• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Character Discussion Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jason the Yoshi

Watching Me, Wanting Me
Sorry, I just don't see anymore Pokemon characters coming in except for Jigglypuff, if we get another Mario character to balance out Mario and Pokemon, I might consider Serperior.

False Sense

Ad Astra Per Aspera
NNID
FalseSense
3DS FC
3368-2599-3209
Sorry, I just don't see anymore Pokemon characters coming in except for Jigglypuff, if we get another Mario character to balance out Mario and Pokemon, I might consider Serperior.
Er, you mean Mewtwo? You know, the most requested character across the world who's very important the the Pokemon series as a whole, especially now?

Last edited:

Jason the Yoshi

Watching Me, Wanting Me
Er, you mean Mewtwo? You know, the most requested character across the world who's very important the the Pokemon series as a whole, especially now?
NO! Absolutely not! Jigglypuff is getting in for sure, there's absolutely no chance that they'd cut someone who's been playable from day 1. Mewtwo has the same chance of coming back as a snowman surviving in California during the summer. Shadow the Hedgehog is also highly requested, but he's unlikely, and Mewtwo can be ignored just as easily. This is coming from a shameful supporter of both characters

Last edited:

Staarih

Smash Master
I don't think a grass-type is needed. Charizard and Greninja just happen to be some of the more popular Pokémon of their generations, regardless of type.

...but if I were to choose a grass-type starter, it would have to be Serperior. Imagine that snake-like thing on the battlefield. Awesomeness.

Last edited:

TumblrFamous

Smash Hero
Switch FC
SW-8429-6803-3691
NO! Absolutely not! Jigglypuff is getting in for sure, there's absolutely no chance that they'd cut someone who's been playable from day 1. Mewtwo has the same chance of coming back as a snowman surviving in California during the summer.
Care to elaborate? Cause I'm pretty sure being a three-time veteran doesn't give her any credibility. She was one of the last characters developed in Brawl. And Sakurai's going for popularity for Pokemon, he said it in an interview it's the big Pokemon that are in the movies and stuff. We now have four of the most popular Pokemon in the game now. It's time for Mewtwo to join that crew as one of the most popular. You know, something Sakurai is actually looking at. He won't add Serperior before Mewtwo, that doesn't follow his credentials.

Last edited:

Scoliosis Jones

Kept you waiting, huh?
Writing Team
NNID
ScoliosisxJones
3DS FC
1762-3194-1826
NO! Absolutely not! Jigglypuff is getting in for sure, there's absolutely no chance that they'd cut someone who's been playable from day 1. Mewtwo has the same chance of coming back as a snowman surviving in California during the summer. Shadow the Hedgehog is also highly requested, but he's unlikely, and Mewtwo can be ignored just as easily. This is coming from a shameful supporter of both characters
Shadow and Mewtwo are apples and oranges though. One's 3rd party and not highly requested, while the other is the most requested character in the world from a series that could get a 6th, just like it had in Brawl.

Serperior is the one with no chance here. They aren't going to pass over Mewtwo with all things considered. That would be a gigantic slap in the face.

Last edited:

TumblrFamous

Smash Hero
Switch FC
SW-8429-6803-3691
Is anyone forgetting we had six in Brawl? That we had 7 planned? That Mewtwo fits the bill for Sakurai's credentials in that interview he had? Mewtwo not getting in is a big mistake.

Jason the Yoshi

Watching Me, Wanting Me
Care to elaborate? Cause I'm pretty sure being a three-time veteran doesn't give her any credibility. She was one of the last characters developed in Brawl. And Sakurai's going for popularity for Pokemon, he said it in an interview it's the big Pokemon that are in the movies and stuff. We now have four of the most popular Pokemon in the game now. It's time for Mewtwo to join that crew as one of the most popular. You know, something Sakurai is actually looking at. He won't add Serperior before Mewtwo, that doesn't follow his credentials.
Yes, at this point being a three time veteran does mean she will return. There were only three Smash games prior to this, meaning she has been in from the very beginning, Sakurai would not cut any of the so called "Cal Ripken Junior's" of Super Smash Bros. And Sakurai has said something about wanting to balance out characters this time around, so we won't be likely to see more Pokemon characters than the mascot franchise of Nintendo. Mewtwo isn't happening for me, the Pokemon franchise as far as character representation is a wall with a really big hole in it, and Jigglypuff pretty much covers the hole.

False Sense

Ad Astra Per Aspera
NNID
FalseSense
3DS FC
3368-2599-3209
Yes, at this point being a three time veteran does mean she will return. There were only three Smash games prior to this, meaning she has been in from the very beginning, Sakurai would not cut any of the so called "Cal Ripken Junior's" of Super Smash Bros. And Sakurai has said something about wanting to balance out characters this time around, so we won't be likely to see more Pokemon characters than the mascot franchise of Nintendo. Mewtwo isn't happening for me, the Pokemon franchise as far as character representation is a wall with a really big hole in it, and Jigglypuff pretty much covers the hole.
I'm 95% sure that he meant balancing in terms of playstyles, which is exactly what we've seen so far. And the Pokemon franchise is insanely huge and has a ton of good characters that could be in Smash. It's probably the only franchise where it would make sense for there to be more characters from it than the Mario series. Besides, this is all just assuming that roster slots mean anything. Sakurai certainly never said so.

Oh, and I could easily replace Jigglypuff with Mewtwo in that last sentence. I, and I believe many others, think that it's terrible that Mewtwo is not currently on the roster, and that he shouldn't have been cut in the first place. Jigglypuff just doesn't come close to Mewtwo, really.

TumblrFamous

Smash Hero
Switch FC
SW-8429-6803-3691
You are the most narrow-minded, bullheaded, opinionated person on this site. The fact we had more Pokemon than Mario characters in Brawl means nothing to you?

And no, Jigglypuff being in from the beginning means nothing. There's little reason at this point for her to be cut, yes, but it's not off the table. She can easily not come back. As for Mewtwo, we've said everything we tried to say, so maybe, just maybe, you can understand that it's perfectly feasible for one of Nintendo's biggest franchises to have 6 characters. There's a big cast of Pokemon, and you can only pick so many. Of course, they will go with the most popular: Pikachu, Charizard, Jigglypuff, Mewtwo, Lucario, and Greninja are the big 6.

Pokemon and Mario are way bigger than Zelda, yet Zelda got more characters than Mario in Brawl and Pokemon in Melee. What does that mean?

Oh, and PS: by balancing out characters, I'm pretty sure he meant balancing out the freaking characters. Not the series representation.

Last edited:

ultimatekoopa

Smash Ace
You know that someone fails when that someone compares a 3rd party that nobody wants with a 1st party character from a popular franchise that everyone and their mother wants

Jason the Yoshi

Watching Me, Wanting Me
You are the most narrow-minded, bullheaded, opinionated person on this site.
HEY!!! I at least admitted that I'm ashamed to call myself a second Sonic representative! I don't talk about the characters I'm absolutely sure will come in because it's no use. Shulk, Chrom, and PacMan aren't really highly doubted now, are they?

Dairz

Smash Ace
You are the most narrow-minded, bullheaded, opinionated person on this site. The fact we had more Pokemon than Mario characters in Brawl means nothing to you?

And no, Jigglypuff being in from the beginning means nothing. There's little reason at this point for her to be cut, yes, but it's not off the table. She can easily not come back. As for Mewtwo, we've said everything we tried to say, so maybe, just maybe, you can understand that it's perfectly feasible for one of Nintendo's biggest franchises to have 6 characters. There's a big cast of Pokemon, and you can only pick so many. Of course, they will go with the most popular: Pikachu, Charizard, Jigglypuff, Mewtwo, Lucario, and Greninja are the big 6.

Pokemon and Mario are way bigger than Zelda, yet Zelda got more characters than Mario in Brawl and Pokemon in Melee. What does that mean?

Oh, and PS: by balancing out characters, I'm pretty sure he meant balancing out the freaking characters. Not the series representation.
Jeez, did CliffJumper beat up your dog and steal your house or something?

False Sense

Ad Astra Per Aspera
NNID
FalseSense
3DS FC
3368-2599-3209
HEY!!! I at least admitted that I'm ashamed to call myself a second Sonic representative! I don't talk about the characters I'm absolutely sure will come in because it's no use. Shulk, Chrom, and PacMan aren't really highly doubted now, are they?
I don't believe the leak, so...

Autumn ♫

I'm terrible with these Custom Titles.
Eh, Shulk and Chrom are a bit more doubtful, but still possible.

FalKoopa

Rainbow Waifu
BRoomer
3DS FC
1650-3685-3998
Switch FC
SW-5545-7990-4793
Hmm... Looks like I stepped right into a battlefield. :laugh:

Say, Cliffjumper, is this the first website where you're speculating smash, or have you been to other sites as well (Youtube, IGN, GameFAQs)?

ultimatekoopa

Smash Ace
Palutena would have been a better example you know

TumblrFamous

Smash Hero
Switch FC
SW-8429-6803-3691
So you look at one line of my long post in retaliation to your claim that Mewtwo won't be in? The most insignificant trivial point? How about disect and analyze the rest of my post?

False Sense

Ad Astra Per Aspera
NNID
FalseSense
3DS FC
3368-2599-3209
Haw! As I've said, I only talk about and defend characters I'm less than certain will be in. I don't defend newcomers that nobody doubts because it's just no use, they'll be in anyway!
There's no such thing as character locks, you know. Just because you think they'll be in doesn't mean they will be. Without any solid proof, we can't guarantee any one character will be in this game.

Last edited:

?????????????

Smash Master
What do you think of the unconfirmed characters of the leak?

Pac-man, as a character, does not particularly excite me, but I like the prospect as a historical video game character, and I think he has enough to make a nice moveset.

Miis used to be "meh" for me, like Pac-man. I think they make more than enough sense, and have more than enough to work with moveset-wise. However, like I've seen/heard with other people, Tomodachi Life has made me change my viewpoint a bit; I think Miis would be a hilarious addition.

I'm already a supporter of Chrom, Palutena, and Shulk, so nothing much to say there for me. There's plenty of discussion on Fire Emblem, but I still hold my viewpoint that I'd be more surprised to not see Chrom in SSB4. I like Shulk both moveset-wise and as an addition of a newer Nintendo protagonist. Palutena is pretty funny, has enough fun stuff to work with moveset-wise, and it'd be cool to see more Kid Icarus Uprising stuff.

Jason the Yoshi

Watching Me, Wanting Me
Hmm... Looks like I stepped right into a battlefield. :laugh:

Say, Cliffjumper, is this the first website where you're speculating smash, or have you been to other sites as well (Youtube, IGN, GameFAQs)?
I used to speculate on a Facebook fan page until it was taken down due to technical difficulties.

False Sense

Ad Astra Per Aspera
NNID
FalseSense
3DS FC
3368-2599-3209

Pac-man, as a character, does not particularly excite me, but I like the prospect as a historical video game character, and I think he has enough to make a nice moveset.

Miis used to be "meh" for me, like Pac-man. I think they make more than enough sense, and have more than enough to work with moveset-wise. However, like I've seen/heard with other people, Tomodachi Life has made me change my viewpoint a bit; I think Miis would be a hilarious addition.

I'm already a supporter of Chrom, Palutena, and Shulk, so nothing much to say there for me. There's plenty of discussion on Fire Emblem, but I still hold my viewpoint that I'd be more surprised to not see Chrom in SSB4. I like Shulk both moveset-wise and as an addition of a newer Nintendo protagonist. Palutena is pretty funny, has enough fun stuff to work with moveset-wise, and it'd be cool to see more Kid Icarus Uprising stuff.
Well, I'm a Pac-Man supporter myself. He's not one of my most wanted characters, but I think it would be really neat to have such a big gaming icon duking it out with the likes of Mario, Sonic, Mega Man, Link and Pikachu. I think he'd be a fun addition.

I'm one of a seemingly small group of people who actually like the ideas of Miis in Smash. At the same time though, I have my doubts about their inclusion now. Regardless, I do think Miis could be a fun, and hilarious, addition to Smash, and I've always liked the idea of being able to fight famous Nintendo characters as yourself.

Chrom is... Well, if they do manage to make him into something unique, I probably would be alright with him. I have difficulty seeing that happening, though, so I'd prefer Robin myself. More than likely, though, we'll get Chrom.

Palutena looks like she'd be a really fun character who has a lot of potential for an interesting move set. She's also one of the most likely newcomers at this point, it seems. Personally, I'd love to see her in.

I can't say a whole lot about Shulk, but from what I've heard his game was very well received and could bring a lot of cool stuff to Smash in terms of stages, music, etc. So, he seems like a good addition from a new franchise.

I don't know about the Chorus Men, though...

FalKoopa

Rainbow Waifu
BRoomer
3DS FC
1650-3685-3998
Switch FC
SW-5545-7990-4793
Let's see...

Pac-Man is okay. Not too fond of how he looks now-a-days, but he does have enough to make a proper moveset.

Miis, still despise them. I'd still take a ton of other characters over them. Tomodachi Life direct was hilarious, but it didn't really change my opinion on them.

I'm a supporter of Palutena, so no objections there.

Not too big on Shulk. The Isaac-Shulk wars have soured me on him.

Chrom is okay-ish. My most wanted FE character, Lyn, was a victim of the AT massacre. Since then, I've supported Robin and Roy. I've hesitated to support him due to how many wanted him to replace Ike.

Chorus Men... please no... I don't even like their design to begin with.

TumblrFamous

Smash Hero
Switch FC
SW-8429-6803-3691

I'm okay with Pac-Man and Miis. I can see why people won't want them, but I'm fine with their inclusion.

I'm a huge supporter of Chrom, Palutena, and Shulk, so no explanation there.

The Chorus Men? I actually would like to see them.

Substitution

Deacon Blues
NNID
MisterVideo
Miis, still despise them. I'd still take a ton of other characters over them. Tomodachi Life direct was hilarious, but it didn't really change my opinion on them.
It's not like Mii's can't work. I think with enough effort they could end up being something.
It's just how everyone downright expects them to be customizable that bugs me. And if not then they're "generic" or something like that.

Last edited:

OcarinaOfDoom

Smash Lord
NNID
OcarinaOfDoom
So @Smash_Veteran_Amtoj is here? Interesting. The_New_New_Amtoj lol.

About the leak, Pac-Man is meh, Mii is just no, Palutena is fine, Shulk is great, Chrom is ugh, but expected to the point where I'm not going to be mad, Chorus Men is just no as well,

Baskerville

That's a paddlin'
NNID
RedGazelle7
3DS FC
4184-3881-5805
The Isaac/Shulk wars are beyond stupid. And this is from someone who doesn't even care about Isaac that much but loves Shulk.

Jason the Yoshi

Watching Me, Wanting Me
So @Smash_Veteran_Amtoj is here? Interesting. The_New_New_Amtoj lol.

About the leak, Pac-Man is meh, Mii is just no, Palutena is fine, Shulk is great, Chrom is ugh, but expected to the point where I'm not going to be mad, Chorus Men is just no as well,
I think the leak is fake solely because of the chorus men, that's just silly! This is a fighting game, not a Disney movie

D

Deleted member

It's funny really. The people who expected this to be the Pokemon roster are now arguing that 6 is too much.
Probably because a large portion of them failed to realized that Sakurai doesn't count slots but instead, number of playable characters, in which there were thirty-nine in Brawl. Since they don't realize that Sakurai doesn't count by slots, they now insist that we can't have more than five.

I'm willing to say that eight Pokémons are more realistic expectations than five at this point.
I don't see why anyone should be ashamed of wanting a character in. I want Tails in and I'm not ashamed of that fact. It's not like drugs as it shouldn't be a problem as long as you keep in mind that wanting and believing a character is likely/should be in are two entirely different things.

And just because Shulk, Chrom and Pac-Man may seem like shoe-ins because of the Gematsu leak doesn't mean that we automatically stop talking about them. There are still game play aspects to talk about in regards to these characters that would be worth discussing. People definitely don't stop talking about a character just because they get in.

Only really interested in Chorus Men and Mii. I like the idea of a rhythm-based move set getting in and I love music. I also really do enjoy seeing the Mii's and I am looking forward to their E3 2014 appearance (if nothing else, then for the salt they would induce into the community).

I'm actually slightly concern about Sakurai's choice to include Chrom. If he's seen as a mere semi-clone Ike replacement, I will consider him one of the worst additions Sakurai has ever made. My hope is for Marth, Ike and Chrom with all three characters receiving unique move set (which luckily sounds very likely if the RosalinaX leak isn't true).

False Sense

Ad Astra Per Aspera
NNID
FalseSense
3DS FC
3368-2599-3209
I think the leak is fake solely because of the chorus men, that's just silly! This is a fighting game, not a Disney movie
Wait, you think the leak is fake, but you believe Shulk and Chrom are shoo-ins? And... What does Disney have to do with the Chorus Men? I mean, if the leak is fake, I doubt they'd be in the game, but they are Nintendo characters. They're fair game in terms of Smash.

Jason the Yoshi

Watching Me, Wanting Me
Wait, you think the leak is fake, but you believe Shulk and Chrom are shoo-ins? And... What does Disney have to do with the Chorus Men? I mean, if the leak is fake, I doubt they'd be in the game, but they are Nintendo characters. They're fair game in terms of Smash.
I was making a joke. Chorus men? Disney? Both fairly related because of music, i know that the chorus men are Nintendo, but there are more deserving characters, don't you think?

False Sense

Ad Astra Per Aspera
NNID
FalseSense
3DS FC
3368-2599-3209
I was making a joke. Chorus men? Disney? Both fairly related because of music, i know that the chorus men are Nintendo, but there are more deserving characters, don't you think?
Yes, I agree that there are more deserving characters. But while their inclusion would be odd, it's not impossible. We can't exactly brush off the leak because of that.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom