• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Character Discussion Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

Scoliosis Jones

Kept you waiting, huh?
Writing Team
NNID
ScoliosisxJones
3DS FC
1762-3194-1826
I havee no motivations with DLC if it's going to be nothing but lousy filler like people are hoping for (oddly).

I'm flat out not interested in Roy or Lucas, and I feel people should be taking advantage of a very notable factor that will cause less complaining with the batch of newcomers. Which is why I'm saying that people shouldn't purposely restrict themselves to a bunch of made up rules, because doing so will only just make people still complain in the end.
To me, the guy who essentially runs the DLC group, I'm restricting myself from supporting characters that already have roles because it makes sense to not support them at this point in time.

Somebody put hard work on those characters, and that was the intent of the team. It was the intent to make Ridley a boss. It was the intent to make Waluigi an Assist Trophy. If I were to start tweeting and making a stink out of Ridley being a boss and wanting him as DLC, I find it hard to believe that I would taken seriously. I'd get laughed out of most places.

Are my criteria set upon my own standards? Absolutely. But they make complete sense. There is no way to satisfy everybody. The DLC group itself is made to be a more focused effort, because letting it be a free for all is unorganized and accomplishes nothing. I'm open to fan choices in the future, but right now I'd like to get other things out of the way. Most of the character list I'm focusing on is filled with characters people have interest in. Snake, Mewtwo, K.Rool, Lucas, and even Wonder Red have people who are fairly interested in them.

Regular trophies are completely different based on the fact that they don't have a larger role such as an AT or Boss. Or random Smash Run enemy.

I mean really, the concept of "X character already having a role = not being eligible for DLC" is a standard that a lot of people agree with. It's not like it's some random and unfounded claim. It makes complete sense.

CrusherMania1592

Deaf Smasher
Premium
3DS FC
5472-7454-3545
Brawl made it way too easy to unlock everyone. Melee was awesome because you had to go to classic, to event matches, to multi-man melee to unlock all the characters. It made unlocking characters seem more like an accomplishment. And you reeeeaaally felt awesome having a character so well hidden. I remember wowing my friends as a kid when I had Mewtwo but no one else did.
Exactly. I got bummed after only three days and I already got the characters when it took years (mind you I didn't pay attention to the internet until '06) for characters like Mewtwo, Pichu, Luigi, and G&W. Those were probably the ones that took the longest to unlock.

DLC? Only ones I can think of off the top of my head are Mewtwo, Lucas, Wolf, Squirtle, Roy, and maybe one new character (Isaac)

domokl

Smash Lord
Exactly. I got bummed after only three days and I already got the characters when it took years (mind you I didn't pay attention to the internet until '06) for characters like Mewtwo, Pichu, Luigi, and G&W. Those were probably the ones that took the longest to unlock.

DLC? Only ones I can think of off the top of my head are Mewtwo, Lucas, Wolf, Squirtle, Roy, and maybe one new character (Isaac)
Why would wolf be cut?

Xinc

Smash Lord
NNID
xincmars
3DS FC
2981-7601-8481
I doubt Wolf would be cut. Nintendo wants to add iconic villains as well as heros, meaning that Wolf should make it since he is technically an iconic antagonist. Same reason for Ganondorf for Zelda.

Opossum

Thread Title Changer
BRoomer
NNID
OpossumGuy
3DS FC
4742-4911-3431
Switch FC
SW 2859 6322 5208
Wolf is actually my second most wanted veteran to see, snuggly between Ice Climbers and R.O.B.

Louie G.

Smash Hero
Mine is as follows.
1. Mewtwo
2. Wario
3. Meta Knight
4. Wolf
5. Captain Falcon

Something like that. I really want to see everyone else too, notably Ness and G&W.

N3ON

Gone Exploring
BRoomer
Whatever logic there is that convinced Sakurai he didn't need both Ness and Lucas could work just the same with Fox, Falco, and Wolf.

I don't think it will, I think we'll still get all three, but it could.

D

Deleted member

I'm excited to see every Brawl vet(besides Ivysaur, Squirtle, Snake, and depending on what happens, Lucas) I just really want to see how everyone looks in glorious HD. Oh, and of course Mewtwo if he comes back.

Opossum

Thread Title Changer
BRoomer
NNID
OpossumGuy
3DS FC
4742-4911-3431
Switch FC
SW 2859 6322 5208
If I had to make a list out of it...

Ice Climbers
Wolf
R.O.B.
Jigglypuff
Mewtwo
Mr. Game and Watch
Ness
Captain Falcon
Meta Knight
Wario
Ganondorf
Falco

That's my list of veterans who I think are returning, in the order of "I'd be hyped to see these" from screaming with joy hype to meh.

shinhed-echi

Smash Hero
NNID
punchtropics
3DS FC
5301-0890-0238
My most wanted vets to return are:

Pokemon Trainer (as a fighter)
Wolf
ROB
Squirtle
Ivysaur
Captain Falcon

Already in:
Sonic
Zero Suit Samus
Charizard

But ideally, I'd cut any of them (except Sonic and ZSS) if it meant unrepresented franchises getting a character.

BKupa666

Barnacled Boss
I would enjoy seeing Wario, Ganondorf, and Wolf, in that order.

But not Wario tonight. The sheer stupidity that would bring about due to that wishlist by (known troll) -Ghetsis- would be earth-shaking, and I'd rather steer clear of it.

Last edited:

AEMehr

Mii Fighter
As long as everyone that represents their own franchises returns, I can deal with the majority of possible cuts.

Except Falco, if we lose Falco I lose the only person that plays Smash with me and I would rather not play the Wii U version alone.

ihskeyp

Smash Ace
Ice Climbers are the vet I want to see most. I'm sure they'll be in, but I really hope they announce them before release so I don't get all nervous about it lol

Edit: I thought the Gematsu plus leak still had next week for Warios announcement?

Last edited:

BKupa666

Barnacled Boss
If we did get Wario tonight that'd be one lucky troll.
Would it really, though? You've got Wario, Meta Knight, Ice Climbers, and Lucas left from Brawl's starting roster, and everyone and their mother is treating Lucas as 100% disconfirmed. Going for the obvious choices, he had a one-in-three chance of getting the veteran right over a two week period (during a time where there hadn't been any new veterans for over a month), which isn't too shabby.

Con0rrrr

PPMD Kreygasm
NNID
Con0rrrr
3DS FC
4656-6340-0779
It doesn't matter whether Wario is revealed or not tonight. That's an extremely likely roster at launch. And when the game comes out and the roster ends up being that people will wonder whether the "leal" was right or lucky. But it really doesn't matter.

N3ON

Gone Exploring
BRoomer
Would it really, though? You've got Wario, Meta Knight, Ice Climbers, and Lucas left from Brawl's starting roster, and everyone and their mother is treating Lucas as 100% disconfirmed. Going for the obvious choices, he had a one-in-three chance of getting the veteran right over a two week period (during a time where there hadn't been any new veterans for over a month), which isn't too shabby.
I think it would, he would gain a lot of believers to his rumor. And that's what every troll who makes a fake leak wants, right? There'd be no way to disprove it past deconfirming the characters, which might not happen for a while yet.

And given that we've had previously unlockable characters revealed, it's more than a one-in-three chance as far as newcomers, though yeah Wario is one of the more likely.

Con0rrrr

PPMD Kreygasm
NNID
Con0rrrr
3DS FC
4656-6340-0779
If I was making that leak, I'd say captain falcon reveal tommorow or this weekend at EVO. Not saying I know any info
or maybe i do

BluePikmin11

Akko is my dear daughter!
NNID
blue
My god, we said the same thing to Lucas, there being no reason to cut him is a poor reason for why Wolf is not being cut.
Give me more reasons, I think the strongest reason so far is probably time constraints.

N3ON

Gone Exploring
BRoomer
My god, we said the same thing to Lucas, there being no reason to cut him is a poor reason for why Wolf is not being cut.
Give me more reasons, I think the strongest reason so far is probably time constraints.
Because Sakurai finds three characters based on the same moveset redundant and clearly Smash tenure goes a long way.

Would be my best guess if Wolf got cut.

Mr. Keebs

Luiginator
NNID
Elf-Master
3DS FC
2921-9429-2474
Wolf and Lucas are totally going to be cut. RIP with :roymelee::mewtwomelee: and :drmario:

Mr. Keebs

Luiginator
NNID
Elf-Master
3DS FC
2921-9429-2474
I really want to see the Ice Climbers, they have been my mains with Marth since Melee.

.n_n.
I really think they'll be in there even if Sakurai doesn't announce them prior to the games launch

If I had to make a list out of it...

Ice Climbers
Wolf
R.O.B.
Jigglypuff
Mewtwo
Mr. Game and Watch
Ness
Captain Falcon
Meta Knight
Wario
Ganondorf
Falco

That's my list of veterans who I think are returning, in the order of "I'd be hyped to see these" from screaming with joy hype to meh.
Nice list. I agree with all but Wolf and Mewtwo. I think if they add too many Pokemon to the game it'll look lazy on Sakurais part. Jiggilypuff is a veteran with perfect attendance so he's obviously going to be in. That leaves us with 5 Pokemon representing the series and that seems like enough for me considering Nintendo has plenty of other franchises to pick characters from. As for Wolf, ever since Brawl came out and I found out he was in the game, I've never really seen him as a character that would return. Who knows they really surprised me with Lucario and Ike returning (Ike not so much as Lucario. I thought Mewtwo would replace Lucario but apparently not. I thought Chrom would replace Ike but I could see all 3 [Marth, Ike, and Chrom] being in Smash 4 now)

Last edited by a moderator:

Jedisupersonic

Eight Leaves One Kame Style
NNID
Jedisupersonic
3DS FC
4871-3983-7566
Nice list. I agree with all but Wolf and Mewtwo. I think if they add too many Pokemon to the game it'll look lazy on Sakurais part. Jiggilypuff is a veteran with perfect attendance so he's obviously going to be in. That leaves us with 5 Pokemon representing the series and that seems like enough for me considering Nintendo has plenty of other franchises to pick characters from. As for Wolf, ever since Brawl came out and I found out he was in the game, I've never really seen him as a character that would return. Who knows they really surprised me with Lucario and Ike returning (Ike not so much as Lucario. I thought Mewtwo would replace Lucario but apparently not. I thought Chrom would replace Ike but I could see all 3 [Marth, Ike, and Chrom] being in Smash 4 now)
You do realize. Gamefreak has all control on what Pokemon end up in smash or not right. It wouldn't really be laziness on Sakurai's part.

epicgordan

Smash Ace
Because Sakurai finds three characters based on the same moveset redundant and clearly Smash tenure goes a long way.

Would be my best guess if Wolf got cut.
We don't really know this yet. What we do know is that Smash 4 is going to have very little cuts, and the game will put more an emphasis on the veterans rather than the newcomers. Those that we have gotten so far are all exceptionally unique in their own way, even the least unique and, for lack of a better word, gimmicky of the bunch like Greninja. And arguably Wii Fit Trainer as well.

Besides, Fox, Falco, and Wolf are all essentially the perfect representation of the Star Fox series, having been in all of them since Star Fox 64 (at least), which was remade for the 3DS just a couple years ago. Toon Link's confirmed return a while back essentially eliminates the clone argument from any of these characters, whereas Ike's confirmation pretty much opens the floodgates for any and all of the Brawl veterans save for Snake, Ivysaur and Squirtle, and even then, there is still a large number of people out there that are holding out for Snake's return due to the recent gematsu leak not making any mention of him. The only clone character that is in any serious jeopardy of getting cut is Lucas, and setting the gematsu leak aside, he is in a familiar situation that Roy was in for Brawl; a clone or semi-clone character that came from a game that was never released outside of Japan, and was also a one-and-done protagonist in his own series. Now, there is still some hope for Lucas in DLC form if he does get cut, but of all the remaining clone veterans in the woodworks, he's the least likely to return.

And speaking of DLC, why hasn't anybody figured out that perhaps this DLC they speak of will be in Amiibo form. Perhaps the DLC content will be stored in special Amiibo figures that you can use so that you don't have to buy the same character twice for both the 3DS and Wii U. What could also support this unique form of DLC content is the fact that such a system can be used without having to worry about spacing issues on the 3DS. In addition, I imagine the Amiibos can be used as an alternate method of unlocking secret characters without having to fight them (in addition to the methods already present in-game, like clearing Target Smash).

Mr. Keebs

Luiginator
NNID
Elf-Master
3DS FC
2921-9429-2474
You do realize. Gamefreak has all control on what Pokemon end up in smash or not right. It wouldn't really be laziness on Sakurai's part.
If Game Freak allowed a certain Pokemon to be in Smash, it would be lazy on Sakurais part for putting him in the game. I'm pretty sure Game Freak isn't developing the game. Sakurai has the final word on whos in and whos out right? All Game Freak can do is merely make a suggestion right..?

N3ON

Gone Exploring
BRoomer
@ Mr. Keebs Mr. Keebs
Please don't double post. Edit your existing post or wait for someone else to post before posting again, thanks~

We don't really know this yet. What we do know is that Smash 4 is going to have very little cuts, and the game will put more an emphasis on the veterans rather than the newcomers. Those that we have gotten so far are all exceptionally unique in their own way, even the least unique and, for lack of a better word, gimmicky of the bunch like Greninja. And arguably Wii Fit Trainer as well.

Besides, Fox, Falco, and Wolf are all essentially the perfect representation of the Star Fox series, having been in all of them since Star Fox 64 (at least), which was remade for the 3DS just a couple years ago. Toon Link's confirmed return a while back essentially eliminates the clone argument from any of these characters, whereas Ike's confirmation pretty much opens the floodgates for any and all of the Brawl veterans save for Snake, Ivysaur and Squirtle, and even then, there is still a large number of people out there that are holding out for Snake's return due to the recent gematsu leak not making any mention of him. The only clone character that is in any serious jeopardy of getting cut is Lucas, and setting the gematsu leak aside, he is in a familiar situation that Roy was in for Brawl; a clone or semi-clone character that came from a game that was never released outside of Japan, and was also a one-and-done protagonist in his own series. Now, there is still some hope for Lucas in DLC form if he does get cut, but of all the remaining clone veterans in the woodworks, he's the least likely to return.

And speaking of DLC, why hasn't anybody figured out that perhaps this DLC they speak of will be in Amiibo form. Perhaps the DLC content will be stored in special Amiibo figures that you can use so that you don't have to buy the same character twice for both the 3DS and Wii U. What could also support this unique form of DLC content is the fact that such a system can be used without having to worry about spacing issues on the 3DS. In addition, I imagine the Amiibos can be used as an alternate method of unlocking secret characters without having to fight them (in addition to the methods already present in-game, like clearing Target Smash).
No, we don't know this yet, that's why it was a guess over a hypothetical situation... the question I responded to wasn't whether or not I thought Wolf would be cut, but rather if he was what might the reasoning behind it be.

If Game Freak allowed a certain Pokemon to be in Smash, it would be lazy on Sakurais part for putting him in the game. I'm pretty sure Game Freak isn't developing the game. Sakurai has the final word on whos in and whos out right? All Game Freak can do is merely make a suggestion right..?
Game Freak has control over Pokemon content in Smash and all Sakurai can do is find an agreement on representation that they both find acceptable.

Opossum

Thread Title Changer
BRoomer
NNID
OpossumGuy
3DS FC
4742-4911-3431
Switch FC
SW 2859 6322 5208
How on Earth would it be "lazy?" That doesn't even make sense...

False Sense

Ad Astra Per Aspera
NNID
FalseSense
3DS FC
3368-2599-3209
How on Earth would it be "lazy?" That doesn't even make sense...
Adding a character = Being lazy

Something doesn't add up.

Mr. Keebs

Luiginator
NNID
Elf-Master
3DS FC
2921-9429-2474
I don't see why you are including Wolf in that group.
Because Wolf has little unique play style along with Lucas. Dr. Mario, Roy, Mewtwo, and Pichu were all cut from Melee three of which were clones and Mewtwo transferred alot of his play style (they're pretty similar) to Lucario. I think the developers like to add more unique experiences to the games but hey, Wolf IS a major antagonist for Star Fox and a highly reasonable representative but i really can't see Fox, Falco, AND Wolf in Smash 4 all while making them entirely unique. Heck the only reason I think Falco will return is because I also can't see Star Fox only having 1 representative, hmm...

Jedisupersonic

Eight Leaves One Kame Style
NNID
Jedisupersonic
3DS FC
4871-3983-7566
Because Wolf has little unique play style along with Lucas. Dr. Mario, Roy, Mewtwo, and Pichu were all cut from Melee three of which were clones and Mewtwo transferred alot of his play style (they're pretty similar) to Lucario. I think the developers like to add more unique experiences to the games but hey, Wolf IS a major antagonist for Star Fox and a highly reasonable representative but i really can't see Fox, Falco, AND Wolf in Smash 4 all while making them entirely unique. Heck the only reason I think Falco will return is because I also can't see Star Fox only having 1 representative, hmm...
Pretty sure the only thing Lucario and Mewtwo have in similar at all is their B moves and even those work pretty differently.

May have a point with Wolf, but even he has quite different A moves from Fox and his B's all work differently

Last edited:

Mr. Keebs

Luiginator
NNID
Elf-Master
3DS FC
2921-9429-2474
Adding a character = Being lazy

Something doesn't add up.
Having bus load of Pokemon in Super Smash Bros when there are tons of other franchises Nintendo has characters from = lazy. You DO realize Smash 4 is going to have a limited roster right. This isn't Oprah. You're in Smash! You're in Smash, Everyone's in Smash!

Gunla

It's my bit, you see.
Administrator
BRoomer
Writing Team
I see everyone wants Wario?
Don't get your hopes too uncrushably high... Or do!

Personally, I want Falco Friday. But Wario is a starter and he'd come first, imo.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom