• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Character Discussion Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

False Sense

Ad Astra Per Aspera
NNID
FalseSense
3DS FC
3368-2599-3209
Why are people still expecting shoo-ins? That shouldn't even be a thing anymore. All the rosters are so boring.
Yeah, we need less rosters with Chrom on it. Robin's clearly the obvious non-obvious choice.

False Sense

Ad Astra Per Aspera
NNID
FalseSense
3DS FC
3368-2599-3209
So... how about this roster?

Wish Roster.png

Not exactly a prediction roster, as I don't really think Ridley and Robin are more than likely, but I think it's still within reasonable possibility. Thoughts?

False Sense

Ad Astra Per Aspera
NNID
FalseSense
3DS FC
3368-2599-3209
All I'm gonna say is "Where the heck is Shulk?"
Well, I guess he just didn't make the cut. He's not some guarantee, after all. It's perfectly plausible that he just won't get in, for whatever reason.

Godzillathewonderdog

Smash Master
Well, I can tell you are just refusing to be rational or listen to reason.

"Nope! No Funky! No chance whatsoever! Dixie and K. Rool are better. Funky can't get in."

So I'll just debunk you're dismissive arguments and be done with it.

She had a major appearance in 3D World, which for all we know was not influential. Even if it was, that clearly wasn't enough for anyone here. People still said she wouldn't get in over Bowser Jr and Toad. And Funky's not popular? He may not be requested, but he's a ****ing popular character.

You're saying his role does not compare to Dixie and Cranky. What about Rosalina's role compared to Toad and Bowser Jr. You clearly haven't learned anything from past reveals. You're still hell bent and not accepting ANY character even REMOTELY less important than the "next in line" characters. You won't even admit that Funky has ANY chance WHATSOEVER. But, Cranky??? Sure, I mean after all he was playable once. That automatically makes him WAY more important than Funky despite that they are both just supporting characters and Funky has more potential and spin off appearances.

I'd say Funky was more popular than Greninja. Smash and Non Smash based.

Oh, right. Because your move set is based on how important you are.

I can't prove to you that one character will make it over the other. I thought Paper Mario and Genesect would make it in over Rosalina and Greninja. But, they didn't.

Funky has a chance of getting in because he is popular and has a lot of potential that would be more unique than Dixie and K. Rool. I never claim he's more important, but he is important and less important characters have triumphed before.

Again, I'm not arguing that Funky can't be a clone, I would never be so naive. I just believe there are exceptions in cases where some characters warrant them and I'm sure you do too based on the arguments I've had with you. I don't believe Donkey's move set fits Funky's like say Krystal would fit Fox. You can argue with me why Mach Rider would be a clone and I'm not going to counter argue with a point that necessarily defeats yours.

But, I'm not going off of blind faith. I feel that Mach Rider is important enough to be exempt and I think Funky Kong's difference in his niche is enough to be exempt. I believe that some characters can be exempt in certain situations. I've even come to accept that Chrom likely would be exempt given his sword weight and being the only lord in Smash to have different stances.

And to be honest, even if Funky CAN do what Donkey does, he never does. That's not his niche. Every other clone still shared the niche with their characters with the exception of Ganondorf who was a phoned in character. Again, that doesn't automatically debunk the claim he'd be a clone. But, it is a valid argument to say that he's not doomed to be one and can likely be exempt from it.

Things change in Smash. It's irritating that you can't come to accept that after the reveals. If you want to argue about the clone thing though that's fine. But, I'm not going to argue with you about Funky's merits because you clearly will accept nothing other than to believe he has none and no character with less merits can get in over another. Despite that they have.
Funky wouldn't get in before Dixie and K. Rool, much like how Rosalina wouldn't get in before Peach and Bowser.

MAGMIS

Smash Journeyman
So... how about this roster?

View attachment 12780

Not exactly a prediction roster, as I don't really think Ridley and Robin are more than likely, but I think it's still within reasonable possibility. Thoughts?
Like the roster especially takamaru being in it. However IMO Ridley and k rool are perfect for stage bosses. Bowser been already in the game too late to add him now as a boss.

TheLastJinjo

Banned via Warnings
Funky wouldn't get in before Dixie and K. Rool, much like how Rosalina wouldn't get in before Peach and Bowser.
King K. Rool has been replaced by villians before and Dixie has been replaced by heroes before. Peach and Bowser have not.

The only time I can think of was Super Mario Land.

Last edited by a moderator:

False Sense

Ad Astra Per Aspera
NNID
FalseSense
3DS FC
3368-2599-3209
Like the roster especially takamaru being in it. However IMO Ridley and k rool are perfect for stage bosses. Bowser been already in the game too late to add him now as a boss.
I would rather that bosses not be the main villains of franchises and instead be minor, but recognizable enemies that would never really fit as a playable character. Ridley and K. Rool, much like Bowser, are too significant to be less than playable, in my opinion. Even if Ridley is a boss still...

TheLastJinjo

Banned via Warnings
I would rather that bosses not be the main villains of franchises and instead be minor, but recognizable enemies that would never really fit as a playable character. Ridley and K. Rool, much like Bowser, are too significant to be less than playable, in my opinion. Even if Ridley is a boss still...
I always thought Ridley was more boss material if you ask me.

False Sense

Ad Astra Per Aspera
NNID
FalseSense
3DS FC
3368-2599-3209
I always thought Ridley was more boss material if you ask me.
That's fine. That's your opinion. For me though, I think Ridley is important enough to the Metroid series as a whole to deserve a playable role in Smash.

RadRedi

Smash Journeyman
I agree with @ False Sense False Sense here. Main villains (i.e. Bowser, K. Rool, Ganondorf, and Ridley) should be playable, assuming they're from a major franchise. Minor villains like King Boo and Kraid would make awesome boss battles, though.

FlareHabanero

Banned via Warnings
@ BKupa666 BKupa666

The main things holding the theory of looking outside of the Smash fanbase is the choices themselves being rather throw out there for Super Smash Bros. fans, but for a more casual audience or pandering for a different fanbase it's not as random. For example, Greninja's and Rosalina's inclusion clearly wasn't due to demand from the Super Smash Bros. fans, though keep in mind that both characters are popular in their respective fanbases. Greninja in particular doesn't even have the excuse of shoehorning the character due starring in the latest Pokemon movie like Lucario, at best all Greninja has is being the Pokemon for a minor side character. Also note how a large chunk of the newcomers cater to the casual market, with Wii Fit Trainer from the ever popular Wii Fit, Mii who appears in many titles, and Villager coming from Animal Crossing. In fact, I'd argue that only 4 of the characters we know about (including the Sal leak) actually do try and cater to the Super Smash Bros. fanbase, which are Mega Man, Little Mac, Palutena, and Shulk.

Though I suppose considering the majority of what the Super Smash Bros. fanbase wants themselves is already in the game, it would make sense to try and cater to a different audience this time around. This is why the majority of fans for Super Smash Bros. would of be satisfied with only 6 specific newcomers this time around (Little Mac, Mega Man, King K. Rool, Ridley, Mewtwo, Palutena) and would prefer minimal to no cuts.

Last edited:

False Sense

Ad Astra Per Aspera
NNID
FalseSense
3DS FC
3368-2599-3209
@ BKupa666 BKupa666

The main things holding the theory of looking outside of the Smash fanbase is the choices themselves being rather throw out there for Super Smash Bros. fans, but for a more casual audience or pandering for a different fanbase it's not as random. For example, Greninja's and Rosalina's inclusion clearly wasn't due to demand from the Super Smash Bros. fans, though keep in mind that both characters are popular in their respective fanbases. Greninja in particular doesn't even have the excuse of shoehorning the character due starring in the latest Pokemon movie like Lucario, at best all Greninja has is being the Pokemon for a minor side character. Also note how a large chunk of the newcomers cater to the casual market, with Wii Fit Trainer from the ever popular Wii Fit, Mii who appears in many titles, and Villager coming from Animal Crossing. In fact, I'd argue that only 4 of the characters we know about (including the Sal leak) actually do try and cater to the Super Smash Bros. fanbase, which are Mega Man, Little Mac, Palutena, and Shulk.

Though I suppose considering the majority of what the Super Smash Bros. fanbase wants themselves is already in the game, it would make sense to try and cater to a different audience this time around. This is why the majority of fans for Super Smash Bros. would of be satisfied with only 6 specific newcomers this time around (Little Mac, Mega Man, King K. Rool, Ridley, Mewtwo, Palutena) and would prefer minimal to no cuts.
Miis aren't confirmed to be in the game. They're not inevitable, you know.

TheLastJinjo

Banned via Warnings
You had him on your roster for months...
Which automatically means that I think he should be a playable character. I don't think Charizard should be a playable character, but he's on my roster too.

I make PREDICTION rosters. Not wishlists.

Last edited by a moderator:

BKupa666

Barnacled Boss
Yeah, but that just seems...

Flip-floppity.
Wii Fit Trainer was always a guessable character for E3 2013.

Kremlings were always obvious enemies to include in SSB4.

We have always been at war with Eastasia.

...couldn't resist, I have a soft spot for Orwellian literature.

Last edited:

Gunla

It's my bit, you see.
Administrator
BRoomer
Writing Team
...So, what would make it interesting? Do you want Miis on there, or something?
This right here. Either people play ultra-safe and others complain it's not special, or people complain about speculators being far too out there, and that they should be reasonable and ultra-safe.
And then balanced rosters are straight up ignored for not catering to either side. Or that they are missing "That one character."
It sickens me that a roster is shot down because of the safety in it. If people want to say we didn't get any safe picks this time around, Villager, Mega Man and Little Mac were pretty safe as a starter pre-E3. The others have mostly been unanticipated for various reasons.
(I'm not even sure where Miis lie anymore, honestly.)

BTW, I'd play that roster, False. Reasonable picks but with a spice.
Yeah, but that just seems...
Flip-floppity.
Like me if I was not including BWD on my roster?

Last edited:

BKupa666

Barnacled Boss
Come on, guys, leave it be. Funky deserves better than to be turned into a hated flavor-of-the-month running gag in this thread, along the lines of a Diskun or a Dry Bowser. He's too cool for to be brought down to that level.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom