• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Character Discussion Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

Hype Train

Woolly World hype!!
NNID
YesMann
3DS FC
0860-3788-1263
I hope I'm not derailing the thread too much, but I need to know this: Where does the Takamaru support come from? I've seen many people on here suggest that he should/will be added, but wasn't his game released exclusively in Japan? And then he went on to make some very minor cameo appearances, right? Am I missing something here? Why am I seeing him on so many roster predictions and the likes?

MAGMIS

Smash Journeyman
I would rather that bosses not be the main villains of franchises and instead be minor, but recognizable enemies that would never really fit as a playable character. Ridley and K. Rool, much like Bowser, are too significant to be less than playable, in my opinion. Even if Ridley is a boss still...
Hey maybe the game pad could act as a fifth player to play the bosses on each stage. Not full control just touchpad commands to control the bosses.

TheLastJinjo

Banned via Warnings
Come on, guys, leave it be. Funky deserves better than to be turned into a hated flavor-of-the-month running gag in this thread, along the lines of a Diskun or a Dry Bowser. He's too cool for to be brought down to that level.
Yeah, he's way more likely than people treat him. But, nobody wants to accept anything, but "next in line" characters. Even when less important characters have happened twice.

Of course that's to be expected.

Last edited by a moderator:

MAGMIS

Smash Journeyman
I hope I'm not derailing the thread too much, but I need to know this: Where does the Takamaru support come from? I've seen many people on here suggest that he should/will be added, but wasn't his game released exclusively in Japan? And then he went on to make some very minor cameo appearances, right? Am I missing something here? Why am I seeing him on so many roster predictions and the likes?
Because little Mac due to being popular over her not in Japan. So including takamaru is for Japan popularity side of a retro char rep. East vs west . Little Mac vs takamaru. That's sort of the theme people are launching at.

Jason the Yoshi

Watching Me, Wanting Me
Since it's Earth Day tomorrow, I'm making the craziest prediction ever by saying that Ness is confirmed in the morning. I wonder what's for DINNER

Last edited:

TumblrFamous

Smash Hero
Switch FC
SW-8429-6803-3691
Because little Mac due to being popular over her not in Japan. So including takamaru is for Japan popularity side of a retro char rep. East vs west . Little Mac vs takamaru. That's sort of the theme people are launching at.
That's not the sole reason he's being included in people's rosters. He's just, of the possible retro reps, the most popular and has the best fit in the game.

Last edited:

FlareHabanero

Banned via Warnings
Come on, guys, leave it be. Funky deserves better than to be turned into a hated flavor-of-the-month running gag in this thread, along the lines of a Diskun or a Dry Bowser. He's too cool for to be brought down to that level.
Well, it's sort of hard to do that sort of thing for a large chunk of characters considering the Nintendo Direct spoiled that.

But, hey, let's make Billy Hatcher that character just for the hell of it.

Hype Train

Woolly World hype!!
NNID
YesMann
3DS FC
0860-3788-1263
Is Takamaru popular in Japan?

Louie G.

Smash Hero
For DK, it's a lot different than Mario or Pokemon.
While those franchises are either pretty much complete (Mario) or can never be completed (Pokemon), DK is not even close to being complete, missing the main villain (K. Rool) and Dixie Kong.
Cranky Kong and Funky Kong are neat, but now isn't the time to add them.

Gunla

wow, gaming!
Administrator
BRoomer
Writing Team
But, hey, let's make Billy Hatcher that character just for the hell of it.
Wouldn't be a bad idea. Neither would Amigo.
That's not the sole reason he's being included in people's rosters. He's just, of the possible retro reps, the most popular and has the best fit in the game.
And also hasn't been brutally shackled by some other element that's noteworthy, unlike a few already. Poor Lip.
While those franchises are either pretty much complete (Mario) or can never be completed (Pokemon), DK is not even close to being complete, missing the main villain (K. Rool) and Dixie Kong.
Agreed. I think that there's at least some formula for some franchises. Some are complete as is, some aren't ever going to be, and some just need that attention they deserve.

Last edited:

kikaru

Smash Ace
Some small and insignificant country town, WA.
3DS FC
0705-2807-1422
For example, Greninja's and Rosalina's inclusion clearly wasn't due to demand from the Super Smash Bros. fan, though keep in mind that both characters are popular in their respective fanbases.
Course not, he's only one person on the Boards. :troll:

Though I suppose considering the majority of what the Super Smash Bros. fanbase wants themselves is already in the game, it would make sense to try and cater to a different audience this time around. This is why the majority of fans for Super Smash Bros. would of be satisfied with only 6 specific newcomers this time around (Little Mac, Mega Man, King K. Rool, Ridley, Mewtwo, Palutena) and would prefer minimal to no cuts.
One thing to consider is that often times we, the fans, don't even know what we actually have it in the end. How many people wanted Wii Fit Trainer, Game&Watch, Greninja, R.O.B., Ice Climbers, etc. before they all debuted?

And before the Sal leak how many people actually wanted Chorus Men or even a character from Rhythm Heaven?

But now how much of the fanbase actually enjoyed playing R.O.B., Ice Climbers, and/or G&W after their appearances and how many are going to start having a blast playing Greninja, Wii Fit, and possibily even Chorus Men? I would argue most of the fanbase have/will.

While certainly many would be satisfied with the situation you stated, the fans would still be satisfied with the adjustments to your situation, some even more so than others, such as the inclusion of Greninja even though his odds were perceived as relatively low. We often believe we know what we want in the next Smash Bros. game but in many aspects we truly don't know until it's sitting there in front of our eyes.

Last edited:

TheLastJinjo

Banned via Warnings
I would enjoy Funky personoally, but I think Dixie and King K. Rool need to come first. But, ya never know. Sakurai does a lot of controversial character choices and I think Funky Kong might be one that he'll make.

Louie G.

Smash Hero
I would enjoy Funky personoally, but I think Dixie and King K. Rool need to come first. But, ya never know. Sakurai does a lot of controversial character choices and I think Funky Kong might be one that he'll make.
I mean, I GUESS Funky is pretty popular from being the Meta Knight of Mario Kart Wii...
Just as an idea, for my 1000th post I wrote up a ridiculously long post about the chances of a certain underrated character I support.
Cough cough, Robin.

MAGMIS

Smash Journeyman
Course not, he's only one person on the Boards. :troll:

One thing to consider is that often times we, the fans, don't even know what we actually have it in the end. How many people wanted Wii Fit Trainer, Game&Watch, Greninja, R.O.B., Ice Climbers, etc. before they all debuted?

And before the Sal leak how many people actually wanted Chorus Men or even a character from Rhythm Heaven?

But now how much of the fanbase actually enjoyed playing R.O.B., Ice Climbers, and/or G&W after their appearances and how many are going to start having a blast playing Greninja, Wii Fit, and possibily even Chorus Men? I would argue most of the fanbase have/will.

While certainly many would be satisfied with the situation you stated, the fans would still be satisfied with the adjustments to your situation, some even more so than others, such as the inclusion of Greninja even though his odds were perceived as relatively low. We often believe we know what we want in the next Smash Bros. game but in many aspects we truly don't know until it's sitting there in front of our eyes.
So far the char they have added nobody really predicted them. Except the gematsu leaker before e3 2013

Last edited:

Gunla

wow, gaming!
Administrator
BRoomer
Writing Team
If Funky was in Smash, what colour would his background be?
They'd use his blue pants.
Because Sakurai's feeling all teal in color scheme this time around.
EDIT:semi-:4greninja:'d

Last edited:

Depressed Gengar

Hana Is Best Girl
While I am partially inclined to agree, Saturn is right that characters like Funky who are still notable deserve more credit than they get.

TheUnsullied

Smash Apprentice
Even though I am not opposed to the idea of King K Rool being in the game. I would have to disagree. I feel like the DK series is already saturated.

Swamp Sensei

Today is always the most enjoyable day!
BRoomer
NNID
Swampasaur
3DS FC
4141-2776-0914
Switch FC
SW-6476-1588-8392
Even though I am not opposed to the idea of King K Rool being in the game. I would have to disagree. I feel like the DK series is already saturated.
Two DK characters is saturated?

That's the same amount as Mother!

TheUnsullied

Smash Apprentice
Two DK characters is saturated?

That's the same amount as Mother!
Yeah, honestly I don't think the DK series has as much notoriety as you guys think it does. By having DK and Diddy in the game you already represent the core of the series very well and reflects well on where the game stands in people's minds today. The reason I'm not opposed to King K Rool is because I feel like the roster could use more villains. But adding Dixie or Cranky would just be overkill imo. That's just too many monkeys.

As for the mother series, I feel like Ness represents the core of the series very well already. I was extremely opposed to Lucas' addition to the roster back in the day but he ended up being my main (Oh the irony..)

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom