• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Character Discussion Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

Opossum

Thread Title Changer
BRoomer
NNID
OpossumGuy
3DS FC
4742-4911-3431
Switch FC
SW 2859 6322 5208
It doesn't make sense at all because every character that isn't playable will fall into that, and having the role of an Assist Trophy would actually benefit the developers more because recycling reasources will save time and money on development whilestill satisfying the audiences.
One way to think of it would be like this. If they're an Assist Trophy, it means that that's the role they've been planned to have for a while. They've also apparently been planning DLC for a while. DLC would likely consist of characters that they'd either not had plans to do something with yet, or ones that they had planned, but couldn't finish. If they're already planned for an AT or boss, why go back on it this late in the game?

N3ON

Gone Exploring
BRoomer
Ridley, King Dedede, King K Rool, Diddy Kong, Geno, Sonic, Megaman, Krystal

I think those were the common ones. Wasn't Isaac high on requests as well?
Bomberman, Olimar, an AC Character, and yes, Isaac too.

To a lesser extent Lyn, Ike, Goroh, Midna, Ray, Lucas, Claus, Waluigi, Deoxys, Sukapon, etc.

But K. Rool wasn't that requested, most of the demand for a new DK character was centered on Diddy. Once he was confirmed the demand for more DK characters sort of dissipated before reforming for Smash 4 (in part due to DKCR).

D

Deleted member

It doesn't make sense at all because every character that isn't playable will fall into that, and having the role of an Assist Trophy would actually benefit the developers more because recycling reasources will save time and money on development whilestill satisfying the audiences.
"Every character that isn't playable will fall into that".
No, no they won't.
Only select few receive non-Trophy roles (i.e. roles that would actually hinder DLC shots), and there are cases where they don't even get a Trophy.

Con0rrrr

PPMD Kreygasm
NNID
Con0rrrr
3DS FC
4656-6340-0779
I imagine when the game comes out there'll be hints towards DLC characters. Whether it be through references, hidden things in trophies, or anything else. They are probably in the planning stages of DLC right now, as with development of most other games, right at the end of development before the game goes gold they decide what will be done for DLC.

Edit: Also, for me, Mewtwo seems more like an on disc character while Jiggly could be DLC

Last edited:

Phaazoid

Basket
NNID
Mr.Grike
3DS FC
4854-6444-0859
>Game isn't even out yet
>Tons of DLC speculation

If this isn't setting ourselves up for potential disappointment I don't know what is. Focus on the whatchya got.

N3ON

Gone Exploring
BRoomer
I'd rather have DLC speculation than the "secret secret character who is just hidden really really well" speculation that happens post-release every time. :rolleyes:

Phaazoid

Basket
NNID
Mr.Grike
3DS FC
4854-6444-0859
I'd rather have DLC speculation than the "secret secret character who is just hidden really really well" speculation that happens post-release every time. :rolleyes:

But it's also kinda hard to speculate on initial newcomers when lots think we already know them all...
At least those can be shot dead pretty easily by the pop up that you've unlocked the entire roster.

I do agree that gematsu has kinda killed a lot of potential speculation, and it saddens me...

Last edited:

Jason the Yoshi

Watching Me, Wanting Me
Lately I've been thinking about this thing about customized move sets, and it brings up a question about Captain Fakcon, what would the different customizations of the Falcon punch be and how would they work?

Phaazoid

Basket
NNID
Mr.Grike
3DS FC
4854-6444-0859
Lately I've been thinking about this thing about customized move sets, and it brings up a question about Captain Fakcon, what would the different customizations of the Falcon punch be and how would they work?
Maybe a slower more powerful one with some super armor, and a faster less powerful one? There's a lot of ways it could go. Fairly exciting concept.

I wonder how Megaman's stuff is gonna get changed, he's got so many projectiles.

And Villager's pocket.

Jedisupersonic

Eight Leaves One Kame Style
NNID
Jedisupersonic
3DS FC
4871-3983-7566
I kind of want to see an Electric based Falcon Punch.. Like the anime sorta did

D

Deleted member

>Game isn't even out yet
>Tons of DLC speculation

If this isn't setting ourselves up for potential disappointment I don't know what is. Focus on the whatchya got.
If this ends up happening, I'll just be sitting in my chair laughing because I seem to be one of the extremely few people who don't want newcomer DLC, and would be indifferent to veteran DLC. I would like other types of DLC, but I'm still not getting any hopes up at all.

Phaazoid

Basket
NNID
Mr.Grike
3DS FC
4854-6444-0859
If this ends up happening, I'll just be sitting in my chair laughing because I seem to be one of the extremely few people who don't want newcomer DLC, and would be indifferent to veteran DLC. I would like other types of DLC, but I'm still not getting any hopes up at all.
I would love DLC. I just don't see it happening. But that's not why I think the DLC speculation is annoying.

It's annoying because people are basically assuming they already know the entire roster, and they don't like it, X didn't make it. It's like a complete hand wave of the actual roster because X didn't get in.

idk. I could maybe see dlc for cut vets, or forbidden 7 type material, but I don't see straight newcomer stuff happening.

epicgordan

Smash Ace
As far as potential character DLC is concerned, assuming they don't make it in: Captain Toad, King K. Rool, Impa, Ridley***, Hades, Dark Pit, Krystal, Black Shadow, Mewtwo*, Blaziken, Roy*, Lucas*, Isaac, Wonder Red, Snake**

* Returning veterans
** May only happen if Sakurai decides to honor Kojima's recent request (and if Snake indeed gets his trophy)
*** Even if Ridley is just a boss, the Ridley that is fought in Other M isn't the real Ridley but a clone. This could likely be the case yet again in Pyrosphere. Besides, couldn't it just be excepted that the two Ridleys would look different and have different sizes?

Phaazoid

Basket
NNID
Mr.Grike
3DS FC
4854-6444-0859
As far as potential character DLC is concerned, assuming they don't make it in: Captain Toad, King K. Rool, Impa, Ridley***, Hades, Dark Pit, Krystal, Black Shadow, Mewtwo*, Blaziken, Roy*, Lucas*, Isaac, Wonder Red, Snake**
See, this is what I'm talking about. If they weren't prominent enough to get on the roster, chances are they won't be DLC. That's gonna go for Impa, Hades, Krystal, Dark Pit, and Blaziken at least. I see 0 chance of any of them being DLC.

We're not gonna get like 10 new characters through dlc, that's crazy, and a lot of work.

I'll give you the vets.

Con0rrrr

PPMD Kreygasm
NNID
Con0rrrr
3DS FC
4656-6340-0779
Captain Toad, Bandanna Dee, Jiggly/Mewtwo (whichever isn't on the roster), Lucas, Maybe a star fox character do coinside with Star Fox U.

That's what I have for DLC. If Ridley or K Rool aren't on the initial roster, they're not gonna be DLC. Popular guys like that are needed on the initial roster to make people want the game. Smaller characters are more DLC worthy in my opinion.

D

Deleted member

idk. I could maybe see dlc for cut vets, or forbidden 7 type material, but I don't see straight newcomer stuff happening.
Yeah, that's the most I see happening, but a bunch of newcomers like several people are predicting seems more like a wishlist and less like a prediction like you said, even though their is no solid evidence for it to happen. I'm just ignoring the possibility of DLC for the time being to prevent disappointment of any kind.

Last edited by a moderator:
D

Deleted member

I'm actually pessimistic when it comes to DLC and expect 4 characters at most.

shrooby

Let me know when I'm supposed to laugh, okay?
BRoomer
NNID
shrooby
3DS FC
2320-6364-8294
I'm still trying to unlock Sonic and Tails in Melee.

Rockaphin

Smash Champion
NNID
Rockaphin
3DS FC
2595-0113-8473
I remember a friend of mine told me that you can unlock Metal Wario by beating Classic Mode on the hardest difficulty without losing a stock and shoot all the names and signs during the credits. I can't believe I fell for it. Metal Wario, seriously? :facepalm:

Mind you, I was in the fourth grade lol

Last edited:

Con0rrrr

PPMD Kreygasm
NNID
Con0rrrr
3DS FC
4656-6340-0779
Don't forget toad. I've gotten really good at hitting the names at the end but I still can't get them all...
Speaking of unlocking characters in Melee, I reaaaaaally hope they bring back at least some characters hidden in different modes. Brawl made it way too easy to unlock everyone. Melee was awesome because you had to go to classic, to event matches, to multi-man melee to unlock all the characters. It made unlocking characters seem more like an accomplishment. And you reeeeaaally felt awesome having a character so well hidden. I remember wowing my friends as a kid when I had Mewtwo but no one else did.

Dalek_Kolt

Smash Master
I remember a friend of mine told me that you can unlock Metal Wario by beating Classic Mode on the hardest difficulty without losing a stock and shoot all the names and signs during the credits. I can't believe I fell for it. Metal Wario, seriously? :facepalm:

Mind you, I was in the fourth grade lol
My brother told me that beating Adventure mode with the Fire Emblem characters on the hardest difficulty would unlock Marth and Roy's father.

To be fair, no one knew what the hell Fire Emblem was back in Melee.

Phaazoid

Basket
NNID
Mr.Grike
3DS FC
4854-6444-0859
I had a friend who always tried to get me to believe crap like that in games, I was super gullible. He would always play dumb when they didn't work, or they were too impossible to achieve.

I finally realized he was just being a jerk when there was a third friend over who didn't realize I didn't know I was the gullible one and asked the first friend what he was gonna try and fool me with next

lower school was rough xD

Last edited:

ZeldaMaster

Smash Lord
My brother told me that beating Adventure mode with the Fire Emblem characters on the hardest difficulty would unlock Marth and Roy's father.

To be fair, no one knew what the hell Fire Emblem was back in Melee.
I laughed so hard at that.... Ah, if you think about it, Marth and Roy must have been the most WTF characters when people first discovered them in Melee, because they came from a franchise that no one in the West even knew existed

D

Deleted member

I had a friend who always tried to get me to believe crap like that in games, I was super gullible. He would always play dumb when they didn't work, or they were too impossible to achieve.

I finally realized he was just being a jerk when there was a third friend over who didn't realize I didn't know I was the gullible one and asked the first friend what he was gonna try and fool me with next

lower school was rough xD
That sucks, I never really had friends like that when I was really young. Actually, I feel that's happening more now that I'm in high school. I have a group of friends who are legitimately telling me there are two super shadow final bosses in Shadow the Hedgehog, yet no matter how much info I show them on the game, or how much I tell them that's BS, they still believe. There was also one guy who, a few weeks before E3 this year, told me Pac-Man was already officially confirmed, so I told him if that were true, I would have known within seconds.

Phaazoid

Basket
NNID
Mr.Grike
3DS FC
4854-6444-0859
That sucks, I never really had friends like that when I was really young. Actually, I feel that's happening more now that I'm in high school. I have a group of friends who are legitimately telling me there are two super shadow final bosses in Shadow the Hedgehog, yet no matter how much info I show them on the game, or how much I tell them that's BS, they still believe. There was also one guy who, a few weeks before E3 this year, told me Pac-Man was already officially confirmed, so I told him if that were true, I would have known within seconds.
There are always gonna people like that. Especially in high school, when nobody really knows who they are yet. I remember when I was a freshman in highschool, there was this senior who sat next to me on the bus home, and would always spout these long and so, so obviously bull**** stories about himself, but would get very offended if you questioned their legitimacy. He was a funny guy, but there was definitely something up with him. Teen angst is one of the biggest causes of being a douche, haha. Just make sure to be on top of your sources and stick to your guns, and don't feel like it's your responsibility to keep others informed, especially if they're gonna try to pull your leg.

Bowserlick

Smash Hero
I like the four DL character number being tossed around.

Downloadable: Mewtwo, DK character, Mach Rider and Toad (or Captain Toad)

~Krystal~

True American Heroine
I admire everyone's ability to remain optimistic about downloadable characters that are actually original, and not semi-clones with cut vets strewn in.

N3ON

Gone Exploring
BRoomer
If we get four, I'd guess it'd be:
Mewtwo
Lucas
Partially Programmed Originally Scrapped Character #1
Partially Programmed Originally Scrapped Character #2

And maybe but probably not Squirtle and Ivysaur as well.

Maxilian

Smash Ace
At least those can be shot dead pretty easily by the pop up that you've unlocked the entire roster.

I do agree that gematsu has kinda killed a lot of potential speculation, and it saddens me...
There's always a leak that kill the potential speculation but guess what? the speculation never ends and the community always gets disappointed, cause we always want more, that won't change...

D

Deleted member

I'm still trying to unlock Sonic and Tails in Melee.
git gud.

This seems like a reasonable upper bound to me. Mainly because I only really see as DLC probable are cuts like Mewtwo and Lucas (assuming sally) , or maybe, maybe a character they didn't finish.
For some strange reason, I'm thinking Lucas is being held off as DLC for when Mother 3 actually does get an international Virtual Console release.
Or should I say..."Earthbound Advance"?

Jason the Yoshi

Watching Me, Wanting Me
If we get four, I'd guess it'd be:
Mewtwo
Lucas
Partially Programmed Originally Scrapped Character #1
Partially Programmed Originally Scrapped Character #2

And maybe but probably not Squirtle and Ivysaur as well.
Out of curiosity, who would these "Partially Programmed Originally Scrapped Characters" be? Wasn't the roster already finalized before development even started?

Con0rrrr

PPMD Kreygasm
NNID
Con0rrrr
3DS FC
4656-6340-0779
Here's what I think people are missing. Nintendo has a huge chance to sell different franchises through Smash DLC now. I could see them using it almost as advertisement over the years. It would work phenomenally. I remember when I saw a kid I never heard of Metroid till I saw Samus in Melee. And her blaster was just so cool to me I had to pick up her game. It was free advertisement for Nintendo. It sold me on the entire Metroid franchise.

Nintendo would be stupid not to use that same idea through DLC over the years. Need to sell Star Fox U? Sales not meeting expectations? Either release free Star Fox character as DLC, or give a popup in game that says Krystal or Slippy or whoever is now available for purchase. Same goes for Splatoon. Wanna sell more copies? Get the character's name out in Smash, kids will see it, they'll enjoy the character, and want to check out their game.

Smash is for sure to be one of the top 3 games to be sold on Wii U. Releasing characters to sell games is such a genius idea that I really hope they do not miss. Smash can work as free advertisement. This is why most of my DLC character choices coincide with games being released into 2015, Captain Toad, Star Fox rep, maybe Splatoon rep, potential pokemon rep. It just makes too much sense.

I don't wanna hear "Nintendo isn't one to do that". Nintendo is slowly entering the digital age and DLC is part of that. They need to seel Wii Us and games. And Smash is the most perfect outlet to do that.

N3ON

Gone Exploring
BRoomer
Out of curiosity, who would these "Partially Programmed Originally Scrapped Characters" be? Wasn't the roster already finalized before development even started?
Well the roster being "finalized" means that there is a selection of characters planned for the game, but that doesn't mean the list won't get narrowed down as characters might fall by the wayside for whatever reason (keeping on schedule, difficulty programming a character, etc), resulting in another situation where there were planned characters who didn't make it, that happens every time. And they'd be the easiest to pick back up and finish over a totally new character.

It's more like Sakurai has an initial bunch of characters he aims to include, but not all of them do wind up being included. Now however, he can go back and finish some of the partially complete ones that had to or did get scrapped.

D

Deleted member

Here's what I think people are missing. Nintendo has a huge chance to sell different franchises through Smash DLC now. I could see them using it almost as advertisement over the years. It would work phenomenally. I remember when I saw a kid I never heard of Metroid till I saw Samus in Melee. And her blaster was just so cool to me I had to pick up her game. It was free advertisement for Nintendo. It sold me on the entire Metroid franchise.

Nintendo would be stupid not to use that same idea through DLC over the years. Need to sell Star Fox U? Sales not meeting expectations? Either release free Star Fox character as DLC, or give a popup in game that says Krystal or Slippy or whoever is now available for purchase. Same goes for Splatoon. Wanna sell more copies? Get the character's name out in Smash, kids will see it, they'll enjoy the character, and want to check out their game.

Smash is for sure to be one of the top 3 games to be sold on Wii U. Releasing characters to sell games is such a genius idea that I really hope they do not miss. Smash can work as free advertisement. This is why most of my DLC character choices coincide with games being released into 2015, Captain Toad, Star Fox rep, maybe Splatoon rep, potential pokemon rep. It just makes too much sense.

I don't wanna hear "Nintendo isn't one to do that". Nintendo is slowly entering the digital age and DLC is part of that. They need to seel Wii Us and games. And Smash is the most perfect outlet to do that.
You just gave me an idea. Maybe if you buy say, Star Fox U as an example. You get Krystal in Smash for "free" as oppose to having to pay separately for that character(and the game if you want it). That way you get a character and a game. Talk about the ultimate money grabber.

Bowserlick

Smash Hero
With Wii U sales finally picking up, Ninty might be krazy not to include DL characters. Smash could be the game that keeps people interested in the Wii U. Ride Mario Kart's momentum.

Dalek_Kolt

Smash Master
What bugs me about DLC is that we're talking about characters not good enough to be put in the game, before we know who's in.

I'll gladly talk DLC characters once the 3DS version comes out, but for now the idea that Lucas is just lumped with the characters not good enough for the final version and that entire unique characters like K. Rool and Ridley are dismissed as DLC rather than part of the main roster just annoys me.

Last edited:

Con0rrrr

PPMD Kreygasm
NNID
Con0rrrr
3DS FC
4656-6340-0779
You just gave me an idea. Maybe if you buy say, Star Fox U as an example. You get Krystal in Smash for "free" as oppose to having to pay separately for that character(and the game if you want it). That way you get a character and a game. Talk about the ultimate money grabber.
There ya go. I'm not sure they would take it that far. But it certainly would be a great idea.

N3ON

Gone Exploring
BRoomer
What bugs me about DLC is that we're talking about characters not good enough to be put in the game, before we know who's in.

I'll gladly talk DLC characters once the 3DS version comes out, but for now the idea that Lucas is just lumped with the characters not good enough for the final version and that entire unique characters like K. Rool and Ridley are dismissed as DLC rather than part of the main roster just annoys me.
We've been talking about characters that "aren't good enough" literally since speculation started. It's not like people are saying Ridley and K. Rool and Lucas aren't good enough, the support for them will show the opposite... we're just working with what we've got here, with a situation that looks like they won't be part of the main roster. If anything people are trying to convince themselves of situations happening where these characters are still "good enough" to find their way onto the roster even if it means DLC.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom