• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Character Discussion Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

Yomi's Biggest Fan

See You Next Year, Baby
NNID
Takamaru64
3DS FC
1375-7346-9605
Switch FC
SW-8277-6509-2593
There'll be butthurt no matter how many characters we get.
Why the hell is that brat in the roster? Animal Crossing is for casuals.

Mega Man? You mean the irrelevant mascot of a dying company that's DLC crazy?

Why did they put a personality -less white woman in Smash? She clashes with everyone else's style!

Rosalina? You mean the boring galactic ***** that did nothing, but get to steal Waluigi's slot?

Little Mac is the most overrated and boring addition to the roster! I mean, he's just a ****ing puncher!

Greninja doesn't belong in Smash since most Pokemon gens post 4th Gen are full of ****ty designs and bad gameplay changes. It should have been Mewtwo, the OG Pokemon instead.

AEMehr

Mii Fighter
NO! Absolutely not! Jigglypuff is getting in for sure, there's absolutely no chance that they'd cut someone who's been playable from day 1.
Ness was almost cut in Melee but saved by Mother 3's situation in development hell.
Mewtwo has the same chance of coming back as a snowman surviving in California during the summer. Shadow the Hedgehog is also highly requested, but he's unlikely, and Mewtwo can be ignored just as easily. This is coming from a shameful supporter of both characters
Are you kidding me.
Did you seriously forget the movie that was released right around the same time as the roster was completed (You know like during Brawl with Lucario's movie).
Or the fact that Mewtwo is one of the two Pokémon to have two mega evolutions, the other one already being confirmed as a playable character?

Did you also forget that Mewtwo is the most wanted character worldwide and Shadow's support is barely a blip on the radar.
What do you think of the unconfirmed characters of the leak?
Well...
Pac-Man gets more appealing the more I think about him, I just hope they don't make him Ghostly Adventures based. Design is fine (maybe no teeth plz), but I would very much like to see a Classic styled moveset for him. I mean as many have said before, his classic gameplay is what he's known for.
Also if would be pretty great if he had Neon colored alternate palettes.

I'd be okay with the Mii, I just hope they won't be made to be boring. I mean you can probably make a generic sports moveset based off of Wii Sports / Wii Sports Resort and call it day. So I hope they play around with a lot of the games they appear in and create a nice moveset for them. I also hope they don't have annoying voices that would be torture. I hope Tomodachi Collection's Smash Inclusion makes them a bit more characteristic.

Shulk is a character I've always had some faith in. I know Nintendo likes to pretend that Project Rainfall meant nothing in Xenoblade's eventual localization, but come on seriously. He's a character I find that can be incredibly unique thanks to the Monado. I just hope they don't make him a character with a buffed beam sword.

Palutena is honestly the most likely newcomer at this point. I think she's got some potential to be something special that and she's probably the character I'd like the most in Romano's list.

Chrom doesn't interest me, but if they make different from Ike and Marth I'll be fine with his inclusion. I would still much rather have Robin so we can have a tactician since those are recurring in the Fire Emblem franchise too. Would have been a nice change from getting another lord.

Chorus Kids would be hilarious and great. Rhythm Heaven is certainly deserving a playable character, the question has always been who would it be. The Chorus Kids are a pretty funny choice, and fitting since they are on the box art of the DS version. But part of me still would prefer Rhythm Wrestler or Miss Rhythm.

Last edited:

Joe D.

Smash Ace
NNID
NeroSnare
3DS FC
2552-1665-5337
You are the most narrow-minded, bullheaded, opinionated person on this site. The fact we had more Pokemon than Mario characters in Brawl means nothing to you?

And no, Jigglypuff being in from the beginning means nothing. There's little reason at this point for her to be cut, yes, but it's not off the table. She can easily not come back. As for Mewtwo, we've said everything we tried to say, so maybe, just maybe, you can understand that it's perfectly feasible for one of Nintendo's biggest franchises to have 6 characters. There's a big cast of Pokemon, and you can only pick so many. Of course, they will go with the most popular: Pikachu, Charizard, Jigglypuff, Mewtwo, Lucario, and Greninja are the big 6.

Pokemon and Mario are way bigger than Zelda, yet Zelda got more characters than Mario in Brawl and Pokemon in Melee. What does that mean?

Oh, and PS: by balancing out characters, I'm pretty sure he meant balancing out the freaking characters. Not the series representation.
I understand you don't agree with him, but that's a little bit harsh. Come on now, we shouldn't be having bad blood over a video game.

*cue La Bamba.*

Jason the Yoshi

Watching Me, Wanting Me
Ness was almost cut in Melee but saved by Mother 3's situation in development hell.
Jigglypuff is far from safe, she's only safe if Gam
Are you kidding me.
Did you seriously forget the movie that was released right around the same time as the roster was completed (You know like during Brawl with Lucario's movie).
Or the fact that Mewtwo is one of the two Pokémon to have two mega evolutions, the other one already being confirmed as a playable character?

Did you also forget that Mewtwo is the most wanted character worldwide and Shadow's support is barely a blip on the radar.
No, Sakurai clearly knows that he won't cut anyone who was in from the beginning, JIgglypuff has nothing standing in her way! ARGUMENT INVALID

And it's Sakurai's game! Fan desire he cares less about, except for MegaMan! (And no, do not say Sonic, because that was started by Yuji Naka, not fans) Mewtwo can be ignored just as easily as Shadow! ARGUMENT INVALID

*The Sensus Crustulum*

Smash Journeyman
No, Sakurai clearly knows that he won't cut anyone who was in from the beginning, JIgglypuff has nothing standing in her way! ARGUMENT INVALID

And it's Sakurai's game! Fan desire he cares less about, except for MegaMan! (And no, do not say Sonic, because that was started by Yuji Naka, not fans) Mewtwo can be ignored just as easily as Shadow! ARGUMENT INVALID
It's funny that you mention that it is Sakurai's game and you say he clearly knows he won't cut anyone from the beginning.
You are not Sakurai. You can't read his mind. I find it hypocritical mentioned it is Sakurai's game but you act like it is yours.

Joe D.

Smash Ace
NNID
NeroSnare
3DS FC
2552-1665-5337

Cliff, just because they've been in from the beginning, doesn't mean they're a shoe-in. Nobody is. Not Shulk, Not Ridley, Not Jigglypuff, Not Krystal. Hell, like I said, I think Palutena is incredibly likely, but not a shoe in.

Only Ken Griffey Jr. Is the true shoe-in. I was debating between Ken or Mariano Rivera, But good ol' Mariano is a heavy projectile user, and we already have Mega Man. :troll:

Miffa

The Money Man
NNID
DeanMiffa
Cliff, just because they've been in from the beginning, doesn't mean they're a shoe-in. Nobody is. Not Shulk, Not Ridley, Not Jigglypuff, Not Krystal. Hell, like I said, I think Palutena is incredibly likely, but not a shoe in.

Only Ken Griffey Jr. Is the true shoe-in. I was debating between Ken or Mariano Rivera, But good ol' Mariano is a heavy projectile user, and we already have Mega Man. :troll:
Well Griffy Jr played at the mariners which Nintendo owns so he has a chance :p

False Sense

Ad Astra Per Aspera
NNID
FalseSense
3DS FC
3368-2599-3209

Nothing standing in her way aside from lack of popularity and possible competition for a slot on the roster from the most wanted newcomer in the world. And I wouldn't assume things about Sakurai's way of thinking that we can't really know. There's evidence to show that Sakurai came very close to cutting characters from the original twelve out of the roster at some points, so saying that he won't cut any characters from the original twelve is just hopeful assumption at this point. True, Jigglypuff will more than likely be back, but she's not a complete shoo-in. No character is.

Last edited:

JamesDNaux

Smash Hero
NNID
JamesDNaux
It's no use trying to change his mind guys, we've got another Saturn.

So I hear the main gripe with Pac-Man is his GA design, but wouldn't you think they'd pull a Mega Man for him?

This'd be perfect I think. As for a moveset, I'd love to see one or two references to other Namco games thrown in, like the pump from Dig Dug.

Miffa

The Money Man
NNID
DeanMiffa

So I hear the main gripe with Pac-Man is his GA design, but wouldn't you think they'd pull a Mega Man for him?

This'd be perfect I think. As for a moveset, I'd love to see one or two references to other Namco games thrown in, like the pump from Dig Dug.
I agree this is the best design since it be easier to make moveset then if he was just a yellow circle.

MAGMIS

Smash Journeyman
Why the hell is that brat in the roster? Animal Crossing is for casuals.

Mega Man? You mean the irrelevant mascot of a dying company that's DLC crazy?

Why did they put a personality -less white woman in Smash? She clashes with everyone else's style!

Rosalina? You mean the boring galactic ***** that did nothing, but get to steal Waluigi's slot?

Little Mac is the most overrated and boring addition to the roster! I mean, he's just a ****ing puncher!

Greninja doesn't belong in Smash since most Pokemon gens post 4th Gen are full of ****ty designs and bad gameplay changes. It should have been Mewtwo, the OG Pokemon instead.
I <3 that comment and sakurai adds something new to make us remember that one char, what I mean is for example:

Fire Emblem series, if Smash didn't exist then I wouldn't know what the hell is a "FIRE EMBLEM GAME". lol
It seems like popularity starts with smash. Rosalina became new to me and now I will remember her because she's in the game. lol
Sakurai adding newcomers as if to remind us about those old char. Which is why he desires to add retro char.
So I'm thinking he may not choose jigglypuff cuz we remember her. Imagine parasect being in the ssb game, I barely remember that pokemon but after installing that pokemon in smash it will be like jigglypuff. To be honest, jigglypuff doesn't represent anything right now about pokemon.

*The Sensus Crustulum*

Smash Journeyman

I really don't mind Pac-Man. But the thing is, is that the GA design makes my eyes bleed. I would prefer this design and will actually look forward to him being in the game if confirmed.

Speaking of Mega Man, all those Mega Men in his FS, could it be possible if they were alternate costumes? That would be genius on Sakurai's part.

MAGMIS

Smash Journeyman
I really don't mind Pac-Man. But the thing is, is that the GA design makes my eyes bleed. I would prefer this design and will actually look forward to him being in the game if confirmed.

Speaking of Mega Man, all those Mega Men in his FS, could it be possible if they were alternate costumes? That would be genius on Sakurai's part.
If all those Mega man in Final Smash are possible alt costumes that is a dream come true.

Dairz

Smash Ace
Probably not, because they all have different body proportions- and if they were shrunken down to Classic MM size they would look odd.

So @ Smash_Veteran_Amtoj Smash_Veteran_Amtoj is here? Interesting. The_New_New_Amtoj lol.

About the leak, Pac-Man is meh, Mii is just no, Palutena is fine, Shulk is great, Chrom is ugh, but expected to the point where I'm not going to be mad, Chorus Men is just no as well,
The_New_New_Amtoj just sounds weird. :smirk:

What leak are we talking about now? That one involving the guy who supposedly leaked the E3 fighters?

Gune

Smash Lord

While I would love it I doubt that would happen, it would be like making toon link a alt costume for link sakurai doesent like reducing other charecter to alts according to Dr mario.

Last edited:

*The Sensus Crustulum*

Smash Journeyman
Probably not, because they all have different body proportions- and if they were shrunken down to Classic MM size they would look odd.
Yeah true. But I find it odd that they are just used for the final smash.
But it is probably unlikely since the body shape could interfere with the play style.
If it is actually true, that would be fan service right there.

Joe D.

Smash Ace
NNID
NeroSnare
3DS FC
2552-1665-5337
You know what? I'm gonna make a move-set for Ken Griffey Jr. I want him to actually be in the game. Call me delusional, call the idea blasephemous, BUT I SAY CHASE YOUR GOT DANG DREAMS.

Neutral Smash- Bat trick-Ken performs a quick series of swings with his louisville slugger.

Side Smash- Bat Swing- similar to Ness's side smash, except it's Ken Griffey Jr.

Up Smash- Golden Glove- similar to your average horrid visit to your local doctor, Ken thrusts his golden Baseball glove upward, and emits a shock effect that sends any oppenent caught in the attack flying.

Down Smash- Cleat sweep- Ken does a full sweep with his spiked cleats, meant to be used as a move to knock oponents away.

Nair- Ken Punch- Ken kicks you in the face. Not your character, but YOU. If you are also using Ken against another Ken, then La Bamba cues, and all characters are unlocked.

Sair- Glove smash- Ken pushes his shock glove at the player, and hits a shock punch

Dair- Cleat lunge- Similar to Sonic, and Sheik, except it's Ken Griffey Jr.

Neutral Special- Throw Home- a chargable projectile in which Ken charges a throw, then tosses a baseball at full speed, with fire around the baseball.

Side Special- Stolen Base- Ken uses a quick dash to move across the screen. Similar to the boys from Star Fox, except it's Ken GriffeyJr.

Down Special- Slide to Home- Ken slides across the ground, kicking up dirt, and clearing anything in his path. Similar to Cpt. Falcon, except that it's Ken Griffey Jr.

Recovery- Jump Catch- Ken leaps upward with his glove raised, and any projectile thrown at him while he is doing this move, is caught and can be reflected.

Final Smash- Giga Ken Finale Sonic

I saved this entire text wall. I hope you all understand that this is not fantasy, this is reality.

ultimatekoopa

Smash Ace

Are you really comparing mewtwo with Shadow? Is Shadow one of the most requested characters from smash bros worldwide beating other requested characters like ridley or king k rool? Is Shadow in the last sonic game? Is Shadow even 1st party? Did Sakurai said they were considering Shadow? Was Shadow cut from an smash bros game? Was Shadow even planned to appear in Brawl? No, this is like comparing Spyro with Ridley

Jason the Yoshi

Watching Me, Wanting Me
Are you really comparing mewtwo with Shadow? Is Shadow one of the most requested characters from smash bros worldwide beating other requested characters like ridley or king k rool? Is Shadow in the last sonic game? Is Shadow even 1st party? Did Sakurai said they were considering Shadow? Was Shadow cut from an smash bros game? Was Shadow even planned to appear in Brawl? No, this is like comparing Spyro with Ridley
Both are highly unlikely at this point

False Sense

Ad Astra Per Aspera
NNID
FalseSense
3DS FC
3368-2599-3209
Both are highly unlikely at this point
Well, we all know why Shadow is incredibly unlikely, but why is Mewtwo unlikely? Aside from reasons that are just opinions passed off as facts, that is.

Jason the Yoshi

Watching Me, Wanting Me
Mewtwo is not unlikely.
Dude, you just don't get it, do you? I'm saying this as a shameful supporter of both Mewtwo AND Shadow. It doesn't matter that Mewtwo's been showcased in a ton of movies lately, unless we get another Mario character to balance it out, there's only one more spot for a Pokemon character, and that spot belongs to Jigglypuff! Jigglypuff is in no danger of being cut, she won't be, she's a member of the original twelve roster.

MAGMIS

Smash Journeyman
I haven't seen you give any good reasons why Mewtwo is unlikely.
cuz there isn't any good reason for mewtwo being unlikely? lol
I don't think we can argure about mewtwo being likely or unlikely just no proof of any sort.
Its Sakurai were talking about keep that in mind.

MAGMIS

Smash Journeyman
Dude, you just don't get it, do you? I'm saying this as a shameful supporter of both Mewtwo AND Shadow. It doesn't matter that Mewtwo's been showcased in a ton of movies lately, unless we get another Mario character to balance it out, there's only one more spot for a Pokemon character, and that spot belongs to Jigglypuff! Jigglypuff is in no danger of being cut, she won't be, she's a member of the original twelve roster.
I don't think being the original twelve matters to sakurai because jigglypuff almost got cut in brawl and so did with ness in melee lol.

Last edited:

*The Sensus Crustulum*

Smash Journeyman
Dude just stop. It is okay to have an opinion, but it's another thing to pass your opinions as facts.

YeppersPeppers

Smash Journeyman
You keep bringing up this imaginary "rule" where Pokemon is not allowed to have more playable characters than Mario, despite it already happening in Brawl.

Seriously, where are you getting this "rule" from? Is there some Sakurai interview that everyone but you has missed? I don't get it.

False Sense

Ad Astra Per Aspera
NNID
FalseSense
3DS FC
3368-2599-3209
There's no proof that this is the case. The idea that there absolutely cannot be more slots than Mario is a fan made idea. It's not fact. Just going by characters themselves, Pokemon already had six in Brawl. There's no evidence that slots mean anything.

MAGMIS

Smash Journeyman
anyone think Isaac may be in smash. Cuz I was wondering why is fire emblem more represented than golden sun. lol Golden sun char should've been in melee instead of fire emblem.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom