• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Character Discussion Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

ultimatekoopa

Smash Ace
Both are highly unlikely at this point
Except you haven't give a single reason of why mewtwo is unlikely, Only 5 slots? Sakurai doesn't count slots but characters, I don't see what's the problem in adding 6 pkmn slots, No more slots than mario? There could still be a 6th mario rep for all we know, also we got 6 in brawl and we almost got 8 if you count the scrapped mewtwo and the electric duo, comparing mewtwo with shadow is like comparing ridley with spyro or king k rool with battletoads

D

Deleted member

No, Sakurai clearly knows that he won't cut anyone who was in from the beginning, JIgglypuff has nothing standing in her way! ARGUMENT INVALID

And it's Sakurai's game! Fan desire he cares less about, except for MegaMan! (And no, do not say Sonic, because that was started by Yuji Naka, not fans) Mewtwo can be ignored just as easily as Shadow! ARGUMENT INVALID
Mewtwo is even more popular of a request than Mega Man. If Mega Man can get in by popularity, why can't the most wanted character for this game?

And why shouldn't we use Sonic as an argument? Without the insanely strong push for Sonic's inclusion at the last minute (technically speaking), he would not have gotten in.

Jason the Yoshi

Watching Me, Wanting Me
anyone think Isaac may be in smash. Cuz I was wondering why is fire emblem more represented than golden sun. lol Golden sun char should've been in melee instead of fire emblem.
I kinda doubt it, but it's possible

@Super Smash Bros. Fan The REAL reason that Sonic was late to be revealed was because when Sakurai went back to SEGA to ask Yuji Naka if he still wanted Sonic in, Naka wasn't working for SEGA anymore, and his replacement REPEATEDLY refused to give Sakurai permission. Sakurai was very arrogant and delayed the game TWICE to buy more time to get Sonic in the game, and after a year and almost a half, SEGA finally gave in. He was planned from the beginning, not a last minute decision, so yes, fan desire has ABSOLUTELY NO MERIT!!!!

Last edited:

False Sense

Ad Astra Per Aspera
NNID
FalseSense
3DS FC
3368-2599-3209

@Super Smash Bros. Fan The REAL reason that Sonic was late to be revealed was because when Sakurai went back to SEGA to ask Yuji Naka if he still wanted Sonic in, Naka wasn't working for SEGA anymore, and his replacement REPEATEDLY refused to give Sakurai permission. Sakurai was very arrogant and delayed the game TWICE to buy more time to get Sonic in the game, and after a year and almost a half, SEGA finally gave in. He was planned from the beginning, not a last minute decision, so yes, fan desire has ABSOLUTELY NO MERIT!!!!
I can't say I've heard that story before. Do you have a source?

And even if that's true, that doesn't mean fan desire has no merit at all. It still doesn't explain Mega Man.

YeppersPeppers

Smash Journeyman
First time I've heard of this. Can you back that story up with some evidence?

SmasherMaster

Smash Lord
NNID
TelevisionGamer
I wonder if Torterra would be a cool playable character. That way, if added with Mewtwo and Jigglypuff, all of the Pokemon would have another Pokemon they are strong against. Plus, we would have 12 od the Pokemon types represented. (Fire, Water, Grass, Normal, Ground, Electric, Flying, Fighting, Physic, Dark, Steel, Fairy)

They would take more damage from the Pokemon they are weak against.

• Pikachu is strong against Charizard and Greninja, but weak against Torterra.
  • Lucario is strong against Greninja and Jigglpyuff, but weak to Mewtwo and Charizard.
  • Charizard is strong against Torterra and Lucario, but weak against Pikachu, Greninja and Jigglypuff?.
  • Greninja is strong against Mewtwo and Charizard, but weak to Torterra, Jigglypuff, Pikachu and Lucario.
  • Mewtwo is strong against Lucario, but weak to Greninja.
  • Jigglpyuff is strong against Lucario, Greninja and Charizard, but weak to Lucario.
  • Torterra is strong against Pikachu and Greninja, but is weak to Charizard.

Last edited:

*The Sensus Crustulum*

Smash Journeyman
YOU wanted me to do this!
But those reasons are neither GOOD or FACTS.
You forcing words into my mouths thinking the words that you say are true.
Dude, you just don't get it, do you? I'm saying this as a shameful supporter of both Mewtwo AND Shadow. It doesn't matter that Mewtwo's been showcased in a ton of movies lately, unless we get another Mario character to balance it out, there's only one more spot for a Pokemon character, and that spot belongs to Jigglypuff! Jigglypuff is in no danger of being cut, she won't be, she's a member of the original twelve roster.
There being only one more spot isn't true and is only what you think.
Jigglypuff being in isn't 100% guaranteed.
Stop acting like you can read Sakurai's mind.

If fan desire has no merit, why was Sonic in for the first place? :troll:

Last edited:

TheUnsullied

Smash Apprentice
If any of the original 12 is getting cut it's Jigglypuff.
Sad to say but she hasn't been very popular even in the smash series since the melee days.

Jason the Yoshi

Watching Me, Wanting Me
I can't say I've heard that story before. Do you have a source?

And even if that's true, that doesn't mean fan desire has no merit at all. It still doesn't explain Mega Man.
It was in an interview with Yuji Naka and another big shot guy from SEGA. The main reason that people wouldn't know about it is that not many bother to look up both sides of the story, I grew curious due to Sakurai being such a trickster all the time, so if you want honesty, you must research the problem quoting what SEGA said, not solely basing your knowledge on what Sakurai says. Sakurai has lied before, a lot

*The Sensus Crustulum*

Smash Journeyman
It was in an interview with Yuji Naka and another big shot guy from SEGA. The main reason that people wouldn't know about it is that not many bother to look up both sides of the story, I grew curious due to Sakurai being such a trickster all the time, so if you want honesty, you must research the problem quoting what SEGA said, not solely basing your knowledge on what Sakurai says. Sakurai has lied before, a lot
I can't say I've heard that story before. Do you have a SOURCE?

MAGMIS

Smash Journeyman
MY predictions for the returning characters are:

- at the bottom of each character quiz shown u will see 7 shadowed characters that's already in the game but could hint that there will be 7 newcomers. Sakurai did mention in a interview that he can't add a lot more characters than brawl did. Therefore

THE ONLY AND ALL RETURNING CHARACTERS SO FAR LEFT 90% SURE
1. Captain Falcon - We saw Samurai Goro @ Nintendo direct.
2. Ice Climbers - We saw the Polar Bear @ smash run video. They have Rosalina and Luma working on 3ds.
3. Wario - They still have Waluigi assist trophy and added a new one which is Ashley.
4. Ness - There was a pic of the day where it showed Earthbound items.
Also if u add all these 4 returning char the roster will have 21 returning char just like brawl did excluding third party char like sonic.

Last edited:

GodzillaMan

Smash Cadet
Jesus, guys I'm just a lurker and even I think it's just time we all just up and realize that Cliffjumper's skull is thicker than plate iron and just ignore them for Christ's sake.
Nothing anyone says is going to get through to them, and they will never back down from their inane positions like Krystal being a lock or Mewtwo having the same chance for this game as Shadow. Just ignore them and let them brew in their stupid and when the final roster comes out, we'll already have them ignored so we won't have to deal with the crying and whining.

Honestly, there really should be an age limit or an IQ test or something for who we allow into these forums because it's ****ing 9-year old Miiverse-level opinions like this and others that are just making this forum harder and harder to justify coming back to as the boards gets more and more polluted with them.

MAGMIS

Smash Journeyman
Jesus, guys I'm just a lurker and even I think it's just time we all just up and realize that Cliffjumper's skull is thicker than plate iron and just ignore them for Christ's sake.
Nothing anyone says is going to get through to them, and they will never back down from their inane positions like Krystal being a lock or Mewtwo having the same chance for this game as Shadow. Just ignore them and let them brew in their stupid and when the final roster comes out, we'll already have them ignored so we won't have to deal with the crying and whining.

Honestly, there really should be an age limit or an IQ test or something for who we allow into these forums because it's ****ing 9-year old Miiverse-level opinions like this and others that are just making this forum harder and harder to justify coming back to as the boards gets more and more polluted with them.
Am I one of those 9-year olds so you speak of?

SmasherMaster

Smash Lord
NNID
TelevisionGamer

- at the bottom of each character quiz shown u will see 7 shadowed characters that's already in the game but could hint that there will be 7 newcomers. Sakurai did mention in a interview that he can't add a lot more characters than brawl did. Therefore

2. Ice Climbers - We saw the Polar Bear @ smash run video. They have Rosalina and Luma working on 3ds.
3. Wario - They still have Waluigi assist trophy and added a new one which is Ashley.
Also if u add all these 4 returning char the roster will have 21 returning char just like brawl did excluding third party char like sonic.
So you think that seven newcomers are two Mario characters, an Animal Crossing character, a Legend Of Zelda character, a Pokemon character, and a Star Fox character?

D

Deleted member

I may know what you're talking about, let me dig it to see if I can find it.

MAGMIS

Smash Journeyman
So you think that seven newcomers are two Mario characters, an Animal Crossing character, a Legend Of Zelda character, a Pokemon character, and a Star Fox character?
Why 2 Mario char?????? lol

No I don't think its that I will tell you right my OPINION for the newcomers.

just read the char list and the reasons if u want to.
7 NEWCOMERS + 5 newcomers already shown to us
- WFT - Villager - LIttle mac - Greninja - Rosalina and Luma
excluding Megaman third party character. Which are 12 Newcomers like brawl had and Melee. Excluding (Wii fit Trainer & Mii) because I think he had to add those characters to represent them.

- Basing off a rumor from the same leaker who mentioned before the reveal of these characters which are WFT, Megaman, Villager, Little mac. Leaving Pac-man and Mii. The leaker then mentioned those 4 characters stated below before Nintendo direct (shulk to Chorus kids).
21 + 14 = 33 Characters.
+ 2 NEW third-party char (megaman & pacman) = 35 Total.
+ 2 not planned char by sakurai just added to represent parts of Nintendo ( Wii fit train & Mii) = 37 Total.

1. Shulk - Very popular "Xenoblade".
2. Palutena - It seems Palutena has been hinted quite a lot like Psuedo-Palutena Quiz trophy shown @ direct, also an image leak of her being in the 3ds version of the game.
3. Chrom - Seems pretty obvious and Tiki from fire emblem Quiz Trophy shown @ direct.
4. Chorus Kids from Rhythm Heaven- In my eyes looks like a replacement for Mr. Game and Watch. The leaker did know about W Fit Train being in the game. Therefore he could be right about this character too. Plus Sakurai <3 surprising us whether its good or bad.

- Based off the Quiz Trophy including Chrom and Palutena.
5. Anthony Higgs - Sakurai been representing Metroid Other M too much. So I'm wondering is he just doing that because his trying to add another character into the Metroid series. Also that King Ki Hunter Quiz Trophy shown @ direct. In addition they added the same stage where Anthony higgs fell in the game Metroid Other M against Ridley while trying to save Samus. Also this char feels like a replacement for Snake.
6. Ganondorf -Will have new moves making him a newcomer because captain falcon can be customized with custok move sets to become playable as brawl/melee version of ganon. Therefore i think that toon ganon will join which makes sense of why he added toon link even though his a clone of link and can be made through custom move sets. him because of the Fi Quiz trophy shown @ direct.

- My own guess and it could be either or,
7 . Takamaru from Nazo no Murasame - Sakurai did mention of adding more retro characters. His sort of the East vs West going on with Little mac.
OR
7. Lark or Goose from Pilotwings 64 - In the game they have Pilotwing 64 item and stage and the symbol.

2 Last Characters

The leaker mentioned those 2 along with Megaman, WFT, Villager, Little mac before e3 2013.
These aren't included as the seven NEWCOMERS because of excluding third party characters and Mii.
8. Pac-man - Seems like it because Namco is helping developing the game and they had assist trophies from a Namco game.
9. Mii - I'm hoping this isn't true and could possibly be just an extra slot. Mii may not even be playable in online.

TumblrFamous

Smash Hero
Switch FC
SW-8429-6803-3691

So theyre getting rid of Lucas, G&W, Ike, Jiggz, ROB, Falco, Wolf, Snake, Ganondorf, and Meta Knight?

TheUnsullied

Smash Apprentice
I just want it to be Ike. I believe Raidant Dawn's anniversary is today not sure so I guess that increases his chances. I just want it to be Ike so it deconfirm that Ike is cut.
Could be Ness though, since Mother's Day is soon.
Honestly I don't think Ike will be announced. He will just be a secret character in the game.

SmasherMaster

Smash Lord
NNID
TelevisionGamer
Why 2 Mario char?????? lol

No I don't think its that I will tell you right my OPINION for the newcomers.

just read the char list and the reasons if u want to.
7 NEWCOMERS + 5 newcomers already shown to us
- WFT - Villager - LIttle mac - Greninja - Rosalina and Luma
excluding Megaman third party character. Which are 12 Newcomers like brawl had and Melee. Excluding (Wii fit Trainer & Mii) because I think he had to add those characters to represent them.

- Basing off a rumor from the same leaker who mentioned before the reveal of these characters which are WFT, Megaman, Villager, Little mac. Leaving Pac-man and Mii. The leaker then mentioned those 4 characters stated below before Nintendo direct (shulk to Chorus kids).
21 + 14 = 33 Characters.
+ 2 NEW third-party char (megaman & pacman) = 35 Total.
+ 2 not planned char by sakurai just added to represent parts of Nintendo ( Wii fit train & Mii) = 37 Total.

1. Shulk - Very popular "Xenoblade".
2. Palutena - It seems Palutena has been hinted quite a lot like Psuedo-Palutena Quiz trophy shown @ direct, also an image leak of her being in the 3ds version of the game.
3. Chrom - Seems pretty obvious and Tiki from fire emblem Quiz Trophy shown @ direct.
4. Chorus Kids from Rhythm Heaven- In my eyes looks like a replacement for Mr. Game and Watch. The leaker did know about W Fit Train being in the game. Therefore he could be right about this character too. Plus Sakurai <3 surprising us whether its good or bad.

- Based off the Quiz Trophy including Chrom and Palutena.
5. Anthony Higgs - Sakurai been representing Metroid Other M too much. So I'm wondering is he just doing that because his trying to add another character into the Metroid series. Also that King Ki Hunter Quiz Trophy shown @ direct. In addition they added the same stage where Anthony higgs fell in the game Metroid Other M against Ridley while trying to save Samus. Also this char feels like a replacement for Snake.
6. Ganondorf -Will have new moves making him a newcomer because captain falcon can be customized with custok move sets to become playable as brawl/melee version of ganon. Therefore i think that toon ganon will join which makes sense of why he added toon link even though his a clone of link and can be made through custom move sets. him because of the Fi Quiz trophy shown @ direct.

- My own guess and it could be either or,
7 . Takamaru from Nazo no Murasame - Sakurai did mention of adding more retro characters. His sort of the East vs West going on with Little mac.
OR
7. Lark or Goose from Pilotwings 64 - In the game they have Pilotwing 64 item and stage and the symbol.

2 Last Characters

The leaker mentioned those 2 along with Megaman, WFT, Villager, Little mac before e3 2013.
These aren't included as the seven NEWCOMERS because of excluding third party characters and Mii.
8. Pac-man - Seems like it because Namco is helping developing the game and they had assist trophies from a Namco game.
9. Mii - I'm hoping this isn't true and could possibly be just an extra slot. Mii may not even be playable in online.
I thought you meant charcters from that series. The shadows were of Fox, Rosalina, Pikachu, Villager, Link, Kirby and Mario. I thought you meant that the newcomers were from the series.

Plus, wouldn't Ganondorf be a veteran? He is not including Zero Suit Samus, Zelda, Charizard, Samus, Olimar, Yoshi, Pit, or Bowser as newcomers because of the changes to their moveset.

On your other newcomers, why Lark or Goose? Just because it has a stage, doesn't mean it will get a character. We didn't have a Animal Crossing or Eletronplankton character in Brawl. And wouldn't that also include Balloon Fighter and Nintendog then as well?

MAGMIS

Smash Journeyman
I thought you meant charcters from that series. The shadows were of Fox, Rosalina, Pikachu, Villager, Link, Kirby and Mario. I thought you meant that the newcomers were from the series.

Plus, wouldn't Ganondorf be a veteran? He is not including Zero Suit Samus, Zelda, Charizard, Samus, Olimar, Yoshi, Pit, or Bowser as newcomers because of the changes to their moveset.

On your other newcomers, why Lark or Goose? Just because it has a stage, doesn't mean it will get a character. We didn't have a Animal Crossing or Eletronplankton character in Brawl. And wouldn't that also include Balloon Fighter and Nintendog then as well?
If ganondorf moveset changes its a newcomer and I meant to change that to TOON ganon again which makes sense why he added toon link even though his a clone of link.

Lark or Goose could be never know, hey would u ever guess Wii fit trainer being in the game? Its Sakurai.

*The Sensus Crustulum*

Smash Journeyman

'Cliffjumper likes this'
lolwat

MAGMIS

Smash Journeyman
I agree, they wouldn't replace the most iconic villain in Zelda
lol what I meant by replace as in change. lol U can't replace ganon but his moveset he will. ALL im saying is ganon must be different and will become a newcomer in my opinion because of the custom move sets.

Rockaphin

Smash Champion
NNID
Rockaphin
3DS FC
2595-0113-8473
You think the main antagonist of the Legend of Zelda series will get replaced?

Why would they do that, exactly?
I say the same thing about Wolf, he's one of the main antagonists of Star Fox I believe. But people think he'll be cut.

False Sense

Ad Astra Per Aspera
NNID
FalseSense
3DS FC
3368-2599-3209
lol what I meant by replace as in change. lol U can't replace ganon but his moveset he will. ALL im saying is ganon must be different and will become a newcomer in my opinion because of the custom move sets.
So, you're saying if they change Ganondorf's move set, which they've pretty much done to some degree with every other veteran at this point, he'll be counted as a newcomer?

MAGMIS

Smash Journeyman
They didn't even do that in Brawl.
In an interview he mentioned how much trouble his having choosing char and especially about bringing char back in brawl. I also remember him mentioning that he may hurt some of the char that will effect fans harshly. Char that people may not call it smash bros without it. "Jigglypuff".

MAGMIS

Smash Journeyman
I say the same thing about Wolf, he's one of the main antagonists of Star Fox I believe. But people think he'll be cut.
most of the brawl series didn't have much of an antagonist even now so far the list is filled with only heroes no villains except bowser I think. Since the bosses are being played in the stages. its possible to have less villians as playable in my opinion.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom