• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Character Discussion Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

Con0rrrr

PPMD Kreygasm
NNID
Con0rrrr
3DS FC
4656-6340-0779
We've been talking about characters that "aren't good enough" literally since speculation started. It's not like people are saying Ridley and K. Rool and Lucas aren't good enough, the support for them will show the opposite... we're just working with what we've got here, with a situation that looks like they won't be part of the main roster. If anything people are trying to convince themselves of situations happening where these characters are still "good enough" to find their way onto the roster even if it means DLC.
Ridley and K Rool are initial roster or a no show. Character's of that importance to the fanbase need to be included on disc to sell the game initially

egaddmario

Smash Champion
NNID
egaddmario
3DS FC
0946-2409-3627
Ridley and K Rool are initial roster or a no show. Character's of that importance to the fanbase need to be included on disc to sell the game initially
Or the fact that people will buy the game regardless THEN buy them as DLC...

Dalek_Kolt

Smash Master
What situation? If a character hasn't been announced, that doesn't mean they're not part of the final roster.

The ONLY character I can comprehend as pre-release DLC is Roy, and that's stretching it.

Now, Inkling and New IP character? I can get behind them as DLC. But Mewtwo and Krystal? Really?

~Krystal~

True American Heroine
Why is it out of the question to add a popular character on DLC in order to pick up sales on the back end? Time doesn't permit the dev team to add everyone that matters. DLC makes sense in that context.

Scoliosis Jones

Kept you waiting, huh?
Writing Team
NNID
ScoliosisxJones
3DS FC
1762-3194-1826
I have that DLC group if anybody wants to join. (Shameful plug)

I feel like DLC COULD go past 4, if simply because of the gap between Smash games. I'm not suggesting 10, but I don't think 4 HAS to be the roof.

N3ON

Gone Exploring
BRoomer
You mean like Mewtwo? :p

I agree if Sakurai intended to include them they'd be on the initial roster, I'm not advocating they'd be DLC, I'm just saying some people are. The exception would be if he learned of their demand during development of the game when the characters were already chosen, but that doesn't really apply to Ridley, whose demand I'm positive Sakurai already is aware of.

Plus, the game has Mario, Link, Pikachu, DK, Samus, Kirby, Sonic, Mega Man, and Pac-Man. It doesn't even need all those characters to sell the game initially, yet it has dozens more.

True Blue Warrior

Smash Hero
NNID
TrueBlueSM
3DS FC
2036-7619-4276
Well the roster being "finalized" means that there is a selection of characters planned for the game, but that doesn't mean the list won't get narrowed down as characters might fall by the wayside for whatever reason (keeping on schedule, difficulty programming a character, etc), resulting in another situation where there were planned characters who didn't make it, that happens every time. And they'd be the easiest to pick back up and finish over a totally new character.

It's more like Sakurai has an initial bunch of characters he aims to include, but not all of them do wind up being included. Now however, he can go back and finish some of the partially complete ones that had to or did get scrapped.
Yes,possible DLC candidates are Roy, Lucas, Squirtle, Ivysaur

and the ever-popular
:4pacman:

You didn't expect her, eh?

I feel like DLC COULD go past 4, if simply because of the gap between Smash games. I'm not suggesting 10, but I don't think 4 HAS to be the roof.
Can I join?

Last edited:

N3ON

Gone Exploring
BRoomer
Well who knows what new characters Sakurai has considered or were partially programmed before being scrapped this time around.

I wonder if it includes even one Nintendo character who didn't feature in a game post-Brawl.

Jedisupersonic

Eight Leaves One Kame Style
NNID
Jedisupersonic
3DS FC
4871-3983-7566
Well who knows what new characters Sakurai has considered or were partially programmed before being scrapped this time around.

I wonder if it includes even one Nintendo character who didn't feature in a game post-Brawl.
I'm sure we'll find out, after the game comes out like before haha.

N3ON

Gone Exploring
BRoomer
Dr. Luigi:troll:

But seriously, probably Dixie Kong and Toon Zelda. Maybe even Black Shadow this time around?
I kinda meant new as in not previously planned...

I doubt Black Shadow though. Falcon already has a semi-clone and F-Zero isn't in any place to get a second original character atm, especially BS over Goroh, who Sakurai has previously given all the secondary attention to in that series. Maybe if we actually get a new F-Zero one day and the popularity of the supporting characters increase...

I'm sure we'll find out, after the game comes out like before haha.
Well I mean we're just now finding out about some of the characters considered last time, if Sakurai is more careful about cleaning unused placeholder data off of Smash 4's final release, we may not have an equivalent "Forbidden 7" this time around or anything. It may just come down to Sakurai's statements like with Melee and 64.

Maxilian

Smash Ace
I don't really agree, if they are going to make a character a DLC, it have to be a character that sales, it have to be a character good enough that makes people interested in buying it

Last edited:

N3ON

Gone Exploring
BRoomer
Why does that matter? Do you particularly want to see some character who hasn't made any appearances in the last six years?
Well it's the first time it's happened, so I wanted to know if it's coincidence that the final characters chosen all had titles post-Brawl, or if there weren't even any characters planned/considered who weren't also recent.

It's a change in precedent that could effect future Smash games, why would I not want to know?

Scoliosis Jones

Kept you waiting, huh?
Writing Team
NNID
ScoliosisxJones
3DS FC
1762-3194-1826
Yes,possible DLC candidates are Roy, Lucas, Squirtle, Ivysaur

and the ever-popular
:4pacman:

You didn't expect her, eh?

Can I join?
Yes. I will invite you.

Just a warning to people, the group currently consists of supprt threads for 3 vets and 3 main Newcomers. It might not be what you think it is. We're not supporting every single character out there.

BluePikmin11

Akko is my dear daughter!
NNID
blue
Yes. I will invite you.

Just a warning to people, the group currently consists of supprt threads for 3 vets and 3 main Newcomers. It might not be what you think it is. We're not supporting every single character out there.
I want to join the DLC group too, I'm pretty curious as to what happens when Sakurai announces it.

YoshiandToad

Smash Hero
Again; can't see Ridley being DLC due to him having a major role already in the game.

K. Rool? ...Maybe. More than I see him on the initial roster.

Mewtwo? I'd be far more surprised if he was on the initial roster really. As some have said; Mewtwo DLC would be a sure fire sell.

I'm not holding my breath for Lucas though.

AncientTobacco

Smash Lord
Well it's the first time it's happened, so I wanted to know if it's coincidence that the final characters chosen all had titles post-Brawl, or if there weren't even any characters planned/considered who weren't also recent.

It's a change in precedent that could effect future Smash games, why would I not want to know?
Name a good newcomer candidate who hasn't appeared in any games whatsoever post-Brawl.

True Blue Warrior

Smash Hero
NNID
TrueBlueSM
3DS FC
2036-7619-4276
I kinda meant new as in not previously planned...

I doubt Black Shadow though. Falcon already has a semi-clone and F-Zero isn't in any place to get a second original character atm, especially BS over Goroh, who Sakurai has previously given all the secondary attention to in that series. Maybe if we actually get a new F-Zero one day and the popularity of the supporting characters increase...
I see. I can't think of many other plausible newcomer semi-clones outside of those that were already planned for Brawl.

N3ON

Gone Exploring
BRoomer
I think Sakurai has heard the backlash that cutting characters causes, and with a character relatively easy to make like Lucas, it seems like it'd probably be in his best interest to be made DLC. I mean thanks to Brawl he would definitely have an audience that would purchase him.

I do think he'll likely be DLC, though I don't think it'll be in tandem with some Mother 3 localization, because I don't think that's gonna happen.

D

Deleted member

Yes. I will invite you.

Count me into the group as well. I decided to check it out already and it seems pretty tame. I think I can contribute nicely to the group.

Maxilian

Smash Ace
Again; can't see Ridley being DLC due to him having a major role already in the game.

K. Rool? ...Maybe. More than I see him on the initial roster.

Mewtwo? I'd be far more surprised if he was on the initial roster really. As some have said; Mewtwo DLC would be a sure fire sell.

I'm not holding my breath for Lucas though.
I agree that if Ridley don't come out as playable with the game, he won't come as a DLC (cause he will be a boss)

N3ON

Gone Exploring
BRoomer
Name a good newcomer candidate who hasn't appeared in any games whatsoever post-Brawl.
That's not what I said, I said a character who didn't feature in a title of theirs since pre-Brawl, which is different than making a cameo or small appearance.

Of which K. Rool, Isaac, and Takamaru (and most retro characters) can all fit. As well as any "historical reps", if that's really a thing.

In the past we've received characters who hadn't appeared since the previous gen (Samus, Ness, Marth), who had only made relatively small appearances in the years prior to their inclusion (Diddy Kong, ROB, G&W), and who hadn't appeared in any capacity for a long time (Ice Climbers, Pit), and this time we didn't get any of that, we only got characters who were relatively front-and-center in relatively notable games post-Brawl. You're saying you wouldn't want to know if that was a coincidence or most likely done deliberately?

Knight Dude

Keeping it going.
NNID
Kaine-Rodgers
3DS FC
0232-7749-6030
We talking DLC? I'm thinking Mewtwo is a possibility. If we don't get him in the initial roster, fan demand could help change that. Not to mention he was at least considered early in development this time. I guess there's Roy as well.

I think Sakurai has heard the backlash that cutting characters causes, and with a character relatively easy to make like Lucas, it seems like it'd probably be in his best interest to be made DLC. I mean thanks to Brawl he would definitely have an audience that would purchase him.

I do think he'll likely be DLC, though I don't think it'll be in tandem with some Mother 3 localization, because I don't think that's gonna happen.
Lucas wouldn't be a terrible choice for DLC actually. But for some reason I think both him and Ness can make it back in. The only thing I can really see stopping them both from being added to the roster is the new Moveset Variation thing. And that doesn't change the different A attacks and Smashes the two have.

AncientTobacco

Smash Lord
That's not what I said, I said a character who didn't feature in a title of theirs since pre-Brawl, which is different than making a cameo or small appearance.

Of which K. Rool, Isaac, and Takamaru (and most retro characters) can all fit. As well as any "historical reps", if that's really a thing.

In the past we've received characters who hadn't appeared since the previous gen (Samus, Ness, Marth), who had only made relatively small appearances in the years prior to their inclusion (Diddy Kong, ROB, G&W), and who hadn't appeared in any capacity for a long time (Ice Climbers, Pit), and this time we didn't get any of that, we only got characters who were relatively front-and-center in relatively notable games post-Brawl. You're saying you wouldn't want to know if that was a coincidence or most likely done deliberately?
Oh. I took "feature" as "appear". Just a misunderstanding, then.

Last edited:

Phaazoid

Basket
NNID
Mr.Grike
3DS FC
4854-6444-0859
I wasn't trying to say I think 4 has to be the roof. We really don't know much about it at all yet, or if there'll be any (although it is tied to sal, so...)

4 just seemed, for no logical reason, like a fair amount, in total. Even though I don't expect much dlc, I hope for as much as possible xD

Last edited:

Headcrab Jackalope

Smash Ace
NNID
Jackalope1313
3DS FC
0791-2751-5749
Switch FC
SW-2418-1451-4036

I uhh.... certainly......wouldn't mind a um....... invite to the......group... :nervous:

AustarusIV

Chariffic
NNID
AustarusIV
3DS FC
1951-0995-8868
Switch FC
SW-2630-2447-9223
If there's DLC, I'm half-expecting the characters to be those who were cut over the course of this game's development, like Squirtle and Ivysaur (assuming they're 100% out). We might even get someone like Roy back.

I don't think any of them will be treated like high-priority newcomers like the Sal characters, but I want to be wrong on this.

Phaazoid

Basket
NNID
Mr.Grike
3DS FC
4854-6444-0859
I think it would be the funniest thing ever if they announced snake tomorrow, what with the third party Nintendo direct going on

that would screw about half the board's roster predictions xD

I'd laugh pretty hard.

Headcrab Jackalope

Smash Ace
NNID
Jackalope1313
3DS FC
0791-2751-5749
Switch FC
SW-2418-1451-4036
I think it would be the funniest thing ever if they announced snake tomorrow, what with the third party Nintendo direct going on

that would screw about half the board's roster predictions xD

I'd laugh pretty hard.
And now I'm imagining Bender laughing.

If Snake is revealed, it just HAS to start with a:

"Kept you waiting, huh?"

Louie G.

Smash Hero
I swear if this happens...

Toon Link feels less like Link than Lucas feels like Ness.

However, Toon Link is staying because Sakurai considers a child Link "the real Link".
We don't really know Sakurai's thoughts on Mother, however he probably enjoys it given Lucas's inclusion.

zauberdragon

Smash Journeyman
I'm going to put my neck out and say I doubt we'll get character DLC. If we do get any post-game content I think it'll be stuff like maps and costumes. With DLC characters the online becomes split between those who have it and those who don't. Alternatively Sakurai doesn't allow them to be used online, similarly to Miis.

Hope I'm wrong and I'm sure Sakurai can find a way to make it work but I don't think DLC is the shoe-in people seem to think it is.

queenrosetta

Smash Apprentice
I'm going to put my neck out and say I doubt we'll get character DLC. If we do get any post-game content I think it'll be stuff like maps and costumes. With DLC characters the online becomes split between those who have it and those who don't. Alternatively Sakurai doesn't allow them to be used online, similarly to Miis.

Hope I'm wrong and I'm sure Sakurai can find a way to make it work but I don't think DLC is the shoe-in people seem to think it is.
For a while I thought the same thing but then I realized it's kinda like unlocking characters. People can still play with them even if you don't have them. So there's no point in not having it

FlareHabanero

Banned via Warnings
I havee no motivations with DLC if it's going to be nothing but lousy filler like people are hoping for (oddly).

I'm flat out not interested in Roy or Lucas, and I feel people should be taking advantage of a very notable factor that will cause less complaining with the batch of newcomers. Which is why I'm saying that people shouldn't purposely restrict themselves to a bunch of made up rules, because doing so will only just make people still complain in the end.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom