalina?

Her dash is her floating close to the ground. Does this make her immune to Diddy's Bananas? Because that can give her some slight advantage.
I'm doubtful of that. I think it's just a stylistic thing. Mewtwo did a similar thing in Melee and he was still affected by items on the ground. I don't know about banana peels, but I'd assume it'd work similarly.

N3ON

Gone Exploring
BRoomer
View attachment 12771

*Psyduck have major headache from stupidity*
Psy....sigh...y....
Please don't make posts like this. If you disagree, try expressing that through means other than insults and randomness.

N30N, could you bend the rules just a bit for me and let me post a Z-snap gif?

For the record, no stance on this argument. I just love how sassy you're getting.
You know if I said alright there'd be no end to others in my face wanting to bend the rules. :p

TheLastJinjo

Banned via Warnings
Exactly. You refused to accept them and dismiss them as nonsensical and pretend that the argument was something else entirely because you don't want to be wrong. That's denial.

That's what I said. Notice how you're lying by pretending I said he wouldn't be a semi-clone when I actually implied that he WOULD be.

I'm not proud of you and you haven't learned anything. You just dismiss and deny everything you don't like and are dishonest about what you quote. It's vile.

TumblrFamous

Smash Hero
Switch FC
SW-8429-6803-3691
You know if I said alright there'd be no end to others in my face wanting to bend the rules. :p
Oh, but I'm your favorite though...

Anyway, looking at the Rosalina trailer, part of her dress is a bit on the ground, so I guess she'd just trip. Smash logic, I guess.

Godzillathewonderdog

Smash Master
[OBJECTION!]
The KO Uppercut belonged to Little Mac in Super Punch-Out!! Not Little Mac in Punch-Out!! (Wii)
[TAKE THAT!]

The move itself is, as I said, a pretty pivotal part of his moveset. His entire gameplay mechanic sort of centers around it. It's more than just one move.
The Star Uppercut actually originated in the original Punch-Out for the arcade. The meter used in Smash is even based on this version, it's the same design, unlike the SNES version.

Last edited:

TumblrFamous

Smash Hero
Switch FC
SW-8429-6803-3691
In Louie's defense, Krystal does use the staff in Adventures. And Adventures was mentioned in her trophy in Brawl, so it's not like he's dismissing the game. Correct me if I'm wrong, though, I don't wanna look dumb.
Can someone vouch for me on this? I want to see this be responded to.

Morbi

Scavenger
Can someone vouch for me on this? I want to see this be responded to.
I will champion you, good sir!

"A member of the Star Fox team welcomed in Star Fox Adventures after the team met her on planet Sauria when responding to a distress signal. Krystal is capable of telepathy and is a valuable member in combat. After becoming romantically involved with Fox, their relationship gets very rocky in Star Fox Command."

TheLastJinjo

Banned via Warnings
"A member of the Star Fox team welcomed in Star Fox Adventures after the team met her on planet Sauria when responding to a distress signal. Krystal is capable of telepathy and is a valuable member in combat. After becoming romantically involved with Fox, their relationship gets very rocky in Star Fox Command."
Totally makes up for lack of Trophies and Stages. That's like claiming Sonic & SEGA All-Stars Racing pays major tribute to Diddy Kong Racing because it's mentioned in Banjo's profile.

FlareHabanero

Banned via Warnings
That's very self-aware of you. Unfortunately people will always find a reason to hate on a certain character for one silly reason or another.
Well, I was being serious here.

It's like, King Dedede and Kirby share an inhale attack, Charizard and Bowser share a fire breath attack, and Marth and Ike share a counter attack, but nobody bats an eye. Hell some animations are very similar to each other for standard attacks, like Zamus and Sonic sharing a very similar down aerial or Ness and Mario sharing a similar forward tilt.

Louie G.

Smash Hero
I deny everything I don't like?
Am I in denial about Ridley?
About Miis? Pac-Man?
Am I against Louie? Am I a diehard Krystal fanboy?
No, no, no, no, no.
To say that I ignore what I don't like is false. I don't like your arguments, and I comment on those. :troll:

Seriously though, I think Krystal COULD work as a semi-clone, and Louie COULD make it in.
I know your arguments enough to use your logic against you. How's that for ignoring?
I think you're the one who dismisses ideas they don't like.
I don't like Krystal, let's dismiss her as a semi-clone.
Chrom? No... He doesn't even have a chance!
Come on man, I'm very fair in my logic and arguments. If I agree with something I show it. If I don't I show that too.

TheLastJinjo

Banned via Warnings
Well, you were arguing that Sakurai doesn't acknowledge Adventures. And he has here, so it kinda makes your point invalid.
It's not my fault that you purposely pretended like you didn't know what I meant.

Morbi

Scavenger
Welp, time to join this bandwagon!

I think the term you're looking for is "gimmick".
His gimmick is the uppercut. But it's not like his moveset revolves around it. That's like saying Wario's playstyle revolves around the fart.
His "play-style" is a ground based combo-oriented glass cannon that has powerful smashes but is pathetic in the air.

See the difference?
Sorry; I was in a different thread, my notification didn't tell me about this response. I was just affirming the notion that it was pivotal to his character, I shouldn't have used the phrase "play-style."

BKupa666

Barnacled Boss
As opposed to making a fighting style centered around rhythm by looking into a notable franchise that's all about rhythm for a character idea? It's as much "cheap novelty" as Wii Fit Trainer and Villager. :rolleyes:
If his decision-making process in adding the Chorus Men was creating a gimmick, then searching for characters specifically meant to perform that gimmick, as appears to be the case based on my interpretation, it does come across as "cheap novelty." Same goes for WFT, albeit with the process being to search specifically for characters wanted by no one in her case.

I personally don't categorize Villager as a shock character, though, since the inclusion of a reasonably popular character from a character-driven franchise is straightforward enough. He comes across as being chosen as an individual first and foremost, then fleshed out with a moveset, rather than chosen due to winning Sakurai's shock character lottery.

On a different subject, in the wake of the Kremlings' reveal, I keep seeing phrases pop up like...

"Duh, obviously the Kremlings were added because they're Donkey Kong enemies, K. Rool is affected as much as Tiki Tong is affected."

Do you all realize how heavily you are leaning, nay, piggybacking off of hindsight with such statements? You sound like the people who claimed (and still claim) that people were guessing WFT for E3 2013 left and right, just because you now see her in front of you. The developers could have easily stuck in just Tikis and called it a day for Donkey Kong enemies; I bet many of you would have predicted that this happen because of "relevance." No, there was a vested interest in reintroducing Kremlings into the mode, which, no, does not mean K. Rool is a lock for playability, but certainly guarantees some appearance or another from him, which is an improvement from what he may have had otherwise.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom