• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Character Discussion Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

Rebellious Treecko

Smash Hero
How the hell did fire emblem series get into Super smash bros in the first place. lol
I don't like any of those fire emblem games and they weren't that popular until they came in smash melee.
If anyone knows please do tell.
Same could be said for Mother. (Earthbound)

Last I checked, they were quite popular in Japan. Not as popular as the big series, but I think Mother and FE were considered notable around the late 90s/early 2000s.

----

Last edited:

MAGMIS

Smash Journeyman
Same could be said for Mother. (Earthbound)

Last I checked, they were quite popular in Japan. Not as popular as the big series, but I think Mother and FE were considered notable around the late 90s/early 2000s.

----
Another reason I think Mother was added because sakurai played that game and loved the series.

True Blue Warrior

Smash Hero
NNID
TrueBlueSM
3DS FC
2036-7619-4276
How the hell did fire emblem series get into Super smash bros in the first place. lol
I don't like any of those fire emblem games and they weren't that popular until they came in smash melee.
If anyone knows please do tell.
Marth and Ike were included due to popularity, Roy was included as a last-minute clone addition in Melee as Sakurai felt he stood out more as a Marth clone than Leif.

MAGMIS

Smash Journeyman
Marth and Ike were included due to popularity, Roy was included as a last-minute clone addition in Melee as Sakurai felt he stood out more as a Marth clone than Leif.
Marth and Ike were included due to popularity, 0.0. U talking about just japan or over here too. Cuz I can see myself not know anything about fire emblem, if smash didn't exist to begin with.

The Suit-less Ace

Smash Journeyman
3DS FC
2234-7574-2599
Paper Mario seems most likely in my opinion if you are thinking of a 6th Mario rep. The Paper Mario series is much different than the regular Mario series, which makes it much more likely for him to be a 6th Mario rep. Paper Mario is unique and he has interesting moveset options, and I think he would fit into smash very well. He could have the flipping mechanic and his hammer for smashes. Paper Mario isn't exactly "separate" from the Mario series but it is very different. They have a few trophies back in Brawl like Fracktail and Paper Bowser, so I really don't think he'll be ignored if Sakurai wants to add a 6th rep. He seems much more appropriate than Bowser Jr. Although Bowser Jr. would have a great moveset, maybe he could use his paintbrush or something.

Also, I've been thinking about K Rool a lot lately, and how I think his chances of being playable are a little bit underrated, since I don't really see any reason why he shouldn't be playable. Why wouldn't they put him in? Donkey Kong is an important part of Nintendo after all.

True Blue Warrior

Smash Hero
NNID
TrueBlueSM
3DS FC
2036-7619-4276
Marth and Ike were included due to popularity, 0.0. U talking about just japan or over here too. Cuz I can see myself not know anything about fire emblem, if smash didn't exist to begin with.
Japan for Marth. I believe Ike requests were international.

Morbi

Scavenger
I assume we'll see him the 29th for Mario Kart? What I'm hoping at least.
That is a good point; although...

Paper Mario seems most likely in my opinion if you are thinking of a 6th Mario rep. The Paper Mario series is much different than the regular Mario series, which makes it much more likely for him to be a 6th Mario rep. Paper Mario is unique and he has interesting moveset options, and I think he would fit into smash very well. He could have the flipping mechanic and his hammer for smashes. Paper Mario isn't exactly "separate" from the Mario series but it is very different. They have a few trophies back in Brawl like Fracktail and Paper Bowser, so I really don't think he'll be ignored if Sakurai wants to add a 6th rep. He seems much more appropriate than Bowser Jr. Although Bowser Jr. would have a great moveset, maybe he could use his paintbrush or something.

Also, I've been thinking about K Rool a lot lately, and how I think his chances of being playable are a little bit underrated, since I don't really see any reason why he shouldn't be playable. Why wouldn't they put him in? Donkey Kong is an important part of Nintendo after all.
Metal Mario is the better Mario representative because he is in Mario Kart 7 and Mario Kart 8. Paper Mario has never been in Mario Kart. If you are going to bring up the argument that paper beats rock, I am going to bring up the infamous Metal Mario isn't rock, he is metal evidence. Metal creates scissors, scissors beat paper. So don't even try that counter argument, buddy. I preemptively destroyed your perspective!
:substitute:

Last edited:

MAGMIS

Smash Journeyman
Warning Received

Metal Mario is the better Mario representative because he is in Mario Kart 7 and Mario Kart 8. Paper Mario has never been in Mario Kart. If you are going to bring up the argument that paper beats rock, I am going to bring up the infamous Metal Mario isn't rock, he is metal evidence. Metal creates scissors, scissors beat paper. So don't even try that counter argument, buddy. I preemptively destroyed your perspective!
XD

The Suit-less Ace

Smash Journeyman
3DS FC
2234-7574-2599
So, as I said before. Why wouldn't K Rool be playable?

What if it's Geno? :laugh:

Seriously though, I'd love King Boo or Bowser Jr.
I'd actually love if Geno was in.

Metal Mario can't make scissors though. He isn't Terminator 2. :troll:

TheLastJinjo

Banned via Warnings
Why does it have to be K. Rool? There is still Dixie you know. Whom I think is significantly more important than K. Rool.

False Sense

Ad Astra Per Aspera
NNID
FalseSense
3DS FC
3368-2599-3209
Why does it have to be K. Rool? There is still Dixie you know. Whom I think is significantly more important than K. Rool.
Well, he is the main villain of the Donkey Kong series, so he's had more of an impact than Dixie. Also, going by Sakurai's apparent patterns of adding characters, it seems to go main character -> main sidekick -> main villain -> something else.

AEMehr

Mii Fighter
No, Sakurai clearly knows that he won't cut anyone who was in from the beginning, JIgglypuff has nothing standing in her way! ARGUMENT INVALID
I just TOLD you that Ness WAS going to be cut.
Jigglypuff was on the chopping block in the LAST game.

Nobody is COMPLETELY safe, don't act like they are because Ness and Jigglypuff got lucky. Especially Ness.
And it's Sakurai's game! Fan desire he cares less about, except for MegaMan! (And no, do not say Sonic, because that was started by Yuji Naka, not fans)
:dedede::diddy::lucas::metaknight::olimar::pit::sonic::toonlink::wario::wolf:
From what I understand these were popularly requested characters Pre-Brawl (I've heard things along those lines, feel free to correct me where I am wrong here).
So far we've got two of the more requested characters, :4littlemac::4megaman:
It would make more sense to see more coming if we've only got two so far in comparison to Brawl's 10.
Mewtwo can be ignored just as easily as Shadow! ARGUMENT INVALID
Except you forget that Mewtwo is the MOST REQUESTED NEW* CHARACTER TO APPEAR IN SMASH BROTHERS WORLDWIDE.
While Shadow is A THIRD-PARTY CHARACTER THAT ALREADY HAS FRANCHISE REPRESENTATION IN SMASH BROTHERS AND WOULD NEVER GET IN BEFORE SONIC'S LUIGI, TAILS.
#muchrage
The Chorus boys probably won't replace Krystal, if by sheer miracle they come in, they'll replace Bayonetta. If even more luck we get another SEGA character, it's Tails
Or you know, neither Krystal nor Bayonetta will show up and the Chorus Kids will.
What makes you think that?
Famicom Remix 1+2 is to be released in Japan in Thursday.
But that's your opinion, which necessarily isn't the truth.

Last edited:

BKupa666

Barnacled Boss
What do you think of the unconfirmed characters of the leak?
Mii - Hate, and will always hate. I don't personally see how them allegedly being portrayed with personality in Tomodachi Life will translate to them not being soulless prop-spamming wastes of space in the different context of Smash. I respect those who enjoy the character, if you can call the Mii a character, but it's the absolute furthest thing from my cup of tea.

Pacman - I have no interest in the character, but will be happy for the victory his fans have achieved. They've eaten a lot of crap from people who do just outright distasteful things like go into their support thread and call out members for being unproductive in life, due to some being older fans of the character. They deserve a bit of sunshine in the wake of all the negativity. Also, so much for "Namco will not get any special treatment."

Palutena - Good, a solid character with a solid international fanbase. I don't consider her a victory for the fans, however, because, in spite of their numbers, Sakurai was always going to add this character because of his personal bias. His bias is a large reason why so much fanfare was made about Medusa and Magnus originally, before they had even ten seconds of trailer footage to their name. Palutena has branched beyond that, of course, but even if she hadn't, she'd still be in the game.

Chrom - Expected, most likely forgettable unless he has a stance-changing mechanic. Hopefully he doesn't replace Ike, because the last thing we need for the next game's speculation scene is a Fire Emblem cluster**k between Ike, Roy, New Lord With Uncanny Totally Coincidental Resemblance to Ike/Chrom, and More Palatable Character Who Isn't That New Lord, among the other minor side characters.

Shulk - Good for his fans, I'm excited to have his series' music in the game more than anything else.

Chorus Men - It's way too premature to deem these characters inherently a good, unique idea before they're even revealed. I don't care about them, although I'm not taken aback by their inclusion, given that I didn't expect WFT to be the only "shock" character. Totally expecting Sakurai to come out and claim that he didn't add these characters for cheap novelty despite him almost certainly not looking to Rhythm Heaven for newcomers unless he was looking for precisely cheap novelty.

Overall, I think it's a mediocre group of newcomers that, unless incomplete, will net a lot of "I'm okay with this roster" passing grades, so to speak, rather than "Holy hell, this is a great roster" accolades (cue inevitable hipsters parroting the latter to "prove me wrong").

AEMehr

Mii Fighter
Overall, I think it's a mediocre group of newcomers that, unless incomplete, will net a lot of "I'm okay with this roster" passing grades, so to speak, rather than "Holy hell, this is a great roster" accolades (cue inevitable hipsters parroting the latter to "prove me wrong").
Let us pray for DLC.

Gunla

It's my bit, you see.
Administrator
BRoomer
Writing Team
Well, DLC is possible.
Look at Awakening, surely they can take the opportunity for a triple A title.

Totally resonate with you right there. This leak feels slightly half baked.
Of course, I don't believe in the leak at all, as a given.

Last edited:

TheLastJinjo

Banned via Warnings
Why do you think Dixie is more important than K Rool?
She's a playable protagonist that appears as often as he does and often found alongside Donkey & Diddy. Basically if Sonic and Tails were in Smash, I think Knuckles would get in next before Eggman.

Last edited by a moderator:

TheLastJinjo

Banned via Warnings
But K. Rool thoooooo...
Seriously, K. Rool's chances top Dixie's at this point IMHO.
Nintendo is confirmed to care about Kremlings, so there's hope. And lots of it.
Nintendo confirmed to care about Tikis too. The Kremlings only increase K. Rool's chances. It doesn't put them over Dixie's.

False Sense

Ad Astra Per Aspera
NNID
FalseSense
3DS FC
3368-2599-3209
Nintendo confirmed to care about Tikis too. The Kremlings only increase K. Rool's chances. It doesn't put them over Dixie's.
There's also no sign of Tropical Freeze content. That might suggest that this game won't draw material from Tropical Freeze, which is one of Dixie's selling points.

Gunla

It's my bit, you see.
Administrator
BRoomer
Writing Team
How about they both have close or about the same chances overall?
That's how I see it. Each has their own draws and detractors. Each can be unique. Each is iconic.
Recency isn't the deciding factor. I'm prepped for both.
(Though IMO, K Rool has a bit of a better shot by a small margin.)

Last edited:

Louie G.

Smash Hero
Well there happen to be a few reasons why I think K. Rool will be chosen over Dixie.
Dixie is bound to be a semi-clone, no questions asked. Given how unique the newcomers have been so far, I'd be shocked to see a character (newcomer that is) who plays remotely similar to another. That's just me though.
K. Rool has a more vocal fanbase, one that I'm sure Sakurai is aware of and will likely screw with for a while, just like the others.
Kremlings certainly help.
Sakurai also said he wants to add more "classic" Nintendo characters (which by now I think is a load of crap), and although Dixie fits the bill, her main purpose would be Tropical Freeze I suppose. K. Rool is begging for a comeback, and I think Sakurai may give it to him. This doesn't necessarily help or hurt, it's just interesting to note.

TheLastJinjo

Banned via Warnings
Well there happen to be a few reasons why I think K. Rool will be chosen over Dixie.
Dixie is bound to be a semi-clone, no questions asked. Given how unique the newcomers have been so far, I'd be shocked to see a character (newcomer that is) who plays remotely similar to another.
That doesn't make sense. What about all the unique newcomers in Brawl? And the returning clones in Smash 4?

True Blue Warrior

Smash Hero
NNID
TrueBlueSM
3DS FC
2036-7619-4276
I would be surprised with Toon Zelda, but Dixie wouldn't surprise me. I'm wasn't saying Dixie is unlikely, but I just think K Rool has more priority.
I'm not. She's part of the Forbidden 7 and there is precedence for Sakurai revisiting ideas he has had in the past.

Last edited:

N3ON

Gone Exploring
BRoomer
Sakurai has typically always had the odd need to pad the roster with unoriginal characters, and I see no reason not to expect at least like, one new semi-clone this time as well, even with his focus on diversity and all. There's always been some semi-clone waiting in the shadows.

That said, just because I don't see a reason not to expect one doesn't mean I think we will without a doubt be getting one. We're far past the point of needing to pad the roster imo, but I would've said the same with Brawl, so who knows.

TheLastJinjo

Banned via Warnings
What about Funky Kong? I think he's more likely as an Assist Trophy, but I think he has a pretty decent chance as a fourth DK newcomer. He's a popular kong with a lot of potential.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom